2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Letting a group play through

23 hours ago, Wham49 said:

exactly, people seem to think it is not manly to let groups through. It just makes it more enjoyable for  everybody. I heard the comment last year which I think sums up the people who do not understand the letting groups through thing is, "I payed my money just like you, this is my tee time, your after me." this makes no sense. so we argued on the 10 tee box,  we waited till then becasue they were not letting or even acknowledged us behind them even though we were waiting for 10 minutes to hit on almost every shot. . I just said we are going through that's the end of the story and we went as they were yelling at us as we teed off. we went off and finished at least an hour before them.

some days I go through, and when I play with my dads groups we let groups through. just on Sunday I was playing with them as a 4 some, we let 3 groups go through, and finished in 3.5. yesterday I played by myself walking and went through about 6 groups and played in 2 hours. 

who is anybody to decide how long somebody has to take to play golf, you play as long as you want, I will do the same, if it makes sense to let somebody through. I do it

I have to say that a single playing through 6 groups is poor form.   I would for sure let you through, but your expectations of making 20+ other people pause or wait while you take ownership of the whole course stinks.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:45 AM, Wham49 said:

some days I go through, and when I play with my dads groups we let groups through. just on Sunday I was playing with them as a 4 some, we let 3 groups go through, and finished in 3.5. yesterday I played by myself walking and went through about 6 groups and played in 2 hours. 

who is anybody to decide how long somebody has to take to play golf, you play as long as you want, I will do the same, if it makes sense to let somebody through. I do it

I don't fundamentally disagree with letting a group, any group, play through my group if there is space in front of my group.  However, there are limits, and I think that's the key to your last statement -- sometimes it makes sense to let someone through, sometimes it doesn't.

If I am keeping up with the group in front of me, you're not playing through, period.  If there are two, or ten, foursomes back-to-back and they are each keeping pace with the group in front of them, it's tough luck for the single or twosome at the tail end.  I end up playing a lot as a single too, and you can't ever expect the course to part like the Red Sea to play through group after group. 

Different angle on a similar situation is if a course is allowing single after single or twosome after twosome to go off #1, that's a course management problem.  The course has to pair those people up.  Even worse than the above situation is a group of four followed by a single, then a twosome, then another single, another twosome, etc.  It's not reasonable to expect my group to let a parade of singles through over and over.  Pair up.

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

7 hours ago, david.c.w said:

I have to say that a single playing through 6 groups is poor form.   I would for sure let you through, but your expectations of making 20+ other people pause or wait while you take ownership of the whole course stinks.

Depends on the situation on the course. If there's nearly nobody out there and groups are spread out, a single can catch up to a group in front VERY quickly even if there's a 1.5-2 hole gap between groups. 

Now, if it's a busy course and groups are keeping pace with each other w/o gaps, a single shouldn't expect anyone to let them through. Period. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

15 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Depends on the situation on the course. If there's nearly nobody out there and groups are spread out, a single can catch up to a group in front VERY quickly even if there's a 1.5-2 hole gap between groups. 

Now, if it's a busy course and groups are keeping pace with each other w/o gaps, a single shouldn't expect anyone to let them through. Period. 

I totally get it, but just because you can play in 2 hours, does not mean you get to play in 2 hours.  I assume everything was fine and cordial and smooth, but playing through 6 groups is too many.

4 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

I totally get it, but just because you can play in 2 hours, does not mean you get to play in 2 hours.  I assume everything was fine and cordial and smooth, but playing through 6 groups is too many.

Obviously it all depends on the situation. If I'm in a foursome on an empty course, and a single is moving so fast that I don't realize there's a single behind us, and they're at their ball in the fairway before we start putting, and they're on the green and have putt out before we're even done teeing off, I'd rather hold off and just let them through on that tee box. A player like that is a serious jackrabbit and will be out of our hair before we can even recognize they were there. Someone like that could make it through a relatively empty course and get through 6 groups without being a bother.

If a single is only slightly or moderately faster than the groups ahead, I'd agree that it would be rare to get through 6 groups on a course. 

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

As a frequent single, I would not want to play through more than a group or two.  Playing up on anything other than a par 3 is annoying, and playing through five or six groups in one round?  No thanks.  As the single I'll hang back a little bit, hit a couple chips at my bag, get some Vitamin D, and enjoy the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

8 hours ago, david.c.w said:

26 minutes ago, mshills said:

As a frequent single, I would not want to play through more than a group or two.  Playing up on anything other than a par 3 is annoying, and playing through five or six groups in one round?  No thanks.  As the single I'll hang back a little bit, hit a couple chips at my bag, get some Vitamin D, and enjoy the day.

I disagree of course, 4 of the 6 waved me through when they saw me waiting for them. thy saw me behind them,  hit their drives on the next hoIe and waited for me to get off the green and said to go, the 2 minutes I was in their way in their 4:30  round, hardly paused the course 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, klebs01 said:

I’m with @Wham49.  I play as a single a lot and my play through a couple groups on a side no big deal. A frequent spot is on our sixth hole a par three. I walk back to the tee while they are still hitting (after being asked if I want to play through) and hit right after them. I’m usually done putting out before they are all on the green. They haven’t waited or lost any time. This can be done multiple times per round without causing any delay to any group. Not sure why this would be controversial even if done 6+ times in 18 holes. Also works on 4s and 5s. No need to wait at all. People can keep playing when someone plays through. 

You and @Impmust belong the most efficient clubs out there.  If you can seamlessly work your way through 6 groups, have at it.  I can't see all 6 groups having perfect timing on the perfect holes.  And those 6 groups having the perfect people in in them. 

I would say that if I was in a foursome and had @klebs01play through on 5, then @Imp on 11, then @Wham49on 14, I would be irritated.  End of the world, of course not.  But I should not expect that every time I go out.  

54 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

You and @Impmust belong the most efficient clubs out there.  If you can seamlessly work your way through 6 groups, have at it.  I can't see all 6 groups having perfect timing on the perfect holes.  And those 6 groups having the perfect people in in them. 

I would say that if I was in a foursome and had @klebs01play through on 5, then @Imp on 11, then @Wham49on 14, I would be irritated.  End of the world, of course not.  But I should not expect that every time I go out.  

Nor would it happen often, nor occasionally, but hey, on that day, not our fault you couldn't keep up with the groups in front of you, why do you want to take it out on us?

Edited by Imp
  • Like 2

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

58 minutes ago, Imp said:

Nor would it happen often, nor occasionally, but hey, on that day, not our fault you couldn't keep up with the groups in front of you, why do you want to take it out on us?

I am not behind, I am on pace.  Maybe there was a 2 group gap in front of me.  There is no group to keep pace with.  

My point is that a 2 hour round is not a reasonable expectation, and the rest of the course should not have to step aside or accommodate a single trying to break a speed record.

• Like 1

Like many things, it's about compromise, being reasonable, and having some situational awareness on both sides.

The single player needs to recognize that at prime time, he can't expect the course to part like Moses was on the scene.  He also needs to pair up when possible, again if the course is busy.  The course should insist on this and not leave it up to the single to do it, because people are not proactive and won't do it.  If the course is not busy, that same player can expect to be waved through and when it happens, move right along.

The foursome encountering the single should absolutely be expected to wave him through if there is room in front.  Again, situational awareness.  If there is no where to go, no reason to get distracted or focus on the player or players behind you.

• Like 1

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

25 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

I am not behind, I am on pace.  Maybe there was a 2 group gap in front of me.  There is no group to keep pace with.  

My point is that a 2 hour round is not a reasonable expectation, and the rest of the course should not have to step aside or accommodate a single trying to break a speed record.

I am coming to understand your point. 

Do you agree or disagree that pace of play is set for a foursome playing a round, and that while you are on pace, it means you shouldn't be holding up any other FOURSOMES? That's the whole purpose for pace/times on a course. Nothing else, but directed to foursomes. (Thank you Bill Yates)

Anyone else, it's understood that you/your group ARE TO LET FASTER groups (foursomes, threesomes, pairs, singles) through if there is room in front of your group and you are holding them up.

A single, playing alone, using simple math is NOT trying to set, nor break, a speed record. They are playing AT PACE, also, but a pace more appropriate for one person, not a foursome. One player is usually, almost always, any other adjectives here, going to be faster than a foursome, even if that foursome is trying to break their own speed record, an average single can still play the course faster, usually.

Now, based on that info, and your post, I can only envision (mental image) you're the person that does the speed limit or below in the left most lane on highways, because others shouldn't be going faster than you, or the speed limit, and it's a lane, and the lane is completely open in front of you ... . You know that's not right either, I hope. 😉 

Edited by Imp
  • Like 2

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

4 minutes ago, Imp said:

I am coming to understand your point. 

Do you agree or disagree that pace of play is set for a foursome playing a round, and that while you are on pace, it means you shouldn't be holding up any other FOURSOMES? That's the whole purpose for pace/times on a course. Nothing else, but directed to foursomes. (Thank you Bill Yates)

Anyone else, it's understood that you/your group ARE TO LET FASTER groups (foursomes, threesomes, pairs, singles) through if there is room in front of your group and you are holding them up.

A single, playing alone, using simple math is NOT trying to set, nor break, a speed record. They are playing AT PACE, also, but a pace more appropriate for one person, not a foursome. One player is usually, almost always, any other adjectives here, going to be faster than a foursome, even if that foursome is trying to break their own speed record, an average single can still play the course faster, usually.

Again, I am 100% going to let you though.  I am not going to block you.  Reading the comments I am getting the feeling that the singles wanting to play in 2.5 hours have sense of entitlement that they should be able to march around the course at their own pace, and have everyone in front accommodate them.   I will stand by my opinion that playing through 6 groups in 18 holes is poor etiquette, and sets a precedent for the single to feel like this is the norm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Again, I am 100% going to let you though.  I am not going to block you.  Reading the comments I am getting the feeling that the singles wanting to play in 2.5 hours have sense of entitlement that they should be able to march around the course at their own pace, and have everyone in front accommodate them.   I will stand by my opinion that playing through 6 groups in 18 holes is poor etiquette, and sets a precedent for the single to feel like this is the norm.

Depends on the situation. I don’t expect a full course to let me through constantly. However, if I tee off at 5 pm and there are three groups on the front 9 with a couple holes between them, then it is reasonable to play through if I’m on a comfortable pace to play 9 in a hour. The other groups don’t lose any time and everyone is happy (other than some curmudgeon that just wants to make people suffer and still thinks singles don’t have standing). 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, david.c.w said:

no, not to expect every round. The day in question i was the only one of our 4some to make it, we tee off at 715. I teed off and just went. I passed my first when the called me up on 2 to hit in the green why they looked for the wifes ball, I hit a shot into the green a quick 2 putt and was teeing off the 3rd before they had putted thier first. the next was on the 4th par 5, one cart was in the left rough the pther had a ball catcher in their hand at the pond on the right yelled up to get their attention they saud to go while they found everything. I teed off and was off the green as they were coming up to their thrird, same on 6 they were in the water short of the green I hit my second over the top of them and was gone before they knew it. I would not go through people who are moving at any rate or when the course is full, I would have and have just jumped to the back after 5, you can go right to 13, and get ahead of the course but did not need too. 

like I said some days I let singles go through a few of them even, so it goes both ways

3 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

no, not to expect every round. The day in question i was the only one of our 4some to make it, we tee off at 715. I teed off and just went. I passed my first when the called me up on 2 to hit in the green why they looked for the wifes ball, I hit a shot into the green a quick 2 putt and was teeing off the 3rd before they had putted thier first. the next was on the 4th par 5, one cart was in the left rough the pther had a ball catcher in their hand at the pond on the right yelled up to get their attention they saud to go while they found everything. I teed off and was off the green as they were coming up to their thrird, same on 6 they were in the water short of the green I hit my second over the top of them and was gone before they knew it. I would not go through people who are moving at any rate or when the course is full, I would have and have just jumped to the back after 5, you can go right to 13, and get ahead of the course but did not need too. 

like I said some days I let singles go through a few of them even, so it goes both ways

@Imp@Wham49@klebs01, why don't the 3 of you come to Atlanta and then we can play in a foursome in just under 4 hours so we don't have to worry about it?  I host.  😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, david.c.w said:

@Imp@Wham49@klebs01, why don't the 3 of you come to Atlanta and then we can play in a foursome in just under 4 hours so we don't have to worry about it?  I host.  😄

I'm just struggling with what appears to be the acceptance that it is possible, if the stars align, for it to happen. I mean, you're saying on the one hand that "I'll let you though" but all the other posts, are negative to the point of almost cancelling out you SAYING you'd do it. 🙂

Thanks for the offer, but it wasn't my turn this year to go there (would have been next week believe it or not). Instead, I get to go to ... Philly. Not sure which one is worse. /s 🍻

3 hours ago, Imp said:

I'm just struggling with what appears to be the acceptance that it is possible, if the stars align, for it to happen. I mean, you're saying on the one hand that "I'll let you though" but all the other posts, are negative to the point of almost cancelling out you SAYING you'd do it. 🙂

Thanks for the offer, but it wasn't my turn this year to go there (would have been next week believe it or not). Instead, I get to go to ... Philly. Not sure which one is worse. /s 🍻

Maybe we are just talking past each other. 

George Costanza sums up my thoughts on this perfectly

Maybe I'm alone in this, but reading all the replies I cannot believe people think the expectation should be that a foursome should let a twosome through *on the first teebox*.

Our foursome is fast. We consider a 3:30 round to be a bit slow. We regularly get let through by twosomes and even the occasional single if its a guy messing around hitting multiple balls. I wouldn't even let a *single* take our tee time before the round even starts. Show me you're fast and I'll let you through on the second fairway, but unless I know you or recognize you from watching the Masters you ain't getting the benefit of the doubt. 

1 hour ago, cmagnusson said:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but reading all the replies I cannot believe people think the expectation should be that a foursome should let a twosome through *on the first teebox*.

Our foursome is fast. We consider a 3:30 round to be a bit slow. We regularly get let through by twosomes and even the occasional single if its a guy messing around hitting multiple balls. I wouldn't even let a *single* take our tee time before the round even starts. Show me you're fast and I'll let you through on the second fairway, but unless I know you or recognize you from watching the Masters you ain't getting the benefit of the doubt. 

A two will *probably* be faster than a 4, so, yeah, it's kinda like that. Now, if you have to wait on the 2? Well, they need to let you through. Same as if the 2 is waiting on your, as you say "fast", group after a couple holes. It's generally common sense, 2 balls are faster to a) find and b) play than 4 on a per hole basis... and this is the important qualifier in all the discussion... "given the same playing capability of the groups." Most players (as we know, not here on GWX, where we're all single digits and married to supermodels), have problems breaking 90. So, if/when you have a group of 4 that can't break 90, and a group of 2 that can't break 90... well, my money is on the 2 gapping the 4. 😉

Edited by Imp
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Would be great, the heat would def. Slow me down, already putting my winter layer on for my Northern midwestern winters

3 hours ago, cmagnusson said:

It depends on the circumstances, if you knew the 2 some is fast  or if you know your group is slow. We are a fast 4some, 330 is a slow round so I want to see the pace before I let someone in front

21 hours ago, cmagnusson said:

Well part of it was OP's attitude and tone made it pretty clear he was not a fast player. And he has long since ghosted us after not liking what he heard.

But I think the most important thing in general is situational awareness and common courtesy. If the course is wide open and you know you're holding up/going to hold up another group - let them through. If the course is stacked, apologize and let them know there's nowhere to go and commiserate over the slow play together while waiting. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 4:04 AM, klebs01 said:

I’m with @Wham49.  I play as a single a lot and my play through a couple groups on a side no big deal. A frequent spot is on our sixth hole a par three. I walk back to the tee while they are still hitting (after being asked if I want to play through) and hit right after them. I’m usually done putting out before they are all on the green. They haven’t waited or lost any time. This can be done multiple times per round without causing any delay to any group. Not sure why this would be controversial even if done 6+ times in 18 holes. Also works on 4s and 5s. No need to wait at all. People can keep playing when someone plays through. 

If they are keeping up with the group in front of them and the course is fairly full, you aren’t going anywhere on the next tee box until the group ahead has finished hitting their approach shots on the next hole. The group that let you pass will now have to stand around on that tee box while you hit your drive and second shot (you’ll almost surely be waiting for the group ahead to finish on the green). At this point they have waited and lost time. 

If the course is open ahead of them, it makes sense. If not, the starter should have paired you with another twosome or several singles. 

Edit: The above wasn’t worded very well, I agree. I can definitely see the confusion after reading it again. 

The group lets you through. You go to the next tee, but the group ahead has likely just left the tee box on that hole. You’ll need to wait for them to hit their approach shots to the next green before you can tee off. The group that let you through will likely just be getting to the next tee as you leave it.

Once you get to your tee shot, you’ll have to wait for the group ahead to finish at the green before you can hit your approach. The group that allowed you to go through will now have an additional wait while you wait for the green to clear. 

Edited by Hardluckster
  • Confused 1

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, Jvoom30 said:

Got into an argument the other day with a buddy about when to let a group pass. It ended with him and I both leaving the course early. I still feel confident in my position but was looking here and could not find a post. When is the best time to let a group play through.

Full context:

We are a 4some, course is not really busy at all. We are teeing off and as we are teeing off a twosome pulls up right behind our carts. This is typically a big no no as most courses have an on deck spot. While we are still teeing off one of the twosome members phone starts ringing and he answers it. Nothing else happens and we play the hole. On the second hole some in my group are saying we should let them through. I say let's keep playing as we were playing fast as a 4 and they had already had me heated. 

Third hole same debate, we keep playing we tee off on next hole which is a par 5 which is followed by a short par 4. I say let's keep playing as the twosome is still on the last hole on the green instead of just waiting on the tee box for them to finish the hole and arrive. We had to do some looking for a tee shot and the person had to drop and is like lets wave the 2 through, and I am like no why would you wave a group through in the middle of a hole. He then felt rushed on his next couple of shots which did not go well. 

I can't help his feeling rushed as I tell him all the time to take his time and not rush. That's a different problem altogether. 

My feeling is if it was me I wouldn't want a group to wave me through in the middle of a hole and much rather on a start of a hole and I knew the next hole was a shorty.

They felt differently.

So when do you let a group through; during a hole or at a start of one, and should I have even let them through after their poor form on the first tee. I had felt if you let them through in the middle of a hole it is the same feeling of rushed and not really knowing what was behind them. 

I of course would just let my buddy win next time as they are the type of player that can feel pressure in these type of situations. But as I said the 2some put be in a bad place right off the bat and I was not in the mood to be so kind to them especially when we were on pace or faster. 

I am glad you posted this because I have wanted to ask someone who's like you this for some time. Do you also sit in the left line while drivers are piling up behind you? From the way you describe your actions on the course, I have to imagine you are.

You should have let those two cruise right past you on the first tee regardless of the fact that you were butt hurt because of their stupid phone or them pulling up. Get over it. And since you didn't let them through on the first hole, then you should have let them cruise past you when someone (actually more than one you say) first mentioned it in your group. And since you didn't you should have done it the second time someone in your group said it.  They were right and you are wrong. And there's no rule about when you let someone through. It does not have to be on a tee box or certain hole, it can be anywhere and at anytime on the course. 

You are a narcissist.  It's all about you. You don't care about them and you certainly don't even care about your fellow playing partners. They are feeling rushed, because they are rushed, and all they want is to let them through but your narcissism won't allow it. And FYI, just because someone is still on the last putting green and not on the tee  box does not mean they are that far behind. Often times, guys will slow it down in those situations and practice some putts etc. instead of being right on top of you.   I hate to say but guys like you are one of the problems with golf these days. 

• Like 4