2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

6 hours ago, tlehmann said:

Sharing the results of my PLD Custom experience, delivered last month.  What an experience with Alex and a special appearance by Tony Serrano during my fit. 

I went in with the idea to build a high performance, modern mallet with clean aesthetics.  I had high expectations going in, and Ping PLD absolutely knocked it out of the park.  Could not have had a better experience.

image.jpeg.9686c9fde6d0a9a97488182b821bd0e7.jpegimage.jpeg.7e2a9498a82fafd018922282d3b5dea3.jpegimage.jpeg.d7776e90c891eea515b34435e461628b.jpegimage.jpeg.7fa7461639aba54900c54c1da297e14d.jpeg

Dude, that is an amazing putter! Love it completely! What are the specs?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Ok I'm 8 rounds in with my PLD, had it out with me in Phoenix and around Ontario, Canada so far on various different greens from fast to slow. One thing I've gotten from multiple people is how well the ball rolls for me since I have a line. My one thing is my reading and speed have just been off a bit especially on bouncing around on multiple courses. 

I was at a point where I was considering yanking my Garsen Pistol Grip for something else but I think I've settled into the grip but it's on the hot seat. It's definitely been the best putter I've had to date for me but I just need to start seeing putts drop with it but confidence is high for sure so cannot complain. Practice, a lessons on setup and green reading and should have putting as a no worry part of my game. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

19 hours ago, MattM97 said:

PLD Inserts anyone? 

Screenshot_20240515_130150_Instagram.jpg.2b2917abf64c184a8de54020cb72f39a.jpg

Very cool. I didn't realize it was aluminum until this post. I wonder how it feels...

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

23 hours ago, MattM97 said:

PLD Inserts anyone? 

Screenshot_20240515_130150_Instagram.jpg.2b2917abf64c184a8de54020cb72f39a.jpg

Oh boy. 

That’s the last remaining item that would make my PLD top notch. I want just a tad softer feeling on strike. I don’t have the luxury of changing the ball to suit that. I need higher flying higher spinning balls. Pro V1x is a great ball other than just wanting it to be a bit softer. 

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

6 minutes ago, Arlin964 said:

Oh boy. 

That’s the last remaining item that would make my PLD top notch. I want just a tad softer feeling on strike. I don’t have the luxury of changing the ball to suit that. I need higher flying higher spinning balls. Pro V1x is a great ball other than just wanting it to be a bit softer. 

I'm now wondering if they'll have other inserts, not that I'd want one but all the other Ping staffers that are using OTR putters with inserts and customers that prefer a soft insert. That would also make them one of the only companies that would offer that as well. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 5/16/2024 at 5:29 PM, Arlin964 said:

Oh boy. 

Just a quick ball suggestion - TP5. Softer and higher spinning. 

• Like 1

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

55 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Ping just announced that they're doing a limited run of Anser 30 heads in the Milled line so something some guys could grab without going custom. 

oooo I might have to order one. I’m local to ping so I’ve been considering doing a custom ping fitting down the road. I’ve kinda taken an interest in collecting and trying putters… this would probably be a good one to try!

On 5/7/2024 at 6:02 PM, OnlyBuilt4ScottishLinks said:

I got one at my pld fitting in Feb of 23.  According to the fitter this was one of the last my day heads available that were made for the tour department.  No idea if they’ve made anymore by now.  

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

It exists! Now I have to figure out how to get one... being from Canada.

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

7 minutes ago, Binson said:

It exists! Now I have to figure out how to get one... being from Canada.

Contact Ping Canada for a fitting. Would want to speak to Adam Vickerman. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, newportbeach said:

From Ping’s IG. 

IMG_2478.jpeg

IMG_2480.jpeg

IMG_2479.jpeg

If I hadn't just purchased a Phantom 5.5 and already had a pretty sweet Byron Morgan long neck, I would have already purchased one. Knowing me, I probably still will 😂

• Haha 1

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Jbw6896 said:

For those who have gotten a fitting (or know), do they only offer stainless models or do they have carbon as well? I am thinging about doing this, however I really love the feel of carbon vs. stainless. Any insight?

They have carbon in multiple finishes

In addition to my quesion above, it looks like PLD doesn't make a Answer style with a slant neck. Obviously I will listen to the recomendation they give, but histroically I have hated the look of a plumbers neck on a blade. Does anyone know if they are able to change the neck style of an answer for the custom order?

3 minutes ago, Jbw6896 said:

In addition to my quesion above, it looks like PLD doesn't make a Answer style with a slant neck. Obviously I will listen to the recomendation they give, but histroically I have hated the look of a plumbers neck on a blade. Does anyone know if they are able to change the neck style of an answer for the custom order?

The Anser 4 or Anser 4K are options if you fit into that neck. If you fit into a mallet there is the 3 neck option. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 minutes ago, Jbw6896 said:

Thanks! any clue on the question regarding the slant neck for the Anser style putter?

I'm not sure exactly but if you go back to the early pages of this thread there are photos of examples.  Some guys were trying to recreate a Cam Smith style putter and they got pretty close.

6 hours ago, StoutKing said:

I'm not sure exactly but if you go back to the early pages of this thread there are photos of examples.  Some guys were trying to recreate a Cam Smith style putter and they got pretty close.

Got it, thanks. Last question (sorry, trying to figure out if I want to put down a deposit). My go to putter now is the original Scotty Cameron Santa Fe with the copper insert. I’m not sure if it’s the light weight of the head or the feel of the copper insert but I’m most confident with it. 

does the PLD program have any inserts that have a similar feel to the copper insert? 

44 minutes ago, Jbw6896 said:

Got it, thanks. Last question (sorry, trying to figure out if I want to put down a deposit). My go to putter now is the original Scotty Cameron Santa Fe with the copper insert. I’m not sure if it’s the light weight of the head or the feel of the copper insert but I’m most confident with it. 

does the PLD program have any inserts that have a similar feel to the copper insert? 

That I don't know.  They do have various milling patterns that produce different types of feel.  Others here may know more.

48 minutes ago, Jbw6896 said:

They did tease an aluminum insert but could be prototype, they could suggest a milling close to what they think feel would be. 

Also no deposit you pay full shebang, unless you count the fitting as a deposit. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

For those who have gotten carbon with a black finish, how dull or shiny is the finish? Personally I want something that’s not straight flat black but has a bit of shine to it? I know Ping is all about performance over colors and such, but the right look for me gives me additional confidence and equals performance 

6 hours ago, Jbw6896 said:

For those who have gotten carbon with a black finish, how dull or shiny is the finish? Personally I want something that’s not straight flat black but has a bit of shine to it? I know Ping is all about performance over colors and such, but the right look for me gives me additional confidence and equals performance 

I would say it's a good middle ground. I would say on a 1-10 scale with 1 being flat black with zero shine and 10 being shiny, it's a 3. I actually contacted Ping yesterday about possibly re-doing the finish on my carbon 2D. The sole was pretty worn when I bought it pre-owned so I might have it restored to new. 

Edited by JStang

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Ok so I wanted to touch base and give a run down of the entire process I went through with my trip to Ping and the Proving Grounds and my PLD putter fitting.

In short, it was nothing short of amazing and everything was perfect and done with the utmost attention to detail. I highly recommend the entire experience and definitely go if you can go!

My fitter was Colton and he couldn’t have done a better job with everything! We talked about my pre-fitting stats on the app/cradle I did at home before I came. My tendencies, likes/dislikes, etc. My gamer is a 34” Champions Choice Newport 2 with standard 3.5° loft and standard 70° lie, and I have played a lot of Newport 2’s in my life with an occasional gaming of a mallet like a Rossie. I honestly didn’t know what would be best for me coming into the fitting, but had probably narrowed it down to an Anser 2 or the DS72 if I needed more of a straight/face balanced model.

My initial numbers from home were very good, but we started and and saw how that matched up in person. I hit some putts and we looked at more initial readings and video and checked my “lines” with where my head/eyes were and everything else.

I was averaging a “putting handicap” of around +3, which I learned is in the neighborhood of the average pro! I knew I was a good putter, but that was a confidence boost especially knowing I never practice anymore and haven’t played a lot routinely in 3 years. My stroke was averaging around 3.8° of closure which put me in the slight arc category and easily enough fit the Anser 2/Newport 2 that I’ve been playing. Out with the DS72 and easy and comfortable decision to stay with the style I was familiar with.

In regards to where my eyes were, they weren’t far off, but we went from 34”, to trying it at 34.5”, and immediately that got me in a better position and my eyes were more in line over the ball. Check! 

The next issue was the lie. Honestly I would have guessed beforehand that if anything, I might have needed to be even another degree more upright. Wrong! At impact, sure enough on camera, I was actually coming through with the toe slightly up. So we decided to go to 1° flat (21°/69°). Check!

As far as my tempo and such, we tried another option that was lighter, but it wasn’t quite as good, and decided 350g did fit me best. 

Once we narrowed these down, we grabbed a few putters and took a tour through the club making facilities and saw the building process for the WRX department and the room where all the PLD putters are handmade, really cool!

We got a putter bent to 21° lie and took it and a couple more we had narrowed down outside to the putting green and watched as to how I was rolling them. The lie looked good at address and I was starting them on line. Check! 

We watched as I tried a couple lofts to see how the ball was rolling especially coming off the face. I didn’t have very much shaft lean at impact, and 3° was not giving the best roll, and given the fact I play some fast and some slow greens at home, we decided to stick with 3.5° which was giving a nice roll. Check! Among the couple of putters I tried a medium and a deep milled face. I knew I wanted something fairly soft and didn’t want the “click” of a smooth face so that was narrowed down. I decided I like the deep a little better and it did feel very soft and amazing off the face!

Having narrowed down the specs, it was time to go inside, cool off, and talk about looks and all the fun stuff. I had an idea (thanks to some previous posts here) about what I might want already. We also decided that the alignment line on the back was probably still best for me and that was good by me and something I was used to.

In the end I wound up with an Anser 2, 34.5”, carbon 350g head that will have tungsten inserted on the back flanges, patina finish (not the dark patina, but the lighter one), 21°/69° lie, 3.5° loft, chrome shaft, blackout midsize PP58, with my own touches of engraving, and all white paint fill. I’ll post some pictures once I get them!

In addition, while I’m waiting on my PLD, I got my Newport 2 extended to 34.5” and 1° flat to match my specs exactly. First round out yesterday, even on some slightly shaggy and bumpy greens, I had 24 putts, including 6 birdies and some nice up and down saves. So I believe the fitting and even the small adjustments were absolutely spot on, and a big difference! I’m really looking forward to getting my PLD soon!

Also did get some swag and got to check out the gold putter vault and hold some of those, just an awesome all experience for sure!

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_7283.jpeg

Edited by objxtn
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi2 10° w/Ventus Blue 6x w/VeloCore

Titleist TSi2 15° w/Ventus Blue 7x w/VeloCore
Titleist TSi2 21° w/Ventus Blue 8x w/VeloCore
Titleist T100S (2021) 4-PW w/PX LZ 6.0
Vokey SM8 Raw 52.12F, 56.10S, and 60.08M
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5 34"
Pro V1