2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

*Graphite Design Lovers Anonymous* Tour AD UB vs IZ vs XC and NOW vs TP! ...and HD....and VR

Hey gang - do all the GD shafts say accuracy and distance by the grip in the white on white section? Got an AD HD on the bay and it doesn't have it ...image.jpg.7e0b7b8ffd03a5b0b0998963fd6157e8.jpg

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

6 minutes ago, JourdanM said:

Hey gang - do all the GD shafts say accuracy and distance by the grip in the white on white section? Got an AD HD on the bay and it doesn't have it ...image.jpg.7e0b7b8ffd03a5b0b0998963fd6157e8.jpg

Above the banded lines should only be the shaft color with ghosted "AD" logos. There should also be an overlap line running down the direct center of the graphics and through to the grip area. The AD HD is a new shaft so it should have all the new markings.

The gradation of the faded black parts on the rings of the shaft graphics look like a fake to me. See this photo of my AD HD I posted a few weeks ago. The fakes have less of a fade and look more of a 50/50 fade:

IMG_6422.jpeg.1f9cdeb8bd68f6e16c09678cd1

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

1 minute ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Above the banded lines should only be the shaft color with ghosted "AD" logos. There should also be an overlap line running down the direct center of the graphics and through to the grip area. The AD HD is a new shaft so it should have all the new markings.

I don't see the ghosted logos - that's the word I was looking for. I do see the overlap line though. 

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

3 minutes ago, JourdanM said:

I don't see the ghosted logos - that's the word I was looking for. I do see the overlap line though. 

I added a note about the graphics in my post as well.

If you want to be sure send photos to Alvin at [email protected]

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Just now, third-times-a-charm said:

Thank you ! Appreciate your help!

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Alvin called me and walked me thru check points - authentic shaft! Talk about service. Thank you for the rec! Makes me only want to buy GD shafts now. 

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

27 minutes ago, JourdanM said:

Alvin called me and walked me thru check points - authentic shaft! Talk about service. Thank you for the rec! Makes me only want to buy GD shafts now. 

Alvin is awesome. Hes part of the reason I like GD. He will legit call you back just to talk shaft profiles and their characteristics and etc. No other OEM will do that to a random end user.

Glad it worked out!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Alvin is awesome. Hes part of the reason I like GD. He will legit call you back just to talk shaft profiles and their characteristics and etc. No other OEM will do that to a random end user.

Glad it worked out!

Going to call him about a shaft for my g430 5w! That's amazing. 

thanks again 

• Like 1

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

3 hours ago, cmrn89 said:

what were the checkpoints he went over? Just got an HD on eBay myself.

So it doesn't have the ghosted logos, the main things were a serial number and hologram towards the butt end where the grip would go

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

Ive had a fake AD VR in hand before and you could scrape the paint off with your fingernail. Also the tip graphic was way off from the tip measurement and did not have the seam down the middle of the main graphics. Also the shaft layup was very thin.

• Thanks 1
  •  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1," VF7TX tipped .5"
  • Qi Tour 5W at 16.5, HZRDUS 80g 6.5, playing 43.25"
  • T200 2i Utility, HZRDUS 105x tipped .5"
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW,  PX LS 6.5 
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • , Odyssey Ten Ball 

4 hours ago, 70sinsight said:

Everyone been asking for a low/low from GD, here ya go.

15 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Everyone been asking for a low/low from GD, here ya go.

About damn time.  EI profile looks good.  Similar to the TR Black except slightly softer handle which works for me.  Put me down for one in October!

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Alright I'm trying something new.

My incredibly inefficient 98mph swing seems to like a 50g shaft in fittings (apparently @OspreyCI in the XC too). I refuse to use a R flex shaft since I can still bench above my body weight, so S flex it is. But now my OCD is making me go 5-6-7g instead of 6-7-8g shafts. I guess I could do 6-6-7 as well since my 3 wood is 75% tee-only or even 6-7-7g possibly.

Currently I have the setup as XC - TP - CQ. I have no idea why but I'll be able to test on Monday when our range reopens. My thinking is that I need more roll in driver and more spin in 5 wood for greens. I have an HD 7 and GP 6 waiting in the wings.

The CQ is totally random. I won an ebay auction for it with no specs and it ended up being tipped 1.25" - so tbh thats okay for a 5 wood. Maybe itll have nice launch for a green-hitting par5 club?

I'm also testing between Callaway TC Max heads and TC Triple Diamond heads in 3w and 5w. The Max heads are probably what I need but I'm hoping I can hit the Triple Diamond fairways good too so I can feel good about myself an pretend I'm a good golfer.

This is how I feel right now putting random Tour AD shafts in random clubheads hoping something makes me not suck at golf:

Ape Office Monkey GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

The CQ is totally random. I won an ebay auction for it with no specs and it ended up being tipped 1.25" - so tbh thats okay for a 5 wood. Maybe itll have nice launch for a green-hitting par5 club?

Funny, I also ended up with a CQ that I didn’t plan to win on eBay...for my driver...

Played two rounds in Hawaii after not swinging a club for a couple weeks and my driving was all over the place. Upon return I immediately started perusing the bay for GD shafts. Tossed in a last second low bid fully expecting to be outbid and now here I am awaiting its arrival (it’s delayed which is so annoying 🙄). I love the VR in my 4/5 wood so maybe the CQ tipped 1” might actually be a winner. 

• Haha 2

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | Tour AD VF 6x

TBD | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105tx

Titleist T150 | Modus 115x

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: TP5x or Prov1

18 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

My incredibly inefficient 98mph swing seems to like a 50g shaft in fittings (apparently @OspreyCI in the XC too). I refuse to use a R flex shaft since I can still bench above my body weight, so S flex it is. But now my OCD is making me go 5-6-7g instead of 6-7-8g shafts. I guess I could do 6-6-7 as well since my 3 wood is 75% tee-only or even 6-7-7g possibly.

Currently I have the setup as XC - TP - CQ. I have no idea why but I'll be able to test on Monday when our range reopens. My thinking is that I need more roll in driver and more spin in 5 wood for greens. I have an HD 7 and GP 6 waiting in the wings.

I'm also testing between Callaway TC Max heads and TC Triple Diamond heads in 3w and 5w. The Max heads are probably what I need but I'm hoping I can hit the Triple Diamond fairways good too so I can feel good about myself an pretend I'm a good golfer.

This is how I feel right now putting random Tour AD shafts in random clubheads hoping something makes me not suck at golf:

Ape Office Monkey GIF

u sound like me, looks like me on the laptop. I considered the same option, actually got the 7s in my hybrids and they are absolutely perfect. But i really dont feel like getting a 5s for my driver and a 6s for my 3 wood to demo. Not alot of those for sale right now. Let me know how it goes

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

16 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

u sound like me, looks like me on the laptop. I considered the same option, actually got the 7s in my hybrids and they are absolutely perfect. But i really dont feel like getting a 5s for my driver and a 6s for my 3 wood to demo. Not alot of those for sale right now. Let me know how it goes

The range opens back up tommorow so I’m going for a solid two hour 150-ball session with like 8 woods shafted up in the bag to test on my crappy MEVO so we’ll see what happens.

I’m optimistic but who isn’t when you have a bunch of fun new stuff to try 🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

The range opens back up tommorow so I’m going for a solid two hour 150-ball session with like 8 woods shafted up in the bag to test on my crappy MEVO so we’ll see what happens.

i love this, welcome to the struggle. I thought i was alone, until i read posts like this. I would do the exact same thing looking for answers. Good luck with the search and let us know how it goes

2 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

i love this, welcome to the struggle. I thought i was alone, until i read posts like this. I would do the exact same thing looking for answers. Good luck with the search and let us know how it goes

No welcome necessary - I started this topic 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:51 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

My incredibly inefficient 98mph swing seems to like a 50g shaft in fittings (apparently @OspreyCI in the XC too). I refuse to use a R flex shaft since I can still bench above my body weight, so S flex it

If the R give you the heebies, why not go 50 or 40 R2 and make a GD autoflex.

You are running out of combo's to try 🙂

• Haha 1

Posted in the TR vs XC thread. First round with the XC 5s today. No range time, straight to the tee and took me 10 holes to get my timing back with the lighter setup. After that, hit some bombs. Is it better t a the TR? No, just different. Way easier to load and feels great. I’ll give it one more round and then evaluate. 

• Like 4

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

7 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

DI 85x or S? I am turning 52 next month and I am thinking that I need to go to an 85S in my 17 hybrid? I finally gave up on trying to find a 3w I can hit well. I play the 85X in my 21 but do not feel it kick that I used to, what do you think?

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

10 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

DI 85x or S? I am turning 52 next month and I am thinking that I need to go to an 85S in my 17 hybrid? I finally gave up on trying to find a 3w I can hit well. I play the 85X in my 21 but do not feel it kick that I used to, what do you think?

I’m in an 85s right now in my 4 hybrid 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Posted in the TR vs XC thread. First round with the XC 5s today. No range time, straight to the tee and took me 10 holes to get my timing back with the lighter setup. After that, hit some bombs. Is it better t a the TR? No, just different. Way easier to load and feels great. I’ll give it one more round and then evaluate. 

considering the same move except with DI compared to HD. Same thing, mid 50's and not happy about it. Did the lighter weight help u to swing faster?

16 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

considering the same move except with DI compared to HD. Same thing, mid 50's and not happy about it. Did the lighter weight help u to swing faster?

Yes, did swing an average of 2.5 mph faster in trackman when I was fit into it at PXG. Lighter is faster and on TM my dispersion was really good. Did not translate immediately to the course today, but that because I had no range time to try it. Next weekend will be the real test after some range time and more on course testing. There is serious potential there. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

thanks and good luck hope it works for you. Keep me posted and I will be doing the same experiment shortly

• Like 1

Alright so I hit a record (according to flightscope) 254 balls in 2 hours today 😂 Swinging my usual trash swing so it was a good test since I usually have more rounds off than on.

First up is the AD XC 5 and it was probably the biggest difference maker today. Even with a complete lack of confidence that i can put together a solid swing it was just so easy to load and time. Nice flight and dispersion and numbers were real good. Greatly reduced the amount of wild shots with the eye test and removed the 2-way miss - kept everything falling right if I opened up too quick. The XC 5 is definitely staying in the bag right now.

XC 5 (on a bad day) numbers:

Avg -   96.2 135.2 16.9 3145 1.41 102.8 6.6

TP 6 (on a good day) numbers:

Avg -   96.1 136.7 15.8 2742 1.42 94.8 6.4

So the XC 5 has better dispersion, better feel and timing - and mostly keeps up with the TP. On days when I'm striking it better my spin and launch goes down so theyll probably be even better than the TP.

Next up is the fairway circus. I tested;

Rogue ST TD 3w w/ Tensei Blue 65

Rogue ST Max TC 3w w/ TP 6

Mavrik Max TC 3w (adjustable) w/ HD 7

Rogue ST Max D TC 5w w/ CQ 7

Rogue ST TD 5w (adj) w/ HD 8

I really want the Max heads to work but they spin so much. The TD heads are honestly not noticeably less forgiving but are noticeably more fade biased and lower spin.

3 Woods:

TD 3 w/ Tensei 65:

Avg -   85.9 122.2 21.4 3542 1.42 110.1 6.5

Rogue Max w/ TP 6:

Avg -   85.9 119.9 22.6 4769 1.4 117.9 6.7

Mavrik Max w/ HD 7:

Avg -   83 119.8 21.4 3789 1.44 106.9 6.4

Mavrik Max w/ HD 7 (on a good day striping it):

Avg -   91.4 130.6 15.4 3023 1.43 85.1 6.1

(lol look @ the difference between good and bad days at the range with those two Mav Max data sets 😂)

5 Woods:

TD 5 w/ HD 8:

Avg -   83.8 119.5 22.4 3487 1.43 110.3 6.5

Max D w/ CQ 7

Avg -   84.3 116.9 23.9 4850 1.39 118.6 6.6

I want to be able to hit greens and hold them with my fairway woods since I'm not a long hitter (96mph driver average as you can see in the first two data sets). I'm not sure if ~3500 spin will do that when using the triple diamond heads. Thats my only concern with them. Tour average is ~4500 spin with a 5 wood and I'm averaging ~3500 with distance almost as far as my 3 wood and thats in a +1 loft setting. 

The Tour AD CQ in the 5w doesnt seem too bad tbh, might keep that in the bag for now. I definitely want to cut the 3w spin down from 4500 in the max head if possible - or maybe try the TD head with the TP 6 shaft. I also have a GP 6 I can put in the 3w to bring spin down 🤔

I could also try a 70g shaft like my HD 7 in the Max 3w head but then I would be going 50g-70g-70g and I dont know if my OCD can handle that 😂

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Alright so I hit a record (according to flightscope) 254 balls in 2 hours today 😂 Swinging my usual trash swing so it was a good test since I usually have more rounds off than on.

First up is the AD XC 5 and it was probably the biggest difference maker today. Even with a complete lack of confidence that i can put together a solid swing it was just so easy to load and time. Nice flight and dispersion and numbers were real good. Greatly reduced the amount of wild shots with the eye test and removed the 2-way miss - kept everything falling right if I opened up too quick. The XC 5 is definitely staying in the bag right now.

So the XC 5 has better dispersion, better feel and timing - and mostly keeps up with the TP. On days when I'm striking it better my spin and launch goes down so theyll probably be even better than the TP.

I really want the Max heads to work but they spin so much. The TD heads are honestly not noticeably less forgiving but are noticeably more fade biased and lower spin.

3 Woods:

TD 3 w/ Tensei 65:

Rogue Max w/ TP 6:

Mavrik Max w/ HD 7:

(lol look @ the difference between good and bad days at the range with those two Mav Max data sets 😂)

5 Woods:

TD 5 w/ HD 8:

Max D w/ CQ 7

I want to be able to hit greens and hold them with my fairway woods since I'm not a long hitter (96mph driver average as you can see in the first two data sets). I'm not sure if ~3500 spin will do that when using the triple diamond heads. Thats my only concern with them. Tour average is ~4500 spin with a 5 wood and I'm averaging ~3500 with distance almost as far as my 3 wood and thats in a +1 loft setting. 

The Tour AD CQ in the 5w doesnt seem too bad tbh, might keep that in the bag for now. I definitely want to cut the 3w spin down from 4500 in the max head if possible - or maybe try the TD head with the TP 6 shaft. I also have a GP 6 I can put in the 3w to bring spin down 🤔

I could also try a 70g shaft like my HD 7 in the Max 3w head but then I would be going 50g-70g-70g and I dont know if my OCD can handle that 😂

Wow! That’s a lot of balls there mister! Great stuff as always. Appreciate you sharing. You are making me keep the XC in the bag for another round for sure….

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

17 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

3 Woods:

TD 3 w/ Tensei 65:

Rogue Max w/ TP 6:

Mavrik Max w/ HD 7:

5 Woods:

TD 5 w/ HD 8:

Max D w/ CQ 7

Excellent work there buddy, nice job. Wonder how your back feels today. I started a similar experiment but im starting at the hybrids and working backwards. Usually I would have a 6s in the driver, 7s in the fairway and 8s in the hybrid. Wanted lighter as you did as well so went with AD DI and ADHY in 7s instead of 8s. The difference is night and day, 7s feels so much better and i gained back ball speed as well. Once a week i bring my aldila tour blue 85s to compare and I hate how it feels compared to the lighter shaft. Currently my 2 hybrids are my favorite clubs in the bag

• Like 2