2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2022 Scotty Cameron Phantom Lineup

kb7

6 minutes ago, RainShadow said:

Any real difference between the new 5.5 and last version?

I'm not seeing much change other than the sole plate and fancy grip?

Hove a chance to pick up the 2021 version at a slight discount with my specs.

No. Cosmetic changes only on 5 and 5.5 from my understanding. 

• Thanks 1

TSi3 10* / Ventus TR Red 6s
TS2 16.5* / Ventus TR Red 7s
TS2 19* / Ventus Blue HB 7s
716 T-MB 4i-5i / Modus3 Tour 120x
716 CB 6i-P / Modus3 Tour 120x
SM5 50f @51/ 54s @55 / 58m @59 / Modus3 125 Wedge
2022 Phantom 5.5 Circle H 34" / Matador M 

20 hours ago, btyh said:

I ordered a 7.5 day of pre-order. Came in today

20220510_204615.jpg

Nice looking putter but why did you pull the shaft? 

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

12 minutes ago, tim583 said:

Can anyone compare the 9 series and 5 series? I want a 5.5 but can’t find one to roll. Never touched one. I tried a 9.5 today and fell in love but I wish I could compare the feel and alignment back to back. Don’t want to spend $430 and then think “what if?”

Oddly in same boat. Been rolling with a 9. Was at a shop messing around and they had a (last years) 5.5 - and I was fire with it. Notably, I’m coming from years of center shaft Scotty’s and adjusting has been a process. I’m finding I have more flow in my natural stroke than I knew. SBST (or trying) was apparently a manipulation. I’m trying to find my most repeatable stroke.

Anyway - To me the sound of the 5.5 was different than the 9 and 9.5 (which I guess may be the aluminum center piece with the chambers) It felt and sounded “harder” to me than the 5.5. This may be true or it may be a condition of the different putter corral I was in. I’m going tomorrow or Friday to check out a 2022 5 or 5.5 with my 9 in hand to see what gives (and if I can duplicate my surprisingly good performance).

2 hours ago, sandshark said:

Oddly in same boat. Been rolling with a 9. Was at a shop messing around and they had a (last years) 5.5 - and I was fire with it. Notably, I’m coming from years of center shaft Scotty’s and adjusting has been a process. I’m finding I have more flow in my natural stroke than I knew. SBST (or trying) was apparently a manipulation. I’m trying to find my most repeatable stroke.

Anyway - To me the sound of the 5.5 was different than the 9 and 9.5 (which I guess may be the aluminum center piece with the chambers) It felt and sounded “harder” to me than the 5.5. This may be true or it may be a condition of the different putter corral I was in. I’m going tomorrow or Friday to check out a 2022 5 or 5.5 with my 9 in hand to see what gives (and if I can duplicate my surprisingly good performance).

Interesting. I thought the 9 felt very very soft and wondered if the aluminum center piece absorbed vibration. I like the thick alignment and suppose I’d like to compare to the top line to see which is better for me. Wish any shops had them in stock here. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tim583 said:

Interesting. I thought the 9 felt very very soft and wondered if the aluminum center piece absorbed vibration. I like the thick alignment and suppose I’d like to compare to the top line to see which is better for me. Wish any shops had them in stock here. 

I’m hoping it was a fluke of the room (except the great putting) 

I am certain that the aluminum center with the horizontal holes affects the overall sound. 

IMO the 2022 lineup seems kinda light in headweight as well, I’m hoping plugging some 25’s in (34”) will change that nicely (and will change the feel as well, so again- withholding final judgment).

I do NOT get along with stock grip. Tried to love it. I do not. Matador midsize is my jam.

The only thing I am 💯 on is that in transitioning from center shafted models (futura 5s is latest of those) EVERYTHING seems weird…reworking my putting to fit what I hope is my most repeatable stroke is a heck of a process.

Only difference in the 5 and 9 is the aluminum piece. It’s just larger on the 9 providing a different alignment style. It will also provide a different sound and feel depending on who is swinging the putter.

honestly to me they felt identical but I’m not one that can really get that specific in my feels.

I ended up with the five. Can pick a ball up with it. Lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SuperBombin said:

If I send my 7 in to titleist for a grip change, can I take off the stock grip and keep it or do I need to keep it on for them to change it? Would I get the stock grip back?

The question is what grip do you want to replace it with and if it's worth doing it.  you can send the putter without a grip. 

I hit about 10 putts with the 5.5 today while I was checking out a fitter.  I really liked it, and normally mallets and I don’t get along.  Time to start saving some coin.  But would definitely want a different grip.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

On 5/12/2022 at 1:21 PM, SuperBombin said:

If I send my 7 in to titleist for a grip change, can I take off the stock grip and keep it or do I need to keep it on for them to change it? Would I get the stock grip back?

It is doubtful you will get the stock grip back or at least in one piece. If you were sending something to the custom shop send the minimal possible. If you’re getting a grip and weights, blow the grip off and save it and take the existing weights out. You might get them back, you might not. I will be doing grip, weights and headcover, so none of those items will be shipped to Scotty. Note that if you do a grip and a headcover you get free paint fill mods. I refuse to pay 250% markup eBay prices. Rather loose the putter for a couple weeks. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

Only difference in the 5 and 9 is the aluminum piece. It’s just larger on the 9 providing a different alignment style. It will also provide a different sound and feel depending on who is swinging the putter.

honestly to me they felt identical but I’m not one that can really get that specific in my feels.

I ended up with the five. Can pick a ball up with it. Lol

The “feel” for me is 50% sound so I did note a difference. If I had earplugs I probably would not have. 

• Like 1

Finally got to roll the 9.5 in a shop today. Been looking for a non-insert puttee to replace my Spider Tour for a while, and it  took all my willpower not to buy it on the spot. Only reason I didn't was I want to go through my pro at the club.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

On 5/13/2022 at 4:27 PM, sandshark said:

It is doubtful you will get the stock grip back or at least in one piece. If you were sending something to the custom shop send the minimal possible. If you’re getting a grip and weights, blow the grip off and save it and take the existing weights out. You might get them back, you might not. I will be doing grip, weights and headcover, so none of those items will be shipped to Scotty. Note that if you do a grip and a headcover you get free paint fill mods. I refuse to pay 250% markup eBay prices. Rather loose the putter for a couple weeks. 

this was helpful. I just sent mine in yesterday for a grip change and new headcover to get the free paint fill. Can't wait to get it back!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CardsChamps11 said:

For those that have the 5.5. Did replacing the stock grip affect the feel? I took a demo of this putter out on course and I found it to have a really soft feel. I had to hit it pretty good to get it to the hole. Would switching the grip make it feel a bit firmer?

The stock grip is already pretty firm compared to say a matador. This is a super subjective question (or answer, whatever)

The usual rules for greens apply here and may help if you feel like you’re laying into it to get to the hole - heavier head for slower greens and light head for faster, so a weight change could be helpful. IMO, Ymmv and all that. 😁 

23 hours ago, tim583 said:

Hey Sandshark, what difference DID you feel or hear between the 9 and the 5?

I am still loving my 7 and not exactly sure it will translate for you but here is my opinion. I play the last dash ball. I had a hard time leaving and Oddy 7 due to the feel off the putter. I had the 11 for a while and it was still very hard and clicky. My new 7 is very solid feeling. Not nearly as soft as the odyssey but much less of a click sound at impact over the 11. So much so that going to a regular ProV1 is almost too soft for me. The 11 and 9 share alot of the same build and same for the 5 and 7. I have tried my friends 5 and it is very solid feeling as well. It probably has much more to do with sound but for some reason the aluminum in the putters just introduce more of a hard feeling to me. YRMV

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:40 AM, So_Cal said:

Replacing the stock grip with lamkin  deep etched really made my 5.5 come alive.  The material softens over time.  Just a thought for those who don’t like the stock.  

I don’t hate the feel of the stock grip (don’t like the look at all), but I think I’m going to put the Lamkin Deep Etched Full Cord on mine as well. Have you continued to have good results with this setup?

On 5/21/2022 at 5:30 AM, tim583 said:

Hey Sandshark, what difference DID you feel or hear between the 9 and the 5?

awtryau89 was on track with their comment - the 9 has more “click” to me which my brain turns into “feels hard”, especially with a 1x. Slightly less with a regular V but still there. The 5 is solid feeling without that click. (I only rolled a 7 series enough times to say it wasn’t my jam so I don’t recall there) I am thinking the billet center with the transverse holes bored through it in the 9 (and 9.5, 11, 11.5) might be doing this.

Also thinking (as I get closer towards 90 days I notice I am thinking more and more 😂) that there might be less (thinner) stainless under the face - but I have not removed a center plate and compared to see if it is milled out differently. My theory there is since mass isn’t free and there is a target ballpark weight Cameron is hitting with all the various bare heads, having more aluminum in a certain model like the 9 (that is otherwise almost a 5) means having slightly less stainless somewhere , or Vice-versa. The little bit removed at the back of the wings in the 9 (the rounded back) doesn’t seem like it would be much mass removed by itself. This is admittedly all seat of the pants engineering and I could well be wrong about this second one.

I will say I was all fire to get a 9 and send it to the custom shop but now I’m hanging on to it stock for a bit as it is on waivers in my bag. I have changed my second order (a 34” 9 heavy with a grey matador mid) to a 5.5 heavy in same spec without losing my place in line. I just cannot love the 2022 grip. I have tried. The bonus in all these machinations pivoting from being a center shaft guy and trying to find my best repeatable stroke is now I can finally get the Jackpot Johnny headcover I’ve wanted since oh.. 2013 or so 😁 

4 hours ago, Crimson62185 said:

I don’t hate the feel of the stock grip (don’t like the look at all), but I think I’m going to put the Lamkin Deep Etched Full Cord on mine as well. Have you continued to have good results with this setup?

Yes I’ve had success with the non cord version.  It has much more tack than the stock grip so I can relax my grip pressure and have more touch.  The rubber takes a while to soften though.  I’d like to try the cord version at some point.  

Recently I’ve switched to a putter with slightly less toe hang.  Going to try that for a while.