What does it really take to play college golf?

6 minutes ago, wegobomber31 said:

I recognized your last name after seeing you mentioned LJT and it looks like our sons have played in a handful of events together over the last year. All the best to Matt!

Thx, ya hes at the course right now working hard...... or for all i know hes chasing the cart girls around 😕

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, rpawly said:

not bad, the kids here that play AJs and LJT events usually play on their HS team but are all #1s and the remainder of the team upper 70s to ......... There are a couple schools that attract talent (people actually move) and they usually have 4-5 70 shooters. (Westlake and Lake Travis) both of which are in Austin.

I would lean towards using JGS (Junior Golf Scoreboard Rankings ) and see where your childs differential lines up wont be a "direct" comparison to handicap but will get you close.

#1 Player Class of 2023

image.png.8763e5dda6fdaac9cf21b324d6aef38c.png

#100 Player Class of 2023

image.png.b778a22042562b2116989b1adc9909ae.png

The frequency of below par rounds is the key.

I have observed the following:

14 and younger the majority of the players are not yet back to the tips (in tournaments) and physical size and maturity is the great divide, those that get it earlier dominate. But once they all reach 15/16 everything evens out and they are now playing guys with full beards 🙂.

15 years old: Top players have several under par rounds and sometimes (not frequent) they have 2 rounds in the red during a tournament.

16 years old: Top players have 2 under par rounds and sometimes (again not frequent) 3 rounds in the red

17/18 is what you see above.

My son (13) plays LJT and NTPGA AAT and uses JGS. The ranking on that has opened some doors with resoruces.

He just won a 13-18 AAT event and one of the guys in the final group with him did have a beard ha ha.

He's had some college coaches following his group during a round. He's got a couple of schools coaches following him on IG. 

Related question - are any of these camps that college coaches attend worth going to?

Cheers

Ray

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

Or Handicap.

Our HS, which is a really solid program, just had tryouts.  Our Top two are sub 75 golfers.  2 and 3 bag are sub 80.  5 Bag is Sub 83.  There is a huge drop off in talent from there.  These 5 kids were on the team and had 11 kids trying out for 5 spots.  Italian Exchange student moves in with a 7 HI.  We are thinking, "Ok, he might be able to contend for the 5 spot."  The kid didn't even make the team as he didn't break 95 in tryouts.

Yardage as well.

A Lot of kids coming from HS love that 6500 range.  Move them back to 7K and the scores go up at a descent clip. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ray Jackson said:

My son (13) plays LJT and NTPGA AAT and uses JGS. The ranking on that has opened some doors with resoruces.

He just won a 13-18 AAT event and one of the guys in the final group with him did have a beard ha ha.

He's had some college coaches following his group during a round. He's got a couple of schools coaches following him on IG. 

Related question - are any of these camps that college coaches attend worth going to?

Cheers

Ray

Were planning on doing one next summer at 16, but before that your pretty far off the radar.

21 minutes ago, Ray Jackson said:

Cheers

Ray

I don't have any plans for my son to attend any camps.  Most seem to be in June in the heart of tournament season, and I am hopeful (perhaps naively) that his tournament scores and being seen at tournaments will be enough to carry the day.

On 8/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, Ray Jackson said:

Cheers

Ray

College camps are kind of a waste of time and money. 
Contact coaches directly with a resume and short (75 seconds max) video.

Instruction at these camps are not cost effective.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, Ray Jackson said:

My son (13) plays LJT and NTPGA AAT and uses JGS. The ranking on that has opened some doors with resources.

He's had some college coaches following his group during a round. He's got a couple of schools coaches following him on IG

Holy Moly Ray, ya got any more acronyms?  😄  I played college golf on a a full athletic scholarship and I don't recognize any of these.  Any chance of spelling them out for we who are uninformed.  IWTHIJ

• Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Holy Moly Ray, ya got any more acronyms?  😄  I played college golf on a a full athletic scholarship and I don't recognize any of these.  Any chance of spelling them out for we who are uninformed.  IWTHIJ

Ha ha here you go......

NTPGA = North Texas PGA. AAT = All American Tour, run by NTPGA. 36 hole events for 13-18 yr olds, generally played at about 6700yds

Legends Junior Tour = LJT. Texas state wide tour that you qualify for by winning/placing in AAT events etc. Strong fields, 36 holes for the 13-14 yr old kids (6700yds) shooting -2 to -5 total. 15-18 yr olds 54 hole events over 7,000yds

JGS = Junior Golf Scoreboard

IG = Instagram

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:53 PM, Ray Jackson said:

Ha ha here you go......

NTPGA = North Texas PGA. AAT = All American Tour, run by NTPGA. 36 hole events for 13-18 yr olds, generally played at about 6700yds

Legends Junior Tour = LJT. Texas state wide tour that you qualify for by winning/placing in AAT events etc. Strong fields, 36 holes for the 13-14 yr old kids (6700yds) shooting -2 to -5 total. 15-18 yr olds 54 hole events over 7,000yds

JGS = Junior Golf Scoreboard

IG = Instagram

what about PYT?

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• 1 month later...

- You got to play ALOT of golf

- Before go tournament, you will have to compete between team member to select who will go who will stay

- You need to select a "not so good" major in school like: Communication, History, Psychology, Social Services so you can travel/practice to complete between school.

- After 4 year play golf, you graduate with a lousy major, a student loan, couldn't find a good job. You might end up work odd job then return to school for another major.

There are alot of things school won't tell you. We as parent at that time is very happy because our son got a scholarship and play for a school. We don't look at NEXT 4 years and end up disappointed after he graduated.

Remember, there are ONLY three slot in any tournament: FIRST, SECOND, THIRD in the total of 70 or 80 kids play in a tournament in California. So think carefuly...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/15/2022 at 1:19 PM, johnquantran125 said:

- You got to play ALOT of golf

- Before go tournament, you will have to compete between team member to select who will go who will stay

- You need to select a "not so good" major in school like: Communication, History, Psychology, Social Services so you can travel/practice to complete between school.

- After 4 year play golf, you graduate with a lousy major, a student loan, couldn't find a good job. You might end up work odd job then return to school for another major.

There are alot of things school won't tell you. We as parent at that time is very happy because our son got a scholarship and play for a school. We don't look at NEXT 4 years and end up disappointed after he graduated.

Remember, there are ONLY three slot in any tournament: FIRST, SECOND, THIRD in the total of 70 or 80 kids play in a tournament in California. So think carefuly...

1. True

2. This is true for any varsity level sport.  Sorry if the participation trophy you were expecting isn't available in college.  Different coaches do it differently.  Some pick the travel squad after qualifying at the beginning of the semester.  Others might have one before each tournament.

3. False.  If this was the case for you then I am sorry and you should have ran away.

4. You don't have to play golf to take a lousy major or rack up student loans.

Not  sure what this isn't even about??? 

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 11:04 AM, heavy_hitter said:

What is instruction?  Most people see it as swing instruction, I do not.  I think most high level players are seeing their coach at least a few times a month.  Not necessarily for swing instruction, but teaching them how to play the game.  Course play, course management, mental game, etc.  My son plays golf with his coach 1 to 2 times a week.

yes as they get better they play more (drills and "practice" are still important) but it is focused practice, specific disciplines based off of past performance (not gut feeling). We have been getting ours to play with former college / tour guys as much as possible. (youd be suprised how many latin american tour / older hooter tours guys are lurking about 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 2:54 PM, farmer said:

Go below D2 and there are no scholarships.

No official athletic money.  You can actually get more money from a DIII than DII or DI.  If they want you they will find money.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

8 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

No official athletic money.  You can actually get more money from a DIII than DII or DI.  If they want you they will find money.

Most DIII coaches have access to a ton of “academic” money. If you have good grades/test scores, DIII can be a good financial option. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

If you really want to know the answer this site is great

https://collegegolf.com/?event=member.schoolSearch

The question a person needs to ask looking at the numbers is not what it take to get on the team but what does it take to be a top player. For women is quite shocking how high the team averages are.

There is a vast difference between women and mens golf.  Women are sigfinically higher and a bigger question for women is finding enough quality players vs what it takes to play.  Where guys have a lot better scores and focus needs to be on being to just make it.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1