2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

7 wood converts - tell me your experience

Stinger83

So I want to hear wins and losses from guys who have switched from hybrid to 7 wood. Specifically higher swing speed guys. I'm in the 115 driver ss range. I just ordered a custom PXG proto 7 wood with Tensei white 75x - Hopefully I'll have it here in a week or two. 

My problem is very similar to what Matty from TXG discussed in his 7 wood fitting video. His hybrid is just too low and knuckley to be of use into a green. I'm not looking for more forgiveness or anything - I'm just slightly shocked at how low my 19 hybrid is coming out. I compress and draw the ball habitually so I tend to like something with spin and height On windy days it's great but it's not what I want from a hybrid. I want a club that elevates the ball. I can knock down a shot no problem. It's hitting a high soft fade that I want help with. So naturally I would ASSUME a 7 wood would help - just want to see if anyone's had a similar experience and how it worked. 

• Like 1

I moved from a 20* hybrid to a 21* Sim Max 7-wood and the results were startling.  With no loss of distance, the ball flies higher, 7-8 yards farther and with more spin.  Dispersion control is equally as good.  I have no regrets and unlike many hybrids, the surprise "look out left" shot is gone.

• Like 4

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

5 minutes ago, Stinger83 said:

Yea if the PXG doesn't work out I may look at the UW.  I just prefer an adjustable neck design. I like to open the face 

If you order through Callaway they will adjust up to 2* on the club IIRC.

The 7w thing with stronger players is relatively newly back in fashion so 90% of 7W heads out there are meant to be high spin for high handicaps. Most are 'max' heads and etc with larger footprints and no real adjustability to drop spin.

I actually had my eye on the PXG Proto 7W as well since you can adjust the hosel and also the weighting to a front weight - until the Callaway Mavrik SZ TC 7w heads popped up that I posted about in the deals forum.

If the PXG doesnt work out for you, this is also a very cheap 7W option with adjustable hosel and weighting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334163571670?hash=item4dcdb373d6:g:5mYAAOSwb6NiDpiY  the Honma TR21

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 minute ago, third-times-a-charm said:

If you order through Callaway they will adjust up to 2* on the club IIRC.

The 7w thing with stronger players is relatively newly back in fashion so 90% of 7W heads out there are meant to be high spin for high handicaps. Most are 'max' heads and etc with larger footprints and no real adjustability to drop spin.

I actually had my eye on the PXG Proto 7W as well since you can adjust the hosel and also the weighting to a front weight - until the Callaway Mavrik SZ TC 7w heads popped up that I posted about in the deals forum.

If the PXG doesnt work out for you, this is also a very cheap 7W option with adjustable hosel and weighting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334163571670?hash=item4dcdb373d6:g:5mYAAOSwb6NiDpiY  the Honma TR21

Yep I agree most of them seem to spin way more than their related 3 woods. Hitting a PING 7 wood is about as hard as hitting an 8 iron - Its just goes a little too far in launch and spin for me. 

Thats the hardest part about fitting the top of the bag. You always need that middle area so it's versatile

I was actually thinking about starting a similar topic, I went in for a long game fitting and one of the clubs I wanted to look at was a new TSi2 7 wood I've been tinkering with. I ordered it from Titleist with a no upcharge Smoke RDX and it just doesn't seem to allow me to control the launch. I can hit it to the moon but it's almost too much. I wanted to look at a new shaft and he told me in my case it wasn't worth it, as I'm slightly steep (2-3 degrees down). Basically he told me it would launch and spin way too much, so we adjusted my hybrid some to see if I can get it to cooperate and I have a T200 3 iron that I'm having re-shafted.

I just don't know that I agree with the assessment, maybe I just really want to make it work. 116-118 SS here. My hybrid can get a touch kuckle-y, but it seems better after the adjustment (flatter lie). 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I was actually thinking about starting a similar topic, I went in for a long game fitting and one of the clubs I wanted to look at was a new TSi2 7 wood I've been tinkering with. I ordered it from Titleist with a no upcharge Smoke RDX and it just doesn't seem to allow me to control the launch. I can hit it to the moon but it's almost too much. I wanted to look at a new shaft and he told me in my case it wasn't worth it, as I'm slightly steep (2-3 degrees down). Basically he told me it would launch and spin way too much, so we adjusted my hybrid some to see if I can get it to cooperate and I have a T200 3 iron that I'm having re-shafted.

I just don't know that I agree with the assessment, maybe I just really want to make it work. 116-118 SS here. My hybrid can get a touch kuckle-y, but it seems better after the adjustment (flatter lie). 

You'd probably be a much better fit for the TSI3. Unfortunately, it doesn't come retail in anything above 18*. 

I currently solve this with a TS2 hybrid that launches a bit more like an FW than most better players' hybrids, but I'm definitely 7-wood curious

Edited by eagle2838

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

I am a high swing speed guy,  everything I play is and x stiff staff or more. I hit my driver about 280-300 weather and wind depending of course. I live in the upper midwest so those numbers are june- august weather 

I like a 7 wood better than a hybrid when I can get a really stiff shaft with one. I tend to hit the 7 wood higher and straighter and is slightly better distance for me and can hit more shots with it. I hit the 7 wood about 225-230 stock but I can play it longer than that if using off the tee or dial it down to 200 if I need to. My hybrid is not as versatile, It kinda does what it wants to do. The slightly longer shaft gives me more height than the hybrid, the 3 hybrid I use sometimes comes out a little hotter and don't hold the green where the 7 wood comes in like an 8 iron. . What I have done is too start to put higher lofts on my fairway metals. I play a M5 3 wood that I dialed up to 16.5 degrees, I tend to get a little more carry doing that and actually hit it farther that way, and a 21 degree 7 wood. Trying to get my hands on an Epic flash, but right now am using an older Callaway bore through.

if that helps

Edited by Wham49

8 minutes ago, eagle2838 said:

You'd probably be a much better fit for the TSI3. Unfortunately, it doesn't come retail in anything above 18*. 

I currently solve this with a TS2 hybrid that launches a bit more like an FW and most better players' hybrids, but I'm definitely 7-wood curious

I much prefer the look of the TSi3, but that's why I had to go with the TSi2. I was thinking something really heavy to try and bring the flight under control, like the 85 version of my 3 wood shaft or a Ventus Blue 8 or 9X. I've seen some playing the red in it but I think I'm too high spin for that. I was just curious if what the fitter said was valid. 

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

I opted for a UW over a 7 wood cranked open.  Playing in Oklahoma, the 7 wood just launched too high and with too much spin, which is perfect if you're playing in dome conditions, but on course in gusty conditions, I really struggled dialing the yardage in.

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

34 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I have the TSi1 9w with the Smoke RDX, and I find it fairly easy to flight down with a knockdown swing or covering it with my right shoulder hard. But my swing speed is nowhere near yours.

• Like 1

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I switched from 3W + 5W to 4W + 7W eleven seasons ago.

As for hybrids: Pre-2019, I had four seasons when I had both a Tour Edge XRail 7W and a Cobra FlyZ 3H. The two had about the same distance, but different characteristics. Most of the year I used the 7W: blew the ball out of medium rough like a rocket, good for not running out too far on longish par 3 holes, and great on longer approaches.

1 hour ago, Stinger83 said:

I'm just slightly shocked at how low my 19 hybrid is coming out.

The 3H struggled to come out of plush summer rough, but was good in thinner cool weather rough and launched lower into strong winds.

Redid my bag to current mix during COVID. Dropped the 3H, as with "new" BB Osize 4H I can tease out a stinger when needed.

Also, note that quite a few pro tour players have added 7Ws either selectively or full time.

As Scott Stallings said in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Not a 7 wood, but my 5 wood is a mizzy stz w/ rdx black 6.5 that fits a similar bill 

It's my 250 club, and it has a 61⁰ landing angle.  I can hold anything with it, and it's common to actually have it rip back a bit.

Ball speeds are ~170, launch is ~15, but the spin is ~4500.

If you want a soft landing fairway wood, it's gotta be very inefficient.  You need to consider that inefficiency in your gapping.  Not every club should be a bomber.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

As Scott Stallings said in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

This is what intrigues me, but my current setup just doesn't seem to allow for that. It's just high. 

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

I’m like 100 to 105 SS driver and I got a tsi2 that I open up and added an 80 g stiff shaft to it. Still get the height I’m looking for without the left miss which I was more prone to with a lighter shaft. You may want to try a heavier shaft. I was looking up tour pro set ups for 7 woods and I feel like tmost use shafts 10 g heaver than their 3/4 wood which is what I did and worked out better.

• Thanks 1

Mavrik (not max) 7w here. Spin is solid and it only balloons when I give it a pour swing and present too much dynamic loft. 

Still getting used to really going after it (low 100's mph for 7w swing) but the upside over my previous (and liked) Mavrik Pro 3H has it still in my bag: shaggy rough and such I like the 7w on par 5s should the 4w not be an option 🙂

I swing my driver around 112 on trackman and use high lofted woods because deloft them pretty bad (10.5*/15.75*/21*). I use the TS2 21* and it's been awesome, just a insanely easy club to hit. The only thing I'm not the biggest fan of is it'll sometimes spin up a bit too much, but if I keep the strike lower on the face it'll just fly.

Titleist TSR2 11° - Tour AD UB 7x

Titleist TSR2 16.5° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist TSR2 21° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist T200 4 iron - Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T150 5 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 CB 6 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 MB 7 - P - Modus 130x

Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58LBK - Modus 125x

Ping PLD Custom Anser 30

Not a 7, and a little slower than you, but I recently switched from a 3i to a 5w and I'm in love.  I stuck a 220yd approach this week, less than 15ft of rollout probably.  Downside- I do not have the ability, because I'm not great at golf, to flight down a wood like I can a 3i, but I'll take the chance at a long range GIR over being able to hit a low runner.

Interesting.  I also carry the Mavrik 7W but with a Mavrik Pro 4H.  I use a 3W, 7W, 4H combo most often as the setup just fits into types of shots I end up with on my home course.  Honestly though, the 4H has ended up being a sort of utility/punchout club thus far.  Something I pull when I need to go under trees and hit about a 150 yard shot that goes 5 ft off the ground and then runs forever. 

The entire Mavrik woods/hybrids line is dirt cheap on CPO.  I went on a binge and also have the 4W and 5W.  Drinking beer on a Saturday night, watching a game with a buddy, and surfing on CPO is a sure fire way to end up with clubs on your doorstep in a few days.  Not sure I needed them, I just wanted them...

• Haha 3

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Vice Pro or Wilson Staff Zip

11 minutes ago, Augie53 said:

Interesting.  I also carry the Mavrik 7W but with a Mavrik Pro 4H.  I use a 3W, 7W, 4H combo most often as the setup just fits into types of shots I end up with on my home course.  Honestly though, the 4H has ended up being a sort of utility/punchout club thus far.  Something I pull when I need to go under trees and hit about a 150 yard shot that goes 5 ft off the ground and then runs forever. 

The entire Mavrik woods/hybrids line is dirt cheap on CPO.  I went on a binge and also have the 4W and 5W.  Drinking beer on a Saturday night, watching a game with a buddy, and surfing on CPO is a sure fire way to end up with clubs on your doorstep in a few days.  Not sure I needed them, I just wanted them...

I've done that more than a few times. Their sales especially get me, which is basically all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

made the move 2 years ago. One of the best golf club choices I have made. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 hours ago, Bdck said:

Not a 7 wood, but my 5 wood is a mizzy stz w/ rdx black 6.5 that fits a similar bill 

It's my 250 club, and it has a 61⁰ landing angle.  I can hold anything with it, and it's common to actually have it rip back a bit.

Ball speeds are ~170, launch is ~15, but the spin is ~4500.

If you want a soft landing fairway wood, it's gotta be very inefficient.  You need to consider that inefficiency in your gapping.  Not every club should be a bomber.

Yea I don't want it to be a bomber. Just looking for the same carry I get with hybrid (about 235) with more height and spin. 

I'm not worried about it being too high because hitting a low draw into the wind is the easiest shot for me. it's the high soft shot into a par 5 from 230 that I'm trying to improve. I spent a whole season last year hitting hot draws into par 5's and watching them tumble over the back of the green