2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

Looking for a little advice from Graphite Design fans:

I’m planning to order a 19 degree Apex UW when the new one launches for preorders on Friday. I have a bunch of CallawayGolf.com credit, so I want to give it a try, and I’ll return it and get the credit back if it doesn’t work.

My problem with the previous version of the UW was it launched and spun too low, and therefore went a bit too far for my gapping. As a lefty, I can’t get the 21 degree, but given Johnny Wunder’s comments in the TXG video about the new one spinning a little more, I’d like to give it a go.

What Graphite Design shaft would you go with if you were looking for something mid-soft, that might kick up launch and spin a little, but where the standard 1.25” tipping that Callaway does wouldn’t be a bad fit with the profile?

I’ve been curious to try the CQ but I know it’s a softer tipped shaft and was afraid the  tipping might make it play differently.

I’m thinking maybe the DI or VR? I’ve played both before but it’s been long enough that I’m having a hard time remembering the differences clearly.

I don’t really have a way to try these combos — but, like I said, I already have the CallawayGolf.com credit, so I can try and return and try again and it’s no money out of my pocket.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

i understand about the callaway credit, but u should try the Titleist TSr2. I have a 21 and 24 degree and they are so much better then anything I have had before. The shafts certainly play a part but the Head is that good. I compared it directly to the Paradym, Apex, BB, Mizuno stx-230 and Steath 2, and Ping G430. I have the HY in the 21 degree because it flies a little higher and the DI in the 24, love both

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I currently game the Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 6.0 70g in my BRNR mini. (Driver SS is 103 mph) I love it and deiced to get the same shaft for my driver. But even with my driver in the lower setting (Face open) I still miss it left way too often. I'm looking into getting my first GD shaft. What would be a good option?

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / MP 223 6-PW + $ -TPR 120 / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

I’m planning to order a 19 degree Apex UW when the new one launches for preorders on Friday. I have a bunch of CallawayGolf.com credit, so I want to give it a try, and I’ll return it and get the credit back if it doesn’t work.

My problem with the previous version of the UW was it launched and spun too low, and therefore went a bit too far for my gapping. As a lefty, I can’t get the 21 degree, but given Johnny Wunder’s comments in the TXG video about the new one spinning a little more, I’d like to give it a go.

What Graphite Design shaft would you go with if you were looking for something mid-soft, that might kick up launch and spin a little, but where the standard 1.25” tipping that Callaway does wouldn’t be a bad fit with the profile?

I’ve been curious to try the CQ but I know it’s a softer tipped shaft and was afraid the  tipping might make it play differently.

I’m thinking maybe the DI or VR? I’ve played both before but it’s been long enough that I’m having a hard time remembering the differences clearly.

I don’t really have a way to try these combos — but, like I said, I already have the CallawayGolf.com credit, so I can try and return and try again and it’s no money out of my pocket.

Callaway actually has a fantastic deal right now with the AD BB and AD TP for only $125 upcharge. I would go with one of those. The BB will be less spin but still more than a 'black' profile - and the TP more like a DI and the highest spin of them all.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

33 minutes ago, jbeer7375 said:

I currently game the Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 6.0 70g in my BRNR mini. (Driver SS is 103 mph) I love it and deiced to get the same shaft for my driver. But even with my driver in the lower setting (Face open) I still miss it left way too often. I'm looking into getting my first GD shaft. What would be a good option?

It would depend WHY you're missing left. GD shafts are all mid-soft models (blue) so if you feel you're missing left because of a blue-model shaft then I'm not sure.

The arguably 'stiffer than blue shafts' (in various tip/mid/butt section variances) from GD are the GP, UB, XC, and new VF (updated GP) which will in theory turn the ball over less than the smoke blue from PX.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

CQ.  Don't tip it too much though since you still want to retain spin.  Isn't there an option where you can have Cally tip it to your desired measurement?  I would certainly put in the notes or email them to tip it x amount.  I love the CQ myself when I tested it.  The softer tip gives it a bit more kick than something like the VR or DI but it's still stable enough provided you tip it enough.  I'd recommend half to full inch of tipping for your UW. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

11 minutes ago, jbeer7375 said:

I'd recommend the more stable mid/mid-low shafts like the UB, GP or XC. 

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

So I'm really loving IZ in driver and 7w. I tried CQ in 5w spot but I just couldn't get the timing right. Has anyone had similar experience with these shafts? Guessing I should prob just IZ in it.

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

15 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

CQ.  Don't tip it too much though since you still want to retain spin.  Isn't there an option where you can have Cally tip it to your desired measurement?  I would certainly put in the notes or email them to tip it x amount.  I love the CQ myself when I tested it.  The softer tip gives it a bit more kick than something like the VR or DI but it's still stable enough provided you tip it enough.  I'd recommend half to full inch of tipping for your UW. 

I just put the CQ into a 5w and it really surprised me. It's quite high spin, though. Mine is tipped 1.25" and also playing short at like 41.5" (so pretty much UW shaft specs) and I'm still spinning my 5w 4500rpm with a nice (for what I want to see) high flight. A 5w will probably inherently be higher launch and spin than a UW, though.

3 minutes ago, JourdanM said:

So I'm really loving IZ in driver and 7w. I tried CQ in 5w spot but I just couldn't get the timing right. Has anyone had similar experience with these shafts? Guessing I should prob just IZ in it.

As above, I just put the CQ in my 5w and am liking it. I did not like the predecessor the MJ. I like the IZ in driver but I do not like it in woods. Even though many people say its a linear feeling shaft - to me it's just a wider-feeling bend if that makes sense. But if you like it I definitely wouldnt shy away from a third one in the bag.

• Like 1

Just now, third-times-a-charm said:

I just put the CQ into a 5w and it really surprised me. It's quite high spin, though. Mine is tipped 1.25" and also playing short at like 41.5" (so pretty much UW shaft specs) and I'm still spinning my 5w 4500rpm with a nice (for what I want to see) high flight. A 5w will probably inherently be higher launch and spin than a UW, though.

As above, I just put the CQ in my 5w and am liking it. I did not like the predecessor the MJ. I like the IZ in driver but I do not like it in woods. Even though many people say its a linear feeling shaft - to me it's just a wider-feeling bend if that makes sense. But if you like it I definitely wouldnt shy away from a third one in the bag.

I found the CQ to spin quite a bit as well.  @eric61did state he needs the spin though which is why I recommended not tipping it too much.  As you know, I don't get along with shafts that have too much kick and spin a lot, but the CQ feels really smooth.  It was a 7TX and 8X and they were both tipped 1.5 inches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I found the CQ to spin quite a bit as well.  @eric61did state he needs the spin though which is why I recommended not tipping it too much.  As you know, I don't get along with shafts that have too much kick and spin a lot, but the CQ feels really smooth.  It was a 7TX and 8X and they were both tipped 1.5 inches. 

Thanks -- I think I'm going to start by trying the CQ 8X tipped 1". I'll call Callaway and ask if that's possible vs. their normal tipping. I definitely do need the spin on this club ... on the previous version of the UW, I absolutely loved everything about it except that it went too far. I'd have had to pretty much redo the top end of my bag to get it to work. I was hoping they'd make the 21 degree version available for lefties this time, but no luck. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

5 hours ago, jbeer7375 said:

i swing 101 so we are similar, i love the DI and HD, did not like IZ or UB. The Xc is good, but the low launch low spin was not good for me. For me u cannot compare any Hzrdus to the feel of Graphite design. I am very feel oriented, not much else matters to me thats why these GD shafts are so perfect for my swing.

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

What do you guys think about the Tour AD GP?

I hit a 7X in a driver the other day and it felt great. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

P-UDI 2-3 Recoil Dart 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM9 54D, 59T Modus 125-X
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

Just now, Sean124 said:

Love the GP.  My buddy has the 6TX in driver and he can move it both ways without too much curve.  I like that it's very tip stiff and gradually softens up yet it never gets too soft in any section which to me makes it stable IMO.  It feels linear to me with very little kick which is the feel I prefer nowadays. 

21 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Love the GP.  My buddy has the 6TX in driver and he can move it both ways without too much curve.  I like that it's very tip stiff and gradually softens up yet it never gets too soft in any section which to me makes it stable IMO.  It feels linear to me with very little kick which is the feel I prefer nowadays. 

Very little kick while still feeling smooth. I’ll have to pick one up. 

I got the Accra TZ RPG 472 M5+ to try a heavier driver shaft and am liking it a lot. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

P-UDI 2-3 Recoil Dart 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM9 54D, 59T Modus 125-X
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

19 hours ago, Sean124 said:

Very underrated shaft over the years. IMO its the OG 'super stiff tip' shaft concept before the Ventus' VELOCORE became the en vogue shaft but it just never caught on; while the DI was popular.

FWIW the new AD VF is supposed to be an updated GP with newer materials.

I played a GP 6 and GP 7 in 3 wood for a few months. Removed it from driver in favor of something with more feel even though the numbers were pretty good, but kept it in my 3w.

I am now playing the GP 6 in a new 3w configuration I'm about to post about right after this reply.

Okay another range session but this time only with a new shaft in the 3w - a GP 6 instead of the TP 6. I installed it untipped since SUPPOSEDLY tipping a GP actually adds spin and makes the tip play softer. Callaway also doesnt tip a 3w shaft by default so if this was a factory build it would be straight in - though GD does say .5" tip for a 3w regardless of what it does to the profile.

The GP is most definitely more linear and stiffer feeling than any GD shaft but still has more feel than many 'black' profiles. I dont mind it but it does make you miss how smooth the other GD shafts are if you have them in the bag around it. The 3w is mostly a tee club for me. Spin comes down dramatically when tee'd up as you can see below (with my swing).

Numbers:

3w w/ TP 6 tipped .5" (ground)

Avg -   85.9 120.3 22.7 4743 1.4 119 6.7

3w w/ GP untipped (off ground)

Avg -   89.1 126.5 20.9 4416 1.42 120.2 6.8

3w w/ GP untipped (tee shots):

Avg -   86 125.5 17.8 3508 1.46 95 6.3

The spin looks very similar across a sample size of about 15-2 shots, but my best swings were the last few and heres a table of those:

12     89.9 128.5 20.9 4289 1.43 124 7      
  13     89.5 129.4 21.1 2831 1.45 118.3 6.8

So the numbers are much better. Less spin and launch with the GP. Feel leaves a little to be desired but it most definitely separates the 3w from my 5w better.

I also re-hit the 5w w/ AD CQ 7:

Today:

Avg -   84.7 119.3 21.4 4744 1.41 110.3 6.5

Few days ago:

Avg -   84.3 116.9 23.9 4850 1.39 118.6 6.6

Not much change here. When I'm swinging better my launch goes down but spin seemed to stay the same.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Thanks 1

Well, well…. The AD XC 5s dethroned my unicorn, the Ventus TR Blue 6s. Previously posted about this and now after two strong range sessions where I was swinging well, the XC wins hands down. Dispersion is better and looks to have gained about 10 yards of carry. I attribute it being able to load it better with the softer handle. Seems to launch a touch higher than the TR, but flattens out and carries more. Might even be more than 10 yards. This is just a visual confirmation hitting targets that I used my laser to pin point. 

Anyway, love the lighter weight and the softer handle. PXG did me right fitting me into this. 

• Like 3

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Need some help here, been pretty happy with an XC 6S in my driver, and recently put an IZ 7S in my 5 wood with good results so far. My 3 wood was suggested to be a DI 7S which I have played for a season with mixed results. Just can’t get comfy with how loose it feels, but it can be a boom or busy type result. What would make more sense to match… driver or 5 wood shaft seem like logical places to start?  I mainly hit 3 wood off tee when I need to stay short of something, 5 wood off deck routinely. Would matching driver XC shaft but in 7S make sense so something else?

Just now, drscott266 said:

Need some help here, been pretty happy with an XC 6S in my driver, and recently put an IZ 7S in my 5 wood with good results so far. My 3 wood was suggested to be a DI 7S which I have played for a season with mixed results. Just can’t get comfy with how loose it feels, but it can be a boom or busy type result. What would make more sense to match… driver or 5 wood shaft seem like logical places to start?  I mainly hit 3 wood off tee when I need to stay short of something, 5 wood off deck routinely. Would matching driver XC shaft but in 7S make sense so something else?

Matching driver and 3 metal shafts doesn't always work because of the lower loft and longer length difference plus most golfers swing driver harder than 3 metal, myself included.  With that being said, you should consider putting the IZ in 3 metal to match your 5 metal which you seem to get along with.  Another option would be the UB which is similar to the DI in terms of EI profile but launches lower and is much more stable.  Hell, if money's not an issue, the TP, HD, or CQ are other options if none of the above work. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Matching driver and 3 metal shafts doesn't always work because of the lower loft and longer length difference plus most golfers swing driver harder than 3 metal, myself included.  With that being said, you should consider putting the IZ in 3 metal to match your 5 metal which you seem to get along with.  Another option would be the UB which is similar to the DI in terms of EI profile but launches lower and is much more stable.  Hell, if money's not an issue, the TP, HD, or CQ are other options if none of the above work. 

UB might be a great option, I have one for driver and like the feel but it flies so high I prefer the flight of the XC. For a 3 wood that might be perfect though. 

21 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Well, well…. The AD XC 5s dethroned my unicorn, the Ventus TR Blue 6s. Previously posted about this and now after two strong range sessions where I was swinging well, the XC wins hands down. Dispersion is better and looks to have gained about 10 yards of carry. I attribute it being able to load it better with the softer handle. Seems to launch a touch higher than the TR, but flattens out and carries more. Might even be more than 10 yards. This is just a visual confirmation hitting targets that I used my laser to pin point. 

Anyway, love the lighter weight and the softer handle. PXG did me right fitting me into this. 

I took my XC 5 out on the course for a few holes yesterday and it was very hot and cold. It’s amazing on the range but that first outing was polarizing. 

I’m going to do one final test against the TP 6 on the course and range for numbers before committing to one for golf season here coming up. (As everyone else’s is ending 🤣)

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 8:07 AM, OspreyCI said:

This post did not age well..XC 5s will be on BST before the next tee box😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just now, OspreyCI said:

I'd pick that up in a heart beat if it was a 7TX........

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Bad day? 😂

• Haha 1

Just now, third-times-a-charm said:

Bad day? 😂

Very bad!!! Known as long (relative) straight driver in my large group of guys and today I was just hoping to clear the lake on 18🥲

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

4 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Very bad!!! Known as long (relative) straight driver in my large group of guys and today I was just hoping to clear the lake on 18🥲

I took the TP 6 out today for a few holes and couldnt really pinpoint if I like it better than the XC 5. I was testing out some different hosel settings which I probably shouldnt have on the course.

The XC 5 will probably stay in for now.

• Like 1