2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

7 wood converts - tell me your experience

Stinger83

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Switched to a g425 7wd 3 years ago from a 19* hybrid. Hands down the best equipment decision I’ve ever. It’s the best club in my bag and I call it my scoring wood. Simply put I can hit shots with my 7wd that were not in my arsenal before. I can float it into a green and stop it quickly, trap it a little and hit a low draw into a left flag, and dig it out the worst lies in the rough. It took a yardage that was the weakest in my game and made it one of the best.

I love mine. So much so I got the 9 wood as well. They are now my go to from 190 and 170. I know that does not seem far but at 61 I find I can swing these with ease and they rocket off the face very straight. They seem to be just the right length/lie as well. I am so confident with them I look for reasons to use them lol. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TNwanabe said:

I love mine. So much so I got the 9 wood as well. They are now my go to from 190 and 170. I know that does not seem far but at 61 I find I can swing these with ease and they rocket off the face very straight. They seem to be just the right length/lie as well. I am so confident with them I look for reasons to use them lol. 

This game measures how many strokes, not how far they go. Even tour players have them in the bag. I still like my 4H but if that changes I won’t hesitate to add a 9wd.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I have been playing one for a few years or so now in some kind of combo setup like 4wd/7wd, 5wd7wd, now it is 3HL/7wd or Heavenwood.  I even had a hole in one in Sept 2022 with my G425 7wd on a 170yd hole.

Nice easy swing gets me 170 range but I can put more into it and get as much as 185 ish.  Nice higher ball flight which will always hold the green.

• Like 3

TSR2 7 wood here, as said before me I'll never carry another 3/4 iron or hybrid, it is better out of the rough and I can hit it higher and land softer on firm conditions. I also find it to be great off of the tee on short par 4's and long par 3's. I have no reason at any course I play to even carry a 3 or 4 wood these days as it is basically just the "14th club" in my bag and never used. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11 w/ 2024 Fujikura Ventus + Blue 6 

TaylorMade Qi10 16.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist TSR2 7 wood 21 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8 

PXG 0311X 18 w/ Graphite Design DI 95

PXG Gen 6 DC P's 5-GW w/ Fujikura Axiom 105

PXG SD2 56/60 Raw w/ LA Golf WV 115

Scotty Cameron 009 

Titleist ProV1X

Vessel Player IV

I finally experimented with a 7w a few months ago for the first time since HS 25 years ago.  I always preferred fairway woods in terms of them being easy to hit and forgiving.  When I first started golfing I had 3w, 5w, 7w super concordes in my bag and no driver because shallow faced fairway woods were the best clubs in my bag.

Most recently ended up going with a low launch/spin shaft on my aerojet 7w to prevent it from totally ballooning.  Works perfect in terms of the desired launch angle and stopping power I'm looking for.  Might cut the shaft down an inch as it does go about 7-10 yards farther than I want it to compared to my 5i but I'm still experimenting with taking 90% swings instead as I do feel really confident manipulating the ball and shot type with the 7w.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started thinking about trying a 7wood and then had a chance to hit one my playing partner had in his borrowed set on a resort course down south.

I was immediately hooked.  Easy to elevate, easy to hit straight, goes a long way and sits down on the green.  For me this is a great replacement for a long hybrid which I either hit left or watch roll into trouble.

ordered a Ping 425 head that should be waiting for me as soon as I’m home to deploy on my home course in the next week or so when it opens. 

• Like 1

Probably repeating a number of things others have said, but the 7W has become my favorite club in the bag.  Its almost effortless (in fact, if I try to muscle it, things go awry pretty quickly).  Heck, if I wasn't vain, I'd may even explore a 9W 😄

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

On 4/28/2022 at 11:14 AM, Stinger83 said:

So I want to hear wins and losses from guys who have switched from hybrid to 7 wood. Specifically higher swing speed guys. I'm in the 115 driver ss range. I just ordered a custom PXG proto 7 wood with Tensei white 75x - Hopefully I'll have it here in a week or two. 

My problem is very similar to what Matty from TXG discussed in his 7 wood fitting video. His hybrid is just too low and knuckley to be of use into a green. I'm not looking for more forgiveness or anything - I'm just slightly shocked at how low my 19 hybrid is coming out. I compress and draw the ball habitually so I tend to like something with spin and height On windy days it's great but it's not what I want from a hybrid. I want a club that elevates the ball. I can knock down a shot no problem. It's hitting a high soft fade that I want help with. So naturally I would ASSUME a 7 wood would help - just want to see if anyone's had a similar experience and how it worked. 

I switched to an Exotics CB2 7WD in 2008 for the very reason you mention. At the time I was a +3 or 4 and was having issues getting elevation on my 4-iron (205-215 carry slot). A hybrid was a no-go and I'd had so much success with the CB2 3 & 5 woods I thought I'd give it a try. Shafted with a Whiteboard 83x it stayed in my bag until I replaced it with the TSi2 a couple years ago. The 7WD has been a game changer for me and obviously for quite a while. Just wish I'd have found one sooner.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 4

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

As a younger guy I never had a 7 wood. Or 5 wood for that matter.

But I no longer have the swing speed to make a 3-4 iron very useful.

Today I actually look forward to using the 7 wood.

And I find it creates a better outcome on average for a wider range of lies.

Getting out of deep stuff, getting over trees, or even punching out, it's nice to have a lot more club behind the ball than a long iron.

• Like 2

an issue that a lot are saying is 7 wood are ballon on a windy day, so my simple solution to that is 7 wood on not that windy days. When its too windy I use Apex UW.

• Like 2

AI Smoke Max 10.5* w/ Blue Velocore+ 5R

AI Smoke Max 16.5* w/ Red TR Velore 6S

AI Smoke Max 21* w/ Velocore+ 7S | Apex UW 19* w/ Velore+ 7S when too windy

Ping G430 22 & 26 deg, Venus Blue HB 7S
MP 245 6-GW, Recoil 95S
Mizuno T24 54.10S 58.10V, DG S400

SC Phantom T-12 Tour Prototype

Pro V1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:47 AM, ChrisATL said:

Probably repeating a number of things others have said, but the 7W has become my favorite club in the bag.  Its almost effortless (in fact, if I try to muscle it, things go awry pretty quickly).  Heck, if I wasn't vain, I'd may even explore a 9W 😄

Exact same here!! If I try to muscle it, I hit thin worm burners. Swing easy and it's pured from the middle with a great trajectory.

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

On 4/21/2024 at 5:47 PM, ChrisATL said:

I did this and I'll never go back to low irons.  The gapping is a little tight between 7 and 9, but I shafted them both different; one is a little draw biased and the other a little fade biased.  Vanity be damned, I'm playing better golf.  😉

• Like 1

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Brnr MINI Driver | VA Nemesys 65 R
Fairway metals: :callaway-small: Rogue St Max 5 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R, Rogue St Max 7 wood | Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60 R, Rogue St Max 9 wood | VA Nemesys 65 R
Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 5-7, P770 8-P matched | True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS +.5, 1 degree up
Wedges: 1240867525_default_vokey-small1.gif.fd86a2e0ab83b468ba0f432d800e9cee.gif SM8 54 S10, SM 8 58 S10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold, SM9 48 F10 | True Temper Dynamic Gold
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 34" stock shaft

20 hours ago, robin_w said:

an issue that a lot are saying is 7 wood are ballon on a windy day, so my simple solution to that is 7 wood on not that windy days. When its too windy I use Apex UW.

I find that I can play my 7w in all but the windiest situations by making adjustments to flight it down while still being easier to hit than my 4h or 4i.  Normal breezy day here is 15-25 mph winds.  If it got up 20-30 mph, with gusts to 40 mph...I'd probably take the 7w out of the bag and go with a 4h or 4i, knowing I'm going to have to flight those clubs down as well.

I went to a 4 wood , 7 wood setup a year ago and haven’t looked back since. I went TSR2 in both paired with the HZRDUS Black Gen 4. In the 7wood it knocks it down enough for me to be able to play even in the wind if needed. Found myself needing about 255 carry out of a 4 wood and 235 out of my 7 wood. Seem to get these distance several times a round. 

I also added a 4H TSR2 and dropped my 4-5 iron. Put a HZRDUS Black 90 HY in it and its point and shoot and fills the gap between my 6 iron and 7 wood perfectly. 

I have a very strange bag setup this season so we will see how it goes.

Driver, 4 wood, 7 wood, 4H, 6-PW, 50/54/58/62 see how it goes but from the two rounds I have played this year it’s working so far well. 

• Like 2

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

3 hours ago, LBB said:

I find that I can play my 7w in all but the windiest situations by making adjustments to flight it down while still being easier to hit than my 4h or 4i.  Normal breezy day here is 15-25 mph winds.  If it got up 20-30 mph, with gusts to 40 mph...I'd probably take the 7w out of the bag and go with a 4h or 4i, knowing I'm going to have to flight those clubs down as well.

even as a mid handicap I still find 7w and 4h are both relatively easier to hit, I'm not sure which one is easier or whatever, so maybe just more of a difference of trajectory.

AI Smoke Max 10.5* w/ Blue Velocore+ 5R

AI Smoke Max 16.5* w/ Red TR Velore 6S

AI Smoke Max 21* w/ Velocore+ 7S | Apex UW 19* w/ Velore+ 7S when too windy

Ping G430 22 & 26 deg, Venus Blue HB 7S
MP 245 6-GW, Recoil 95S
Mizuno T24 54.10S 58.10V, DG S400

SC Phantom T-12 Tour Prototype

Pro V1

I do still go back and forth between my #3 hybrid and 7 wood. I actually hit my hybrid a little further than the 7 wood. I think the 7 wood gets a little spinney on me at times. I carry both because it all depends on the day.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Still love my uw although idk if maybe my shaft is a little loose (mmt 80s). I hit it way better than my 4w that has a Tensei blue in. Actually has me thinking if I should get an mmt 70s/x to put into my 4w instead. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

15 hours ago, robin_w said:

even as a mid handicap I still find 7w and 4h are both relatively easier to hit, I'm not sure which one is easier or whatever, so maybe just more of a difference of trajectory.

For me personally, I feel the 7w is slightly easier to hit, and I also generally hit all my fairway woods well which likely plays a big role in my personal preference.  But yes, whether I choose to bag a 7w or 4h is largely based on trajectory I'm looking for on a given day.  95% of the time I will prefer the higher trajectory as my default shot, and make adjustments to knock it down some if I have to.  I'm much more confident in knocking a shot down than trying to get a given club to launch higher than it normally would on a stock shot.

Got my 7 wood today, ai smoke max, Ventus blue 6s non velecore.  This thing launches now, seems pretty simple to hit, seems to be about the same distance as my 4 hybrid (210 or so) but that’s still a little longer than the 4 iron. I was hoping to get a little more, but I was hitting balls at work with jeans and boots on so maybe on the course will get an extra 5.  

going straight in the bag for a scramble and the Thursday night league.  So it’ll get tested early but initial thoughts are I’m going to like it.

• Like 1