2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New spiders for 2023

EHolm

6 hours ago, NNJ said:

this is honestly what irks me most about taylormade putters. Historically I have got along well with the spider series in terms of performance and found them to be reasonably decent value, until the paint chips, and it doesn’t take much (a few specs of seed on a green, etc). Even normal use where you always have a cover on except on the green can cause this. It’s honestly a loss to taylormade bc this alone makes me feel that they are less than premium

I’m the same. Always liked the putters but they look twenty years old within a couple of months. It’s been an issue since the spider ghost and spider blade. I’ve got a Rossa mezza monza thats 20 years old and still looks new!

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I enquired with Taylormade UK about the possibility of custom ordering a new putter (likely the Spider GTX) but with a lie angle adjustment… even if it had to be done through the My Spider programme. 

I was told that lie angle adjustment is not something that TM UK offer at all… 

I find that pretty poor really, considering how TM as a company push the importance of getting fitted, yet overlook one of the fundamentals of putter fitting. 

Edited by Mudweasel
  • Like 2

What's In Today's Bag.... 
TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5° (@9.75°) Fujikura Ventus Black 6
TaylorMade Qi10 15° Graphite Design Tour AD XC 7

TaylorMade Qi10 18° Graphite Design Tour AD XC 8  or  TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 85 
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Rescue 22° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95
Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-PW KBS Tour V
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F / 56.10S / 59.05T KBS 610
TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast #3

I like the look of the new Spider GT Brooke Henderson is using. 

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/Spider-GT-Center-Shaft/DW-IPR77.html?lang=en_US

Spoiler

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 9* 

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* Tensei blue

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW Nippon Modus 3 105 irons

Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105 wedges

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6STR putter

Well on the site the article lists MOI as 5300 on the GTX. I have read elsewhere that the GT is same as the X which are both just over 5000, so effectively not different.

Seems strange that through all these iterations of Spider the MOI has not effectively changed. What is the point on selling is on this new shape and all this weight in the back and giving us the true path alignment of the X back and after all that it is not any more forgiving than the Spider X, EX or the GT.

I just when companies release things just to release them when they don't offer improvements and frankly look worse.

Way more respect for Ping Mizuno Titleist who don't change things up as fast or until they can make something that offers better performance. This should be especially true with putters as people tend not to switch them out as fast or they are behaving.

Edited by mitchdoc

10 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I’m the same. Always liked the putters but they look twenty years old within a couple of months. It’s been an issue since the spider ghost and spider blade. I’ve got a Rossa mezza monza thats 20 years old and still looks new!

Yep! Clearly a lot of thought has gone into performance as well, as, at least for me, they usually do feel good and put a good roll on the ball, and are very stable. I’m baffled why they haven’t tried to put out a premium milled or even insert spider model out in addition to the standard offerings, but I guess there probably aren’t enough calls for this from players, and with the regular spiders a bit cheaper than a Scotty you can get some people buying one each year

• Like 1

I’m not entirely sure how the milled aluminum finish on the MAX differs from the Hydroblast finish, but I was very happy to see an unpainted option back in the lineup, especially in a SS. That being said, and I’ve mentioned this before, I still have a Tour Black and Chalk X that look like they did the day I purchased them, even after years of use on both. 

Obviously everyone’s mileage is going to vary, but it makes we wonder what’s happening to cause the damaged finishes some users have posted. I’m not one to obsess over club condition in most cases, but I do like a clean putter. I don’t go out of my way to protect them, but they’re in a head over if they aren’t being used. Some of the putters I’ve seen posted looked like they were rolled down the cart path, so I can’t help but think there’s some other factors at play. 

55 minutes ago, MFBach said:

I’m not entirely sure how the milled aluminum finish on the MAX differs from the Hydroblast finish, but I was very happy to see an unpainted option back in the lineup, especially in a SS. That being said, and I’ve mentioned this before, I still have a Tour Black and Chalk X that look like they did the day I purchased them, even after years of use on both. 

Obviously everyone’s mileage is going to vary, but it makes we wonder what’s happening to cause the damaged finishes some users have posted. I’m not one to obsess over club condition in most cases, but I do like a clean putter. I don’t go out of my way to protect them, but they’re in a head over if they aren’t being used. Some of the putters I’ve seen posted looked like they were rolled down the cart path, so I can’t help but think there’s some other factors at play. 

Speaking as someone who has a White Smoke IN-74, picture posted earlier in this thread with paint coming off, I can only tell you that the putter was kept in a headcover except when actually putting. I do not know why the finish failed but it did. The putter was wiped clean after each putt except when on a practice green. The putter was never in the bag without a headcover. In fact I replaced the original headcover because it wouldn't stay closed. The deterioration of the finish was definitely not because of abuse.

2 hours ago, Jersey golfer said:

The putter was never in the bag without a headcover. In fact I replaced the original headcover because it wouldn't stay closed. The deterioration of the finish was definitely not because of abuse.

That’s what I’ve heard, it just hasn’t been my personal experience. Maybe I got lucky and some finishes were just better than others? I certainly wasn’t suggesting that every user abused their clubs and lying about it. I just can’t figure out why there’s such a wide discrepancy between the good and the bad, because some of the putters and finishes posted here are frighteningly rough.  

I expect the milled aluminum top plate on the MAX to be a real winner though. 

1 hour ago, MFBach said:

That’s what I’ve heard, it just hasn’t been my personal experience. Maybe I got lucky and some finishes were just better than others? I certainly wasn’t suggesting that every user abused their clubs and lying about it. I just can’t figure out why there’s such a wide discrepancy between the good and the bad, because some of the putters and finishes posted here are frighteningly rough.  

Ive got 4 Spiders in different colors and variations and none of them have even the slightest of chipping. Headcover always on and they've been mint. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Qi10 9* PX Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70X

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 3W PX Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80X

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 19.5 MCA Tensei AV Raw White 90X 

TaylorMade '23 P7MC KBS Tour 130X

TaylorMade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 DG X100

TaylorMade Spider GTX Black 

TaylorMade TP5X

On 1/20/2023 at 1:15 PM, MFBach said:

It’s simple, the spider x had a paint-finish before the Hydoblast version. Paint chips very easily. All it takes is not using a head-cover, and it’ll look like as bad as you described in no time if you play regularly. Which is why they stopped using paint for the new spiders

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

I see on Brooke Henderson’s witb the putter is chipping round the insert already. Both my spider tour red and spider x copper chipped like mad and I kept the headcover on, didn’t use it on sandy greens, kept it clean making sure to use a very fine paintbrush to tease out any dirt in the grooves, etc. Mind you this has been a problem since the ghost putters and spider blades, so don’t know why’d the fix it now.

The irony is it’s just the paint they use. I stripped a battered spider back to metal and resprayed it with acrylic and lacquer and that never chipped. I’ve got 20 year old putters from other manufacturers that are fine and even have a Rossa monza that looks great for it’s age despite years of use by me and now my daughter.

@MFBach basically got it - if some are good and some are bad when people look after them then it points to one thing. Taylormade has terrible Quality Control. We know this from their other clubs that have/had issues such as the stealth and it’s removable face, the m3 and m5 cracking, previous irons where the bridge fell off (m6 I think) and so on. They don’t care.

Edited by philly2kuk
Stupid autocorrect on phone

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 1/19/2023 at 3:26 PM, philly2kuk said:

Wonder if Taylormade finally made a putter that doesn’t flake and chip, no matter how much you take care of it. THAT would get me to buy another Taylormade putter as all my previous attempts have looked like I’ve attacked them within a few weeks yet my other much older putters from other companies look great many years on.

They stopped using paint so no more chipping and flaking. It’s anodized aluminum for the GT/GTX, which is way more durable. But while they fixed the finish, they seemed to have taken a step back in other areas, like overall aesthetics, with these new spiders

At least they went back to KBS shafts for the GTX. I hope this indicates that they are done with their own in-house putter shaft; which they started using after the X

• Like 2

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

8 hours ago, mjo23 said:

They stopped using paint so no more chipping and flaking. It’s anodized aluminum for the GT/GTX, which is way more durable. But while they fixed the finish, they seemed to have taken a step back in other areas, like overall aesthetics, with these new spiders

At least they went back to KBS shafts for the GTX. I hope this indicates that they are done with their own in-house putter shaft; which they started using after the X

The fluted feel shafts they used after the X, starting with the EX was a collaboration with KBS on the design. They are using the KBS Tour Stepped shafts in the new series, both chrome and black.  It was introduced in the hydroblast series when the CT Tour was phased out. Both are still 120g

Edited by altitudegolfer15
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade TP5X

For anyone interested, I reached out to TaylorMade and KBS seperately to inquire about the Stepped shafts that are on the Hydroblast, and the new series. The TM rep said they are KBS replacements for the CT and when I reached out to KBS, it appears the KBS Tour Stepped is a new product which I suspect is what TM is using going forward. FWIW the Stepped shaft feels pretty good IMO. 

Screenshot_20230124_173053_Gmail.jpg

TaylorMade TP5X

18 hours ago, altitudegolfer15 said:

The fluted feel shafts they used after the X, starting with the EX was a collaboration with KBS on the design. They are using the KBS Tour Stepped shafts in the new series, both chrome and black.  It was introduced in the hydroblast series when the CT Tour was phased out. Both are still 120g

Do you know anything about these stepped KBS tour shafts. My golf store has Spider X hydroblast with both versions of the Kbs. Winding if there is a performance difference. Same with the the 2022 vs 2021 Cobra putter line. Wondering if Kbs had stopped producing the CT tour stepless.

Wondering if this Kbs tour rep. Would know if these stepped shafts are tour models or if there are 2 different versions. If he says that they are new and they are in putters or nearly 1 year...

Also I wonder why the change given most people seem to prefer the looks of stepless.

Edited by mitchdoc

I had a red spider and the paint chipped and started peeling within 6 months.  I bought an Odyssey 10 in black and it was perfect when I sold it to buy a PXG in black.  That was also perfect when I sold it to go back to my original true love: Scotty.  I don’t understand why the paint issue was so bad on the TM but the other manufacturers did not have that problem.  I have seen a friend’s PXG putter and all the paint has come off the shaft, but the head is still good.

it is frustrating as I still like to play with the spider on my home green as I love it’s performance.  I just got very annoyed looking at the paintwork (lack of).

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

On 1/13/2023 at 2:26 AM, rukahs said:

Rory McIlroy's return to Spider putter pays off at CJ CUP

Just release this again globally TM and stop wasting time and money on other, inferior looking models. Its what we all want.

Discount Golf World has these in stock to ship at once in the US:

www.discountgolfworld.com

866-411-4349

ask for Courtney

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth, my PGA superstore here in Denver got a handful of Hydroblast #3 Short slants. I was shocked when I walked in, I just had to pick up two of them. 

20230214_180541.jpg

TaylorMade TP5X

22 minutes ago, MFBach said:

Interesting. With them popping up in seemingly random places, it makes me wonder if they’re trying to move old stock and finally getting at least SOME of them into the US 

Thats exactly what I was told. Moving some inventory around. 

TaylorMade TP5X

I have gamed a Spider Tour Red CS with black insert for the past 4 years and love it.  I have used a spider off and on since 2006 and what I loved about them was the ability to change the weight.  With the newer models lately, they took that option away which kills it for me.  Sure I can throw lead tape all over it to get the weight up but why on Earth did they take the ability to swap the weights out?  Doesn't make much sense to me as a consumer but then again, who am I...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 10:23 PM, mjo23 said:

It’s simple, the spider x had a paint-finish before the Hydoblast version. Paint chips very easily. All it takes is not using a head-cover, and it’ll look like as bad as you described in no time if you play regularly. Which is why they stopped using paint for the new spiders

The platinum/silver putter paint around 2017-2018 was really really bad. These are probably the worst of the bunch. I stopped buying TM putters after that.

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread if anyone has used a Spider GTx yet? 

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

7 hours ago, agood3putt said:

Bumping this thread if anyone has used a Spider GTx yet? 

Had the opportunity to throw one together (GTX Black head, BGT Stability Blackout, Black/White Garsen Max grip). I was shocked with the feel. It was nice to roll and hitting it off the toe and heel had balls rolling out right to the target. Don’t know if one will ever make its way in to my bag, but this made me rethink Spiders. 

I’ll take some pictures later today and update. 

• Like 1