2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Cameron Young's Centered Pivot

MysteryV

I feel like he's the poster child for Gankas, Milo Lines, Larry Cheung, Elite Golf Schools, and basically all the folks who are teaching a modern, centered pivot focused swing.  He has about the most centered / stable / least lateral hip shift I've seen for quite some time - it's just impressive.

My question for you folks who have been successful in moving to this style of swing is - what was the "aha moment" that helped it click for you?  What feels helped you get there?

Just to get things started, I've been working towards this style of swing for a while - and for me, the most impactful swing thought to practice - comes from tennis / basketball.  Most of the folks above teach getting into the ground as a squat, or lowering your belt line but, for me, it really helped me to think about the jump that tennis players make when receiving a serve (or NBA players like Tony Parker used to make before a drive).  It's the spit second weightlessness where you quickly jump fractionally off the ground, in order to gather, center, and increase your ability to use the ground to explode in either direction.  

Some pressure mat work (Salted Insoles so - pressure mat adjacent) is partially what led me here as the Salted app really wants to see you generate significant vertical GRF - and I found by thinking about this hop as being the first move from the top, I was able to generate more force with less effort, while maintaining a centered pivot.

What's worked for you?  Alternately - what are some mechanics you really like about Cam Young's swing that you intend to work on?

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

An exercise that helps mimic the power move that I do on a regular basis in the gym in the jump squat.  Don't need too much weight, just the bar and maybe 10 pound plates max on each side.  Another exercise I do to activate the hips are resistance band punches.  Olympic style lifts also help with adding explosiveness/power as well which I do as well. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

16 hours ago, MysteryV said:

What's worked for you?  Alternately - what are some mechanics you really like about Cam Young's swing that you intend to work on?

When it comes to this "power loading" stuff I think it's important to use video or have a pro help you find the right feel that works with what you're already doing.

Once I started thinking about the pivot in terms of my hip sockets moving away from/closer to the ball I found that my knee bends were working appropriately and I didn't need to add additional left knee bend to engage GRF. I just needed to focus more on the push off the ground than I had in the past. 

Most of the YouTube videos on ground forces start with the assumption that players aren't doing any of this naturally in the first place which is dangerous for some of us. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

His lower body looks pretty similar to most pros. Monte's breakdowns of how the hips should work are the clearest to me. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

5 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Young's swing is definitely impressive, but I don't really see how it could be considered "centered" in the way you're describing:

YoungPivot.gif.6915fb70c8d44a4d9d6b21758247200e.gif

That's quite a big move off the ball IMO. He definitely has the kind of hip move/clearing in the downswing that Gankas advocates though. Ridiculous amounts of left hip driving and clearing, especially considering his big pause at the top. SUPER fast lower body necessary for all that to work.

I understand your point, and perhaps my terminology was a bit off.  What would your definition of centered pivot be?  Rotation where the sacrum doesn't move laterally at all? I could definitely see that but what I meant here was that his hips stay within where they are at address exceptionally well.

The the part that really impressed me was how little his hips shift towards the target in the down swing.  

• Like 2

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

To me it just looks like he's staying in flexion longer than most. The left leg really doesn't straighten all that much after impact which is imo why his hips don't "bump" all that much. 

I've worked with Dan on not staying in flexion for so long and making sure to still extend (hogan move) after impact into the follow through.

OP to answer your question, my favorite thing for legwork is using a medium resistance band (that chicks often use lol) and putting it above your knees. Helps keep the separation (snead squat) but also ensures you extend properly in the follow through. I worked with GG for awhile and I wasn't a fan of his legwork, I think he made it tougher than it needed to be. 

• Like 1

He looks to be a rear post swinger. Can't find an iron swing face on anywhere online. I'd imagine he'd have some lateral shift with an iron hitting down on it.

Mike Adams has this "theory" on rear/center/front post swings. Each player is a little different. Its really helped my game by accepting/understanding that its ok to load on my rear leg with a small move off the ball.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I understand your point, and perhaps my terminology was a bit off.  What would your definition of centered pivot be?  Rotation where the sacrum doesn't move laterally at all? I could definitely see that but what I meant here was that his hips stay within where they are at address exceptionally well.

The the part that really impressed me was how little his hips shift towards the target in the down swing.  

What is your definition of a centered pivot and why is that impressive/good?

24 minutes ago, Kuuuch said:

To me it just looks like he's staying in flexion longer than most. The left leg really doesn't straighten all that much after impact which is imo why his hips don't "bump" all that much. 

I've worked with Dan on not staying in flexion for so long and making sure to still extend (hogan move) after impact into the follow through.

OP to answer your question, my favorite thing for legwork is using a medium resistance band (that chicks often use lol) and putting it above your knees. Helps keep the separation (snead squat) but also ensures you extend properly in the follow through. I worked with GG for awhile and I wasn't a fan of his legwork, I think he made it tougher than it needed to be. 

I actually have one of my GFs band hanging in my garage hitting bay right now.  😄.    Thanks for the reminder - maybe I'll get some reps in today.  

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

7 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

An exercise that helps mimic the power move that I do on a regular basis in the gym in the jump squat.  Don't need too much weight, just the bar and maybe 10 pound plates max on each side.  Another exercise I do to activate the hips are resistance band punches.  Olympic style lifts also help with adding explosiveness/power as well which I do as well. 

You do squat jumps with a barbell on your back?

Makes my back hurt just thinking about it. Dumbells yeah...barbell...nope

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

What is your definition of a centered pivot and why is that impressive/good?

I explained what I meant in the quote - simply that his hips have very little lateral movement - they stay centered within the boundaries set at address.  Just in case tone hasn't come through here - I'm in no way trying to argue the definition of the term - just trying to convey a description of something I saw and was impressed by.

The two primary reasons I find it noteworthy / impressive are because 1) he appears to have less bump than most pros I can think of, and 2) because it's something I've been working on and find difficult.

Edited by MysteryV
Poor grammar

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

38 minutes ago, CSagan said:

He looks to be a rear post swinger. Can't find an iron swing face on anywhere online. I'd imagine he'd have some lateral shift with an iron hitting down on it.

Mike Adams has this "theory" on rear/center/front post swings. Each player is a little different. Its really helped my game by accepting/understanding that its ok to load on my rear leg with a small move off the ball.

This is interesting.  I'd love to understand how he actions it.  Specifically what he does to "dial in GRF" for each player type.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

31 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

This is why I have always balked at pigeon holing swings of pros and oneself into made up terminology.

One plane-Two plane

Centered Pivot-Moving off the ball

Etc.

There is no rule that you can’t have some shift and a centered pivot.  

A good golf swing is a good golf swing.

See where your swing is lacking and improve it.

Agreed.  Arguing definitions isn't a great use of time.  That said, all terminology is made up at some point, and in order to identify and communicate thoughts about improving, one needs well defined terminology to communicate.  It can be a frustrating cycle if the intent is argument rather than understanding.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

47 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I explained what I meant in the quote - simply that his hips have very little lateral movement - they stay centered within the boundaries set at address.  Just in case tone hasn't come through here - I'm in no way trying to argue the definition of the term - just trying to convey a description of something I saw and was impressed by.

The two primary reasons I find it noteworthy / impressive are because 1) he appears to have less bump than most pros I can think of, and 2) because it's something I've been working on and find difficult.

Again I ask though, why is that impressive and or good? What makes you think implementing this will make you better? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Again I ask though, why is that impressive and or good? What makes you think implementing this will make you better? 

Many hours of video review of my swing / numbers, working with my coach, and a general interest in, love of thinking about, experimenting with, and enjoying discussion of the golf swing.

Even more specifically, my current path is 4 - 7 degrees out typically.  When I focus on the feeling of a lead knee structure on the way back, and delaying / reducing lateral bump towards the target - I find that my path gets closer to 1 - 3 degrees out, and my face control is improved.  

I started this thread to hear the feels of others as I have a few, but find it challenging to ingrain the change, and hearing how other people think about the same challenge is interesting, insightful, and hopefully helpful to everyone.

Edited by MysteryV
  • Like 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

57 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Agreed.  Arguing definitions isn't a great use of time.  That said, all terminology is made up at some point, and in order to identify and communicate thoughts about improving, one needs well defined terminology to communicate.  It can be a frustrating cycle if the intent is argument rather than understanding.

I think I see what is standing out to you the more I look at the video of his backswing. His head moves further right in relation to where it was at address than his right hip does, is that correct? I would normally expect to see the right hip move further right considering how much his head moves to the right. 

Edited by jonsnow

5 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

I think I see what is standing out to you the more I look at the video of his backswing. His head moves further right in relation to where it was at address than his right hip does, is that correct? I would normally expect to see the right hip move further right considering how much his head moves to the right. 

Interestingly, I hadn't really thought much about the backswing other than the similarity in structure to Will Zalatois' lead leg.  I was almost entirely focused on how little his lead hip moves toward the target in the downswing.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Hideki doesn’t really  pause.  And from what I see young does pretty much the same thing - he is backing into the target at the top while his arms are still finishing.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSeduLMNIgM/?hl=en

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

10 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Many hours of video review of my swing / numbers, working with my coach, and a general interest in, love of thinking about, experimenting with, and enjoying discussion of the golf swing.

I am not trying to badger you, but that does not answer the question. Very simple question, how or why is it beneficial? 

Rory for example does not do this and is one of the best drivers of the ball to play the game.

3 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I am not trying to badger you, but that does not answer the question. Very simple question, how or why is it beneficial? 

Rory for example does not do this and is one of the best drivers of the ball to play the game.

I think I edited my response to add more context around why as you were replying.

The reason I'm currently focused on Cam versus Rory is because I find that focusing on exaggerated moves is easier and often more helpful to think about rather than subtle, mixed movements.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

11 minutes ago, glk said:

Hideki doesn’t really  pause.  And from what I see young does pretty much the same thing - he is backing into the target at the top while his arms are still finishing.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSeduLMNIgM/?hl=en

I love these posts from AMG.  To my eye, however, Hideki has a LOT more lateral hip movement towards the target.  Much more similar to Rory or some other folks.

With Cam Young, I feel like the lead hip stays far closer (if not entirely within / behind) where it was at setup.  

Take a look - perhaps I'm wrong or it's a camera trick - but when I watch video - and put a mouse cursor on his lead hip at setup - his hips stay behind / closer to that spot than anyone else I've seen.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

16 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I love these posts from AMG.  To my eye, however, Hideki has a LOT more lateral hip movement towards the target.  Much more similar to Rory or some other folks.

With Cam Young, I feel like the lead hip stays far closer (if not entirely within / behind) where it was at setup.  

Take a look - perhaps I'm wrong or it's a camera trick - but when I watch video - and put a mouse cursor on his lead hip at setup - his hips stay behind / closer to that spot than anyone else I've seen.

I see him moving everything back.       Other move more but he certainly appears to have the shurn pattern.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

I think I edited my response to add more context around why as you were replying.

The reason I'm currently focused on Cam versus Rory is because I find that focusing on exaggerated moves is easier and often more helpful to think about rather than subtle, mixed movements.

7 accorss it is a lot more than just your hips. Oddly enough Rory clearly makes a lateral shift and he can draw driver as good as anyone on tour, so not sure if there is any correlation there 

5 hours ago, MysteryV said:

2 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Whether there is a term for this or not (@CSagan mentioned "rear post swinger" above), I think it's just a simple order of operations kind of thing. Cam Young in this gif sets up with the ball actually a bit further BACK in this stance than most power hitters with his weight seemingly center more over it. He then makes a big move to get behind that ball, and largely stays back there via upper body tilt. He still moves the lower body back to where it started, but you're right in that he "shifts" less than most. However he also shifts back *more* than most initially, so its all just a feel thing that balances out. 

YoungPivotFull.gif.7d0be2f7f6de5142d363c55df0b880ca.gif

The position he gets into in the backswing is one that a lot of other guys preset a lot more at address (Xander for example). Just different ways to go about achieving a similar goal (@Flemnomucus this is actually a bit of what I was going to touch in reply to your thread re: setup and tilt away from the ball etc).

XanderPivot.gif.8dd0203484ed675fa8d3b7a0aa2e9028.gif

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I like your style @Valtiel

So to go back to mystery's original question.

Load into right leg, let her rip tater chip.

Looks like he's super wide lots of extensor action with right arm at top, loaded into right leg...pause..rotate THEN extend. I don't like the jump feeling. I remember hitting balls half speed just feeling rotation without ever extending so your knees are bent at impact hips are open...do that a few times then do it and extend right after impact. I think a lot of people get to the top and then try and jump as hard as possible and that isn't the sequence (ask me how I know).

• Like 1