2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

7 wood converts - tell me your experience

Stinger83

16 hours ago, BirdieRoll said:

Is there a 7W out there that has a shaft length of a 3H? Hybrids look so closed to me that I'm looking at a 7W but then all the shafts are longer and I don't want something that I won't be able to control.

I play at 41", kinda the shortest you can go with adding weight to the head when most 7w are weighted to be played around 42.25"

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / '14 NWPT 2 + GPS

13 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I would like to try the heavenwood, but have some questions, first what loft is it, and how is it different to a normal fairway metal 

20* loft (and btw...I have the Epic Max Heavenwood....as I think there is also a Rogue Heavenwood)

It looks and performs like any normal lofted fairway wood.

I personally think they call it a Heavenwood because loft wise it sits between the 18* 5 Wood and the 21* 7 wood.

And they probably didn't call it a 6 Wood because it comes with the shaft length of a 3 Wood (43 inches, longer than a 6 wood would have in theory...).

Having said all that, I purchased it because I needed something loft wise that fit between my 16.5* degree 4 Wood (that I put on a 43 inch shaft) and my 23* 5 iron.  I originally had a 19* Hybrid (with a 40 inch shaft) but have come to the realization I'm more comfortable with a Fairway wood in my hands.  So I purchased a "preowned" Heavenwood and put a 42.5 inch shaft in it.

And as I said before, I love it.  Easy to hit and with a much higher launch than my former hybrid.

Edited by BigEx44
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I would like to try the heavenwood, but have some questions, first what loft is it, and how is it different to a normal fairway metal 

20* ... and it's no different than a 5 wood at address.  The reason I suggested an Epic or Epic Flash is that the heads and shafts are fully adjustable.  Plus, you can get pretty much any shaft you want to play either from CPO or from eBay for super cheap.  For example...I just ordered a really solid shaft from CPO for $44.

Edit...looks like the gentleman above the post was thinking the same thing at the same time.  👍

Edited by jj9000
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jj9000 said:

20* ... and it's no different than a 5 wood at address.  The reason I suggested an Epic or Epic Flash is that the heads and shafts are fully adjustable.  Plus, you can get pretty much any shaft you want to play either from CPO or from eBay for super cheap.  For example...I just ordered a really solid shaft from CPO for $44.

Ya i have a Flash driver and love it, that will widen my search at least becasue trying to find a flash 7 wood is pretty hard, I can seek the 7 or heavenwood now

4 minutes ago, jj9000 said:

Edit...looks like the gentleman above the post was thinking the same thing at the same time.  👍

Great minds think alike.....

2 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

Ya i have a Flash driver and love it, that will widen my search at least becasue trying to find a flash 7 wood is pretty hard, I can seek the 7 or heavenwood now

A quick heads up on this...the Flash Heavenwood has a different hosel adapter than the OG Epic GBB Heavenwood.  So, if you're searching for an aftermarket shaft for the Flash...search for a COG3...if OG Epic GBB...search for a COG2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Stinger83 said:

Yea I don't want it to be a bomber. Just looking for the same carry I get with hybrid (about 235) with more height and spin. 

I'm not worried about it being too high because hitting a low draw into the wind is the easiest shot for me. it's the high soft shot into a par 5 from 230 that I'm trying to improve. I spent a whole season last year hitting hot draws into par 5's and watching them tumble over the back of the green

I hope this is at least a little helpful because I'm neither a hybrid player nor a 7 wood convert, but I just demoed the new Rogue ST Max 7 wood (21*) with a Tensei Blue shaft.  I don't have the numbers in front of me, but from what I remember it was spinning north of 5500 and carrying 210-200 for me (driver SS is around 108-110).  I felt like Rory with a 6 iron.

It wasn't what I was looking for, but that combo absolutely did, in my estimation, what it is you're potentially looking for in a 7 wood.  I could carry that club as far as (if not farther) than my (20*) 3 iron, and it was very high launching, high spinning, and soft landing.  They also have a Heavenwood option (20* with a 43" shaft) that might get you a shade more distance with similar flight.

20 hours ago, holmes0412 said:

I've done that more than a few times. Their sales especially get me, which is basically all the time. 

For sure.  I got that Mavrik 4H because I was cruising on CPO and came across it "Like New", which we all know means brand new still in the plastic, for $112.50.  My dad swears by his hybrids and has been telling me how I would like one for a couple of years now.  So at that price I didn't really care how it fit into my bag I just pulled the trigger and bought it.  Pretty much the same story with all the woods/hybrid, good deals, a few beers, just buy it and figure out how they gap later.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 6.0

3W - Callaway Mavrik 15* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Cleveland HB Soft Milled #5

Ball - Vice Pro

9 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I hope this is at least a little helpful because I'm neither a hybrid player nor a 7 wood convert, but I just demoed the new Rogue ST Max 7 wood (21*) with a Tensei Blue shaft.  I don't have the numbers in front of me, but from what I remember it was spinning north of 5500 and carrying 210-200 for me (driver SS is around 108-110).  I felt like Rory with a 6 iron.

It wasn't what I was looking for, but that combo absolutely did, in my estimation, what it is you're potentially looking for in a 7 wood.  I could carry that club as far as (if not farther) than my (20*) 3 iron, and it was very high launching, high spinning, and soft landing.  They also have a Heavenwood option (20* with a 43" shaft) that might get you a shade more distance with similar flight.

Yea I just finished some testing myself. Pretty much what I expected. I get more launch/spin from the 7 wood. It has more loft than my current hybrid but gets a higher peak height and identical carry. Looking forward to having this in the bag. Going to give me more confidence on longer approaches 

I hit 7 wood about 220 on a standard strike and it stops on a dime. From that distance (which I can juice up to 230 or drop down to 210 or lower), I almost always want height and stopping power. It's much less common that I need to hit something low. So 7 wood works great, and it's better out of the rough than a long iron and not left-biased like a hybrid.

But on a windy day, 7 wood is less functional so I swap in a utility iron. 

Titleist TSR3  08.00 – GD Tour AD VF 6

Titleist TSR2+ 14.50 – GD Tour AD VF 7

Titleist TSR2h 18.00 – GD Tour AD DI 8

Titleist TSR2h 21.00 – GD Tour AD DI 9

Titleist T100 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i – TI X100

Titleist SM9 46F 50F 54S 60M – TI S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – Mezz.1 Broomstick

Welp. The 7 wood has arrived. The new era of grampa golf has begun for me. 

Haven't hit it yet but im extremely impressed with the packaging and presentation of the PXG products. I work in the packaging industry and it's safe to say they spend more money on presentation than anyone. Feels very premium for a sub 200 dollar club. Excited to try it out. From the putts I've hit with it on the carpet the sound is similar to my other ping woods. 

• Haha 1

7 wood came in today so I had to try it out. Initial impressions are good. It’s not often an equipment change can make a big difference but this seems to. 

1st shot - here is a sample of a typical hybrid shot for me. This is what I’ve been playing for a year or so now and you can see why I hate it going into greens. 9* of launch

second photo is the first shot I hit with the PXG set to all the way delofted and flat. Higher launch spin carry and peak. And the next few are more examples all from the deck. Only had time to hit a handful of shots but I think it’s a definite improvement. I also compared it to the PING 7 wood - that club definitely peaks higher and spins significantly more. So far this is going what I hoped it would. Excited to put it in play and ditch the hybrid. 

6674A0F6-6F95-48D2-ADF6-4AD7CA52DF1A.jpeg

DD350D14-6538-4A3F-8783-C10F5CFA2F7E.jpeg

292CAE53-F3F1-4762-A855-8C9B5416BE19.jpeg

F2DA9312-D060-4235-A9E7-AE1C30C11B8F.jpeg

• Like 1

I play a Callaway heavenwood, one degree stronger than a 7w. For whatever reason, I just was not comfortable hitting my hybrid of similar loft. Maybe I’m just too old school and couldn’t fit the shape of the hybrid to my eye (even though I’m only 50). For me, the heavenwood, the shape of the head, better suits my eye. 

Just snagged a 7wood TSi2 off the classifieds here, it should arrive later this week. I have a 661 Speeder EVO shaft for it, or an S300.

Every hybrid I have tried got way too "hooky" for me, until I found a really old Adams 21* that I can hit relatively straight. I can get it 235 max off a tee. It wants to fly low, I really struggle to get a nice high, soft flight out of it. 

I play a 16.5* TS2 4 wood that is set to "D2" on the adaptor, giving me my upright lie and a bit stronger loft, essentially making it a slightly weak 3 wood. I can get 250 265 out of that off the tee. Hoping the 7 wood gets me similar yardages as the Adams 3hy...

This afternoon pulled the Mavrik 7w from the bag, 210 out, dropped it 3 foot out.  Birdie.

Yep.

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 6.0

3W - Callaway Mavrik 15* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Cleveland HB Soft Milled #5

Ball - Vice Pro

Just added a new Cobra Speedzone 7W this season. Swapped out my 4I.

My 4I became inconsistent off the ground, causing me to look for something else.

It's early in the season but so far the 7W is proving very versatile off the fairway & out of the rough.

I currently carry  D, 3W, 5W, 2H, & 7W, all with Mitsubishi shafts.

I'm off to a good start, still learning how long I consistently hit the 7W.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:27 AM, shanx said:

Just snagged a 7wood TSi2 off the classifieds here, it should arrive later this week. I have a 661 Speeder EVO shaft for it, or an S300.

Every hybrid I have tried got way too "hooky" for me, until I found a really old Adams 21* that I can hit relatively straight. I can get it 235 max off a tee. It wants to fly low, I really struggle to get a nice high, soft flight out of it. 

I play a 16.5* TS2 4 wood that is set to "D2" on the adaptor, giving me my upright lie and a bit stronger loft, essentially making it a slightly weak 3 wood. I can get 250 265 out of that off the tee. Hoping the 7 wood gets me similar yardages as the Adams 3hy...

Yep. Same thing I experienced with my hybrid. IF you want height - the 7wood does it. First time trying one....it has exceeded my expectations for peak height I will say that

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DSD37 said:

I bought a Tour Edge C721 to toy around with, and it was not my cup of tea. It just plays tricks on my mind to have a clubhead that large at that loft. I had also ordered a RadSpeed 7W to compare against it. But I'm thinking of going with a 21* UW instead now TBH. 

I just got my TSi2 21 degree, I feel the same way, looks odd at address. The hybrid I have seems to hide the loft better.

Still going to try the 7 wood though. I have a TS2 4wood in the bag, its oversized too..

20220512_223442.jpg

Edited by shanx

About 3 years ago I switched to a 4 wood, 7 wood, 5 hybrid set-up.

Currently playing the Taylormade Sim Ti 5 wood lofted down to 17.5 and it is great off the tee, but not as good from the fairway.  Low spin bullets that run forever from the tee.  Driver like launch conditions.

The 7 wood is the easiest club to hit off of the fairway.  Been playing a Tour Edge XCG7.  Plus it is long, I routinely hit it past my playing partner’s 3 woods.

Had a fitting recently and anxiously waiting to receive new Cobra LTDx 15 deg 3 wood lofted up to 16.5 and the LTDx 22.5 deg 7 wood lofted down to 21 both with the Mitsubishi AV Raw White 75g  shaft.  

Tried the LTDx LS 3 wood and it was pretty much identical to the Taylormade SIM Ti.  Low spin bullets.  Great off the tee.  The LTDx 3 wood was giving me 15 yards more carry distance than the Taylormade and was just automatic off the deck.

Also got the new Cobra LTDx LS driver to replace my trusty Ping G410 LST.  Picked up 5 yards of carry, 10 yards total and have a dozen rounds with it so far.  The Cobra is definitely longer on the course and it is more accurate too which is really saying something because the Ping was super accurate for me. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

8 hours ago, shanx said:

I just got my TSi2 21 degree, I feel the same way, looks odd at address. The hybrid I have seems to hide the loft better.

Still going to try the 7 wood though. I have a TS2 4wood in the bag, its oversized too..

20220512_223442.jpg

That's a very good point. My other FW is a Rogue 4W, which is actually 3 cc less than the C721 7W! 

No rain, got out to play today...

TSi2 7wood in the bag.

Old Adam's 20 degree hybrid too.

I hadn't hit the 7wood since it arrived, hit it before my round today.

Its fun to hit, super easy to get the ball up in the air. Its a heavy head, felt great with the Fuji 661 Evolution shaft. 200 to 220 with a smooth swing. Once I saw a nice high draw, or an easy cut shot, I forgot how big the head looked..

I hit both the 7wood and Hybrid on the course. I smoked a 222yd 7wood from a squirrely lie that landed pin high on the fringe. Popped a high fade and cut a corner on a tight par 4, 235.

The Hybrid was used to get me out of trouble off wood chips. Also hit a laser into a wind on a longer par 3 that landed pin high. 

I'm probably going to bag them both for the season, as I can see the benefits of both.

4WD, 7WD, 4 hybrid guy here.

Just added the 7 wood a little over a month ago, probably 5 rounds with it. 7 wood replaced 4 hybrid.

Went Ping G425 for 7 wood.

I gotta say it does everything better. The hybrid has no advantage for me. Not better out of the rough. I do not strike it better even though its longer. Add in it money off the tee (despite the fact it has shallow face , and of course has more distance its all over.  Finally, it is more accurate. My theory there that loft and larger exposure of the face helps me ling up the club better to the target. 

The 3 hybrid was sold on EBAY this weekend.

It is the height and the spin. Basically what everybody else is saying. It unlocks a new distance, longer distance for shots that turn out really well.

I did apply my lesson learned with heavier shafts. I went Ping tour at 75 grams vs stock at 60 grams. Makes a difference with me. Also like these types of clubs at the flat setting.  

I'm torn between a 7w or some sort of 19 degree hybrid. I do like my 19 degree mizuno fli-hi, but I want more height. Play a couple courses with long par 3s always into the wind, hard small greens, protected in front. I tried my old Cobra 7w from 20 years ago and it was OK. Use to be my fairway finder back in HS.