2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

7 wood converts - tell me your experience

Stinger83

I found a used like brand new condition Cobra Radspeed 7 wood with a Hzrdus Smoke blue RDX shaft. I almost didn't buy it because the shaft is a 6.5 flex. I normally hit a stiff shaft but I reasoned I could just put a different shaft in. I went to the range and hit it pretty well. Didn't feel crazy stiff like I expected. I really like the high ball flight and will be a perfect 200 yard club. Can't wait to take it to the course tomorrow. I have a Cobra F8 3 hybrid but I never really know where it's going. 

Like a half dozen rounds now and I really like my 7 wood turned strong 1.5*. It goes very straight, great flight, lands nice. I should have done this years ago.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Recently switched from 3w/5w to 4w and am trying out a 3h and a 7w. For the last month I’ve been trying to decide which one to put in the bag permanently but for the time being it’s based on the wind. The 7w is so easy to hit off the fw and out of the rough but there is one par 3 I need to hit 220 and if it’s windy it just eats it up (haven’t been able to hit the 7w low). Normally in the mornings when it’s calm I grab the 7w and in the afternoon when the wind picks up I grab the 3h.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m intruiged in the 7w conversation as well, although the pxg gen2 19h it would replace is my favorite club in the bag. But I love to tinker. That 3hy has 2 use cases in my bag: progress the ball as far forward on par 5 2nd shots, for which it is doing fine and from of the tee where it is performing insanely good. I hit high, low spin bombs with it getting more distance as out of m, y 3w with significant more accuracy.

I just wonder how a 7w would stack up to that given all the positive feedback I read here. My concern would be the almost 2inch extra shaft length on a 7w as I suspect that shaft length currently has biggest impact on my accuracy. Any experience of people playing their 7w at 41” or less?

Other than that, I wonder what the advantage of a 7w would be for my game. On the course I play, in combination with my length, there literally is no par 5 I can reach in 2. And I’m long enough that I never have to play it on a par 4 nor on a lengthy par 3, I will have max 4hybrid in.

That said, should I want a higher launching, higher spinning 7w or take the benefits of the somewhat knuckley 3hy?

I guess there is only one way to find out😊

Played last Monday with a buddy of mine and we were on this one hole that you have to lay up from the tee box in order to have a good shot to the green so as usual I layed up right where I was suppose to.  The second shot requires some length that is over like a valley and up to a green! Usually I use my 7wd but took it out of the bag to try a 20.5 deg hybrid.  I hit the hybrid really well but was still about 10 yards or so short of the green into the side of the hill.  My buddy says your shott!  The last time you played this hole you used your 7wd and put it right on the green!  

Guess what is back in the bag now!!

On 8/21/2022 at 4:56 AM, Jimi Thing said:

I’m intruiged in the 7w conversation as well, although the pxg gen2 19h it would replace is my favorite club in the bag. But I love to tinker. That 3hy has 2 use cases in my bag: progress the ball as far forward on par 5 2nd shots, for which it is doing fine and from of the tee where it is performing insanely good. I hit high, low spin bombs with it getting more distance as out of m, y 3w with significant more accuracy.

I just wonder how a 7w would stack up to that given all the positive feedback I read here. My concern would be the almost 2inch extra shaft length on a 7w as I suspect that shaft length currently has biggest impact on my accuracy. Any experience of people playing their 7w at 41” or less?

Other than that, I wonder what the advantage of a 7w would be for my game. On the course I play, in combination with my length, there literally is no par 5 I can reach in 2. And I’m long enough that I never have to play it on a par 4 nor on a lengthy par 3, I will have max 4hybrid in.

That said, should I want a higher launching, higher spinning 7w or take the benefits of the somewhat knuckley 3hy?

I'll have to measure the length on my 7 wood and loop back. I bought it as a head, had an old Fuji Speeder sitting around, so I just snagged an adaptor and slapped it together without knowing how long the shaft should be. It might be shorter than normal for that club...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DLiver said:

I've been playing a 7w for a while now. I am still shocked aat how far it goes, given how high the trajectory is. I am still thinking that I skyed it, only to find it traveled the full distance I wanted or more.

I also love the fact that it tends to go L to R rather than full nuke hook lol.

What 7-wood do you have? Mine goes the perfect distance, but the flight is too low for my liking. 

I bought a G425 7 wood and shafted with Ventus Blue 8X, and man - the result has been amazing.

I use it for 1) long par 3s (>200 yds), 2) second shot when my drive is short, 3) par 5 second shot. I try to fade the ball, so the ball stops when it drops.

I honestly feel more comfortable using 7 wood than my long irons. I even birdied 220 yards par 3 with the 7 wood for the first time.

My 3 hybrid is now sold.

• Like 1

I can't believe people are just figuring out how great 7 woods are!!😅😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Any experience of people playing their 7w at 41” or less?

Yes. Is good. 

Cobra F7 set to 22.5* cut down to 41”. (I could play it shorter and often choke up for more control).

Also play a Cobra F7 set to 19.5* also cut down to 41”. 

These clubs play a lot like shallow super high launching hybrids. The shorter shaft makes playing the ball center of the stance or off left heel an option which makes controlling spin and trajectory easier. 

• Thanks 1

Driver 8* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

4 Iron 19.5* F9 One Length KBS Tour 80 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

22* & 25* SIM DHY Tour AD-DI 85 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

Ok, my TSI2 7wood is 42 1/2", so a bit longer than 41". I play my irons +1", so this length still feels manageable for me. I have no problems choking down a little to hit it lower or not carry as far too.

For me, the ability to have the ball "stop and drop" easier makes the 7wood more effective. It doesn't roll out like my hybrid, it just lands softly. I have learned to get a nice high baby draw out of it, I have learned how to control its tendency to hit skyballs. I have also used its tendency to hit skyballs to get over trees, or out of fairway bunkers. 

I get up 215 to 235yds typically. I have hit it much farther downwind though, crosswinds can be fun too!

It's becoming more reliable as I play it more. It's gotten me out of a few jams, it's gotten me good scoring opportunities. I don't hit my 3hy much, might pull it for a third wedge sooner than later..

• Like 3

I did the same thing going to a 7-wood and taking out my inconsistent Big Bertha Hybrid. I used to hate hitting fairway woods because I would take a crazy big swing. For that reason I carried a 4 iron.  Made some swing changes a couple of years back and started hitting fairway woods more consistent. Dumping my 4 iron for the 7 wood. Golf digest recently had a article about more and more pros are using 7 woods! 

As a side note, I purchased the Callaway Big Bertha b21 5 and 7 woods after hitting them on the range. My golf buddy has them so I gave them a try. They are offset and allowed me to hit a consistent  draw just about every time. They get great reviews and rightfully so!

• Like 1

I had a cobra F7 hybrid in bag for a few years and hit it ok at the range.  I started thinking about any good shots I had with it on the course over the years; all I came up with was me hitting it out of bounds when trying to lay up... Not good.

I put a tour edge 7 wood from ebay in the bag just to try something else.  I probably pulled it 5 times the first round and hit 3 good ones.  It felt like 3 more than I ever had with the hybrid.  My only concern right now is that I might have 3 clubs that go the same distance.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

I know there is another forum re: 7 wood, but I think this is more general...

I swing my T100 5i ~ 190yds on a good strike. I took out my 4i and always kept my G425 22* hybrid (slight short of std length). The hybrid goes about 215-225. Next club is my 17.5* turned to 16.5*, also with a butchered shaft. 

I want to stick in another wood, but would a 21* 7 wood be too much longer than my 22* hybrid? I assume it would be given the larger, deeper head on a longer shaft, which then got me thinking if a 24* 9 wood would make more sense..? But then I thought the 9 wood distance might get eaten up when there's a breeze because of how high it'll naturally launch with that spin. 

Welcome everyone's thoughts here! 

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

• 7 months later...
On 8/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, stevechooster said:

I know there is another forum re: 7 wood, but I think this is more general...

I swing my T100 5i ~ 190yds on a good strike. I took out my 4i and always kept my G425 22* hybrid (slight short of std length). The hybrid goes about 215-225. Next club is my 17.5* turned to 16.5*, also with a butchered shaft. 

I want to stick in another wood, but would a 21* 7 wood be too much longer than my 22* hybrid? I assume it would be given the larger, deeper head on a longer shaft, which then got me thinking if a 24* 9 wood would make more sense..? But then I thought the 9 wood distance might get eaten up when there's a breeze because of how high it'll naturally launch with that spin. 

Welcome everyone's thoughts here! 

I have a 21* hybrid and had a 7w. The 21* hybrid plays 1/2" short and the 7w was std but they both traveled the same albeit with different launches. I stuck with my hybrid bc it just gives me more versatility. I have an Tour AD DI 105x and that paired with the shorter shaft makes it relatively anti-left and I'm a big draw player too. 

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

I have had a lot of 7-woods. Ping 425, TM SIM, and lots of Titleists (917, TS, TSi, and now TSr). 

I am not a true convert in that it is a rotational club for me. I go back and forth between a strong 4 iron (22 degrees) and 7w. But 7w is more likely to be in the bag. 

It is the ultimate approach club. Great out of the rough. Easy to launch. Doesn't go left like hybrids. Not great off a tee, and on a windy day I usually exchange it for the 4 iron, but generally a pretty useful and idiot-proof club. 

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

• 3 months later...

I have always preferred the 7wd vs any hybrid.  I just hit fairways better so I have always carried some variation of woods but mostly a 5wd/7wd combo 4wd/7wd combo and even got a hole in one with my 7wd last September.  

Now I have a 3HL and Heavenwood (16.5 deg and 20 deg) setup and like it alot too!

Edited by lil'mike

• 7 months later...

late to the part here but I'll chime in anyway! Got my first 7 wood two years ago (TSi2 with Ventus blue 8S tipped an inch), fantastic club. I used it anywhere from 215-240 as I have those distances a lot on my golf course. Long story short, it's a par 5 monster. Great out of the rough, fairway, fairway bunker and even hitting those collar putts around the green. It's securely filled that gap in my bag as I struggled to find a hybrid or driving iron I got along with. Loving my new 7 wood even more at .5" shorter with the TR Red 8X. Such a fun club to hit and would recommend to anyone.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 16.5 - Ventus TR Red 7X

Titleist TSR2 21 - Ventus TR Red 8X

Miura TC201 4-PW - DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 Black 50F - DG Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 Black 54S - DG Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 Black 58M - DG Tour Issue S400

Piretti Potenza II Black Onyx

I tried a Paradym from CPO, but the shaft wasn’t right for me and things didn’t go well. 
As a senior golfer I really needed something that elevates in that spot. The 3H was great off a tee, but it was nothing but low screamers off the deck.

The Stealth with Ventus Red has been much better, and combining it with a matching 3HL solved my FW dilemma very nicely.
I keep a 4H in the bag for times when the wind is blowing hard in my face, which happens a lot down here playing so close (or right off) to the ocean, so I really like my setup right now.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

A really positive experience here. I won't be moving away from a 4W/7W set-up for a long time that's for sure. A 7W is like hitting a pitching wedge 210 yards!

I had a fun experience when waiting for new irons to arrive. I had sold my previous set and so was iron less. No problem, I only had one round to get through (non-competition) before my new clubs would arrive. So I played a bag of woods and wedges. I think my set-up for the day was Driver, 4 Wood, 7 Wood, 54 degree wedge, 58 degree wedge and putter. Ridiculous.

As you can imagine the 7 wood was used a lot for approach shots that day! I don't think I hit driver too much in order to leave longer yardages to the green. I must have hit 7 woods ranging from 140 yards to 210 that day. I couldn't believe how easy it was to choke down, hit 3/4 swings etc. Rather hilariously, and not the best endorsement for my iron play, I hit my best greens in reg figures that month on that day!

So, a 7W is a very versatile tool in my opinion. It's still my preference to take irons out with me though given the choice.

I still struggle with where a 7-wood comes in distance wise between a 5W and 4h....and if the ball flight is conducive to playing in Texas where half the days it's blowing over 20 mph...

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack'