Jump to content

Underrated Junior Golf Tour, anyone with any info


Recommended Posts

I know a few friends who will be playing in this.  Sounds like an amazing experience especially since just about everything is paid for.  They also received some cool swag recently related to the tournament.   I'm still a bit unclear how to get chosen for the tournament though.   One dad even got both his girls into the tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

After reading more about this. I think it's horrible!! A lot of these kids do not need a Completely Free Tournament including travel and all expenses. They were chosen not because of need or talent or being deserving of this in any way. They were chosen because of their race. Horrible!  They are being handed AJGA stars because of race. It's offensive to all. Curry is of course welcome to a tour and to pay for it all for anyone he wants but the AJGA should not condone this as only certain people can get access to the stars they are handing out. This is bad for junior golf! 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

After reading more about this. I think it's horrible!! A lot of these kids do not need a Completely Free Tournament including travel and all expenses. They were chosen not because of need or talent or being deserving of this in any way. They were chosen because of their race. Horrible!  They are being handed AJGA stars because of race. It's offensive to all. Curry is of course welcome to a tour and to pay for it all for anyone he wants but the AJGA should not condone this as only certain people can get access to the stars they are handing out. This is bad for junior golf! 

 

100% Agree

 

 

"AS A PREDOMINANTLY WHITE MALE SPORT, THE SYSTEM AND INSTITUTION OF GOLF WAS DESIGNED TO BENEFIT CERTAIN GROUPS OVER OTHERS. UNDERRATED GOLF BELIEVES THE GAME OF GOLF IS FOR EVERYONE, BUT WE KNOW THAT THERE IS SIGNIFICANT WORK TO BE DONE TO MAKE IT A JUST, FAIR AND INSPIRING SPORT FOR ALL."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally this first time I even heard about this. I don't care about any AJGA stars they hand out. Lots of way to get stars out there so not really a big deal.

 

I would hope they are open and allow everyone to play.If they are not truly open and let anyone play they will fail.  To me golf is one the most open sports there is.  Where else do you get to play with someone from Korea and Iowa in the same tournament and everyone gets along.  

 

I always found any courses that hate kids, women and only want certain people are the ones that need business and closing their doors.

 

Personally I think paying for kids who can't afford tournaments on a needs basis is a better use of money then trying to create a new tour for them because they can't afford to travel.

 

 

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like it's trying to follow the same path as the APGA Tour which is noble in theory. The tough part is it's difficult to try and minimize biasness without accidentally having the pendulum swing in the opposite direction. 

 

Same goes for business trying to become more diverse. Sometimes (although not intentionally) you end up being more biased / discriminatory by trying to hire minority candidates instead of just hiring the best man or woman for the job regardless of race / gender.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, kekoa said:

There were white, asian, black, hispanic players at this tournament.   Were they missing a race? Asking for a fren.

Not true! Only certain races were included and given exemptions, for no reason other than they are that race. Kids from wealthy families are included because they are the right race, NOTHING to do with ability or need.  Again, Curry may make his tour criteria anything he wants, it's his tour. But, to award AJGA stars is wrong. They only earned those stars based on their race, not earned on golfing ability. That can't be a good feeling for those getting them or those who did not have access to those stars because they are not of a certain race. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

Not true! Only certain races were included and given exemptions, for no reason other than they are that race. Kids from wealthy families are included because they are the right race, NOTHING to do with ability or need.  Again, Curry may make his tour criteria anything he wants, it's his tour. But, to award AJGA stars is wrong. They only earned those stars based on their race, not earned on golfing ability. That can't be a good feeling for those getting them or those who did not have access to those stars because they are not of a certain race. 

 

 

Based on what I seen there is no reason to play these events. There are lot better tournaments to play during this time.  This tournament is a huge distraction from kids who should be looking at other events.  I also am guessing by the time there finished this still costs the families more then a local event they could play.

 

As for AJGA stars It's not worth complaining about them. They have always been unfair and given uneven. AJGA doesn't care they hand out stars to get fields they think are good for them.

 

Those of us in Florida, Texas or California have to fight for scraps when it comes to stars while kids up north get a ton stars.  I can't tell you how many times I see a kid who be bottom of the field with 20 stars because there is no competitions near them.

 

The solution is those of us in certain states have to travel to places with less competitions to get stars. The reality is those of us in Florida and other big states have plenty of options and the want to play AJGA is more about hype than need.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, jkpgolf said:

Not true! Only certain races were included and given exemptions, for no reason other than they are that race. Kids from wealthy families are included because they are the right race, NOTHING to do with ability or need.  Again, Curry may make his tour criteria anything he wants, it's his tour. But, to award AJGA stars is wrong. They only earned those stars based on their race, not earned on golfing ability. That can't be a good feeling for those getting them or those who did not have access to those stars because they are not of a certain race. 

A friend played the event at Cog Hill and he specifically told me this.  Were you there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had several friends there as well and I know for a fact, only certain races were given exemptions to this tour. It was not based on need or talent or based on any status other than race. 

Don't you find it weird that scores are not being posted? They don't want anyone to see the scores. Again, Curry can run his tour anyway he wants, it's his money. But as for AJGA stars they should not be awarded!!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jkpgolf said:

I had several friends there as well and I know for a fact, only certain races were given exemptions to this tour. It was not based on need or talent or based on any status other than race. 

Don't you find it weird that scores are not being posted? They don't want anyone to see the scores. Again, Curry can run his tour anyway he wants, it's his money. But as for AJGA stars they should not be awarded!!! 

 

That's weird... the scores were live during the event but it looks like they've gone private.  

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

I had several friends there as well and I know for a fact, only certain races were given exemptions to this tour. It was not based on need or talent or based on any status other than race. 

Don't you find it weird that scores are not being posted? They don't want anyone to see the scores. Again, Curry can run his tour anyway he wants, it's his money. But as for AJGA stars they should not be awarded!!! 

 

 

I am just curious why do you care about this particular tournament and the AJGA stars that are handed out?  I could name at least a dozen other tournaments where it seems they hand out too many stars.

 

I don't know much about this particular tournament but honestly if you didn't post it I don't think I would have even known it exists.  It not something that seems like it worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

 

 

I am just curious why do you care about this particular tournament and the AJGA stars that are handed out?  I could name at least a dozen other tournaments where it seems they hand out too many stars.

 

I don't know much about this particular tournament but honestly if you didn't post it I don't think I would have even known it exists.  It not something that seems like it worth it.

It's not just a tournament. It's a series of all expenses paid tournaments that hands out stars to non-deserving kids. I care because it's wrong! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

It's not just a tournament. It's a series of all expenses paid tournaments that hands out stars to non-deserving kids. I care because it's wrong! 

 

I hear you but for your own good you got to not worry about this sort of thing.   If this upsets you JGS Rankings will drive you crazy. Only 1 thing matters in junior golf and that your kid is getting better in every tournament and you don't sell you kids future if they have success. 

 

You don't want to be the parent where things get paid for you if you can avoid it. I have seen international kids and the pressure those kids have and their parents to perform and it not always a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

It's not just a tournament. It's a series of all expenses paid tournaments that hands out stars to non-deserving kids. I care because it's wrong! 

 

Why are they non-deserving?    If I assume your comment on non-deserving was due to golf ability, then their are plenty of other tournaments where kids get a star after shooting in the mid to high 70s.   Plus you get only 2 stars for every regional and 8 if you win the Curry Cup


Frankly, i do not understand the resentment towards stars or JGS.  At the end of day, if your child can really play and shoot low, they will get stars and a low ranking. If not, then no.  Simple as that.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, kcap said:

 

Why are they non-deserving?    If I assume your comment on non-deserving was due to golf ability, then their are plenty of other tournaments where kids get a star after shooting in the mid to high 70s.   Plus you get only 2 stars for every regional and 8 if you win the Curry Cup


Frankly, i do not understand the resentment towards stars or JGS.  At the end of day, if your child can really play and shoot low, they will get stars and a low ranking. If not, then no.  Simple as that.  

 

I understand his take.  It is the notion that limited number of kids based on skin color where a bunch are already traveling and playing big events.  I am not sure this is true as I have seen pictures of kids that looked white as copy paper.  The other issue is that several of these kids are already traveling and playing across the country and do not need help.  They are advertising a tour for Equity, but it may or not be Equitable.  Equity is one of those things anyone can make up what they want the definition to be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

 

I understand his take.  It is the notion that limited number of kids based on skin color where a bunch are already traveling and playing big events.  I am not sure this is true as I have seen pictures of kids that looked white as copy paper.  The other issue is that several of these kids are already traveling and playing across the country and do not need help.  They are advertising a tour for Equity, but it may or not be Equitable.  Equity is one of those things anyone can make up what they want the definition to be.

I hear you, but just because kids are travelling does not imply they dont need help.  We do not know the sacrifices any family is making in order for that child to realize their dream.  So i dont think we can judge whether the kids need help or not.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kcap said:

I hear you, but just because kids are travelling does not imply they dont need help.  We do not know the sacrifices any family is making in order for that child to realize their dream.  So i dont think we can judge whether the kids need help or not.  

 

 

 

The tour is a bad deal.  These kids are told to play a series of events though the summer. It takes them away from AJGA, USGA and other events they should be trying to qualify for in the summer.

 

I know some the kids who are playing and this doesn't look like correct events to help them rise in rankings. It almost certainly hurts them.

 

I know they want to push diversity but honestly anyone who has been to a large junior golf event would instantly reconize  that there are people from very different background and ethnic groups.  I have no idea why this gets AJGA when other events deserve them more.

 

To me this tour looks like it was not well thought out and if they written checks for kids who need it would be accomplishing more. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, kcap said:

I hear you, but just because kids are travelling does not imply they dont need help.  We do not know the sacrifices any family is making in order for that child to realize their dream.  So i dont think we can judge whether the kids need help or not.  

 

 

I know a couple of them personally, trust me no help is needed for those families.

 

 

Edited by heavy_hitter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, heavy_hitter said:

6000 yards for guys with 5 par 5's and two driveable par 4's?  Seriously?  That is like playing putt putt.

 

image.png.a69fc2f79db50d48c9f126b8878adaa2.png

 

Inflating the slope/course rating doesn't help. The course scorecard has the White Tees (6002 yds) listed at 68.2 / 125...I'm not sure what their made-up access tees are but the rating is definitely not legit. 😕

 

Edited by CaddyMomNC
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Come on. Lets stop with the negativity. 

 

Not sure how the system works but the winner and top boys played from Tees that were called "Underrated"- which equates to Blues - or 6500/Par 71.  Not the hardest course rating at 70.3/133 but definitely not a putt putt

 

Course rating on white tees, which is the "Access" for Girls is listed at 142/73.2   They are not inflating slope/rating.

 

   

Ranch.JPG

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 8:56 AM, kcap said:

Come on. Lets stop with the negativity. 

 

Not sure how the system works but the winner and top boys played from Tees that were called "Underrated"- which equates to Blues - or 6500/Par 71.  Not the hardest course rating at 70.3/133 but definitely not a putt putt

 

Course rating on white tees, which is the "Access" for Girls is listed at 142/73.2   They are not inflating slope/rating.

 

   

Ranch.JPG

The Original yardage on Golf Genius was 6000 yards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2022 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Monday #1
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Monday #2
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Monday #3
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Monday #4
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Monday #5
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2022 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Augusto Nunez - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Harry Hall - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Roy - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Philip Knowles - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Taylor Montgomery - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Nico Echavarria - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Harrison Endycott - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Tano Goya - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Alex Lee - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Rickie Fowler - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Beau Hossler - WITB - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Ryan Moore WITB – 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Zecheng "Marty" Dou WITB – 2022 Fortinet Championship
      S.H. (Seong-hyeong) Kim WITB – 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Vincent Norrman WITB – 2022 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      Pull out Albums
       
       
      Kramer Hickok’s custom Cameron putter - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway's new Wilson Dynapwr driver - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Rickie Fowler with new Cobra King Tour irons - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Rickie Fowler, Ryan Brehm & Doug Ghim - Cameron putters - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Ping PLD putters - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Greyson Sigg - new Mizuno JPX 923 Tour irons - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Srixon MKII X5 & X7 drivers - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Fujikura Ventus Black TR and Red TR shafts - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Tyson Alexander's custom Cameron putter - 2022 Fortinet Championship
      Hideki Matsuyama's new Srixon ZX5 MKII LS driver (and putting drill) – 2022 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
       
       
      • 10 replies
    • 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions) - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions) - Tuesday #1
      2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions) - Tuesday #2
      2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions) - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Ken Duke - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
      Jay Haas - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
      David McKenzie - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
      Scott McCarron - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
      Brett Quigley - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
      Tim Petrovic - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
      Dickey Pride - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
      Tim O'Neal - WITB 2022 Ascension Charity Classic (PGA Tour Champions)
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 26 replies
    • 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship - Monday #1
      2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship - Monday #2
      2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship - Monday #3
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       
      Jeff Overton - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Kevin Yu - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Carson Young - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Shawn Stefani - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Pontus Nyholm - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Yannik Paul - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Jeremy Paul - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Andrew Kozan - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Jose De Jesus Rodriguez - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      MJ Daffue - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
      Trevor Werbylo - WITB - 2022 Korn Ferry Tour Championship
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Haha
        • Like
      • 4 replies
    • 2022 Tour Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2022 Tour Championship - Tuesday #1
      2022 Tour Championship - Tuesday #2
      2022 Tour Championship - Tuesday #3
      2022 Tour Championship - Tuesday #4
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2022 Tour Championship
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2022 Tour Championship
      Sepp Straka - WITB - 2022 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      Pullout albums
       
       
      Odyssey prototype putter - 2022 Tour Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2022 Tour Championship
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 1 reply
    • 2022 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 BMW Championship – Monday Pt. 1
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Scott Stallings WITB – 2022 BMW Championship
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      Taylor Moore's new Ping Glide Forged Pro Raw wedges – 2022 BMW Championship
      Justin Thomas new Scotty Cameron T5 Proto "JT" custom mallet putter – 2022 BMW Championship
      Ping's new Glide Forged Pro Raw tour wedges – 2022 BMW Championship
       
       
        • Like
      • 4 replies

×
×
  • Create New...