2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

3 minutes ago, 420burner said:

Anyone know the cavity engraving options on an Anser? Most seem to have the regular PING logo.

No other options right now just the PING logo and when I was there they told me the paint has to be 1 color. The paint is easily changeable after but no other options for the cavity and has to have the PLD logo on the face. 

• Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

21 hours ago, labrush12 said:

So there's about 70 pages about how great this program is. Has anyone else been slightly disappointed? I personally don't believe this is actually a tour level custom putter experience that they advertise.

Based on my fitting, I'm essentially in the right style putter. Talking with Alex over Zoom, we weren't changing much wrt loft, lie, weight, etc based on the results. However, I have a particular eye. I really want a blade style putter with a ball width cavity on the back. I initially stated an Anser blade with an adjustment to the ball cavity and Alex shot that down quickly. He then gave me two options. One that is really close to my current head, but with larger radii on the bumpers. The other is different enough that I would be hesitant to purchase without seeing it in person. 

I inquired about an adjustment to the radii and was again met with a no - it would require a whole head redesign and the changes I want would reduce the MOI. As a mechanical engineer, I understand the changes I want would require some CAD adjustments and possibly some tooling changes, but I don't see how it's a redesign. If they are made in a enclosed CNC machine - that would mean fixture changes and I could live with that, but in my opinion, that's not how they advertise the manufacturing of these putters. 

I don't believe a tour pro would be met with the same resistance, and since I'm paying $1500+ I want exactly what I'm looking for even if the MOI is slightly less (The fitting based my stroke at +0.5 hdcp, so I personally think the difference would be negligible). Has anybody else run into the same issue? Did you compromise, and are you happy with your decision?  

Firstly, I think it's a little odd to expect a tour level custom putter experience over Zoom.  I get that it's offered as an option, but you complain that one of the issues you had was that the putter which they offered you which was "different enough" had to be tried in hand - so, you'd need to go to Phoenix and do that and really that is on you/your circs, not Ping.

Secondly, I am a long time Ping fan and it is extremely rare for them to manufacture a heavily modified headshape which had never been seen before for any of their pros.  I recall a very narrow blade with weights made for Notah Begay by Jim Wells years ago which never appeared OTC (pictured in the Ping history book), and Westwood had a proto Tyne with a plumber's neck and maybe one other black mallet - but apart from that, I am struggling.  If it does happen, it is very very rare and 99.9% of Ping staff use Ping's stock headshapes - but vary the specs with weight, loft, lie, milling etc. - and perhaps a different finish and hosel not usually on the model; there's a rusty Anser 5 made for Baddeley out there I think.  Basically what I am saying is, they don't craft heads from scratch for pros, and they don't modify their classic shapes more than once in a blue moon.

That all said, you are describing a Voss, so it's maybe worth holding off to see if that head is added to the PLD range (as they seem to be gradually adding other models to PLD as time wears on).

I say all this as someone in the UK who remains mightily p1ssed off that Ping eventually launched PLD here at £2000 ($2500), twice the cost when it was launched in the US, so I will likely never get one myself.  Not sure why I am bothering defending something I was priced out of due to geography!

Edited by ColinKelvin
  • Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW Beryllium copper
  • Ping Anser 5+ Beryllium copper (1991)

Putter bench:

• Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

13 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

Firstly, I think it's a little odd to expect a tour level custom putter experience over Zoom.  I get that it's offered as an option, but you complain that one of the issues you had was that the putter which they offered you which was "different enough" had to be tried in hand - so, you'd need to go to Phoenix and do that and really that is on you/your circs, not Ping.

Secondly, I am a long time Ping fan and it is extremely rare for them to manufacture a heavily modified headshape which had never been seen before for any of their pros.  I recall a very narrow blade with weights made for Notah Begay by Jim Wells years ago which never appeared OTC (pictured in the Ping history book), and Westwood had a proto Tyne with a plumber's neck and maybe one other black mallet - but apart from that, I am struggling.  If it does happen, it is very very rare and 99.9% of Ping staff use Ping's stock headshapes - but vary the specs with weight, loft, lie, milling etc. - and perhaps a different finish and hosel not usually on the model; there's a rusty Anser 5 made for Baddeley out there I think.  Basically what I am saying is, they don't craft heads from scratch for pros, and they don't modify their classic shapes more than once in a blue moon.

That all said, you are describing a Voss, so it's maybe worth holding off to see if that head is added to the PLD range (as they seem to be gradually adding other models to PLD as time wears on).

I say all this as someone in the UK who remains mightily p1ssed off that Ping eventually launched PLD here at £2000 ($2500), twice the cost when it was launched in the US, so I will likely never get one myself.  Not sure why I am bothering defending something I was priced out of due to geography!

And if they do modify a shape for a pro it will be the updated model for the masses: 

DS72 - Hovland 

Anser D - Bubba

Anser 2D - Finau

Oslo (current) - Hatton

Wolverine C - Nate Lashley 

I'm not sure who helped with the current Tyne shape, if the Voss gets any update that's all from Oosthuizen and any other models that pop up will be from the players. Like who'd ever expect a Wolverine C PLD? 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

As a canadian, i appreciate that ping had tried to offer something “custom”. But for my self, the difference between getting fit for the regular anser D pld and the custom pld is not enough to justify the price difference. 

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

1 hour ago, C_rad said:

As a canadian, i appreciate that ping had tried to offer something “custom”. But for my self, the difference between getting fit for the regular anser D pld and the custom pld is not enough to justify the price difference. 

So you went for a fitting and basically got fit into a stock setup? If so not a bad thing definitely saves money, just custom order the specs and call it a day. 

But also seems some do get fit into a near stock setup but want something custom so they get the custom. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

So you went for a fitting and basically got fit into a stock setup? If so not a bad thing definitely saves money, just custom order the specs and call it a day. 

But also seems some do get fit into a near stock setup but want something custom so they get the custom. 

I can understand that. There are so beautiful

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

On 1/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, ColinKelvin said:

I wasn't anticipating responding to anyone because I don't think it's worth it but f*** it. Go look at the PLD custom page. It says "No limit to customization. Anything you can imagine, we can make happen. Our team of experts stand ready to bring your dream PLD putter to life", "We offer a variety of tour-proven head styles, but let’s say something else catches your eye. Just let your PING Master Fitter know and they'll do their best to make it possible", and "Do your eyes prefer a single alignment line? A ball-width feature? A combination of both? Choose the visual cues that help you get the ball rolling on line." I'm sorry I feel so mislead. 

I said I was offered two options - which were the DZB and Voss. The DZB is very, very close to my current head (2010 SC California Monterey) - the biggest difference being the bumper radii. There is also more material towards the top line on both ends of the head, so I suggested to Alex moving some of that material down to the bumpers to decrease the radii. I don't believe this ask constitutes a total redesign, and while you could argue what I'm asking is a heavily modified version, I'm paying $1500 for supposed unlimited customization. If they were willing to build this putter, I would have happily spent the money without seeing it in person because I would essentially know what I would be getting.

Based on the pictures Alex sent, I didn't love the Voss. I've found more online since and it has grown on me, but I wasn't able to find a used one in any local retail stores and told Alex I wasn't comfortable spending this amount on a head I've never seen in person. To praise him, after I offered a solution of a 3D printed head, he is sending a Voss Vault 2.0 head for me to look at. I hope I like it, but if I don't I unfortunately don't think I'll be participating in this program.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, labrush12 said:

I wasn't anticipating responding to anyone because I don't think it's worth it but f*** it. Go look at the PLD custom page. It says "No limit to customization. Anything you can imagine, we can make happen. Our team of experts stand ready to bring your dream PLD putter to life", "We offer a variety of tour-proven head styles, but let’s say something else catches your eye. Just let your PING Master Fitter know and they'll do their best to make it possible", and "Do your eyes prefer a single alignment line? A ball-width feature? A combination of both? Choose the visual cues that help you get the ball rolling on line." I'm sorry I feel so mislead. 

I said I was offered two options - which were the DZB and Voss. The DZB is very, very close to my current head (2010 SC California Monterey) - the biggest difference being the bumper radii. There is also more material towards the top line on both ends of the head, so I suggested to Alex moving some of that material down to the bumpers to decrease the radii. I don't believe this ask constitutes a total redesign, and while you could argue what I'm asking is a heavily modified version, I'm paying $1500 for supposed unlimited customization. If they were willing to build this putter, I would have happily spent the money without seeing it in person because I would essentially know what I would be getting.

Based on the pictures Alex sent, I didn't love the Voss. I've found more online since and it has grown on me, but I wasn't able to find a used one in any local retail stores and told Alex I wasn't comfortable spending this amount on a head I've never seen in person. To praise him, after I offered a solution of a 3D printed head, he is sending a Voss Vault 2.0 head for me to look at. I hope I like it, but if I don't I unfortunately don't think I'll be participating in this program.

Welcome to the world of custom putters where custom isn't  "custom". There are really only 2-3 guys out there that will make anyone a full custom putter from scratch, whether it's an idea or a napkin sketch. 

Everyone else Ping included custom means within their parameters and that can be just picking literally just the finish and stamping up to basically building your putter on their set options. 

Ping does it in a way where everything has to be sound from an engineering standpoint. So that actually limits things a bit more where other putter makers will slap on any neck on any head and send it out the door. There's a reason you don't see sound slots as an option, welded necks, changed to toe hang and offset, etc. 

When I had my fitting I asked for multiple things and was shot down but I understood going into it with the Ping philosophy but asking never hurt. 

If the Voss doesn't suit your eye I'd suggest going to a maker that will do full custom but what you're requesting many other makers will not do as for them code and setup is extremely time consuming and not worth it. 

But remember what almost anyone says custom doesn't mean custom. 

• Confused 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

21 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Welcome to the world of custom putters where custom isn't  "custom". There are really only 2-3 guys out there that will make anyone a full custom putter from scratch, whether it's an idea or a napkin sketch. 

Everyone else Ping included custom means within their parameters and that can be just picking literally just the finish and stamping up to basically building your putter on their set options. 

Ping does it in a way where everything has to be sound from an engineering standpoint. So that actually limits things a bit more where other putter makers will slap on any neck on any head and send it out the door. There's a reason you don't see sound slots as an option, welded necks, changed to toe hang and offset, etc. 

When I had my fitting I asked for multiple things and was shot down but I understood going into it with the Ping philosophy but asking never hurt. 

If the Voss doesn't suit your eye I'd suggest going to a maker that will do full custom but what you're requesting many other makers will not do as for them code and setup is extremely time consuming and not worth it. 

But remember what almost anyone says custom doesn't mean custom. 

With my putter, the only thing they wouldn't/couldn't do was a sound slot.  Other than that, they bent over backwards to get me the Anser 4 neck/Anser 2 head that I wanted.

I agree with Matt - I've had probably 10 custom putters over the years and all were within the parameters of what the maker could do or wanted to do.  If that's what you want, cultivate a relationship with a custom maker and get them to build your dream putter.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

1 hour ago, labrush12 said:

I can see how one can misinterpret their description if the custom program. If you have never had a custom built, your story really makes sense.  Unfortunately for you, the service PING offers isnt actually the most customizable putter expereince out there. Great putters, amazing tour level experience, but it isn't a design your own type thing. If you dont love the Voss...save your $1500 and find something you love.

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

3 hours ago, labrush12 said:

One thing you can get customized and tailored to your precise specifications is your own thread going on about how Ping’s program is misleading and they won’t give you what you want. 

Meanwhile, let’s get back on topic. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

3 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

One thing you can get customized and tailored to your precise specifications is your own thread going on about how Ping’s program is misleading and they won’t give you what you want. 

Still waiting for an update on mine, hopefully next week it's done and in the mail.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, labrush12 said:

Fair enough. I think your point that they are (way) overstating what they actually offer with the "no limit to customization" claim is hard to refute given that there are obvious limits and you came up against them.  I didn't realise they were using that wording.  It's not clear what "something else catches your eye" means in practice but i am guessing it might be protos they have lying around at the factory.  They're obviously not offering to machine new headshapes with weight distributed elsewhere from standard by changing the actual shape - the weighting is done by adding tungsten to existing models on all the PLDs I have seen.

(As an aside, my dream PLD would be a carbon steel Model IV shape from the Scottsdale era with tungsten added if necessary.  I sounded someone high up at Ping out about that around a year ago and was told it wouldn't be possible as it would mean creating a unique one-off head for a single customer, which would be too resource/cost intensive.  They would add tungsten to my actual 1966 Mod IV if pushed - but the old WRX prices have tripled or more so it'd cost PLD prices to do that.)

I think it's healthy to hear about any issues or disappointments people have encountered on this thread - but it's also pretty impressive that so far, Ping seem to be achieving around 99% satisfaction.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW Beryllium copper
  • Ping Anser 5+ Beryllium copper (1991)

Putter bench:

• Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

11 hours ago, Konklifer said:

What a stupid comment.   He is posting in the PLD thread....it is on topic. Show me where this thread says "positive experiences only"

• Like 3

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

On 1/6/2024 at 10:09 AM, ColinKelvin said:

I think your point that they are (way) overstating what they actually offer with the "no limit to customization" claim is hard to refute given that there are obvious limits and you came up against them. 

I think the term customization is the key, taking something they have blanks for and altering it to the customer's requirements.

There then comes a point where a customer's customization goes beyond the service parameters.

Pretty much all Frankenstein's Monsters on tour are cobbled together from existing material.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:54 PM, Konklifer said:

I need to see more B60’s!

I'm still loving mine. I've never been this confident on the greens. The weight, look, feel etc is perfect. Also my patina finish is starting to wear in just a little bit, and it's looking great. 

Ping G400
Ping Anser 3W
Ping Anser 3H
Ping i210 4-PW DGTI X100
Ping Glide 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* Eye2
Ping Glide 2.0 60* E/S
Ping Vault Anser 2

On 1/9/2024 at 9:18 AM, Fish-N-Chips said:

I'm still loving mine. I've never been this confident on the greens. The weight, look, feel etc is perfect. Also my patina finish is starting to wear in just a little bit, and it's looking great. 

I think we're going to need a look at this putter with the patina... what a tease

Edited by etodd

Gear Junkie / Professional Shanker

WITB

Driver: Titleist Tsr3 8° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 Stiff (68g) - MCC Black - 45" (Testing Diamana WB 63-S/Ventus TR Black 6-S)

3 Wood: Titleist Tsr3 15° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7 Stiff (78g) - MCC Black - 43" (Testing Ventus TR Red 7-S)

3 Hybrid: Titleist Tsr3 19° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8 Stiff (86g) - MCC Black - 40.75" (Testing Fujikura AXIOM LP 105-S)

Irons: Fourteen TB7 4-PW (22°-44°) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 115 Stiff (119g) - MCC Black - STD

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw (49/54/59) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 115 Wedge (122g) - MCC Black - STD

Putter: PING Anser 30 'Proto' (Carbon/Patina/360g/2.5°/70°) - PLD Composite Shaft - Golf Pride 'Tour Tradition' - 34.5"

Soon: Mack-Made 'Jewel Skinny' Tri-Sole (Carbon/Torched/Twisty-Longneck) BGT Tour One - Golf Pride 'Tour Tradition' - 34.5"

On 1/4/2024 at 9:28 AM, MattM97 said:

No other options right now just the PING logo and when I was there they told me the paint has to be 1 color. The paint is easily changeable after but no other options for the cavity and has to have the PLD logo on the face. 

Man, I'm really considering going through the program and was hoping they would allow a fully milled face - I actually quite like the PING logo in the cavity. Super classic. I plan on doing quite a bit of engraving on the bottom and already have my ideas for a design. Do you know if they offer any other shaft options (i.e. not PING)? I am hoping to have a KBS CT Tour shaft dropped in with a PP58 Cord which would be super similar to my current gamer.

Edited by etodd

WITB

Driver: Titleist Tsr3 8° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 Stiff (68g) - MCC Black - 45" (Testing Diamana WB 63-S/Ventus TR Black 6-S)

3 Wood: Titleist Tsr3 15° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7 Stiff (78g) - MCC Black - 43" (Testing Ventus TR Red 7-S)

3 Hybrid: Titleist Tsr3 19° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8 Stiff (86g) - MCC Black - 40.75" (Testing Fujikura AXIOM LP 105-S)

Irons: Fourteen TB7 4-PW (22°-44°) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 115 Stiff (119g) - MCC Black - STD

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw (49/54/59) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 115 Wedge (122g) - MCC Black - STD

Putter: PING Anser 30 'Proto' (Carbon/Patina/360g/2.5°/70°) - PLD Composite Shaft - Golf Pride 'Tour Tradition' - 34.5"

Soon: Mack-Made 'Jewel Skinny' Tri-Sole (Carbon/Torched/Twisty-Longneck) BGT Tour One - Golf Pride 'Tour Tradition' - 34.5"

6 minutes ago, etodd said:

Man, I'm really considering going through the program and was hoping they would allow a fully milled face - I actually quite like the PING logo in the cavity. Super classic. I plan on doing quite a bit of engraving on the bottom and already have my ideas for a design. Do you know if they offer any other shaft options (i.e. not PING)? I am hoping to have a KBS CT Tour shaft dropped in with a PP58 Cord which would be super similar to my current gamer.

It's a program requirement unfortunately, if you do ball width grooves you get the PLD logo without the pill cut which some may like but really not something I'll worry too much about once it's in the bag. 

As for shafts I believe some guys here did you just have to supply it and send it to Ping or just install it after. I plan at some point down the road to possibly install an LAGP on mine. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

5 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

It's a program requirement unfortunately, if you do ball width grooves you get the PLD logo without the pill cut which some may like but really not something I'll worry too much about once it's in the bag. 

As for shafts I believe some guys here did you just have to supply it and send it to Ping or just install it after. I plan at some point down the road to possibly install an LAGP on mine. 

Yeah slightly unfortunate but I will probably talk with the fitter about it and see what all my options are. I've always putted with a "scotty-esque" milled face and made the switch to a thin blade with a plumbers neck last year from a mallet style putter, which i'm loving. Really just looking for that putter that is fully mine and can stay in the bag for many many years to come, especially with the history of PING putters. I would be doing the virtual fitting - wish I could make the trip down to AZ  to really get dialed in, but that's just not in the cards for me right now haha, especially when considering the $1500 USD for the program. At least I have a pretty specific idea of what i'm wanting and would love the feedback on weighting/neck style with my stroke. Y'all may see me posting my own set of updates here soon. Not sure on their current turnaround time.

WITB

On 1/5/2024 at 10:27 PM, Konklifer said:

There are 70 pages worth of comments in this thread. Is this the first and only one that doesn’t fit what you consider “on topic”? Maybe you should make a thread called “Ping PLD Custom Program thread comments that I don’t like personally and think everyone else should know”. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, etodd said:

Yeah slightly unfortunate but I will probably talk with the fitter about it and see what all my options are. I've always putted with a "scotty-esque" milled face and made the switch to a thin blade with a plumbers neck last year from a mallet style putter, which i'm loving. Really just looking for that putter that is fully mine and can stay in the bag for many many years to come, especially with the history of PING putters. I would be doing the virtual fitting - wish I could make the trip down to AZ  to really get dialed in, but that's just not in the cards for me right now haha, especially when considering the $1500 USD for the program. At least I have a pretty specific idea of what i'm wanting and would love the feedback on weighting/neck style with my stroke. Y'all may see me posting my own set of updates here soon. Not sure on their current turnaround time.

Scotty's milling is basic on the OTR lines, the PLD line has several options and they're all focused on sound/feel vs just looks. If you're going to be picky or particular about the milling I'd do my best to get to AZ as you can test out different millings they have on hand there all while getting the info and feedback you want on the neck style and weighting.

Lead time is about 4-8 weeks depending on what you order as some things add time. 

• Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

6 minutes ago, MackDaddy480 said:

For those of you who have done an in person fitting, what technology is used besides the iPing App? Do they use Quintic or SAM Put lab or anything like that?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but hard to comb through 70 pages of posts.

It’s a combination of the iping and the motion capture cameras, if I recall correctly, there’s a camera down the line , face on and from  above 

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Scotty's milling is basic on the OTR lines, the PLD line has several options and they're all focused on sound/feel vs just looks. If you're going to be picky or particular about the milling I'd do my best to get to AZ as you can test out different millings they have on hand there all while getting the info and feedback you want on the neck style and weighting.

Lead time is about 4-8 weeks depending on what you order as some things add time. 

Honestly looking at a fairly straightforward build:

Head: Anser / Anser 5 Longneck

Weighting: Tungsten plugs added to bring it to 360g

Milling: Standard circular milling, maybe a little more shallow

Finish: Stainless w/ Satin

Alignment: Flange line (right eye dominant)

Engravings: Quite a bit of sole engravings, but shouldn't add a ton of MFC time

Shaft: I'll probably ship them a KBS CT Tour Black for the build, or see what they recommend. 34.5"

Grip: pp58 Cord Midsize

I wish they would let you sign a waiver and just order the putter specifically to your specs if you already know exactly what you're looking for instead of paying the $200 for a chat with the fitters. I understand it's a part of the process and experience, but would be a nice feature if they'd ever allow it, especially if you can't make it to Phoenix so easily, but have done putter fittings in the past.

Guess I see it more as a "pay for the putter" not a "pay for the experience" deal when it's done virtually. If it was as simple as a 1hr drive, i'd be there in a heartbeat and more than happy to pay for the service, but it's more like $800 in flights, $500 in hotels, $300 in rentals... etc. Makes it tough when I start adding. It would be nice to see them collaborate with fitters in every state so we all have someone local that provides the same level of expertise and service and act as the middle man between us and Ping WRX.

Edited by etodd

WITB

4 minutes ago, etodd said:

Honestly looking at a fairly straightforward build:

Head: Anser / Anser 5 Longneck

Weighting: Tungsten plugs added to bring it to 360g

Milling: Standard circular milling, maybe a little more shallow

Finish: Stainless w/ Satin

Alignment: Flange line (right eye dominant)

Engravings: Quite a bit of sole engravings, but shouldn't add a ton of MFC time

Shaft: I'll probably ship them a KBS CT Tour Black for the build, or see what they recommend. 34.5"

Grip: pp58 Cord Midsize

I wish they would let you sign a waiver and just order the putter specifically to your specs if you already know exactly what you're looking for instead of paying the $200 for a chat with the fitters. I understand it's a part of the process and experience, but would be a nice feature if they'd ever allow it, especially if you can't make it to Phoenix so easily, but have done putter fittings in the past.

Guess I see it more as a "pay for the putter" not a "pay for the experience" deal when it's done virtually. If it was as simple as a 1hr drive, i'd be there in a heartbeat and more than happy to pay for the service, but it's more like $800 in flights, $500 in hotels, $300 in rentals... etc. Makes it tough when I start adding. It would be nice to see them collaborate with fitters in every state so we all have someone local that provides the same level of expertise and service and act as the middle man between us and Ping WRX.

If you're close to knowing what you want I guess doing the virtual fitting wouldn't be bad to confirm and get the ball rolling on it. 

Yeah I get that part, I'm close to Ping Canada and could have gone there but I was doing a trip to Phoenix already and got lucky getting a fitting time at Ping, if not would have just done it in Canada but experience is crazy different between the two. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

We have an update.....the putter has shipped!!!! 

It should arrive tomorrow, just constantly checking FedEx tracking if I need to pay for clearance cause FedEx likes to charge for BS clearance and I'm too lazy to go do it myself if it's under $50 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread