Pro V1 vs Titleist Tour Speed vs Maxfli Tour

t2490jh

I would give the tour b xs a good try, I switched from the prov1 to it this summer and get better distance off the tee and feels better off the putter and around the greens than any ball I have every used. the only downside is a little durability issue and I find they don't fly quite as far as the prov1 from the shorter full swing iron shots. However in most shops they are only $47 a dozen so you do save a little money compared to the prov's.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, t2490jh said:

I have been a Titleist Pro V1X player my whole life (apart from one year). Unbeknownst to me, I was not aware of the switch Titleist made with the flip flop in the V1 and V1x specs a few years ago. I found a few Pro V1 balls on my home course and started playing them. Being confused with the performance, I was a bit surprised on how the V1 was better than the V1X regarding spin and distance. Once I found out about the change, I sold all my remaining Pro V1X golf balls. I was disappointed with the compression and the spin on the new V1X version. So, I started my quest to get the perfect ball which fits my game.

My Equipment and Background:  I will be sixty-three this year and have a four handicap at my home course. I like playing at 6500-6700 yards. My driver swing speed is post 100 MPH and my average drive is 285-290. My 8-iron distance is 155 yards. I have the Srixon ZX7 irons with the Nippon 105 stiff shaft. My driver is the TM Sim2 head on a Ventus Black 6S shaft. This set up is only five months old. The easy decision would be to start paying for ProV1’s. But- I am cheap and I do not like paying $55 per dozen for golf balls. Below you will see the golf ball’s I have evaluated in the last month. I will tell you that I relied very heavily on the “My Spy Golf 2021 Golf Test” to select the following golf balls.

Titleist:  AVX, Tour Speed. Pro V1, Pro V1x

Srixon: Z-Star, Diamond, and XV

Callaway:  Chrome Soft

Taylor Made: TP5

Bridgestone:  Tour XS and Tour RX

Out of the bunch I had picked the Titleist Tour Speed - Until this happened. I bought a mallet putter back in September. With this putter I could not pick up the golf ball and had to bend down.  I was hitting too many golf balls during this testing process and figure that I was bending down 200-250 times per round picking up golf balls. Long story short, I would fatigue my legs to the point that I was not playing very well the last 4-5 holes.  I went back to my old-style putter and problem solved (scoop type). However, I absolutely hated the Tour Speed off my new putter. No feel and my distance control was lacking. Side note:  From the balls tested above my second favorite was the Bridgestone RX.  Then I decided to try the Maxfli Tour Ball. All I can say is wow. Below is my summary of the Pro V1, Tour Speed and Maxfli. Now keep in mind that the Pro V1 is the standard everyone wants to get to. This review is in no way saying the Maxfli is the same class as the Pro V1.   Believe me, if I could get the Pro V’s1 at $30 a dozen all my problems would disappear.

Here is my analysis of the Pro V1 vs Titleist Tour Speed vs Maxfli Tour.

Driving:  Tour Speed > Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour. On average the distance was 5-7 yards further. What I did not like on the Tour Speed was peak height. Extremely low. Similar to the AVX. I liked the peak height on the Pro V1 vs the Maxfli (but only slightly).

180-220 Yard Shots:  Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour > Titleist Tour. The spin on the Pro V1 and Maxfli were remarkably similar. This is where I hated the Tour Speed. On average the balls would not check up and run out at least 10-20 yards. Great for not hitting a ball pure, but not on precision. I would rather hit a ball well and have predictability vs. run out.

160 Yards In:  Pro V1 & Maxfli> Tour Speed. The Maxfli and Pro V1 were remarkably close in performance. The Tour Speed would run out 10-25 feet. The Maxfli was also ½ club longer than the Tour Speed. The Pro V1 was in between the Maxfli and Tour Speed. Both the Maxfli and Pro V1 did the one hop and stop routine.

One hundred Yards In:  This is where the Maxfli really excelled. For my swing and equipment, the Maxfli beat the Pro V1. One hop and stop (better spin control). I will tell you that my swing is on the steeper side and that I have always create enough spin naturally. I would have to judge a little bit more run out on the Tour Speed. The Pro V1 had a little bit more spin for me. Not a terrible thing but the Maxfli was more predictable.

Putting:  Pro V1 and Maxfli is a push. Tour speed is too soft. Distance control was off. But this is based off my new putter, not my old putter.

Compression:  I have always loved the old formula of the V1X (which is now the Pro V1). There is no better feel. However. I was shocked how close the Maxfli was. The feel of the Tour Speed was not as good. However, the distance was always surprising.

Durability:  Pro V1 > Maxfli = Tour Speed:  I played two balls of each for 18 holes. Nothing compares to the Titleist. However, the Tour Speed has a dull matt finish which I really do not like. Durability was fine. The Maxfli will shed paint when hitting a wedge in the grooves. However, after cleaning the balls I was surprised how good they still looked. As a side note, I found the Maxfli Gloss White balls to be more durable than Srixon or Bridgestone.

Sound:  Pro V1 > Maxfli > Tour Speed. Separation was small between Pro V1 and Maxfli. Enormous difference between Maxfli and Tour Speed.

This is my review based on my game. Do not make the same mistake I made and not try the Maxfli golf balls due to a biased opinion. Are they the same as Pro V1 – no they are not. However, for the money they are excellent. For my first round using these golf balls I hit 14 GIR and had six good birdie chances (converted two but skimmed the cup on four). As a decent amateur am I happy with Maxfli - absolutely yes.

You and I are as similar as a Maxfli and a ProV1. I’m 64. Similar distance although I may have a few yards on you with my ZX7s because I reshafted mine in 85 gram graphite. (As a side note; a great addition I might add). I totally agree with your assessment of the Maxfli. The only thing I would add is I truly believe the Maxfli is every bit as good as the ProV1 in my world. I’m a really good ball striker (not the best green reader) and I have found the consistency of spin and control of distance to be superb. I tend to be pin high at a magical percentage. Working the ball is a joy compared to the surprises I get with some other balls. And that includes the Maxfli Tour X. It is very different for me than the regular tour ball. 

I enjoy the search for hidden gems. Two of my quest lately have been to find the best  cheap golf ball and the best cheap scotch/whiskey. I think I am satisfied with the golf ball now. On to the whiskey…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little younger than some others here but normal distances and set ups seem almost exact. I have found myself going back over and over to the Maxfli Tour's, first based on you tube track man sessions and reviews then my own testing proven what I had been watching. For the price difference between the Maxfli and Pro V, it is really no comparison. There is so little difference in performance that it is a no brainer. I think most of us have been been brainwashed by the Titleist marketing machine and the "tour use" which the players are paid to do, but for a ball that would perform for 99% of Am's, you can't beat the Maxflis. Most here are just too proud to use them.

• Like 1

I'm 100% on the Maxfli bandwagon. I wait for the end of season sales and then just stock up as much as I can afford to at the time.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

To each their own.

There are all sorts of golf balls, like all sorts of clubs, grips and shafts.  If I were to chase perfection or couldn't make a decision, or play the game, I'd regularly change each and every aspect of my golf equipment or be a golf ho.  But that isn't me.  My focus still is play good golf and hopefully get as close to scratch as possible, before I can't, therefore sticking with weather condition driven - AVX or DASH -ProV1X.  They both get the job done nicely for me.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I’m going to try the Tour Speed Friday, I’m a bit surprised at the roll out you are getting. I don’t usually get 10 yards rollout with any ball, although the Titleist Prestige rolled out more than most. 

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

The guys at TXG put up some decent numbers with the Maxfli balls compared to Titleist a short while back. The Maxfli balls really are a fantastic bang for the buck and perform quite well. It’s really a no-brainer to at least try them, and I imagine many people will be pleasantly surprised enough to use them in place of the ridiculously over-priced balls.

47B58D2C-EC6E-4A18-8423-AD221AABED9C.jpeg

225FB9F2-3809-44EB-B757-A4386E17ADE4.jpeg

F89AAD11-2273-4B35-9601-46F3A488EBDA.jpeg

90E873CA-08C9-44C5-8F0B-1CBE93129DBF.jpeg

• Thanks 3

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

13 hours ago, t2490jh said:

I saw the same video on TXG - It was my deciding factor in taking the leap.  By their testing, the only advantage Pro V1 had was in the deviations and little less backspin.  I'm still P.O.'d with Titleist in swapping V1 and V1x.

Now that there are multiple tests, videos and proof of Pro V's being off centered, Titleist has quickly shown that their quality control is lacking which scrubs a little of the premium price and also puts them in their place over the Callaway bashing a couple seasons ago for the same issues. If no balls is going to be perfect. why spend extra when you know you are possibly getting 25% of your balls with issues. 

I'm in the senior category but still maintain an index around 3.5.  My choice for two years has been the Maxfli Tour and Tour X.  With this ball I have shot my age several times (beginning at 68) and had an ace last year.  While I can easily afford the infinitely more expensive name balls I find value to be of greater importance.  With value and performance I will stick with the Maxfli Tour balls.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 1:16 PM, cardia10 said:

Now that there are multiple tests, videos and proof of Pro V's being off centered, Titleist has quickly shown that their quality control is lacking which scrubs a little of the premium price and also puts them in their place over the Callaway bashing a couple seasons ago for the same issues. If no balls is going to be perfect. why spend extra when you know you are possibly getting 25% of your balls with issues. 

I’ve not seen these videos but my experience over twenty years of golf has been titleist balls are very consistent ball to ball for me. Every ball out of a sleeve performs the same. Having tried to kick the various pro v1/v1x out my bag with Taylormade and Callaway multiple times,  I’ve always found there is a difference ball to ball when I play those brands.

Now I’ve never cut open a titleist ball to see if it’s off centre, but in my own experience I’ve never had a weird titleist ball that just doesn’t perform as expected. I can’t say that for other brands. This is why I begrudgingly pay more and get titleist.

Edited by philly2kuk
Damn autocorrect

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X
Titleist pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 6/21/2022 at 12:24 PM, t2490jh said:

I have been a Titleist Pro V1X player my whole life (apart from one year). Unbeknownst to me, I was not aware of the switch Titleist made with the flip flop in the V1 and V1x specs a few years ago. I found a few Pro V1 balls on my home course and started playing them. Being confused with the performance, I was a bit surprised on how the V1 was better than the V1X regarding spin and distance. Once I found out about the change, I sold all my remaining Pro V1X golf balls. I was disappointed with the compression and the spin on the new V1X version. So, I started my quest to get the perfect ball which fits my game.

My Equipment and Background:  I will be sixty-three this year and have a four handicap at my home course. I like playing at 6500-6700 yards. My driver swing speed is post 100 MPH and my average drive is 285-290. My 8-iron distance is 155 yards. I have the Srixon ZX7 irons with the Nippon 105 stiff shaft. My driver is the TM Sim2 head on a Ventus Black 6S shaft. This set up is only five months old. The easy decision would be to start paying for ProV1’s. But- I am cheap and I do not like paying $55 per dozen for golf balls. Below you will see the golf ball’s I have evaluated in the last month. I will tell you that I relied very heavily on the “My Spy Golf 2021 Golf Test” to select the following golf balls.

Titleist:  AVX, Tour Speed. Pro V1, Pro V1x

Srixon: Z-Star, Diamond, and XV

Callaway:  Chrome Soft

Taylor Made: TP5

Bridgestone:  Tour XS and Tour RX

Out of the bunch I had picked the Titleist Tour Speed - Until this happened. I bought a mallet putter back in September. With this putter I could not pick up the golf ball and had to bend down.  I was hitting too many golf balls during this testing process and figure that I was bending down 200-250 times per round picking up golf balls. Long story short, I would fatigue my legs to the point that I was not playing very well the last 4-5 holes.  I went back to my old-style putter and problem solved (scoop type). However, I absolutely hated the Tour Speed off my new putter. No feel and my distance control was lacking. Side note:  From the balls tested above my second favorite was the Bridgestone RX.  Then I decided to try the Maxfli Tour Ball. All I can say is wow. Below is my summary of the Pro V1, Tour Speed and Maxfli. Now keep in mind that the Pro V1 is the standard everyone wants to get to. This review is in no way saying the Maxfli is the same class as the Pro V1.   Believe me, if I could get the Pro V’s1 at $30 a dozen all my problems would disappear.

Here is my analysis of the Pro V1 vs Titleist Tour Speed vs Maxfli Tour.

Driving:  Tour Speed > Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour. On average the distance was 5-7 yards further. What I did not like on the Tour Speed was peak height. Extremely low. Similar to the AVX. I liked the peak height on the Pro V1 vs the Maxfli (but only slightly).

180-220 Yard Shots:  Pro V1 & Maxfli Tour > Titleist Tour. The spin on the Pro V1 and Maxfli were remarkably similar. This is where I hated the Tour Speed. On average the balls would not check up and run out at least 10-20 yards. Great for not hitting a ball pure, but not on precision. I would rather hit a ball well and have predictability vs. run out.

160 Yards In:  Pro V1 & Maxfli> Tour Speed. The Maxfli and Pro V1 were remarkably close in performance. The Tour Speed would run out 10-25 feet. The Maxfli was also ½ club longer than the Tour Speed. The Pro V1 was in between the Maxfli and Tour Speed. Both the Maxfli and Pro V1 did the one hop and stop routine.

One hundred Yards In:  This is where the Maxfli really excelled. For my swing and equipment, the Maxfli beat the Pro V1. One hop and stop (better spin control). I will tell you that my swing is on the steeper side and that I have always create enough spin naturally. I would have to judge a little bit more run out on the Tour Speed. The Pro V1 had a little bit more spin for me. Not a terrible thing but the Maxfli was more predictable.

Putting:  Pro V1 and Maxfli is a push. Tour speed is too soft. Distance control was off. But this is based off my new putter, not my old putter.

Compression:  I have always loved the old formula of the V1X (which is now the Pro V1). There is no better feel. However. I was shocked how close the Maxfli was. The feel of the Tour Speed was not as good. However, the distance was always surprising.

Durability:  Pro V1 > Maxfli = Tour Speed:  I played two balls of each for 18 holes. Nothing compares to the Titleist. However, the Tour Speed has a dull matt finish which I really do not like. Durability was fine. The Maxfli will shed paint when hitting a wedge in the grooves. However, after cleaning the balls I was surprised how good they still looked. As a side note, I found the Maxfli Gloss White balls to be more durable than Srixon or Bridgestone.

Sound:  Pro V1 > Maxfli > Tour Speed. Separation was small between Pro V1 and Maxfli. Enormous difference between Maxfli and Tour Speed.

This is my review based on my game. Do not make the same mistake I made and not try the Maxfli golf balls due to a biased opinion. Are they the same as Pro V1 – no they are not. However, for the money they are excellent. For my first round using these golf balls I hit 14 GIR and had six good birdie chances (converted two but skimmed the cup on four). As a decent amateur am I happy with Maxfli - absolutely yes.

I have never and will never touch a Titleist product. Bias aside, I’m a huge fan of the Maxfli Tour.

In the bag:

9 Degree BOM w/ Aldila NVS 65

17 Degree BOM 4 Wood w/ Aldila NVS 65

21 Degree Dynacraft Utility Iron

4-PW, 52, 56, 60 Alpha MDC Irons & Wedges w/ Apollo Acculite 95 Shafts

Star Sidewinder Midsize Grips

32” Callaway Divine Line Putter 

Grata review.  I am in a similar boat.  I have some V1’s to use up - they are ok but lower flight and lower spin than what I want.  I just got new i525 irons this year and noticed both height and spin difference fro my older irons.  They still perform but I picked up some Snell Black and B XS sleeves and liked both of them better than the V1.  

Like the B XS for the spin and the black  height.  Looks like I need to try some Maxfli’s.  

Titleist TSI3 - 9 degree w/Tensei AV Orange S 65
Ping 5 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75

Ping 7 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75
Titleist TSi2 21 
Ping i525 - AWT 2.0 Stiff + .25” - Green Dot (5-GW)
Ping Glide 4.0 (54 & 58)
Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Wide Blade / Ping Anser2
Pro V1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, t2490jh said:

This is my review based on my game. Do not make the same mistake I made and not try the Maxfli golf balls due to a biased opinion. Are they the same as Pro V1 – no they are not.

... You seem to indicate through your testing that the ProV1 and Maxfli Tour perform virtually identical for your game, so not sure why you say they are not. For me, they are the same as far as performance. Granted no premium ball is as durable as the ProV1 and I have to assume quality control is better as one poster said every ball in every sleeve is exactly the same. But the Maxfli comes close enough in quality and of course performance to justify the insane difference in price. Constantly on sale at 4 dozen for $104 for the Maxfli's compared to 4 dozen at $200 for the ProV1's and playing 5 times week I have been using the Maxfli Tour and could not be happier with my choice. Ironically a couple times this past season I had higher index golfers I was paired up say they were surprised I could shoot under par with a "discount ball" and not use a ProV1. These aren't even golf forum players but the idea that single digit players only use ProV1's is pretty prevalent and why these threads are so important. 

• Like 4

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Titleist, like others have variances from golf ball to golf ball. The idea that they make a perfect golf ball every time is simply not true. Even the other site shows that. NOBODY makes a “perfect” golf ball…. Now that being said, it would be more interesting to see what is the performance difference in one or two compression points, or a little heavier ball….

4AB8AAD7-64BE-427A-8C63-72DF11A71272.jpeg

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I’ve been a ProV1 player my whole life. It’s the ball I used in college and it’s just been habit since then. Was experimenting with the Tour B X this year, and I was loving them except they didn’t spin enough on wedges for me. A friend of mine who works at golf galaxy told me to try these out and I was blown away, especially for the price (picked them up on the 4dz/$100 deal). As someone who plays 100+ rounds a year, balls can get expensive - especially during the fall when I’m losing balls that are a foot or two off the fairway but the leaves are falling. A lot of people will turn their nose up at these because of the brand, but that’s a big mistake considering the performance to the ProV1 was so similar for ME but of course YMMV. May go back to Golf Galaxy tomorrow and get another 4 dozen to last me through the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

Update:  Two more rounds with the Maxfil Tour vs Pro V1  

I eliminated the Titleist Tour Speed in this comparison.

Driving Peak Height:  Pro V1 still better than Maxfli (only slightly)

Distance:  Push - a few yards with either ball.

200 Yards In - Pro V1 > Maxfli (only slightly due to a bit more spin)

150 Yards In - Maxfli > Pro V1.   Distance control and spin were better during these two rounds than my initial testing.  

100 Yards In - Maxfli > Pro V1.  Same comments as before.  The ball shines in this area.

Chipping:  Push.  Starting to get into the groove chipping with the Maxfli.  Ball can really checkup.  The Pro V1 has a little more run out. 

Putting:  Pro V1 > Maxfli.  I believe the more I become familiar with the Maxfli this will change.

Just bought two more dozen of the Maxfli this weekend. 

• Like 3

I was feeling pretty good about my 230-250 yd drives at 55 and 140-145 yd 8 iron.  Well you guys blew that all to S**t!  🤦‍♂️

That being said.....I've really come to the conclusion that the Maxfli Tour is my new gamer over the TP5.  I just like the feel and confidence better.  My casual and practice rounds are generally Ksig 2.0.  I'm still playing Snell MTB-X yellow as I have about 2 dozen left from a birthday gift.  The only disappointment I have with the Maxfli Tour is that they don't sell the 4 doz. pack in gloss yellow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys have sold me. Once my stock of lost golf ball prov1 and my Father’s Day z star xv are done, I’ll convert. Sounds like great distance and spin when you need it. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

I've been playing the Bridgestone RXS but it is almost as expensive as the PROV1. I was going to try the TM Tour Response, I have a buddy that loves that ball but the 2022 version's price is creeping up. I'm going to give the Maxfli Tour a shot.

Rogue ST LS
Rogue ST Max 15

UW 19

Epic 4H
New Level 902 OS 5-PW
SM5 48.10F, Raw Jaws 52.10S, 60.10 FT

LAB Link1

Thanks for the discussion.  I was in Dicks in Colorado Springs and they had the 4 dozen for $104.  While waiting for my wife to get a pedicure, read this and a few other articles on the comparison. 

I only play Pro V1 or V1x that I find (not in ponds), would not pay the premium for them.  I have played Chrome Soft/Soft X, moved to TP5x and recently to TP5.  I tried Tour Response, but didn't like how little they spin.  Nor did I like how they feel chipping and putting.  I haven't tried AVX. 

Got 4 dozen Maxfli Tour and tried them out last night.  Let's just say I was suitably impressed.  Great distance, feel great coming off the club, good height, stopped nicely (our greens have been getting a bit of rain so they are softer than in the spring when you couldn't leave a ball mark).  Felt really good off the putter, good distance control. 

I think I'm sold on these Maxfli Tour.  I thought of trying the Tour x, but realistically my swing speed is no longer where it used to be. 

• Like 2