Anyone Rocking a 2 Driver Bag? (2 drivers instead of driver and 3 wood)

squirrel211

On my home course, I almost NEVER use my 3 wood.  Occasionally I'll pull it out on the 6th tee, but truly it's once every 3-7 rounds?

I just got fit into a Callaway ST Max LS (CLS), and was averaging 18' left-to-right curve, so a slight fade.  That is a great shot shape for 9 on the 14 driver holes, but 3 of the remaining holes are par 5's, and they truly benefit from a draw.  2 of them, BIG draws.  With a big draw you can get down to 200 in on one, and 170-ish in on the second.  One of the remaining par 4's also benefits from a big draw.

I'm thinking about ordering the "D" version as well, and putting that in the bag instead of the 3 wood.  I'd use it 5 times per round!

Am I crazy?  Is the flight shape difference between the CLS and D heads worth the consideration?

***  I searched and came up with a lot of classified ads, but no discussions.

Edited by squirrel211

Phil was doing something like that a while back. I haven't seen him do it lately, so there's that. My preference is for a driver that's neutral, so I can work it either left or right, though I usually play it dead center. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I carry a driver, mini driver and 3 wood. I dropped my 60 degree which I'd only hit once (really badly to boot) per round. The mini driver is a game changer, for some reason an easy swing goes 290+ for me, and dead straight.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

I personally wouldn't bag two drivers, but there's a lot of setups out there that I'd never play myself.  If you really would get 5 shots a round out of it then it seems like it might be worth kicking the tires on.

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

I've had this setup since mid-2020.

Replaced my 3W (which I never hit off the deck) with a 12* 917D2 that I'm using as a 2W.  Played around with different shaft combinations before setting on a Graphite Design XC 7X.  Default shot is a baby fade, but I can draw the ball if needed.  Smooth swings give me about 250 carry but limited roll.  Keeps me short of trouble (water, bunkers, end of dogleg) on many par-4s around here.

Actual driver is a 10.5* TS3.  For a long time I gamed an OG Diamana 'ahina 6X, which gave me low cuts all day long.  Now experimenting with a Tensei Pro White 1K 7TX.  

I don't miss the 3W.   Have hybrids for longer approaches if needed.  This setup lets me go after doglegs in either direction, and take advantage of the wind when its favorable.  Plus I hit driver more often, which is always fun.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I'm curious the reason to bag 2 drivers.  Are people that bad with it, or that good with driver but can't seem to work the ball.  I find it hard to believe that that many are really good with driver in hand to be able to need 2 to 'work the ball both ways', while not being able to do that with 1 driver. 

Is the new sets of the future going to be 2 split sets with different lie angles to help promote different flights?

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

I have experimented with this over the years. Last year I played a lot with a driver and a mini driver. I might go with that combo again this year. But right now the mini driver is competing with my strong three wood. 

But if you have space in the bag, I say go for it. You could either do a Bomber-Thriver combo, or you could do a Draw-Bias/Fade-Bias combo.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Yes, and there are a few threads on here discussing it in some detail. 

I float back and forth between Driver number 2 and mini driver in the two spot and then between fairway and driving iron in the 3 spot.  Big dog & clubs #4-14 stay the same virtually all the time now (with consideration to the fact I’m a true WRX’er, so….)

I want my two longest clubs to shape opposite directions to allow for the use of the longest club off the tee as often as possible.  

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

The DRAKESTER !

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I never understood people hating non traditional setups. Play what works, as long as it doesn’t break the bank for you. Haters gonna hate.

• Like 3

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I often have two drivers in the bag, typically for testing a new (to me) driver that I've ho'd; but have also toyed with the two drivers set up for that (having a draw driver as #2) very purpose.  The issue is that I do not readily possess that shot with a driver and the projects have failed.  It comes down to shot selection on those holes that favor a draw or a hook.  At times I will take them on with a driver if the risk is not too great, or I'll hit a 3 wood or a bunted driver that does not run out too far.  I am still trying with the idea of a thriver and/or a mini for that shot.....so I have not given up yet 😎

I picked up a TM 300 Mini driver @13.5 a few months back and it has been a game changer for me. 

I am confident and have no problem hitting a straight to a cut ball with the driver, however I am not a fan of playing a draw with a driver.  I either block it or over hook it.  I can play a draw with pretty much every club in my bag, but the driver for whatever reason is just not great for it.

I do NOT hit the mini as far as my driver, but since I know it will go straight with a small draw to a mid draw it is much more reliable for that shot shape.

I can also play a cut with the Mini for a few holes where driver is too much off the tee, but it does not cut a ton.

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 4/27/2022 at 4:56 PM, PEI_Golfer said:

I'm curious the reason to bag 2 drivers.  Are people that bad with it, or that good with driver but can't seem to work the ball.  I find it hard to believe that that many are really good with driver in hand to be able to need 2 to 'work the ball both ways', while not being able to do that with 1 driver. 

Most tour players don't work driver both ways

• Like 3

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I alternate in/out a Mavrick Max 3+ 13.5* wood and a 14* Big Bertha APW driver.  The 3+ is there for courses where I can occasionally reach a par 5 on a second shot, or if it is crazy windy. 

The second driver is the same head as my normal driver, and both play at 43" long.  The 14* loft lets me close the face a bit, and with a bit more heal weight, I can produce a bit of a draw.  It works great on courses that have short dogleg Par 4s, where it is nice to get around the corner a little at say 220-230yds.  One course in particular I use it at, doesn't have any reachable par 5s, so I'm usually hitting a 5 or 7 wood layup, so I'm not missing the 3+ being absent.

They both go about the same distance, they just do it differently, and suit different courses.

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

5 hours ago, b.mattay said:

Most tour players don't work driver both ways

They do when the hole dictates it, or in the case at ST. G when the Can Open was there, they actually took out a tree so the babies could hit a draw and not be forced to hit a cut.

Then again, most Tour players don't play 2 drivers, or even contemplate it like that of wrx playing professionals...

A Revolving Door

3 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

They do when the hole dictates it, or in the case at ST. G when the Can Open was there, they actually took out a tree so the babies could hit a draw and not be forced to hit a cut.

Some do. Lots don't-DJ has gone on record saying he doesn't draw driver. Zalatoris, Speith are others who work it one way

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I experimented with this setup for a little bit this Spring.  I went with a bomber / thriver approach.  The Bomber played a 50g x flex shaft at 47" length and 7.5*.  The Thriver played a 60g stiff flex shaft at 43" and 10.5*.  I think there is some good potential there.  My main problem was that I had difficulty getting it to be fitted properly.  The bomber wasn't very functional.  Even though I was generating more clubhead speed, my strike quality went down and my launch conditions weren't great.  The thriver was quite solid and I really liked it.  Ultimately though I settled on playing a more traditional driver and get the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS - 8*

Woods - Cobra LTDx 14*

Hybrids - Ping G425 19, 22, 26, 30

Irons - Maltby KE4 Max 8-GW

Wedges - Maltby TSW 54, 60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura X Armlock

My WITB Shenanigans

I'm one of those.

Fade driver:  I can't draw without trying really hard to, even though I draw every club normally.  This is my go-to.  A miss is usually more right, sometimes a little pull but never really anything curving left.  Kind of a one trick pony, but can also hit a squeeze fade.

Draw driver:  I can hit fades with this too, but I feel more comfortable turning this over.  I have a strong wood that I only really used to hit tee shots with a draw, so figured just bomb it with a drawable driver... Plus I only play for fun, and don't have any long courses around.  This is actually hittable off the deck too.  If I put more time with this, it could be my only driver.  

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I actually hit a new 3 wood on the range, with a similar shaft to the one in my new driver (that I'm still waiting to arrive!) and was able to really turn it over off the tee without losing it to the left.  (When I try to work my driver to the left I tend to SNAP HOOK IT) 

Hitting it off the tee seemed with the draw seemed to really reduce spin, and it carried pretty well. 

So I bought it.  It will work great on the draw holes, with the exception of one.  That one has a 280 carry over the corner of a pond, so I think I'll stick with driver there.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping a year-old thread here ... just wondering if anybody is trying the two-driver set-up this season? 

Right now, I go 4W+7W (or 4W+3H if it's a really windy day). However, at my home course, the 4W really doesn't see much action at all. I use it, at most, twice a round. It's a little too long on holes where I need less than driver, and to be honest I'm not sure I'm any more accurate with it off the tee than I am my driver (the G430 Max is amazing), so it's not a "tight fairways" club for me, either. 

Where I struggle is with tee shots where I need to hit a draw. It's not a comfortable shot for me -- the G430 Max is incredibly straight, but straight is pretty much what I always want to ask it to do -- and what I intend to be a draw has a tendency to turn into a nasty hook. 

I play my driver at 7.5 degrees (stated loft; it's not digitally lofted so who knows) and 45.25" and hit 5-6 degrees up on it. I was thinking about trying a 12 degree driver head, maybe an older-model Ping with a sliding weight in the heel, at like 43.75", with a heavier shaft and a heavier weight in the head. That way I could play it further back in my stance and have an easier time starting it left (I'm a lefty) and hitting a draw. 

I do something like this with my current driver -- tee it low, back in my stance, choke down to the bottom of the grip, for really tight fairways. Because of the loft it doesn't get up very high, but it does seem to work and allow me to hit a draw when I need to. 

I also thought about the BRNR mini driver, but as a lefty my only option would be 11.5 degrees. For a tee-only club, I'm not sure I see why it would be more advantageous than taking the forgiveness of a 460 cc driver head. 

Just something I'm thinking about, so I figured I'd ask if anybody's trying anything like this this year.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

3 hours ago, eric61 said:

I'm bumping a year-old thread here ... just wondering if anybody is trying the two-driver set-up this season? 

Right now, I go 4W+7W (or 4W+3H if it's a really windy day). However, at my home course, the 4W really doesn't see much action at all. I use it, at most, twice a round. It's a little too long on holes where I need less than driver, and to be honest I'm not sure I'm any more accurate with it off the tee than I am my driver (the G430 Max is amazing), so it's not a "tight fairways" club for me, either. 

Where I struggle is with tee shots where I need to hit a draw. It's not a comfortable shot for me -- the G430 Max is incredibly straight, but straight is pretty much what I always want to ask it to do -- and what I intend to be a draw has a tendency to turn into a nasty hook. 

I play my driver at 7.5 degrees (stated loft; it's not digitally lofted so who knows) and 45.25" and hit 5-6 degrees up on it. I was thinking about trying a 12 degree driver head, maybe an older-model Ping with a sliding weight in the heel, at like 43.75", with a heavier shaft and a heavier weight in the head. That way I could play it further back in my stance and have an easier time starting it left (I'm a lefty) and hitting a draw. 

I do something like this with my current driver -- tee it low, back in my stance, choke down to the bottom of the grip, for really tight fairways. Because of the loft it doesn't get up very high, but it does seem to work and allow me to hit a draw when I need to. 

I also thought about the BRNR mini driver, but as a lefty my only option would be 11.5 degrees. For a tee-only club, I'm not sure I see why it would be more advantageous than taking the forgiveness of a 460 cc driver head. 

Just something I'm thinking about, so I figured I'd ask if anybody's trying anything like this this year.

I thought about doing something very similar but chickened out. Just sticking with a 3 wood out of comfort. Currently playing a 7.5* lst that loves to go dead straight. Thought about getting a 9* max and leaving it at 9* and playing around 44”. At the end of the day I can still tee the lst up like a 3 wood and play a fairway finder so no reason to ditch the club I can play easy off the deck

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eric61 said:

I have a TM "Original One" 13.5* that i use as a 2nd driver/ "thriver". 

Previously had a TM SLDR 14* used for same purpose, which worked well (but simply got 'itchy'... i.e. normal SOP for GolfWRX ho's). 

w.r.t. "Older model Ping with a sliding weight in the heel"... 

presumably this means you're looking for a Ping G410 (with the adjustable weight in the heel)... or a Ping G400 SFT (with a fixed weight in the heel).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166078003481

I just put the 11.5* mini BRNR in the bag. I never use a 3 wood off the deck so I thought I’d give a second driver club a shot. 

Playing target desert golf with split fairways and blind tee shots is difficult to navigate with a full driver. Hit it a bit too far, run through the fairway, and now you’re hanging with the snakes in the cactus. 

I bought a new Stealth driver last June that I can use to work the ball.  Standard swing is a fade but I can hit a draw or a slice when the situation calls for any one of the three.

I also bought a 3HL that works great off the deck.  If I need more accuracy than my driver I'm pulling my 22* 5 iron as I'm more comfortable hitting irons better than woods. 

No need for a 2nd driver in my bag!

Edited by ShortGolfer

Currently: Driver / Mini Driver / 4 Wood

I've played two-driver setups many times over the years. Two standard drivers, two mini drivers, and one driver and one mini. 

Typically one of the two is more low-launching and fade biased and the other is higher-launching and draw biased. 

Works great, and since I carry a 4 wood (and often a 7 wood as well) I don't miss a 3 wood at all.

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Driver / Mini / 18* hybrid here.

There is a bit of a gap between MINI and hybrid(or 7 wood when I bring it out) but I rarely am gonna go at a green from mini distance unless it is hazard free in front anyway.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One