Straightening of the right leg

kobe123

10 minutes ago, glk said:

Step down

75EFF081-1108-4BA5-8B8B-153EE63F786A.jpeg.88bb20f12637ff57fd97b6ac1963d399.jpegCB82CCC9-4A12-4CC4-BA15-B961EE03816C.jpeg.b3abc4adb30ce5672d4adddf4603f92e.jpeg

I’d say this needs to be quantified to even discuss.  How much is too much ?  I say locked knee and hip is too much.  But then again. It’s still not causing anyone to be laid off.  

why not fix the laid off hand path and see where the knee flex lands after that ? 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’d say this needs to be quantified to even discuss.  How much is too much ?  I say locked knee and hip is too much.  But then again. It’s still not causing anyone to be laid off.  

why not fix the laid off hand path and see where the knee flex lands after that ? 

Huh?  Tyler has seen lots of tour swings.   Likely more than any other person.   He says average extension is around 8* with the range of 20* max and , yes, some pros actually added up to 10* of flex.

he didn’t mention the starting point at setup of flex but I believe this would be a factor in how much flex is lost or gained too.

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I do notice that this tends to happen when I try to get really "wide" and my arms get too far away from my body.  When I focus on a better takeaway it's harder to get to a straight knee position.  

16 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Because it doesn't get laid off until the leg locks.

21 minutes ago, glk said:

Huh?  Tyler has seen lots of tour swings.   Likely more than any other person.   He says average extension is around 8* with the range of 20* max and , yes, some pros actually added up to 10* of flex.

he didn’t mention the starting point at setup of flex but I believe this would be a factor in how much flex is lost or gained too.

So straighter then 8 then ? I’m simply saying that we don’t have a “ that’s too much number “ and we don’t know how much the OP has.  So it’s all guesswork. Right ? 

im not even trying to argue. I just happened across it triggered my upchuck reflex , because I once saw a teacher ruin a naturally long / good player by talking him into keeping loads of trail leg flex. He looked like a guy trying  to hit the ball from a chair. For what ?   To fix his long swing.  Well. He fixed it. Right into can’t play. I’m simply saying maybe take one aspirin. Not the whole bottle.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

31 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

Because it doesn't get laid off until the leg locks.

I’m going to stop replying because I realize that it’s unwanted opinion.  But since you quoted me. I’ll say this. 

Go to the top , lock your leg. Now how restricted are your arms ? Not very. You can move them anywhere.  Your right and left wrist has more to do with being laid off than your trail leg does. Sure. Locking it isn’t optimal.  But if you try to go too far the other way , be ready to be in for 4/5 years of relearning.  And might not see any improvement after that , except in pictures.  

try it with hands in a proper place and see if the weight doesn’t move toward your trail toes. This also will help keep the leg from locking. Left arm straight assumed.  in my opinion.   I’m standing by here making Air swings now feeling the pressure change from heel to toe

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

So straighter then 8 then ? I’m simply saying that we don’t have a “ that’s too much number “ and we don’t know how much the OP has.  So it’s all guesswork. Right ? 

im not even trying to argue. I just happened across it triggered my upchuck reflex , because I once saw a teacher ruin a naturally long / good player by talking him into keeping loads of trail leg flex. He looked like a guy trying  to hit the ball from a chair. For what ?   To fix his long swing.  Well. He fixed it. Right into can’t play. I’m simply saying maybe take one aspirin. Not the whole bottle.  

average extension gained - so straightened by 8*  max to 20* and some added up to 10* of flex.    again starting flex was not mentioned but would be a factor.      yes, everyone is different so getting some to maintain flex or add would has poor results - agree it is not one size fits all and that is basically what Tyler is saying - a range of from adding 20* extension to gaining 10* flexion - he did not say if more folks gained than lost or what the sample size was but since he has a DB of over 100 tour swings himself I imagine it was a decent size.       John Tillery appears to be big on keeping flex with his players like Kisner, Straka, and now Rickie - seems to work for his guys with one current exception.

The drill posted is pretty much an exaggerated step drill a la dr kwon.    to either step up or down one needs to start with a shift off the lead foot and then turn - one can over straighten the trail leg in doing it but it would be less likely since your lead leg leaves the ground.   OP needs to do something opposite of what he does now so he can do the spectrum of too little , too much, just right.

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’m going to stop replying because I realize that it’s unwanted opinion.  But since you quoted me. I’ll say this. 

Go to the top , lock your leg. Now how restricted are your arms ? Not very. You can move them anywhere.  Your right and left wrist has more to do with being laid off than your trail leg does. Sure. Locking it isn’t optimal.  But if you try to go too far the other way , be ready to be in for 4/5 years of relearning.  And might not see any improvement after that , except in pictures.  

AMG never mentioned my wrist angles. More the right leg, which I cant break.

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

try it with hands in a proper place and see if the weight doesn’t move toward your trail toes. This also will help keep the leg from locking. Left arm straight assumed.  in my opinion.   I’m standing by here making Air swings now feeling the pressure change from heel to toe

How your lower body works directly influences how your upper body works, which in turn can influence where the arms end up at the top of the swing. The guy who turns too flat and doesn't extend his spine isn't going to fix that position with his arms alone

8 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

How your lower body works directly influences how your upper body works, which in turn can influence where the arms end up at the top of the swing. The guy who turns too flat and doesn't extend his spine isn't going to fix that position with his arms alone

But again. We haven’t seen it. So only guessing. I can show you 3-4 prominent players who start and keep a straight leg , neither are even close to laid off. 

so yes. I agree with the idea. But nobody knows here. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, kobe123 said:

Does anyone have any good drills to not straigthen/lock out the right (trail) leg in the back swing? I tend to straighten it too much, get laid off, and then swipe across it.

I was thinking a down under board between the legs could help. I would just a cutting board.

Not to be smart but just don't straighten the right leg if that's what you are set on doing. No drill required.

22 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

Cutting or push cutting. I feel so swipey across the ball. I couldn't draw or start a ball left if you paid me.

Are you swinging under that alignment stick for plane ?   To my laypersons eye , that looks way too laid dow for a tallish guy.  Why not crowd the ball ( a little ) and cover it ? Instead of reaching out to it . 

see how the alignment stick  doesn’t match your left arm at all ? You’ve got to be dropping way down to go under that. Once you go that far inside. The only way to make it go left is a huge flip of the face. No chance to start it left for a fade. You’d need to swing above that same stick to start it left. Lol. Don’t try it. That then would be the reverse or pull -wipe. 

the drill I personally use for that is to stick a tee in the butt end of the grip. Then have that tee point to the ball at the top. Small pause  And then clubhead to the back of the ball. At any rate if you’re wanting to shorten your swing basically.  It takes slow on plane work for a while. 

anyway. Again. I’m nobody. But since you posted it in nobody land. I responded.  Pm Monte or Dan if you want somebody. 

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Are you swinging under that alignment stick for plane ?   To my laypersons eye , that looks way too laid dow for a tallish guy.  Why not crowd the ball ( a little ) and cover it ? Instead of reaching out to it . 

see how the alignment stick  doesn’t match your left arm at all ? You’ve got to be dropping way down to go under that. Once you go that far inside. The only way to make it go left is a huge flip of the face. No chance to start it left for a fade. You’d need to swing above that same stick to start it left. Lol. Don’t try it. That then would be the reverse or pull -wipe. 

the drill I personally use for that is to stick a tee in the butt end of the grip. Then have that tee point to the ball at the top. Small pause  And then clubhead to the back of the ball. At any rate if you’re wanting to shorten your swing basically.  It takes slow on plane work for a while. 

anyway. Again. I’m nobody. But since you posted it in nobody land. I responded.  Pm Monte or Dan if you want somebody. 

I was crowding the ball, then felt like I had no room and was told to move further away. I wouldn't mind the cut, but my swing is alredy pretty steep on the way down, therefore, I was trying to drop it under.

5 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

I was crowding the ball, then felt like I had no room and was told to move further away. I wouldn't mind the cut, but my swing is alredy pretty steep on the way down, therefore, I was trying to drop it under.

Like I said. The peanut gallery who also knows nothing is about. I’d consult one of the teachers here. I’d trust Monte .  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, kobe123 said:

Maybe my hip turn is too flat, based upon the pics.

It's not far off, a lot of folks would play plenty of good golf from there. Could get right hip a little more towards the target and extend the spine a bit more. Is your goal for less laid off to get to a more steep to shallow pattern? Perhaps this is less a static issue and more a dynamic/sequencing one.

Edit:Also not sure I would classify you as laid off, that too could be far worse

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

It's not far off, a lot of folks would play plenty of good golf from there. Could get right hip a little more towards the target and extend the spine a bit more. Is your goal for less laid off to get to a more steep to shallow pattern? Perhaps this is less a static issue and more a dynamic/sequencing one

I'd assume it is sequence, just can't figure out the issue in the sequence. 

have to see the swing but steep in the downswing is a classic wipey pattern. Have to say I’m surprised - not your first time with amg and 2 hours and they let you leave with a wipey action .

oldie by robin symes

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

11 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

Right. I can understand your frustration then. 

i agree with @Krt22  you’re not in a terrible place to play from. Most on earth would pay money for it.  

last opinion unless prodded lol.  Tall guys who are good or decent usually do crowd the ball. I don’t know your height. But I’d guess 6-1 to 6-3.   If you try to swing driver under that alignment stick or on that same plane. Can you even stand on that mat ? I’d guess if so barely. There’s zero benefit to a tall guy getting that flat. You can stay wide coming i to the ball and shallow enough without ever laying dow like that. Look at finau. Sheffler Or Patton kizire etc. 

go look at some tall guy moves. You can’t copy hogan at 6-3 can’t  be done. I’m not saying you are at alll. 

see this video. You’re not far off Sheffler trail leg. You can get to that easy enough  with focused work.  See also his club butt drill.  It works. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right. I can understand your frustration then. 

i agree with @Krt22  you’re not in a terrible place to play from. Most on earth would pay money for it.  

last opinion unless prodded lol.  Tall guys who are good or decent usually do crowd the ball. I don’t know your height. But I’d guess 6-1 to 6-3.   If you try to swing driver under that alignment stick or on that same plane. Can you even stand on that mat ? I’d guess if so barely. There’s zero benefit to a tall guy getting that flat. You can stay wide coming i to the ball and shallow enough without ever laying dow like that. Look at finau. Sheffler Or Patton kizire etc. 

go look at some tall guy moves. You can’t copy hogan at 6-3 can’t  be done. I’m not saying you are at alll. 

see this video. You’re not far off Sheffler trail leg. You can get to that easy enough  with focused work.  See also his club butt drill.  It works. 

I'm pretty close to 6'1. Standing far away from it like those pictures I posted just feel so unnatural, but it's what I have been told to do. If I could get to Scotty leg work, I'd be happy.

• Like 1