Odyssey 7 Bird

ShortSticks

It’s a great design that gets no credit (so far). 

Head is a lot more stable than a normal 7. Lines up great. Sits well behind the ball. The square cutout acts almost like a 2ball does for lining it up. Double bend face balanced is typically not my favorite but this just swings back and forth so easy. 

It’s looks are definitely an acquired taste but I’ve grown to love it. For me, it beat out my Scotty x7 and x7.5 this year pretty easily. 

• 10 months later...

I had one for a short amount of time but just couldn’t get over how it sat at address. Granted it was super stable but for some reason it just wanted to sit closed. I will say it was probably a one off and it is the best deal on CPO for a solid putter 

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Solid choice for the price. Wish Odyssey had a replica of the Jailbird o works head but with the white hot insert. I think the Bird is the closest you’ll get to it size wise currently 

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

11 hours ago, agood3putt said:

Solid choice for the price. Wish Odyssey had a replica of the Jailbird o works head but with the white hot insert. I think the Bird is the closest you’ll get to it size wise currently 

Funny you say that.. I've been on the hunt for a Black Jailbird Mini DB but no luck for a clean one. So, figured this one will suffice for some testing. 

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

Funny you that that.. I've been on the hunt for a Black Jailbird Mini DB but no luck for a clean one. So, figured this one will suffice for some testing. 

I think you’ll like it 

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Update: The 7 Bird came in today. I was able to roll a ton of putts in the basement on my 8ft Green Moss. Definitely liking the way it sets up and it's super stable through the stroke. I'm hoping to get outside soon on real greens for some testing. Courses just opened here in MI but it's been wet. Long time blade user here.. Oh boy.

• 2 months later...

With all the buzz around the Versa Jailbird recently, I wonder if the 7 Bird will get some more attention given its closeish resemblance to the versa Jb. Anyone play one with a longer shaft and some extra weight in the grip? At ~$100 from callaway pre owned might be a steal. 

• Like 3

Cobra LTDx driver, 9 - PX RDX Smoke Black 60 6.5/x

Cobra LTDx 3 wood, 15 - PX RDX Smoke Black 70 6.5/x

Cobra LTDx 5 wood, 18.5 - PX RDX Smoke Black 80 6.5/x

Titleist TS2 hybrid, 21 -  PX EvenFlow White 100 6.5/x

New Level PF-2, 5-PW - DG S300

Mizuno S18, 50/7 - DG TI S400

Mizuno T20, 54/8 - DG TI S400

Mizuno T20, 60/6 - DG TI S400

TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

On 6/26/2023 at 8:22 PM, Eazy Mac said:

With all the buzz around the Versa Jailbird recently, I wonder if the 7 Bird will get some more attention given its closeish resemblance to the versa Jb. Anyone play one with a longer shaft and some extra weight in the grip? At ~$100 from callaway pre owned might be a steal. 

I just ordered a #7 Bird as it was on sale at a good price (150 with the stroke lab shaft).

I wanted this putter since I tested it and found it was the most stable head I have ever try (+ The White Hot insert is a dream)

I was reluctant because of its look (btw I think the Jailbird is even more ugly)

Gonna put a white superstroke grip and then i'm pretty sure it will be a weapon.

The other similar putter I liked was the Cleveland Frontline ISO (available in Slant neck also, which is great). 

I also tryed it and had a similar feedback of extreme stability (a bit less than the #7 Bird tho)

Edited by AverageFrenchGolfer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a small update, this putter is fantastic. 

So stable, so well balanced. 

It's almost impossible to miss a short putt with it.

And the distance control is fantastic with the White Hot Insert (much better than the "Pure Roll" on my Spider X), it's soft and delivers a true pure roll. 

I think the "single bend only" is definitly not a problem (and I have a good arc), because of how stable that freaking thing is. 

No wonder the Jailbird is winning on tour (never tryed it, but I can assume it's the exact same sensation)

• Like 2

I’m truly enjoying my SL 7 Bird and had a great first round on the greens yesterday. I actually prefer a heavier head so I swapped out the stock 15g weights for 25g and the head feels even more stable than ever. Distance control was still very good for me with the heavier weights. 

Im not typically a face balanced putter but this thing just works for me. Hoping it’s not just a honeymoon phase and I can keep rolling it well. 

• Like 1

I recently picked up a 7 Bird and extended it to 38, added weight and a longer grip and made my own Fowler Jailbird copy.  I love it to be honest, super stable really easy to line up.  I have one of the Fowler Jailbirds on pre-order but I honestly might just keep the 7 Bird instead.

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw White  70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

On 7/30/2023 at 5:57 AM, aypeeone said:

I’m truly enjoying my SL 7 Bird and had a great first round on the greens yesterday. I actually prefer a heavier head so I swapped out the stock 15g weights for 25g and the head feels even more stable than ever. Distance control was still very good for me with the heavier weights. 

Im not typically a face balanced putter but this thing just works for me. Hoping it’s not just a honeymoon phase and I can keep rolling it well. 

So my understanding is all 7 bird are 350g head?  Mine had 10g (35”) weight but I put 30g weights making it 390g head?

Edited by golf4Jx

Steel shafted 7 Bird were 355G. Stroke Lab shafted were 365G. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 1:21 AM, agood3putt said:

I had one for a short amount of time but just couldn’t get over how it sat at address. Granted it was super stable but for some reason it just wanted to sit closed. I will say it was probably a one off and it is the best deal on CPO for a solid putter 

I recently got the Bird and it sits square for me, it’s quite common for loft/lies/etc. to get thrown out of whack at some point during transportation, storage, etc. I was at PGATSS recently and one of their Ping DS72’s was so thrown out of whack - meanwhile they had another one that sat perfectly square

I’m surprised by the lack of popularity considering all the recent hype for the Jailbird and how similar they are in shape/size. I own a few white hots and this feels no different. I’m obviously biased, as I just purchased one, but I personally prefer the alignment aids, and clean finish, of the 7Bird over the Jailbird

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

• 2 weeks later...

I love this putter.  

I keep coming back to this at GG and rolling it. 

I have a Ping Harwood and Ketsch I may trade in for it.  I’ve only hit the stroke lab.  Never used that before.  Better than the steel?

Edited by Minarets
  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

14 hours ago, Minarets said:

I love this putter.  

I keep coming back to this at GG and rolling it. 

I have a Ping Harwood and Ketsch I may trade in for it.  I’ve only hit the stroke lab.  Never used that before.  Better than the steel?

SL vs Steel is ultimately personal preference, just slightly different feel/weighting. A ton of Odyssey guys use SL on Tour, so it’s definitely “validated”

I have a 33” 7Bird SL and i love it. I swapped in heavier weights to bump the head-weight to 375g which improved feel and got it to a more typical swing-weight (365g head is stock for SL version and 355g is stock for steel version - just fyi)

• Like 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

19 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

SL vs Steel is ultimately personal preference, just slightly different feel/weighting. A ton of Odyssey guys use SL on Tour, so it’s definitely “validated”

I have a 33” 7Bird SL and i love it. I swapped in heavier weights to bump the head-weight to 375g which improved feel and got it to a more typical swing-weight (365g head is stock for SL version and 355g is stock for steel version - just fyi)

I haven’t even bought one yet but just sold some stuff to do so.  I see they have the 15g weights.  Where did you get the 25g? I’d like to experiment when I get it.  Is it a torx?

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

I haven’t even bought one yet but just sold some stuff to do so.  I see they have the 15g weights.  Where did you get the 25g? I’d like to experiment when I get it.  Is it a torx?

15g is stock for SL (365g), 20g will get you to 375g and 25g to 385g

I got the 20g’s but you can buy heavier through places like golfworks and ebay and they’ll be just fine. A normal torque wrench works

• Thanks 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

7 hours ago, mjo23 said:

I got the 20g’s but you can buy heavier through places like golfworks and ebay and they’ll be just fine. A normal torque wrench works

I’m buying one tomorrow.  Trading in my Ping Harwood.  I love that putter from 10’ and in but long lags and slow greens I can’t get it to the hole.  

sold my Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch today to a buddy.  

im getting a 34” 7 Bird but need a new grip. Not sure how this doesn’t get more love.  I do love my LAB DF2.1.  Nothing is as stable.  The Harwood felt really stable but the 7 Bird just feels rock solid.  

Got it.  Now for a grip and weights. 

On 9/15/2023 at 1:45 PM, mjo23 said:

How big a difference does it feel from the 15g to 20g? 

10 minutes ago, Minarets said:

How big a difference does it feel from the 15g to 20g? 

Well I play 33", so I could naturally use a slightly heavier head, but it makes a big difference imo - particularly with the SL shaft. SL shafts have a 30g counter-weight in the butt-end, so the head can feel light to some people at lengths less than 35" 

This is the thing that people often overlook with SL putters - it can take some tweaking of the head-weight and/or grip weight to find the right feel. But once you do find the right weighting/feel, it's great. The stock grips weighs about 77grams btw. I have a 70g grip installed. Had I installed a heavier grip in the 85g-90g range instead, I probably would've went with 25g weights for a 385g head. But 375g feels great with the 70g grip

• Like 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

5 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

Well I play 33", so I could naturally use a slightly heavier head, but it makes a big difference imo - particularly with the SL shaft. SL shafts have a 30g counter-weight in the butt-end, so the head can feel light to some people at lengths less than 35" 

This is the thing that people often overlook with SL putters - it can take some tweaking of the head-weight and/or grip weight to find the right feel. But once you do find the right weighting/feel, it's great. The stock grips weighs about 77grams btw. I have a 70g grip installed. Had I installed a heavier grip in the 85g-90g range instead, I probably would've went with 25g weights for a 385g head. But 375g feels great with the 70g grip

Thanks for the info. I was going back-and-forth between the steel shaft and the stroke lab shaft in store. The stroke Lab definitely feels lighter. I’ll probably try the 20 g weights first.  All the reviews of the weights say the metal is pretty soft and not to torque them too much.

51 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Thanks for the info. I was going back-and-forth between the steel shaft and the stroke lab shaft in store. The stroke Lab definitely feels lighter. I’ll probably try the 20 g weights first.  All the reviews of the weights say the metal is pretty soft and not to torque them too much.

Stock weights for the steel shaft version is 10g (355g head) btw

And the weights are very simple to remove/install, you’ll feel it, not much torque required. The wrench shouldn’t click like it would with a driver/wood adapter - just gently twist until they’re snug

• Thanks 1

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X