Letting a group play through

On 6/2/2022 at 8:51 PM, Augster said:

Wow. 

Let them through. It’s that simple. You’re a 4, they are 2 in one cart. They’d be through in 2 minutes or

less. 

Here is how playing through works. 

If they are putting out on the previous green and your group has hit your tee shots, hang back, offer them to play through. Then they hit their tee balls and ALL of you head out and play as a 6-some (in this case). If everyone finds their ball at the same time, all 6, again, hit their approach shots to the green. Then let the other group putt out first and they are gone. 

In the middle of a hole, when your group is looking for a ball, you turn and face the tee box, raise your arm up high, then wave for them to hit up. If they decide to hit up, stand to the side. After they hit, your group hits their approach shots and then waits for the other group to hit theirs. Then you all go to the green. They putt out first, and are gone. 

We had a single on foot play through our foursome one time. I timed exactly how much “extra” we had to wait for him. It was 35 seconds. Mostly while he putted. 

I still have no idea why you didn’t let them swap tee times with you on the first tee. Seems pretty obvious that a 2-some in a cart is going to have to play through a group of 4 geezers at some point. 

My dad taught me this rhythm 40 yrs ago and it works perfectly. I never understood the difficulty in it.Another note. Playing through: don’t rush like a lunatic , play through quickly but in your rhythm ,BUT  as soon as you finish the hole get moving and off  the next tee so the group is really completely justified feeling for letting you play through 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

12 hours ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

My dad taught me this rhythm 40 yrs ago and it works perfectly. I never understood the difficulty in it.Another note. Playing through: don’t rush like a lunatic , play through quickly but in your rhythm ,BUT  as soon as you finish the hole get moving and off  the next tee so the group is really completely justified feeling for letting you play through 

.... and say thanks, or maybe an arm wave as you walk off. 😉

One time, I just left my new Prov V1 in the cup as a present. 🙂

Edited by Imp
  • Like 3

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, acegolfer said:

I have been playing golf for 30+ yrs. I noticed that less ppl these days let faster player play through. Seems like they think it's a race to finish 18. 

Have you noticed that courses usually have a full tee sheet now? The only race there is, is to keep up with the group in front. And if everyone does that, there's no where for the "faster" player to go. 

• Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

7 minutes ago, Imp said:

Have you noticed that courses usually have a full tee sheet now? The only race there is, is to keep up with the group in front. And if everyone does that, there's no where for the "faster" player to go. 

The other day, the 4-some in front of me didn't let me play through even though they were 2 holes behind. I just decided to play a few balls while waiting behind them the whole round. 

When to let people play though?  When there's room in front of my group and the group up-front, and they have the skill to keep moving at a faster pace.  If all they can do is tee off then wait in the fairway, I am not letting anyone though.

One thing that annoys me is when we're courteous and let a two-some play though, then they lack golf skills to maintain their faster POP.  Just because they are a two-some doesn't mean they should be allowed to play though, then slow us down.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 minute ago, acegolfer said:

The other day, the 4-some in front of me didn't let me play through even though they were 2 holes behind. I just decided to play a few balls while waiting behind them the whole round. 

That I agree with, when there's room

I was taught you let someone through when there's room. A single trying to plow through stacked foursomes is just going to cause a chain reaction of delays

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Warrior42111 said:

That I agree with, when there's room

I was taught you let someone through when there's room. A single trying to plow through stacked foursomes is just going to cause a chain reaction of delays

That's how I was taught too in the old days. But seems not everybody today knows this.  

18 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

When to let people play though?  When there's room in front of my group and the group up-front, and they have the skill to keep moving at a faster pace.  If all they can do is tee off then wait in the fairway, I am not letting anyone though.

One thing that annoys me is when we're courteous and let a two-some play though, then they lack golf skills to maintain their faster POP.  Just because they are a two-some doesn't mean they should be allowed to play though, then slow us down.

Novel thought... they should then let you play through. It goes to the faster group, not the number. 

Last night, playing the back 9 of our club, me and my buddy caught up to the 4some in front of us (all mutual friends) on 14. There was no one behind us this late in the afternoon that we had seen. We finished as 6. As we were teeing off on 15, we saw a single cross the path going to 11. He caught up to us on 16, but never really pressured us to let him through as we were teeing off on 16, he hung back on 15. As we were on the fairway of a long par 5 17th, he was teeing off. He "caught up" (got on the green) on 17 as we finished teeing off on 18. Should we have let him through just for the 18th hole? We still played the back in under 2 hours. 

5 hours ago, Imp said:

Novel thought... they should then let you play through. It goes to the faster group, not the number. 

Last night, playing the back 9 of our club, me and my buddy caught up to the 4some in front of us (all mutual friends) on 14. There was no one behind us this late in the afternoon that we had seen. We finished as 6. As we were teeing off on 15, we saw a single cross the path going to 11. He caught up to us on 16, but never really pressured us to let him through as we were teeing off on 16, he hung back on 15. As we were on the fairway of a long par 5 17th, he was teeing off. He "caught up" (got on the green) on 17 as we finished teeing off on 18. Should we have let him through just for the 18th hole? We still played the back in under 2 hours. 

I am not the God of POP etiquette.  But playing though is about tee groups in front.  Who's playing faster and reasonably accurate, and is there room for the faster person or group to play though and not hold up those golfers being passed.

Having been in pvt club leadership and dealt with the topic club wide.  If he's faster than you two, and nobody is in front of you to slow him, why not. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

12 hours ago, Imp said:

playing 6 and you have to ask if you should let a single through?

sounds like 15-16-17 all were options 

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

1 hour ago, pingfool said:

playing 6 and you have to ask if you should let a single through?

sounds like 15-16-17 all were options 

FYI, just to clear it up, I wanted to let him through, do the right thing. the others in the group were saying no. I took issue with it, but I wasn't going to press and make a stink. He was hanging back quite a bit on 15/16 and then on 17, like I said, we were hitting 2nd shots in fairway before he got to the tee box. Any time, he had time to finish up and press.... so I see the other guys points, not yell to "hey hurry up and play through!" But still, I wouldn't have minded hanging back just for a few min. 

On 6/16/2022 at 5:49 AM, Imp said:

.... and say thanks, or maybe an arm wave as you walk off. 😉

One time, I just left my new Prov V1 in the cup as a present. 🙂

I love this - I'm gonna buy a couple sleeves of ProV's so I can leave one for each guy in the group when this happens.  Sadly people really need to be thanked more than ever for doing things everybody should be doing....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

17 hours ago, Imp said:

FYI, just to clear it up, I wanted to let him through, do the right thing. the others in the group were saying no. I took issue with it, but I wasn't going to press and make a stink. He was hanging back quite a bit on 15/16 and then on 17, like I said, we were hitting 2nd shots in fairway before he got to the tee box. Any time, he had time to finish up and press.... so I see the other guys points, not yell to "hey hurry up and play through!" But still, I wouldn't have minded hanging back just for a few min. 

Those other guys had no clue how to behave. What a bunch of j**ks!

... What an interesting topic. Once you clear away the trappings of most things in life it usually boils down to: are you a considerate person or an inconsiderate person? Pretty well covered if the course is full, nobody plays through unless you are consistently behind, not just one hole where someone blows up. 

... I would always let a 2 some play through if the hole is open in front of us. The logic of they might be jerks makes no sense as it that is the case, the last thing I want is jerks right behind me the whole round. 

... And finally we have no idea what is going on with others. Perhaps the phone call was an emergency, a child needing parental help or a spouse with an important question. I was cured of being judgmental about 20 years ago when I had just not been able to find handicap parking for my Mom after knee surgery and finally had someone jog up to their car with a handicap plate, jump in and drive off. The very next day I am at a Target and two young girls pul into the handicap spot, laughing and hugging and skipping toward the front door and I just stood their "eye balling" them, pi$$ed they were taking up a much needed spot. One of them saw me and they both stopped, then just went off "What the f**k are you looking at? You don't know me you piece of sh!t! Go F**K yourself!!!" I almost confronted them about my Mom when they went inside and rolled out their paraplegic brother in a wheel chair and as they passed me they gave me the finger ... which I certainly deserved. I was about to follow them and explain but figured they had their hands full and I learned a very valuable lesson. Never assume I know what someone else is going through. 

• Like 4

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

On 6/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, Jvoom30 said:

Got into an argument the other day with a buddy about when to let a group pass. It ended with him and I both leaving the course early. I still feel confident in my position but was looking here and could not find a post. When is the best time to let a group play through.

Full context:

We are a 4some, course is not really busy at all. We are teeing off and as we are teeing off a twosome pulls up right behind our carts. This is typically a big no no as most courses have an on deck spot. While we are still teeing off one of the twosome members phone starts ringing and he answers it. Nothing else happens and we play the hole. On the second hole some in my group are saying we should let them through. I say let's keep playing as we were playing fast as a 4 and they had already had me heated. 

Third hole same debate, we keep playing we tee off on next hole which is a par 5 which is followed by a short par 4. I say let's keep playing as the twosome is still on the last hole on the green instead of just waiting on the tee box for them to finish the hole and arrive. We had to do some looking for a tee shot and the person had to drop and is like lets wave the 2 through, and I am like no why would you wave a group through in the middle of a hole. He then felt rushed on his next couple of shots which did not go well. 

I can't help his feeling rushed as I tell him all the time to take his time and not rush. That's a different problem altogether. 

My feeling is if it was me I wouldn't want a group to wave me through in the middle of a hole and much rather on a start of a hole and I knew the next hole was a shorty.

They felt differently.

So when do you let a group through; during a hole or at a start of one, and should I have even let them through after their poor form on the first tee. I had felt if you let them through in the middle of a hole it is the same feeling of rushed and not really knowing what was behind them. 

I of course would just let my buddy win next time as they are the type of player that can feel pressure in these type of situations. But as I said the 2some put be in a bad place right off the bat and I was not in the mood to be so kind to them especially when we were on pace or faster. 

Not much annoys me more than when a group holding me up rushes from green to tee and hurries off the tee in order to stay ahead rather than let me through. The 2-some was still on the previous green because they had to wait for you to clear it. 

• Like 1

League last night, playing our annual Ryder Cup 18 hole tourney. 9 tee times, 4 in each spot. I was part of the 1st group off (since I would be doing the scoring as everyone came in), and following the public. By the 8th green, we see the group behind us is only on the 6th green. By the time we are on the 10th green, we see they are on the 8th green. Ugh. Some public groups jumped in the middle after us, which was fine and we let one group through thinking the group behind would catch up as the public was slowing down (and we just finished up foursomes, which allows us to really keep up). We were on the 15th tee when the group that started right behind us, was getting on 12 (and that's letting one public group of 3 through). We finished about 45 min before the 2nd group and there were about 3-4 public groups that got in the middle of us all. Not that I care, there was room. Words were said about them being so slow, and one of the people in the 2nd group was the league prez. It was ugly for all the groups stacked up behind him and his group. 

Edited by Imp

27 minutes ago, Imp said:

League last night, playing our annual Ryder Cup 18 hole tourney. 9 tee times, 4 in each spot. I was part of the 1st group off (since I would be doing the scoring as everyone came in), and following the public. By the 8th green, we see the group behind us is only on the 6th green. By the time we are on the 10th green, we see they are on the 8th green. Ugh. Some public groups jumped in the middle after us, which was fine and we let one group through thinking the group behind would catch up as the public was slowing down (and we just finished up foursomes, which allows us to really keep up). We were on the 15th tee when the group that started right behind us, was getting on 12 (and that's letting one public group of 3 through). We finished about 45 min before the 2nd group and there were about 3-4 public groups that got in the middle of us all. Not that I care, there was room. Words were said about them being so slow, and one of the people in the 2nd group was the league prez. It was ugly for all the groups stacked up behind him and his group. 

next week prez goes in last group

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

52 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Not much annoys me more than when a group holding me up rushes from green to tee and hurries off the tee in order to stay ahead rather than let me through. The 2-some was still on the previous green because they had to wait for you to clear it. 

BUT YOU NEVER CAUGHT US!

• Haha 2

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: On a rotating basis
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 7/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, MountainKing said:

Did the OP bail on this thread like he bailed on his round of golf? Looks like baililng is a theme in his life....

:classic_laugh:

Well, to be fair, he hasn't signed on in a month (June 6). :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 6:45 PM, Pepperturbo said:

This may not be correct though I’ve not looked at the new R & A wording. 

The R&A made a huge error IMO in the last but one booklet when they stated that a singleton had the status of a group - reversing the no-status position. 

They left it up to Clubs to rule locally on priority. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 8:12 AM, SNIPERBBB said:

That statement is irrelevant to letting a group play through. It doesn't matter how fast YOU ARE. Its how fast THEY ARE, and if there is open course in front of you.  You could be playing at a 2hr pace for 18 which is blazing speed but if the group behind you is at 1.5hr pace, you have to let them go if there's room in front. 

exactly, people seem to think it is not manly to let groups through. It just makes it more enjoyable for  everybody. I heard the comment last year which I think sums up the people who do not understand the letting groups through thing is, "I payed my money just like you, this is my tee time, your after me." this makes no sense. so we argued on the 10 tee box,  we waited till then becasue they were not letting or even acknowledged us behind them even though we were waiting for 10 minutes to hit on almost every shot. . I just said we are going through that's the end of the story and we went as they were yelling at us as we teed off. we went off and finished at least an hour before them.

some days I go through, and when I play with my dads groups we let groups through. just on Sunday I was playing with them as a 4 some, we let 3 groups go through, and finished in 3.5. yesterday I played by myself walking and went through about 6 groups and played in 2 hours. 

who is anybody to decide how long somebody has to take to play golf, you play as long as you want, I will do the same, if it makes sense to let somebody through. I do it

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, Jvoom30 said:

I say let's keep playing as we were playing fast as a 4 and they had already had me heated. 

They could have been out of your hair and through you right here.  But your ego wasn't going to allow it.  

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft