Anyone Rocking a 2 Driver Bag? (2 drivers instead of driver and 3 wood)

squirrel211

On 4/29/2022 at 8:55 AM, b.mattay said:
On 4/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, PEI_Golfer said:

I'm curious the reason to bag 2 drivers.  Are people that bad with it, or that good with driver but can't seem to work the ball.  I find it hard to believe that that many are really good with driver in hand to be able to need 2 to 'work the ball both ways', while not being able to do that with 1 driver. 

Most tour players don't work driver both ways

After hearing/reading this elsewhere, I have taken it to heart.  I fade the ball naturally, especially with the longer clubs.  My scores have been improving lately after committing to essentially NEVER trying to hit a draw off the tee with driver.   If the hole doglegs left, I aim down the left-center, and hit "as straight of a fade as possible."  Committing to one shot shape improves my dispersion with driver, so even when that shape isn't always optimal for the hole, I keep it in play and usually can make par on those holes.  And since I hit a fade essentially every time off the tee, I know what its going to do, and can play aggressively with that swing when the hole allows it. 

But I still don't think I would dedicate a spot in the bag for a "draw driver."   Not enough potential "strokes gained" for me, IMO.  It might get me 20 yards closer on 2 or 3 holes per round, and that potential reward still wouldn't be risk-free.  Opportunity cost and all that...  The #2 spot is mostly for "as long as possible off the deck" for Par 5's.  And I like having a low-bounce lob wedge AND more options at the long end (hybrids and/or lofted woods) to help my GIR from distance.    

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I play a Driver and a Mini Driver (homemade) 

my Driver is 7.5° at 44.5”

my Mini Driver 11° at 42.5” 

I am much better of the tee with a Mini Driver than I am a 3W. I’m fairly long (not by WRX standards) but I hover around 112-114mph swing speed.

Directionally I am hitting the green with a 3W off the deck maybe 10% of the time as a single digit cap (I don’t play as much, but this was true when I was a 1.8 index as well) 

I hit my 18° 5w off the deck pretty long, and my percentage of hitting the green compared to the 3W has to be double ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

There are instances where I need to hit something less than driver, but more than 5W so I chose the loft and length of my mini to sit at 3W distance off the tee.   

My mini driver is a 3W replacement, so not really a second driver, but it has been a welcome addition. 

• Like 1

Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart!!!!!!

I play 2 "drivers" in all three of my bags that get play throughout the year.  Really, I play 3 "drivers" because my 3rd longest club in two of the three bags is a 1 iron which is used almost exclusively off the tee, so yeah, 3 "drivers."

Having an unobstructed approach shot at the green that is as close as possible while still being respectful of ACTUAL hazards is paramount to shooting the lowest scores you can.  For instance, I played a quick 9 hole + 1 emergency hole match against two other PGA pros this past week.  They both hit it straighter than I did.  They both putted better than I did.  They both hit their irons WAY better than I did (I hit 4 GIR and one was a par 5 that I chipped onto).  And we short-gamed it about equally.  But I outdrove them both by 40+ on all 8 non-par 3's.  I tied one match and won the other 3&2.  

My main bag has a true driver and then a HOT fairway wood that I can draw or fade.  I often will put a Callaway BB Mini in this bag, and the only reason it isn't in there right now is because I can't seem to replicate the feel/swing weight/MOI/whatever of the fairway wood that I have right now.  But the long term plan is to have two actual drivers in the bag followed by a 1 iron.  My vintage bag has a PING Eye 2 green dot driver (10.5°) and then a red dot (13.5°).  The red dot is WAY easier to turn over for a draw.  And then my lefty bag has a Callaway 816 DBD at 8° and a TaylorMade R15 12° turned up a hair.  One goes left, the other goes a hair longer and goes right.  All I have to do is decide which side of the hole I'd rather not be on!  And, if it really is just a stinker of a hole and there isn't a good miss, out comes the chicken stick and I try to make 4.5 on the hole.  

My dad asked about the two drivers and I explained to him that the WORST shot that I could hit off the tee lefty was a pop up because it doesn't gain any real distance.  Add to that the fact that low point control is not a skill that I have in any great quantity playing lefty and it becomes real clear real quick that if I want a tee shot to go shorter than driver, I still want a club that has lots of face depth to lessen/remove the likelihood of a sky ball.  And, if I can't hit a fairway wood well off a tee, how often do you think I should be hitting it off the deck?  That's right, never, so it just isn't needed in the bag until my swing gets a WHOLE lot better.  

Two drivers, be they mini, 460cc, 1 irons, or whatever isn't a niche setup for only certain golfers.  In fact, it is quite the opposite.  It is a very good way for the majority of golfers to lower their scores without doing anything terribly different their golf game.  

Except changing their mindset, of course. 

That is imperative.  

• Thanks 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Well, due to my sickness, I may be one of those guys. I just got a sim max 9° off ebay and because I rarely use my 3 wood off the deck, I'll probably bag 2 drivers until I learn how the 9° plays. The question is which shaft do I play in which driver lol. The sim max is coming with a kuro kage reg flex and I have a diamana pd 50 in the sim max d. I'm probably going to put the diamana in the sim max, mostly because I'm thinking of having that as a backup driver. I have to say, this is not how I expected to be bowing out of the BISC.

The worst part of this sickness, I can't blame it on this forum. My driver hoeing started long before I joined here. I can at least take solace in the fact that I seem to have gotten a good deal. 

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

My current two-driver fantasy:

TSR3 08.00 / Toe Weight / Ventus Red (mid-fade)

TSR3 10.00 / Heel Weight / Ventus Black (high-draw)

Then 4 wood and 4 iron or 7 wood. 

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I worked on, and have learned to choke down and hit a low running punch cut with my driver, sort of as a “second serve” type drive. 

Today, I threw my 85g 7 wood shaft (plays around 41.5”) in my driver for kicks and had a blast hitting it. Made me think I might just cut a heavier version of my driver shaft to have as a back up option on courses that demand it. Still not trying to rock 2 drivers though.