Straightening of the right leg

kobe123

Does anyone have any good drills to not straigthen/lock out the right (trail) leg in the back swing? I tend to straighten it too much, get laid off, and then swipe across it.

I was thinking a down under board between the legs could help. I would just a cutting board.

Edited by kobe123

19 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

Does anyone have any good drills to not straigthen/lock out the right (trail) leg in the back swing? I tend to straighten it too much, get laid off, and then swipe across it.

I was thinking a down under board between the legs could help. I would just a cutting board.

how does straightening the right leg contribute to being laid off?

• Thanks 1

Think about the walking motion. One leg extends and the other flexes. The extended leg supports your body weight as the flexed leg swings. 

He has stepped onto his right foot and is balanced on his right leg and hip forming an axis (post) for his left side (gate) to swing around. 

SneadPureDL.jpg.a0ae3651287f7d81c2ad35532c5e7e4c.jpg

Edited by Zitlow
  • Like 1

I have the same issue.  Mine is caused by my hips rotating too quickly.  My hips are usually fully rotated before my left arm is parallel to the ground which then causes me straighten out my knee to feel like I'm still rotating hips (when in reality they are fully rotated).  This also causes me to start rotating my hips too quickly on the downswing.   I have not found a drill.  But my misses are glorious low spin snap hooks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Retsof2021 said:

I have the same issue.  Mine is caused by my hips rotating too quickly.  My hips are usually fully rotated before my left arm is parallel to the ground which then causes me straighten out my knee to feel like I'm still rotating hips (when in reality they are fully rotated).  This also causes me to start rotating my hips too quickly on the downswing.   I have not found a drill.  But my misses are glorious low spin snap hooks.

This is exactly what I do as well. Just no way to stop it.

1 hour ago, kobe123 said:

I've used the lid from a plastic storage bin. It definitely helps to feel that squeeze in your inner thighs. I bet that would keep your knee from locking out. 

Another idea would be to try to get your weight moving toward your lead leg before you complete your backswing. Instead of trying to feel less straightening of your right leg, try adding flex to your left leg around the same point in your motion. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

45 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

Think about the walking motion. One leg extends and the other flexes. The extended leg supports your body weight as the flexed leg swings. 

He has stepped onto his right foot and is balanced on his right leg and hip forming an axis (post) for his left side (gate) to swing around. 

Thank you. I read the op and was like “ who says it’s bad “?     The teachers who want a seated position  are the ones robbing  power.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

48 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

It's obvious he has lost some flex in his right knee but it doesn't look like he has locked it out. Hard to tell with the baggy pants but that knee looks flexed to me. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

23 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Thank you. I read the op and was like “ who says it’s bad “?     The teachers who want a seated position  are the ones robbing  power.  

I'm not saying "straightening it" is bad, I'm say too straight is bad. If you look at a vast majoirty of pros, they all have quite a bit of trail knee flex, I do not have this.

22 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

I'm not saying "straightening it" is bad, I'm say too straight is bad. If you look at a vast majoirty of pros, they all have quite a bit of trail knee flex, I do not have this.

It's much much harder to straighten it too much when you aren't turning your hips too flat. It's not just how much you turn, it's how you are doing, since it's a pivot not really a turn. Simply restricting your hip turn won't work out well if you are still too flat. You should be looking at the tilt of your pelvis at the top, not just the trail leg 

7 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

It's much much harder to straighten it too much when you aren't turning your hips too flat. It's not just how much you turn, it's how you are doing, since it's a pivot not really a turn. Simply restricting your hip turn won't work out well if you are still too flat. You should be looking at the tilt of your pelvis at the top, not just the trail leg 

Any videos discussing this? Not 100% following.

Because of the way that our pelvises are designed,  the right side of the pelvis has only a small independent range of motion from the left side of the pelvis . So if you can restrict the lead side of the pelvis from moving too much, that will automatically restrict the amount  that the trail  side of the pelvis can move and along with it, the amount that the right leg will straighten 

Try these 2 simple ways of restricting the movement of the lead side of the pelvis 

1. Flare the lead foot out 1/4 turn towards the target 

2.open your stance by pulling back your lead foot 1 inch away from the target line

47 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

LOL, I agree with this...You also would get to your lead side when throwing a ball, but people hang back all the time.

People hang back throwing a ball too. Watch a rec league softball game. Woof.  Rainbow balls galore.  

1 hour ago, kobe123 said:

Sure. Locking it at the top ala daily couples or bubba probably isn’t for everyone ….. it tends to be a tall upright guys swing .  I’m not an expert. But to me. Guys with high hands that swing upright tend to have a straightish right leg.  And I think the upright turn pulls this leg up.  Try to take it back and reach straight up. You can feel it pull the leg straight vs if you swing flat and laid off.  Would you try to flex Freddie’s rear leg ?  I don’t believe so.  

so are they pointing you to positions or trying to fix a certain miss or flight ?  Can be the same. But certainly not always. . It’s just not a blanket rule I guess is my point.  A straight rear leg isn’t a sign of over the top , depends on what you do coming down.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

People hang back throwing a ball too. Watch a rec league softball game. Woof.  Rainbow balls galore.  

Sure. Locking it at the top ala daily couples or bubba probably isn’t for everyone ….. it tends to be a tall upright guys swing .  I’m not an expert. But to me. Guys with high hands that swing upright tend to have a straightish right leg.  And I think the upright turn pulls this leg up.  Try to take it back and reach straight up. You can feel it pull the leg straight vs if you swing flat and laid off.  Would you try to flex Freddie’s rear leg ?  I don’t believe so.  

so are they pointing you to positions or trying to fix a certain miss or flight ?  Can be the same. But certainly not always. . It’s just not a blanket rule I guess is my point.  A straight rear leg isn’t a sign of over the top , depends on what you do coming down.  

A straight right leg causes me to get laid off and pull the handle. 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

A straight rear leg will put weight too much towards the trail heel. 

Edited by golfarb1

8 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

A straight rear leg will put weight too much towards the trail heel. 

Depends. How straight.  Where are the hands. If you experiment you’ll feel the weight move toe to heel depending on where the hands are. Or at least I do. You have to lay it off to get it on the heel. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Plenty of issues with straightening trail knee too much.  Poor pressure transfer, failure to load the glute.   

drill.  Step up.  Can use a box like Tyler or a stair.     Can do the step up and off lead leg and step down - start standing on the box with the lead leg.  And then on flat ground do a lateral step down to right leg.     Dr kwon drills address this too

this is from a Tyler pay video

D211C6B1-3A41-450B-BF6F-F6EB15AD706E.jpeg.65c8ce61ce65c0821254a389f0e73065.jpeg6A4E3E6D-FB63-497E-98B0-AE19BB4B897D.jpeg.0c9b401809e6db2f8906c39c273b005c.jpeg

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Step down

75EFF081-1108-4BA5-8B8B-153EE63F786A.jpeg.88bb20f12637ff57fd97b6ac1963d399.jpegCB82CCC9-4A12-4CC4-BA15-B961EE03816C.jpeg.b3abc4adb30ce5672d4adddf4603f92e.jpeg

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified