Colorado WRX 2022

pseudoswede

I played Columbine yesterday. My non-existent Highlands Ranch short game definitely got exposed. Hit the ball well but had a hard time getting the ball in the hole. Juicy rough, always chipping over little hills, bad lag putting, and lipping everything close in led to a brutal 81 on the day. Cool course but I always leave feeling a little thankful its not my everyday...

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

21 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

I played Columbine yesterday. My non-existent Highlands Ranch short game definitely got exposed. Hit the ball well but had a hard time getting the ball in the hole. Juicy rough, always chipping over little hills, bad lag putting, and lipping everything close in led to a brutal 81 on the day. Cool course but I always leave feeling a little thankful its not my everyday...

Love Columbine Valley as a neighborhood, I think Columbine is a awesome club with great amenities, their par-3 is one of my favorites anywhere. That golf course, with it's 10,000,000 centerline bunkers, is a pain in my a*s. They're constantly redoing it, they just can't get it right.

3 hours ago, ztull said:

Love Columbine Valley as a neighborhood, I think Columbine is a awesome club with great amenities, their par-3 is one of my favorites anywhere. That golf course, with it's 10,000,000 centerline bunkers, is a pain in my a*s. They're constantly redoing it, they just can't get it right.

I played Columbine CC for a U.S. am qualifier a few years ago (I had no business playing in that). I was pretty underwhelmed by the course. 

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

17 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I played Columbine CC for a U.S. am qualifier a few years ago (I had no business playing in that). I was pretty underwhelmed by the course. 

I played in it this year and I was really happy with the reno they did a couple years ago. Those fairway bunkers were horribly stupid IMO. Now they have at least staggered them so it opens up the fairway a little bit if hitting the right shot shape.

Before it literally felt like: "let's just make this 510 yard par 4 as hard as possible"

SIDE NOTE: I heard from several members in previous years that they intentionally made the course as hard as they could so the scoring record from the PGA Championship will never be beat. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Joelness said:

I played in it this year and I was really happy with the reno they did a couple years ago. Those fairway bunkers were horribly stupid IMO. Now they have at least staggered them so it opens up the fairway a little bit if hitting the right shot shape.

Before it literally felt like: "let's just make this 510 yard par 4 as hard as possible"

SIDE NOTE: I heard from several members in previous years that they intentionally made the course as hard as they could so the scoring record from the PGA Championship will never be beat. 🤦‍♂️

Famous quote from Nicklaus coming off 18 at that PGA Championship, “I don’t ever want to play this f**king dog track again.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Joelness said:

Haha, I don't really remember that much about it. This was 5 years ago. The only thing I remember is I played with a kid from CSU who just absolutely bombed it and I can tell you I don't think he saw a single fairway bunker when he looked down the fairway to the green. It definitely did not play for him as it was intended. IIRC he shot something absurd like 65 in the first 18. Not sure what he shot in the second 18 because I felt guilty for playing so poorly and didn't want "the letter" so I just withdrew after 18. I'm pretty sure he qualifed for the US-Am though...

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Played Kissing Camels yesterday, it is cut down and BAKED out. No rain in the forecast, if anyone is looking for a staycation I think the only place I've encountered similarly euphoric playing conditions was Dismal when the fairways went dormant in June of last year.

Certainly there are better courses, but I'm not sure if I've ever encountered better course conditions (at least not on purpose, Dismal brought back those fairways as soon as they could, they need lush grass to accommodate the cart traffic 😢 ). Cherry Hills, for example, cuts fairways down to the quarter inch range, but they keep the course lush, the ball SPINS off your club face, your ball will hold no matter how slick the green is.

Yesterday it was hard to hold the hardpan greens coming in from outside 140 yards. Also god help you chipping short sided. Balls would come in spinning, check up, and try to grab, but just roll and roll and roll. I understand how these conditions would decimate pace at a course with any kind of public access, but it was fun, a completely different game.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2022 at 8:34 AM, FlashinLeather said:

Hey Colorado WRX,

I am heading to Aspen in mid/late September. I'm would like to try to get on some of the private options, if possible through the pro at my course. I can only play two rounds but it seems like my top targets should be:

1. Maroon Creek Club

2. Roaring Fork Club

3. Aspen Glen

Looking for any suggestions/input as it will be my first time golfing in Colorado. Any idea what to expect for an unaccompanied guest rate at the above courses?

Thanks!

I currently work at Roaring Fork full time and I caddy up at Maroon creek. Our head pro does not let anyone play this golf course (unaccompanied guests are never offered). You have to have a 1 to 1 Member to Guest ratio. Im not trying to be brash. I just know we do everything to remain as exclusively private as possible. You might have a chance at Maroon Creek if you have at least 3 people that want to play (a caddie is required) .

Both Roaring Fork and Maroon creek (in order to be approved to build the courses) made deals with their respective citys to allow for residential play on a super limited basis. I think we offer two times a day (one in morning and one in the afternoon) with the purchase of a pass from the town. \

I know the Director of Instruction at Aspen Glen but am not sure what their unaccompanied guest policies look like. I think that is your best option as far as private golf courses go. Snowmass Club is also private but would provide another good option to try. 

In my opinion Aspen Golf Club is the hardest track in the valley and it sits right next to Maroon Creek. River Valley Ranch is my favorite and most frequented spot to play (especially their twilight deal). Iron Bridge is also a solid option. Lakota Canyon is fun as well just a little out of the way. If you are willing to make the two hour drive from Aspen you should honestly go play Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction. It is a gem of a golf course. 

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, ConnorPGA said:

I currently work at Roaring Fork full time and I caddy up at Maroon creek. Our head pro does not let anyone play this golf course (unaccompanied guests are never offered). You have to have a 1 to 1 Member to Guest ratio. Im not trying to be brash. I just know we do everything to remain as exclusively private as possible. You might have a chance at Maroon Creek if you have at least 3 people that want to play (a caddie is required) .

Both Roaring Fork and Maroon creek (in order to be approved to build the courses) made deals with their respective citys to allow for residential play on a super limited basis. I think we offer two times a day (one in morning and one in the afternoon) with the purchase of a pass from the town. \

I know the Director of Instruction at Aspen Glen but am not sure what their unaccompanied guest policies look like. I think that is your best option as far as private golf courses go. Snowmass Club is also private but would provide another good option to try. 

In my opinion Aspen Golf Club is the hardest track in the valley and it sits right next to Maroon Creek. River Valley Ranch is my favorite and most frequented spot to play (especially their twilight deal). Iron Bridge is also a solid option. Lakota Canyon is fun as well just a little out of the way. If you are willing to make the two hour drive from Aspen you should honestly go play Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction. It is a gem of a golf course. 

Hope this is helpful.

Aspen Glen will welcome you as a guest but it’s not as good as River Valley Ranch.

I would think the snowmass club would also have you out, it will be after noon.

The Roaring Fork Club is one of the best mountain courses in the world.

Connor, I believe you about the guest restrictions, but I know some of your members have played Sandhills through a reciprocal arrangement and vice versa, it never hurts to ask (especially if you’re coming from a club like Sandhills lol).

Edited by ztull

3 hours ago, ztull said:

Aspen Glen is will welcome you as a guess but it’s not as good as River Valley Ranch.

I would think the snowmass club would also have you out, it will be after noon.

The Roaring Fork Club is one of the best mountain courses in the world. Connor I believe you about the guest restrictions, but I know some of your members have played Sandhills through a reciprocal arrangement and vice versa, it never hurts to ask (especially if you’re coming from a club like Sandhills lol).

We have a handful of Sandhill members out here at the club. Potential oversight on my part. Your chances are significantly better assuming your pro puts you in touch with fellow members of yours who are willing to have you out.

The bigger problem might be that they aren't in town the same time you are. A large portion of our memberships are national members (limited to 6 rounds a year). As I mentioned they have to play with you. We turn away members often who bring out two guests if they can't find another member to join them as a single.  By late September we are already nearing the end of our season and snow is very much in play at this elevation. Most members will have already departed.

With all that in mind, your chances are definitely higher than I thought they were earlier this morning. Don't get me wrong I am hopeful you make it out. This place is one hell of a treat. And hey like ztull was saying you gotta shoot your shot! In a perfect world I shake your hand in a month on the range introducing myself as Connor and saying I will be your caddie today.  

We made it out to Collindale today. Just my 3rd time there and first in several years. I’m glad someone mentioned earlier here that they had switched nines, our guys headed directly to #10 tee when we started. 

I still like the course a lot. Greens roll so well, although they weren’t overly fast today. I thought the holes had a little more “character” on the new back nine, and the greens were more contoured. I like it as the back nine. 

And boy did we get soaked!

• Like 4

Sorry if this is not the correct forum, but I am looking for some feedback on a few courses in the Denver area.  The Denver thread in the courses, travel, and membership forum was pretty stale and I stumbled across this thread and thought I'd take a shot. 

Traveling to Denver next week for several rounds and looking to fill out our last time slots.  We have a few of the heavy hitter already booked (Bear Dance, Fossil Trace, The Ridge at CP) but looking at a few other options.  TPC is on our list but can't book until it is closer to our playing date.

If anyone can comment on current conditions at the following courses that would be great.  Also, feel free to give any recommendations in this similar category.

Riverland dunes

commonground

Green Valley ranch

Murphy Creek

Omni Interlocken.

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leinad5006 said:

Sorry if this is not the correct forum, but I am looking for some feedback on a few courses in the Denver area.  The Denver thread in the courses, travel, and membership forum was pretty stale and I stumbled across this thread and thought I'd take a shot. 

Traveling to Denver next week for several rounds and looking to fill out our last time slots.  We have a few of the heavy hitter already booked (Bear Dance, Fossil Trace, The Ridge at CP) but looking at a few other options.  TPC is on our list but can't book until it is closer to our playing date.

If anyone can comment on current conditions at the following courses that would be great.  Also, feel free to give any recommendations in this similar category.

Riverland dunes

commonground

Green Valley ranch

Murphy Creek

Omni Interlocken.

Thanks in advance. 

My recommendation out of those would be the first two, although I don't have comments on current conditions.

One note - make sure you figure out when those courses open up tee times and get on it fast (like, right when they open if you want options). You have listed some of the most popular public courses and they fill up quick.

Yep Riverdale Dunes and Commonground and I'd put Murphy Creek third. Interlocken is good but not worth what they charge for the general public (they've got enough members that they don't need any public play and price that accordingly). Since you were considering going all the way up to TPC, Highland Meadows in Windsor is by the same architect and a very good course too.

• Like 1

Some of the fairways on the back 9 of Murphy Creek were in pretty terrible shape.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

22 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

We made it out to Collindale today. Just my 3rd time there and first in several years. I’m glad someone mentioned earlier here that they had switched nines, our guys headed directly to #10 tee when we started. 

I still like the course a lot. Greens roll so well, although they weren’t overly fast today. I thought the holes had a little more “character” on the new back nine, and the greens were more contoured. I like it as the back nine. 

And boy did we get soaked!

Glad to see you made it out to Collindale.  I wish we could have played before I moved.  I've played twice here in northeast Florida since the move.  I really miss Collindale!  The two courses here are nice and the greens at Spruce Creek Country Club, Port Orange, FL were rolling decent.  That was about a week ago, maybe 8-9 on the stimp.  Definitely not Collindale speed greens.  I look forward to playing back in Colorado some time.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

14 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Glad to see you made it out to Collindale.  I wish we could have played before I moved.  I've played twice here in northeast Florida since the move.  I really miss Collindale!  The two courses here are nice and the greens at Spruce Creek Country Club, Port Orange, FL were rolling decent.  That was about a week ago, maybe 8-9 on the stimp.  Definitely not Collindale speed greens.  I look forward to playing back in Colorado some time.

Yeah, sure wish we could have made that happen. When you do get back here make sure and PM me. We never could make it happen when we lived 30 miles apart, maybe now that it’s a couple thousand miles we’ll make it work!😀

Im so bad anymore about getting out and playing anywhere else anymore. Outside of a tournament back in Wyoming in May, and one round at Boomerang I’ve played every round at HH. Haven’t even made it to Highland Meadows which is probably my favorite course in the area. 

7 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Yeah, sure wish we could have made that happen. When you do get back here make sure and PM me. We never could make it happen when we lived 30 miles apart, maybe now that it’s a couple thousand miles we’ll make it work!😀

Im so bad anymore about getting out and playing anywhere else anymore. Outside of a tournament back in Wyoming in May, and one round at Boomerang I’ve played every round at HH. Haven’t even made it to Highland Meadows which is probably my favorite course in the area. 

I understand about playing most rounds at a single course. I was that way with Collindale, especially living across Horsetooth Road and Faraday Circle (residential road inside of Horsetooth Road).  I did play occasional rounds at Highland Meadows and Saddleback in the past year with a course sprinkled in here and there.  I suppose when we find a course that we like and it is very convenient we tend to play there more than not.  I may be back at the end of the month for a few days but it will be a work trip, unfortunately not a golf trip.  I am planning on playing the Collindale Invitational next year.  I hope I can do that.  If I do that would seem like a great opportunity to meet up and play.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

19 hours ago, leinad5006 said:

Riverland dunes

commonground

Green Valley ranch

Murphy Creek

Omni Interlocken.

Thanks in advance. 

Omni PEAK conditions. Dancin is right though you’ll pay through the nose if you can even find a tee time, members get 30 days, the window for public booking keeps getting shorter.

I played CommonGround on Friday, it’s in pretty good shape. I love the mission and I love Doak, but that course doesn’t do it for me.

Summer has been relatively cool this year, we’ve gotten a lot of rain, every course should be well conditioned.

Indian Peaks is in the same price tier as CG, I would call it a significant upgrade. It’s also hard to get a tee time at IP

If conditions are your only consideration you could bite the bullet on Omni at the public rate. If they don’t have times they offer a waitlist, you can also hang out day of, members are notorious for no showing. 

As of last week Kissing Camels, down in the springs, might be the best conditioned course in the country. Cut down and baked out - I’m not sure how that’s tolerated from a membership perspective - but god bless them, it’s magnificent.

You could try to shop a national membership (be warned, I think they sold me) or you could stay at GOG Club.

Edited by ztull
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

Port Orange?!?!? My father-in-law lives in New Smyrna Beach so I'm there at least one a year. We're planning on going for Thanksgiving this year. Let's meet up and play!

5 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I understand about playing most rounds at a single course. I was that way with Collindale, especially living across Horsetooth Road and Faraday Circle (residential road inside of Horsetooth Road).  I did play occasional rounds at Highland Meadows and Saddleback in the past year with a course sprinkled in here and there.  I suppose when we find a course that we like and it is very convenient we tend to play there more than not.  I may be back at the end of the month for a few days but it will be a work trip, unfortunately not a golf trip.  I am planning on playing the Collindale Invitational next year.  I hope I can do that.  If I do that would seem like a great opportunity to meet up and play.

If you need a place to stay lmk. I'm about 35 minutes from Collindale but we could carpool if needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ztull said:

I played CommonGround on Friday, it’s in pretty good shape. I love the mission and I love Doak, but that course doesn’t do it for me.

OMG, me too and I feel like the only one that doesn't LOVE Commonground. I'm also getting really sick of playing it 3x a year for CGA since they own it. Unfortunately tomorrow is yet another one of those times. US Mid-Am there

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joelness said:

OMG, me too and I feel like the only one that doesn't LOVE Commonground. I'm also getting really sick of playing it 3x a year for CGA since they own it. Unfortunately tomorrow is yet another one of those times. US Mid-Am there

I think commonground is cool and if you know what you're getting in to it's really fun! I don't know that Ztull and I would be good golfing partners. I'm pretty sure every course I like is on his bad list and vice versa. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

36 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

I think commonground is cool and if you know what you're getting in to it's really fun! I don't know that Ztull and I would be good golfing partners. I'm pretty sure every course I like is on his bad list and vice versa. 🤣

It's the only course that I go back and forth on from love to hate, to "it's OK." 

Things I love: The mix of hard and easy holes. Doak made an overall flat track very interesting.

Things I hate: The hardest greens are on the longest holes. The greens on 5, 14, 15, 17 are bonkers for 500+ yard par 4's and 230+ yard par 3s, respectively. Also, the green on 14 is just plain terrible from 240. The entire back 2/3 of the green slopes away, making them really dumb from that distance. The only way to hit it in the same area as the hole is to land it in front and hope it chases over the ridge 🤮

EDITORS NOTE: I could see these gripes being a lot less if you're not playing from the tips. However, that's where we always play for tournaments there so that's what I go off of.

Edited by Joelness

Count me in the CommonGround fan club, I love that course. It’s also closest to me and I play it most often so I’m biased but yeah, I love it. Fair critiques though Joel. 

I played CGC a couple of times the past few weeks. Still my favorite place to play out here. It is playing a little easier with the rough/native areas being fairly easy to hit out of (as long as you stay out of the bushes, of course). Greens are primo and for whatever reason I putt really well on them. They just make

sense to me. 

My scores don’t reflect it 😝 but that’s due to issues getting off the tee. Once I get to the green it’s no problem. 

I never played Mira Vista, so I don’t really have anything to compare CG to except the other Doak courses I’ve played:

Dismal Red

Bally

Stonewall

Cherry Hills (Doak touch-ups in 2012 and 2019)

Falls well short of those. Doak shaped Riv Dunes for Perry Dye, I like that course MUCH more too. 

People come to Colorado and that’s THE course they want to play, I just don’t get it.

1. it’s kind of a zoo.

2. it’s kind of boring.

3. there’s persistent chatter that Jim Urbina did this course as part of Doak’s design team (makes sense, Urbina lived in Colorado)

4. It’s not a muni, which shouldn’t matter, but the conversation with out of towners always starts with “there’s a world class Muni…” 

We have some world class municipal golf in CO, hate that this detracts.

This is fresh in my mind, I played Beverly (top 10 all time 🤤) last month with someone (an idiot) who was at a conference at the Broadmoor, had a day to play golf, and DROVE UP to play CommonGround.

My head almost exploded...

Edited by ztull
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean those aren’t really valid comparisons to CG, except for Riverdale which fine, I could buy that argument, I like Riverdale a lot as well. But in terms of public accessible courses in the Denver area for under $100…I’ll take CG any time. 

I’ve only played Cherry Hills from that list but still don’t think it’s comparable since he was working on an already existing world class course. If you had played Mira Vista you’d understand the magic he pulled off at CG 😂

I like the zoo aspect, it’s more up my alley. I don’t find it boring but obviously personal preference. I have some golf buddies who completely agree with you. I also don’t care who actually designed it or it’s called a muni or public course or whatever. 

That’s the beauty of golf. Something for everyone! I wish more people shared your opinion so I could get reasonable

tee times at CG though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

I mean those aren’t really valid comparisons to CG, except for Riverdale which fine, I could buy that argument, I like Riverdale a lot as well. But in terms of public accessible courses in the Denver area for under $100…I’ll take CG any time. 

I’ve only played Cherry Hills from that list but still don’t think it’s comparable since he was working on an already existing world class course. If you had played Mira Vista you’d understand the magic he pulled off at CG 😂

I like the zoo aspect, it’s more up my alley. I don’t find it boring but obviously personal preference. I have some golf buddies who completely agree with you. I also don’t care who actually designed it or it’s called a muni or public course or whatever. 

That’s the beauty of golf. Something for everyone! I wish more people shared your opinion so I could get reasonable

tee times at CG though. 

Valid Denver comparisons (walkable, affordable) 

1. Riv Dunes

2. Indian Peaks

3. Murphy Creek 

I have CG running a tight race with GVR, Meadow Hills, and Wilshire.

Part of my frustration is certainly the difficulty I have getting a tee time. We’re 10 minutes up Yosemite, I play the par 3 course all the time l, but joined Omni after I talked to a member there who said even with the option for 8 days it’s very difficult.

They shouldn’t allow people to pay for advanced bookings…

• Like 1