2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

35 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Thanks! Picked up a UB 6 for $116 shipped! Crazy good deal. I havent looked at the shaft section in quite a while. Wonder by the UB's are so much cheaper? All the others are like $200-350

Maybe there's an overstock?  I have a feeling you will be picking up a VF as well as soon as the price drops on them, lol. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Maybe there's an overstock?  I have a feeling you will be picking up a VF as well as soon as the price drops on them, lol. 

The one I picked up for $110 was 'average' condition so probably a demo day shaft. Maybe some rubbing on it with scratches? Not sure. They have plenty 'like new' ones for only $140 after discount, though.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JAWS RAW + MODUS120 / '14 NWPT 2 + GPS

Just now, third-times-a-charm said:

The one I picked up for $110 was 'average' condition so probably a demo day shaft. Maybe some rubbing on it with scratches? Not sure. They have plenty 'like new' ones for only $140 after discount, though.

That's probably it.  Hopefully the UB gives you the numbers you're looking for. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

That's probably it.  Hopefully the UB gives you the numbers you're looking for. 

It might, but I remember hating it. I tested it on page 1 of this thread 😂 Gotta go back and read my notes. 

I just had a lesson and swing change a few weeks ago so I'm open to testing it again. And for $100 I can't complain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JAWS RAW + MODUS120 / '14 NWPT 2 + GPS

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Thanks! Picked up a UB 6 for $116 shipped! Crazy good deal. I havent looked at the shaft section in quite a while. Wonder by the UB's are so much cheaper? All the others are like $200-350

I was wondering that too- same with the HD’s. I guess there isn’t as much demand for them. 

Those are unbelievable deals on those GD shafts.

@third-times-a-charm I started laughing when reading about your re-purchase since I remembered page 1 and the UB trials. Some of that information pushed me over the edge to get my UB in my 21* UW. 

My order just arrived today from CPO. I picked up a Paradym 10.5* with GD XC 6s. I should have looked at the shaft section when I was trading in some old equipment that was lingering. The deal was so good I basically picked up the head or shaft for free after the promotion, trade in and points. Win win. 

This will be going up against my Epic Max LS 10.5* with IZ 6s/x. This is a really good combo for me, but was hoping per the XC feedback it provides a lower trajectory and a bit less spin. I am really just looking for a second driver setup so will be tinkering over next 2 weeks with settings and head/shaft combos. I re-gripped the XC tonight so debating on going straight to the course in the morning with no swings or waiting until Sunday’s tee time after a quick range session tomorrow. I am out since I have to overthink which driver is going straight to the tee box in less than 7 hours.  

• Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

In everyone’s opinion. I know it’s subjective and swing dependent but, which Tour AD has the biggest KICK feeling? XC? UB?

Edited by duffputter

Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X 45.25"
Callaway Paradym 15* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDUS Black Gen 4 70g 6.0

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50*08* F / 54*12*D/ 58*12*D
LAB DF3 34*/69* 

1 hour ago, duffputter said:

In everyone’s opinion. I know it’s subjective and swing dependent but, which Tour AD has the biggest KICK feeling? XC? UB?

Hmmm......that's a tough one.  They both feel very linear with very little kick.  Honestly, neither one of them had more kick than the other for me.  Now, if you're talking the entire lineup, the CQ and DI both kicked like a mule to me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, duffputter said:

To me The VR, DI, and CQ have the most kick

For kick of the GDs I have tried, DI was the most obvious pop in 6S form. Give the OG a swing, see how it performs for you. I liked it but it also felt a tad loose to me, so on advice of this thread and research I tried a few others and am in a TP with an IZ back up (less kick on the IZ, pretty smooth TP) 🙂

So I mentioned a few posts back I got my wife an AD UB 4R2 to replace her AD GP 4R2; trying to get a bit more launch. This has to have been a few weeks, now. I built the shaft up and put it in her bag with the driver head expecting us to demo it sometime soon so I dont get yelled at for 'changing her stuff'. No joke it's a stab-able offense to change a wife's equipment.

Well, its been a while since I built it and she decided to go play in today's 9-hole league. She ran out of the house this morning before I could tell her there's a new shaft in her driver. Oops. lol

She gets to the range and texts me 'I see the new shaft - not horrible'.

Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

She then goes to birdie a Par 5 in her match and almost winning the long drive hole.

Me: "See, I told you to always trust me!"

f497497970ab79448e4656bf1c66f274.jpg

I live to see another day. The end.

• Haha 2

Did some testing with the UB today. Dont know why I didnt like it before but I kind of mentally committed to giving it a try today - along with a new swing - and it worked out pretty well. Here's some numbers:

Numbers go Carry - SS - BS - Launch - Spin - Smash - height - Flight Time

Rogue ST Max 9* (N/+1*) w/ AD UB

Avg - 225.6 95.7 140.7 15.9 2822 1.47 101.7 6.7

Paradym 10.5* w/ AD UB (D/S) Fade Weight

Avg - 219.7 96.8 138.5 16.2 3130 1.43 103.2 6.7

Paradym 10.5* w/ AD TP (D/S Flat) Fade Weight

Avg - 220.2 97.1 138.9 15.1 2960 1.43 94.7

**Rogue ST Max 9* w/ AD TP (N/S Flat) (Previous swing session, not today, so just for reference with the TP in the ST head)

Avg - 222.6 94.9 140.4 16.5 3274 1.48 109.9 6.9

**Paradym 10.5* w/ AD TP (N/S Flat) (previous day/session again to compare)

Avg - 217.4 94.7 137.5 16.8 3200 1.45 106.3 6.7

So, the new swing I've been trying to put together has provided a solid 3MPH+ SS increase so today's numbers are probably the best comparison together. I added two sessions from previous days out.

The Rogue ST with the UB seems like the winner overall. These numbers also dont include roll I believe it's just carry on my little MEVO monitor. Funny that the Rogue ST gives me the best ball speed over the Paradym regardless of shaft.

The AD TP seems to be higher spin overall with the AD UB providing just enough removal of spin/launch even with slightly increased SS.

My MEVO is also not a super good launch monitor and it's short on distance usually, but comparing within itself is usually fine.

In the specs above I included the Callaway adapter settings. I was playing the Rogue @ +1* with the UB, but not with the TP. Spin was already high with the TP IMO so didnt need to go +1 in that config. I could do more testing with that I guess. The Paradym was also @ D3 and the Rogue ST was @ D4. 

Looks like the AD UB will unseat the TP for the time being pending some on-course testing.

7 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Did some testing with the UB today. Dont know why I didnt like it before but I kind of mentally committed to giving it a try today - along with a new swing - and it worked out pretty well. Here's some numbers:

Numbers go Carry - SS - BS - Launch - Spin - Smash - height - Flight Time

Rogue ST Max 9* (N/+1*) w/ AD UB

Avg - 225.6 95.7 140.7 15.9 2822 1.47 101.7 6.7

Paradym 10.5* w/ AD UB (D/S) Fade Weight

Avg - 219.7 96.8 138.5 16.2 3130 1.43 103.2 6.7

Paradym 10.5* w/ AD TP (D/S Flat) Fade Weight

Avg - 220.2 97.1 138.9 15.1 2960 1.43 94.7

**Rogue ST Max 9* w/ AD TP (N/S Flat) (Previous swing session, not today, so just for reference with the TP in the ST head)

Avg - 222.6 94.9 140.4 16.5 3274 1.48 109.9 6.9

**Paradym 10.5* w/ AD TP (N/S Flat) (previous day/session again to compare)

Avg - 217.4 94.7 137.5 16.8 3200 1.45 106.3 6.7

So, the new swing I've been trying to put together has provided a solid 3MPH+ SS increase so today's numbers are probably the best comparison together. I added two sessions from previous days out.

The Rogue ST with the UB seems like the winner overall. These numbers also dont include roll I believe it's just carry on my little MEVO monitor. Funny that the Rogue ST gives me the best ball speed over the Paradym regardless of shaft.

The AD TP seems to be higher spin overall with the AD UB providing just enough removal of spin/launch even with slightly increased SS.

My MEVO is also not a super good launch monitor and it's short on distance usually, but comparing within itself is usually fine.

In the specs above I included the Callaway adapter settings. I was playing the Rogue @ +1* with the UB, but not with the TP. Spin was already high with the TP IMO so didnt need to go +1 in that config. I could do more testing with that I guess. The Paradym was also @ D3 and the Rogue ST was @ D4. 

Looks like the AD UB will unseat the TP for the time being pending some on-course testing.

Woah. Not a single TP in the signature?! 

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / Miura TC-201 6-PW + PX 6.0  / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

17 minutes ago, jbeer7375 said:

Woah. Not a single TP in the signature?! 

I still have my TPs, theyre just being rotated out right now due to more testing. So, another thing I have going on is a last minute change to my fairway woods.

Want to see some numbers and a story? 😂 I had two Paradym woods with TPs - but I just found two new tour issue models of my favorite fairway wood ever the Mavrik Max for a song so I decided to buy them and shaft them up with the GP's I have laying around one last time.

The best 3 wood I've ever had/hit was a Mavrik Max TC 3 wood with a GP 7 so when this 3+ wood and 7 wood popped up I grabbed them.

Heres some numbers:

Carry - SS - BS - Launch - Spin - Smash - height - Flight Time

Mavrik Max 3+ w/ GP 6

Avg - 207.7 90.6 133.2 14.3 2715 1.47 79.5

Avg - 204.1 91.5 131.2 17 3290 1.43 98 6.4

Mavrik Max 7 w/ GP 7

Avg - 196.5 87.5 127.9 16 3351 1.46 87.5 6.2

Avg - 192.9 88.9 125.9 19.9 3577 1.42 109 6.6

Paradym 5 w/ TP 7

Avg - 197.6 90 126.2 19.1 2734 1.4 98.7 6.3

Avg - 195 91.5 127.6 18.8 3633 1.4 104.3 6.5

Paradym 3 (N/+1*)

Avg - 200.4 89.4 130.2 18 3663 1.46 105.8 6.6

I use the 3 wood primarily off the tee but if I hit a perfect drive on a Par 5 I can potentially use it off the fairway to hit a green in two but thats only 1-2 chances per round. 

The 3+ is longer and deeper-faced so probably a better tee club. The GP 6 keeps the spin down nicely and feels good as well. The Paradym 3 with the TP is shorter and spinnier and probably more versatile if I want to his those greens although between the two sessions above you can see one day I was above 3k spin with the Mavrik 3+ and today i was below 3k with a lower peak height by far.

The Mavrik 7 wood keeps an okay spin window around 3500 and the GP 7 tames the numbers and peak height with this club as well. Distance, launch, and spin between the Mavrik 7 and the Paradym 5 is a wash (wish I knew the actual loft of the Mavrik TC head as it could be lower than stated). I'm playing them both at 41.5" and D3 so no difference there. The 5/7 woods make more sense to hit greens with being theyre guaranteed to be mid-3000's spin. The Paradym 5 does give me superior CHS, though, in both sessions.

I guess the advantage of the Mavrik 7 over the Paradym 5 all things being equal is the ability to hit a high stock shot and lower it if need be even with the GP 7. Tbh I'm not really good enough to consider changing my swing mid-round but you know, it's nice to say 😂

• Like 2

I read a lot about how the DI wood shafts kicks a lot and I was afraid to try it out in my hybrids. I picked up a Ventus Hybrid 8S a while back and wasn’t a big fan, although it was a little shorter than my Atmos Blue TS 8S. It felt like it had a more kick than my Atmos and I wasn’t very comfortable with how I had to time it.

I picked up a DI 8S after reading on this thread that the hybrids aren’t the same as the woods. I tested it in both my 21° and my 19° 818h1 and really liked it in both. I am going to throw it in my 19° to test. I took it out to the range today and I’m liking the accuracy and flight. I’m going to play my first round with it tomorrow and will see how it plays. It seems like a slightly higher flight, with good dispersion and little effort. I switched back and forth between the DI and the Atmos and really liked the DI. If this goes well, I may pick up another one for my 21°.

I also bought a new HD 7S for my 3HL that should be coming in later this week. I had forgotten that I raised the loft on the adapter two ticks on my Taylormade adapter. I turned it down 1 tick and the flight and spin are much better. I’m hoping the HD 7S will also help. 

Now I feel like I belong in this thread. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonflesh said:

Might have been asked before but for those using VR in the driver, what are you using in your fairway?

I was thinking of trying the iz in my 3 wood. Seems very similar with a slightly softer tip. 

VR 6S in driver, DI 7S in 3 wood.

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

XC 6s quick test this week and on the course today. 

I took out my new to me Paradym STD 10.5* with XC 6s from CPO. I am looking for a second setup to go along with my Epic Max LS 10.5* with IZ 6x/s. This has been a great setup for me for over a year. I thought this new set up would be a lower flighted club for windy days, with some extra run and extra forgiveness. This is really what I am looking for. Well, I thought this would be a second driver set up based on the shaft and head profiles. 

I hit a small bucket for a quick test session before the temp dropped earlier in the week.  I am used to this range so I can tell distance and flight pretty easily. Today, I wanted to see if what I was saw on the range was legit or was just a great day with a new club.  I can say this combo is flying higher and further for sure. Today, I played a course I know well and was hitting ball past my usual spots for sure. I was 1 club less on all approach shots today. I play again tomorrow at another regular course to see if this results keep up.

Next week, I will flip the Epic Max LS into the XC and Paradym into the IZ to see how these combo’s compare.  The LS/XC combo may produce the lower flight I am truly after for a second setup. But, the IZ/Paradym combo will be an interesting battle for sure. 

• Like 4

On 11/3/2023 at 11:05 PM, absoludicrous said:

I read a lot about how the DI wood shafts kicks a lot and I was afraid to try it out in my hybrids. I picked up a Ventus Hybrid 8S a while back and wasn’t a big fan, although it was a little shorter than my Atmos Blue TS 8S. It felt like it had a more kick than my Atmos and I wasn’t very comfortable with how I had to time it.

I picked up a DI 8S after reading on this thread that the hybrids aren’t the same as the woods. I tested it in both my 21° and my 19° 818h1 and really liked it in both. I am going to throw it in my 19° to test. I took it out to the range today and I’m liking the accuracy and flight. I’m going to play my first round with it tomorrow and will see how it plays. It seems like a slightly higher flight, with good dispersion and little effort. I switched back and forth between the DI and the Atmos and really liked the DI. If this goes well, I may pick up another one for my 21°.

I also bought a new HD 7S for my 3HL that should be coming in later this week. I had forgotten that I raised the loft on the adapter two ticks on my Taylormade adapter. I turned it down 1 tick and the flight and spin are much better. I’m hoping the HD 7S will also help. 

Now I feel like I belong in this thread. 😂

I didn’t get to hit the DI on the course as much as I was hoping to, but was pretty happy with the performance during a small warmup bucket and the few swings I made. 

I got a little higher launch than my Atmos Blue Tour Spec shaft and the same (if not more) distance. I felt like I didn’t have to swing so hard with the DI. I don’t know if I’m explaining it right, but it felt like the DI was softer and I had to put more effort into the stiffer Atmos shaft for similar performance. For me, putting more effort into the swing is possible but a lot less consistent and repeatable. It also felt like it was slightly stiffer and more stable than my Ventus HB. I definitely need more time, but I think I found a good balanced shaft that fits my swing. 

I found it funny that when I got home, YouTube recommended me this video and I had similar thoughts/performance as this guy. It looks like this was posted 7 months ago, but I just found it yesterday. I wasn’t sure whether my issues with the Ventus were because of the length of that shaft, but he seemed to have the same issues I noticed and so far the DI seems to help me avoid them. My bad swings are still hooking and no shafts will prevent the bad swings. But there were a couple that I thought I hit well that overdrew with the Ventus and with the DI, it was a slight draw. I’m typically a straight ball/fader, so seeing it go too left on a good shot will mess with my confidence and aim for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Alrighty heres some numbers from testing fairway woods and TP/DI/GP this week. Finally had another good day on the range.

First off, the Rogue ST Max and UB6 combo is still performing great. Havent kept my spin below 3000rpm consistently in a long time with the TP but now it's staying under there.

Two sessions with the UB6 on two different days:

Avg - 228.4 94.5 141.9 17.8 2896 1.5 118 7

Avg - 225.7 98.1 142.3 14 2873 1.45 90.8 6.4

Was swinging much faster in the second set but my launch angle was also much lower - my swing was a bit off but the numbers were still good so that was nice to see.

For the fairways:

Mavrik Max 7w w/ AD TP 7

Avg - 196 87.9 127.6 18.1 3523 1.45 100.7 6.4

Paradym 3w @ 15* w/ AD DI 7

Avg - 210.2 92.2 134.4 15.9 3139 1.46 94.9 6.4

Epic Max 5w w/ AD GP 7

Avg - 200.8 88.1 129.1 17 3105 1.47 93.7 6.3

Dev - 2.3 1.7 1.5 1 291 0.03 7.1 0.2

I definitely like the TP 7 in the 7 wood more than the GP 7. The Epic Max 5 wood with GP 7 is a real sleeper. Feels SO GOOD in my hands and so balanced. Look at the deviation table below the 5w numbers!

Tbh after seeing these numbers I dont know what to do.

My next club down is a 4h which looks like this:

Ping G430 4h 22@23* w/ AD Di Hyb 85

Avg - 186.8 86.5 125 17.8 4219 1.45 98.4 6.4

I could go 3w (more inconsistent, worse dispersion than 5w) and have a 205-215yd club and then the 7w or 5w, or I could do the 5w as the longest club at a VERY CONSISTENT 200yds but it's also very close in yardage to the 7w which is mostly a 190-195 club but I also snuck a 200yd and 205yd shot in there if the LM is to be believed.

I might try and cut down the 3w another 1/4-1/2" and see if that helps consistency. Currently it's a little over what I like to play. I also wish there was a way to dial back the 7w 1-2* to keep it at a consistent 195yds.

Here's what the 7w w/ AD GP 7 numbers look like without the 205yd 'flyer' in there:

Avg - 194.8 87.8 127.2 18.1 3593 1.45 100.4 6.4

Tbh thats closer to what I'd like to see in the gap and makes me feel better about going 5w-7w instead of 3w-5w or 3w-7w if I wanted to. I guess I just need to decide if I want to see 210yds-200yds after my 185yd 4h or 195yds-200yds.

• Like 3

On 11/5/2023 at 9:54 AM, absoludicrous said:

I didn’t get to hit the DI on the course as much as I was hoping to, but was pretty happy with the performance during a small warmup bucket and the few swings I made. 

I got a little higher launch than my Atmos Blue Tour Spec shaft and the same (if not more) distance. I felt like I didn’t have to swing so hard with the DI. I don’t know if I’m explaining it right, but it felt like the DI was softer and I had to put more effort into the stiffer Atmos shaft for similar performance. For me, putting more effort into the swing is possible but a lot less consistent and repeatable. It also felt like it was slightly stiffer and more stable than my Ventus HB. I definitely need more time, but I think I found a good balanced shaft that fits my swing. 

I found it funny that when I got home, YouTube recommended me this video and I had similar thoughts/performance as this guy. It looks like this was posted 7 months ago, but I just found it yesterday. I wasn’t sure whether my issues with the Ventus were because of the length of that shaft, but he seemed to have the same issues I noticed and so far the DI seems to help me avoid them. My bad swings are still hooking and no shafts will prevent the bad swings. But there were a couple that I thought I hit well that overdrew with the Ventus and with the DI, it was a slight draw. I’m typically a straight ball/fader, so seeing it go too left on a good shot will mess with my confidence and aim for the rest of the day.

I got some more range time and got another round in with the DI 85S Hybrid shaft and my new HD 7S 3HL shaft. I’m really liking the DI in my 19° 818H1. I’m getting very close distances to my 3HL (though slightly shorter) before my HD shaft on the range.

I got a pretty good deal on eBay for a new 46” HD shaft. They still have a lot more if anyone is interested. The seller said that they were not tipped, but I can’t find the ring measurement for the HD. I’ll need to reach out to Pro Choice to see if they have a new sheet. I can’t seem to find that anywhere.

I butt cut it down to 42.5” to aim for a playing length of 43.5”. It came out to around D3 with my M3 3HL Tour head that I added some lead tape. I had been struggling with my swing the last two weeks with all my clubs, so it was a little challenging to get consistent contact at times. I actually threw in my old Diamana Kaili 70 stiff to test compared to the Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. Surprisingly I was hitting the Kaili pretty consistent with good height and decent distance. All 3 shafts are the same length with the TM adapter. Honestly I replaced the Diamana because I was struggling with my 3HL a few years back and felt like I was overpowering it at times. Now I’m thinking that I was just struggling with my swing and used that as an excuse to try something new (the Atmos). I threw in the Fuji was the same predicable shaft that I have been playing for over a year. I had to put a bit of effort (maybe closer to ~90% effort swing) and I was hitting that very well. But anything less would be a little inconsistent and I don’t feel comfortable swinging that hard at all times. The Diamana required somewhere around 80-85% effort and I was getting similar performance. If I threw in 90% or more, I started to introduce left misses at times.

I throw in the HD and instantly I’m seeing a high drawing flight. That was about a 90% effort swing (coming off of the Fuji shaft) and had to dial it back a bit for my preferred straight/slight fade swing. When I put a bad swing, I would see a very hard pull hook and that scared me on the range. Like I said earlier, I have been trying to figure out something in my swing and was starting to improve going into the weekend. It was hard to tell the exact distance as I was practicing in the evening and there aren’t lights past 200 yards. It looked like a similar distance as the Atmos from what I could tell.

Played a round this weekend and got to hit both shafts. I got two swings in with the hybrid DI shaft and both really surprised me with the slight draw flight with my preferred swing (vs. the more effort needed to properly load my Atmos). I’m really loving the DI and really considering picking up another to add to my 22°. For something that loads as easily as the DI, I’ve had problems with left misses. The DI seems to be stable for the way I swing and doesn’t require so much effort. I’m getting really consistent distance and ball flight.

I hit one of my two 3HL swings with the HD off the tee as my first swing of the day. I didn’t get to warm up before the 1st hole. I took a bad over the top swing and hit a slight pull down the middle of the fairway. It held up to my crappy swing. Successful swing #1. 

I hit a bad pull fade on a long 470 yard Par 4 about 210 yards. I take the 3HL knowing I had 250 to the front and I typically average around 235 with that club and my lie is not very good. The group was on the green, but it was a back flag to around 260 that I know I couldn’t reach. I take a decent swing from the deeper rough and it’s right on the right side of the fairway. I was afraid of that left miss from the range, but I had to test out the new HD. I end up catching it cleaner than I thought and hit a medium flight runner to 225 yards and i see the group turn around to look at my ball. That’s not something I would even get close to with my old Atmos shaft and my miss would usually go further right into the other side of the rough or a short duff/top. Successful swing #2. 

I figured out my issue in my swing yesterday and went to the range to test it out today. Now my 3HL shots are much better. Now I know I’m getting further distance than my old Atmos, with higher flight and less effort. I’m able to consistently hit this shaft better for now and I am pretty happy with the purchase. It is funny that I didn’t get along with the HD in a driver. But I’m glad it’s working pretty well so far on my fairway. I’ll need to give it more time since I only got 2 shots into a round under pressure, but both Graphite Design shaft changes have impressed me so far. I’ve been converted. Sign me up for the fan club.

4 minutes ago, absoludicrous said:

I got some more range time and got another round in with the DI 85S Hybrid shaft and my new HD 7S 3HL shaft. I’m really liking the DI in my 19° 818H1. I’m getting very close distances to my 3HL (though slightly shorter) before my HD shaft on the range.

I got a pretty good deal on eBay for a new 46” HD shaft. They still have a lot more if anyone is interested. The seller said that they were not tipped, but I can’t find the ring measurement for the HD. I’ll need to reach out to Pro Choice to see if they have a new sheet. I can’t seem to find that anywhere.

I butt cut it down to 42.5” to aim for a playing length of 43.5”. It came out to around D3 with my M3 3HL Tour head that I added some lead tape. I had been struggling with my swing the last two weeks with all my clubs, so it was a little challenging to get consistent contact at times. I actually threw in my old Diamana Kaili 70 stiff to test compared to the Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. Surprisingly I was hitting the Kaili pretty consistent with good height and decent distance. All 3 shafts are the same length with the TM adapter. Honestly I replaced the Diamana because I was struggling with my 3HL a few years back and felt like I was overpowering it at times. Now I’m thinking that I was just struggling with my swing and used that as an excuse to try something new (the Atmos). I threw in the Fuji was the same predicable shaft that I have been playing for over a year. I had to put a bit of effort (maybe closer to ~90% effort swing) and I was hitting that very well. But anything less would be a little inconsistent and I don’t feel comfortable swinging that hard at all times. The Diamana required somewhere around 80-85% effort and I was getting similar performance. If I threw in 90% or more, I started to introduce left misses at times.

I throw in the HD and instantly I’m seeing a high drawing flight. That was about a 90% effort swing (coming off of the Fuji shaft) and had to dial it back a bit for my preferred straight/slight fade swing. When I put a bad swing, I would see a very hard pull hook and that scared me on the range. Like I said earlier, I have been trying to figure out something in my swing and was starting to improve going into the weekend. It was hard to tell the exact distance as I was practicing in the evening and there aren’t lights past 200 yards. It looked like a similar distance as the Atmos from what I could tell.

Played a round this weekend and got to hit both shafts. I got two swings in with the hybrid DI shaft and both really surprised me with the slight draw flight with my preferred swing (vs. the more effort needed to properly load my Atmos). I’m really loving the DI and really considering picking up another to add to my 22°. For something that loads as easily as the DI, I’ve had problems with left misses. The DI seems to be stable for the way I swing and doesn’t require so much effort. I’m getting really consistent distance and ball flight.

I hit one of my two 3HL swings with the HD off the tee as my first swing of the day. I didn’t get to warm up before the 1st hole. I took a bad over the top swing and hit a slight pull down the middle of the fairway. It held up to my crappy swing. Successful swing #1. 

I hit a bad pull fade on a long 470 yard Par 4 about 210 yards. I take the 3HL knowing I had 250 to the front and I typically average around 235 with that club and my lie is not very good. The group was on the green, but it was a back flag to around 260 that I know I couldn’t reach. I take a decent swing from the deeper rough and it’s right on the right side of the fairway. I was afraid of that left miss from the range, but I had to test out the new HD. I end up catching it cleaner than I thought and hit a medium flight runner to 225 yards and i see the group turn around to look at my ball. That’s not something I would even get close to with my old Atmos shaft and my miss would usually go further right into the other side of the rough or a short duff/top. Successful swing #2. 

I figured out my issue in my swing yesterday and went to the range to test it out today. Now my 3HL shots are much better. Now I know I’m getting further distance than my old Atmos, with higher flight and less effort. I’m able to consistently hit this shaft better for now and I am pretty happy with the purchase. It is funny that I didn’t get along with the HD in a driver. But I’m glad it’s working pretty well so far on my fairway. I’ll need to give it more time since I only got 2 shots into a round under pressure, but both Graphite Design shaft changes have impressed me so far. I’ve been converted. Sign me up for the fan club.

Tipping instructions is the same for the HD as the other new model graphics. 24.75" from tip to first ring means it is untipped.

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / Miura TC-201 6-PW + PX 6.0  / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

34 minutes ago, jbeer7375 said:

Tipping instructions is the same for the HD as the other new model graphics. 24.75" from tip to first ring means it is untipped.

Thanks! I may want to consider tipping it in the future.

This extra height I’m seeing looks great, but I’m not sure how much extra spin is being generated. I’ll need to get on a launch monitor to confirm or play more rounds and see the real world performance with winds, imperfect lies, etc. Not the greatest name selection, but great shaft! 😂

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:03 PM, hitnfades said:

XC 6s quick test this week and on the course today. 

I took out my new to me Paradym STD 10.5* with XC 6s from CPO. I am looking for a second setup to go along with my Epic Max LS 10.5* with IZ 6x/s. This has been a great setup for me for over a year. I thought this new set up would be a lower flighted club for windy days, with some extra run and extra forgiveness. This is really what I am looking for. Well, I thought this would be a second driver set up based on the shaft and head profiles. 

I hit a small bucket for a quick test session before the temp dropped earlier in the week.  I am used to this range so I can tell distance and flight pretty easily. Today, I wanted to see if what I was saw on the range was legit or was just a great day with a new club.  I can say this combo is flying higher and further for sure. Today, I played a course I know well and was hitting ball past my usual spots for sure. I was 1 club less on all approach shots today. I play again tomorrow at another regular course to see if this results keep up.

Next week, I will flip the Epic Max LS into the XC and Paradym into the IZ to see how these combo’s compare.  The LS/XC combo may produce the lower flight I am truly after for a second setup. But, the IZ/Paradym combo will be an interesting battle for sure. 

Follow up after 5 rounds and different setups. Playing the same courses as well to make this comparison. The weather last weekend in our area was a bit of an issue, but not enough to cause concerns with the results.  

Setups:

- XC 6s & Paradym Standard 10.5* - 2 rounds

- IZ 6s & Paradym Standard 10.5* - 2 rounds

- XC 6s & Epic Max LS 10.5* - 1 round 

Side note: The Paradym and XC are new to me about 3.5 weeks ago. I have been playing the Epic Max LS with IZ for about 1.5 years along with an Epic Speed 9* or 10.5* heads for even longer. These driver shafts are not tipped.  

The XC is a beast for me. That is really difficult to say since I really like the IZ and why I have 3 IZ driver shafts and 1 in my 17* Apex UW. I should say I only have 2 IZ’s after this weekend...  I have been playing the IZ 6x/s for the past 2 years or so. But, with the XC I am seeing my spin down, a mid/high penetrating flight and 1 club less into the greens than in the past.  I really like the more linear feel vs the smooth kick with the IZ. I feel like with the kick of the IZ I can sometimes lose the feel and leave the face open if not fully dialed in with my driver swing. Add the spin/launch in and that can be in the right side trees quick for me. I feel like with the XC I really have to be swinging bad to miss way right or left. Oddly, the XC shaft has a similar linear feel to my Tensei CK Pro Orange 80s hybrid shafts in a pair of Epic Flash hybrids. These 2 shafts really pair up with my swing with a strong flight and just go straight for me. Something about the linear feel of these shafts just work well with my swing.

The Paradym Standard 10.5* is a great head combo with the XC. The Paradym is extremely forgiving when comparing these 3 Epic heads and less fade biased compared to the Max LS from my recent rounds and minimal range time. I have hit some of my longest drives in the past few weeks with the Paradym and/or XC shaft in either head. But, today the Epic Max LS 10.5* held its own paired with XC as well.

The Paradym XC combo will move into the bag as my primary setup. While, the Epic Max LS with IZ will stay around for back up or for the Max LS with XC on windy days. The Max LS for me has a lower flight than the Paradym after these few rounds/range time. My original goal was to play the Paradym with the IZ as my primary set up and Epic Max LS with XC for windy days. I never would have predicted this scenario with the XC after reading Wrx threads and watching/reading reviews across the wizard box. 

So, in true Wrx spirit I spoke to my builder this week and traded 1 of my IZ’s in for another XC. We are just straight swapping shafts and he is going to just charge me for gripping/adapter install. Yes, apparently I spend too much money there so he was generous. I will now have 2 IZ and 2 XC drivers shafts: 1 of each playing standard Callaway playing length and 1 of each playing 1 inch short. I usually play a shorter driver shaft in the winter or if I had a long layoff from playing if the kids schedule are crazy.

Well, the current GD Tour AD line up is strong in this household. I will have to stop following everyone’s updates so closely to limit the damage on the household with the holiday’s approaching.

Current GD shafts in Cally heads as of this week:

- IZ - driver/17* UW shafts x 3

- XC - driver shafts x 2

- UB - 3 wood/21* UW x 2

- DI - 19* UW x 1

- DI Hybrid - UT irons x 2

• Like 3

Looking for driver shaft advice. I recently put a VR 7 in my sim2 titanium and it’s definitely the best combo of club/shaft I’ve ever had. I love the feel of the vr. I tried an IZ in my driver shaft but didn’t like that as much so moving that on. I’m hunting for a vr driver shaft but wondering if there are any other options to look out for? As mentioned live the feel of the VR so wouldn’t mind something similar. Higher flight is always a bonus. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grantley88 said:

Looking for driver shaft advice. I recently put a VR 7 in my sim2 titanium and it’s definitely the best combo of club/shaft I’ve ever had. I love the feel of the vr. I tried an IZ in my driver shaft but didn’t like that as much so moving that on. I’m hunting for a vr driver shaft but wondering if there are any other options to look out for? As mentioned live the feel of the VR so wouldn’t mind something similar. Higher flight is always a bonus. 

In the current line VR and CQ are in that might launch and mid kick feeling area.

• Like 1

CQ has a pronounced kick in the mid section that is similar to the VR when I tested it.  Both are mid-high launch/mid spin.  If you're open to other brands, the Kai'li Red is similar to the VR as well although not quite as smooth.

On 11/20/2023 at 1:59 AM, grantley88 said:

Edited by phizzy30

Hey all,

Just played my friends GD shaft this week... Ad tp 6x untipped.  Very nice, love the feel... My gamer is a Ventus Red 6x tipped 1.75.  TP launched and spun a little high, Ventus feels more distinct unloading near bottom 1/3 of shaft.   I've seen the EI graphs of ventus red, kk XT (played previously) and ad xc... Very similar with xt having that mid bump stiffness while XC/red are somewhat similar in that area- XC just has a stiffer handle it seems.  

Thoughts on XC vs TP in 6x?  I'm around 115 so should I entertain TX?  The TP felt stable at 6x but definitely more active.