2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 923

thl9077

I know there has been a lot of talk about gap issues as I know the lofts are strong and I'm ok with that, I had to let my SM9 wedges go as my gapping was too far off and decided on getting 2 RTX6 wedges a 48* and 54* with Steelfiber shafts as so now between my PW an Approach wedge is about 6* and another 6* between my next Sand wedge. I also wanted to have the same shafts in my irons as what will be in my wedges. I played last years RTX wedges and thought I made a mistake when I sold them.  My 5 thru PW are so very consistent in ball flight and yardages as I feel that my 5 irons is just as easy to hit as my 9 iron. Very impressed 

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Anyone have any idea on shipment timing? Local shop told me 2-3 weeks, was just curious how accurate that actually was?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9*| Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*| Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX
Mizuno 245 5-PW  | Project X LS 6.5
Titleist SM9 46 - 50 - 54 - 58 | PX Rifle 6.0
Odyssey Ai-One Seven CH 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, this_is_golf said:

Has anyone bent the HMP 1 or 2 degrees weak? I’m looking to increase launch and peak height a bit. Any feedback is appreciated. 

That would help with your launch but you wouldn't get the distance as maybe Mizuno should come out with a retro version of the PING irons with the HMP's or just get a set of the HL models as I thought about doing that but I do like a more compact look. I would like to see a Power Spec version of the HL models instead of having them bent something like Srixon ZX 4's are as those lofts are jacked up.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

7 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

That would help with your launch but you wouldn't get the distance as maybe Mizuno should come out with a retro version of the PING irons with the HMP's or just get a set of the HL models as I thought about doing that but I do like a more compact look. I would like to see a Power Spec version of the HL models instead of having them bent something like Srixon ZX 4's are as those lofts are jacked up.

A HMP 30 degree 7 iron would be ideal. But then I guess it would be too similar to the Forged. I like the lofts of the HL but not a fan of the big heads. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 10:37 AM, this_is_golf said:

Has anyone bent the HMP 1 or 2 degrees weak? I’m looking to increase launch and peak height a bit. Any feedback is appreciated. 

I got my HMP's 2* weak from the factory. I needed some more spin since I fit into C-Tapers really well and it's been great. I was a little worried about the extra bounce it added, but I haven't actually noticed it at all.

• Thanks 2

On 11/8/2022 at 3:14 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Had my first round yesterday with the 923 Hot Metal High Launch.  Really good range session with them on Friday, took a bit to get loose yesterday, but once I did  I really liked them.  They are replacing my Gen 5 XP's  and they are probably 1 club shorter.  But that's expected with the loft differnce and shaft.   I had gotten these as a place holder untilthe Forged come out  next spring, so I didn't want to spring for the SF shafts that I have been using in my irons since. being fit for them.   

I did enjoy the height I was getting with them and coupled with the 2023 ProV1 (I'm moving from the current X model) I got some very good spin and stoppinig power on shots into the green. 

Which shafts in the High Launch?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 11/30/2022 at 12:47 PM, jjfcpa said:

Titleist T300's.  I'm on my newest version now after playing the originals for for about 6 months.

How do the T300's compare to the HMP and the Hot Metal.  In between, or closer to one or the other?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 2/14/2023 at 10:03 PM, TNwanabe said:

I have a set and they are awesome. I like them better than the G425s. Feel, sound and spin are better. It would be amazing if they made these with less offset. That would make these pretty close to ideal imo. 

If you got the Hot Metals 2* weak, they would be close in loft to the High Launch, and making them weak would take away a bit of the offset.  That might be your perfect iron.

The 923 line measurements are impressive per golfworks. The vertical center of gravity has been dramatically dropped.  As a picker it validates my affinity for the HMPs. Well done mizuno. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

5 hours ago, gvogel said:

Which shafts in the High Launch?

I ordered them with the Stock KBS Max as I had some special edition steel fiber shafts on hand thst I put into them.  

I since sold them. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 1 month later...

The HMP's were longer but not by much. The dispersion was tighter forgiveness and feel were a toss up. I don't care for the shinny looks of the Paradym, badging has been known to fade and wear quickly and the do scratch up way to easily so make sure you get iron cover if you get the Paradyms. Only tried the stock shaft with the Paradym's as my HMP's have custom SteelFibers and my Mizuno's are here to stay. Plus how can you beat the price difference as Mizuno HMP has the best bang for the buck

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

The HMP's were a longer but not by much. The dispersion was tighter forgiveness and feel were a toss up. I don't care for the shinny looks of the Paradym, badging has been known to fade and wear quickly and the do scratch up way to easily so make sure you get iron cover if you get the Paradyms. Only tried the stock shaft with the Paradym's as my HMP's have custom SteelFibers and my Mizuno's are here to stay. Plus how can you beat the price difference as Mizuno HMP has the best bang for the buck

Yes you are correct and this is why I ordered the 923 HMP's!  Wasnt too keen on the badge as I had some friends complain about them.  And the bang for the buck is the best!  Thank you

I own the 923T and HMP. The HMP make an impossible game substantially easier. I will always love the Tours, but the HMPs are something special. 

I have DG Tour Issue X100 shafts in both sets. I do have a bit of a gapping issue with the HMPs towards the bottom of the bag, but I will work it out with some experimentation.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I understand why people love their Mizunos. While years ago I didn't think I was ever a good enough ball striker to play their irons , So fast forward I bought my 2nd set after 10 years and I would highly recommend anyone looking for a set of irons must check the JPX line up. For a cast club there HM line up feel better than most forged irons that I've played in the past and they have all the forgiveness one could ask for. They are very easy to hit as my HMP are as easy to hit as a GI irons. They hold the greens nicely as I've never hit so many greens with my 5 iron from 195-200 yds away as I have with my HMP's. Since putting them into my bag they have been nothing but a confidence builder/game changer for me. I'm not going to tell you that they are the better than anything else out there but once you get past all the hype from all the other brands out there you too will understand why so many people love their Mizuno's. The HM line up have the Best bang for the buck as the JPX models have something for every golfer out there. 

Edited by Tiptx1122

I tried to like the 923HM's but they did nothing for me. I finally sent them down the road and I don't miss them a bit.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

7 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I tried to like the 923HM's but they did nothing for me. I finally sent them down the road and I don't miss them a bit.

Did you give the 923F a try? 

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º 12F Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 56º 12D Dynamic Gold S200

Ping Anser 2

19 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

They aren't for everybody as I too have sent many other brands down the road and never looked back. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, alexc93 said:

Did you give the 923F a try? 

No

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

13 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

No

I switched from 923HMP after about a month into the 923 Forged. I didn't notice any loss in forgiveness and enjoying the forged much more. Same shafts in both.

I recommend giving the forged a try if you can. 

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º 12F Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 56º 12D Dynamic Gold S200

Ping Anser 2

I’m still toying with the HMP vs my 923 Tours. I’m leaning more towards the Tours right now for the feel and accuracy. 

The HMPs feel great for a cast club, but in comparison to the Tour it’s not close.

The main issue is with the distance consistency. I do get more jumpers from the HMP than I am happy with.

I’ve been playing well with the HMPs, but the Tours are going back in the bag for a few rounds. It will be interesting to see if the forgiveness of the HMP vs the accuracy of the Tours plays out.

Edited by SollyinGA

The JPX923 wedges are an absolute sleeper. They are not highly publicized and only have a small mention on Mizuno's site. They look excellent and perform great. I would love to see a set of irons with the cosmetics of the wedges.

image.png.10b3958855a2bd90fa9f6ecb90cffb58.png

• Like 4
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 9:13 AM, Konklifer said:

The JPX923 wedges are an absolute sleeper. They are not highly publicized and only have a small mention on Mizuno's site. They look excellent and perform great. I would love to see a set of irons with the cosmetics of the wedges.

image.png.10b3958855a2bd90fa9f6ecb90cffb58.png

How do they perform compared to a specialty wedge? I’m currently playing a 48* CBX Zipcore with the stock shaft but considering ordering the gap wedge to match my HMP shafts. The CBX just comes out way too hot sometimes. 

Edited by natesmith083

13 minutes ago, natesmith083 said:

How do they perform compared to a specialty wedge? I’m currently playing a 48* CBX Zipcore with the stock shaft but considering ordering the gap wedge to match my HMP shafts. The CBX just comes out way too hot sometimes. 

I play the 48* gap wedge with my HMP. My other wedges are T22 for comparison. They HM wedge is more forgiving. I like it for a gap wedge. I think I would prefer the forged higher lofted wedges though. Absolutely nothing wrong with the HM wedges and if you need the added forgiveness, I would certainly look into them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, PrettyGood said:

For those who ordered their HMPs a degree or two weak — was there any noticeable change in the appearance of the irons at address?

After a month or so of playing standard lofts I had my 923 HMP  7-PW bent to the 923 Forged lofts.  The PW and 9 iron look great with the reduced offset.  Don't really notice any difference on 8 and 7 irons.  Regardless it definitely helps tame some of the crazy distances I was seeing and has added some spin and stopping power on the greens.

• Thanks 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag