2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mini driver alternatives?

Drivingrangehero

4 hours ago, TravAz said:

FWIW - I have been down this road and back a few times. The X2Hot 2Deep was perfect. Then I got the crazy idea to "upgrade" to a Bertha "Mini 1.5" or something like that because I thought I wanted some adjustability. Last attempt was a Radspeed BigTour. 

I eventually went full 2 drivers, mostly due to the TXG video. 

I game a G410LST that won't go left, and a G425LSt that won't go right (with a reasonable swing that is). I feel like I can aim just inside the trouble on either side and let er rip. Same setup, same swing. G425 goes about 15y further. 

There isn't a 3w in the world I could possibly feel as confident in as my G410. As a rule I don't carry a 3w but will swap one in for my longer hybrid when we get over 7k yards, but would never hit it off of the tee. 

Even now, I wouldn't go back to the 2Deep. The 2 driver solution is simply superior unless you can work the ball both ways perfectly and are already hitting like 12+ fairways per round IMO. 

It would be stupid easy to dial in a G410 max with a dependable fade and spinning around 3k. 

A pro I knew set up his driver to fade and his three wood to draw so he’d have those options off every tee. 

• Like 2

Paging @Dan Drake.  The two driver setup is his specialty.

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

PING g400 stretch gets my vote

if you would ever consider hitting it off the deck. For a pure tee club I would go Callaway Mini 1.5, for me the 14* lofted up to 16* is very consistent yardage wise. 

• Like 2

PING G425 MAX DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

TAYLORMADE 300 MINI w/ACCRA TZX 265

PING G425 MAX 5W, 7W, 9W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 7-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA I-STEEL 105

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM

Due to the input received, I’ve decided to go with a 14* SLDR Mini

I like that they are higher spin, being that I will replacing a 3 wood

Im not sure why it comes with a super light 57g shaft, but I will be swapping the shaft out anyways, so I may have to choose between a UST Mamiya Heliem proto 59g tipped 1”  or a ACCRA TOUR Z X465 m5 70g shaft uncut. I’ll probably go with the Helium first since it’s more active in the tip, plus I like playing fairway woods and Drivers short and adding  weight 4-6g to the heads usually. 

thanks for all the help 👍

• Like 1

Thank you for the page, @gator022!

@Drivingrangehero This is a great question and the type of question that I really hope more golfers will start to ask about different clubs in their bag way more often!  

I love the idea of the SLDR mini, but with a different shaft than the 57g stock shaft.  I had this club for a while and while I did find it a touch "spinny," I think you should be able to mitigate that with the shaft change.  The 260cc head size should put you in a good place as well.  

The thing to remember here is that this is a tee shot specific club.  Sure, it's one that you "could" hit off the turf if the conditions were really good and there were no immediate hazards near the landing area, but it really is just for tee shots.  It should be a smidge (10% or so) shorter in distance than your other driver and be able to easily (or only) shape the opposite direction.  This will leave you with very, very few tee shots that you don't have a good/great option off the tee and that ability & confidence will really help your scores start to drop.  

Please let me know if you have any questions, this bag setup idea is near and dear to my heart!

• Thanks 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

1 hour ago, Dan Drake said:

Please let me know if you have any questions, this bag setup idea is near and dear to my heart!

Do you play the same shaft as you would a 3 wood, or do you go with a Driver shaft? 

I figured driver since it’s tee use only. 

I have 3 driver shafts

1.  Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX tipped 1/2 which is also my gamer,  I have 2

2. ACCRA Tour z X465 M5 un-tipped

3. UST Helium Proto f5 tipped 1 inch

The Aldila and ACCRA are both very similar off the TEE, I just prefer the Aldila for the slight kick through the ball, but the ACCRA is easier for me to work left to right. 

The Helium I was not flushing until I added 5g of weight to the head, then it was better, but I like the Aldila and ACCRA a bit better, I could totally play this shaft though….. a little more tip active which might be good for the Mini Driver

3 wood shaft options 

1. PX Evenflow Blue 75g 6.5

2. Tensei Orange CK 60
3. Kuro Kage silver tini 80s 

The best performer from the tee out of the 3W shafts I s the Evenflow 6.5, then Tensei Orange…… I hit the Kuro Kage super high. 

Thanks! 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, Drivingrangehero said:

Do you play the same shaft as you would a 3 wood, or do you go with a Driver shaft? 

I figured driver since it’s tee use only. 

I have 3 driver shafts

1.  Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX tipped 1/2 which is also my gamer,  I have 2

2. ACCRA Tour z X465 M5 un-tipped

3. UST Helium Proto f5 tipped 1 inch

The Aldila and ACCRA are both very similar off the TEE, I just prefer the Aldila for the slight kick through the ball, but the ACCRA is easier for me to work left to right. 

The Helium I was not flushing until I added 5g of weight to the head, then it was better, but I like the Aldila and ACCRA a bit better, I could totally play this shaft though….. a little more tip active which might be good for the Mini Driver

3 wood shaft options 

1. PX Evenflow Blue 75g 6.5

2. Tensei Orange CK 60
3. Kuro Kage silver tini 80s 

The best performer from the tee out of the 3W shafts I s the Evenflow 6.5, then Tensei Orange…… I hit the Kuro Kage super high. 

Thanks! 

Personally, I play the shaft that allows me to "feel" the opposite shot shape and it kinda just happens.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that every equipment change is really about how you react to it, and what that reaction then does to the ball flight.  

For instance, you can give two different golfers each a driver with a shaft in it that is "too" stiff for them.  Golfer 1 doesn't react to the shaft at all and consequently starts to hit it lower and more right.  Golfer 2 feels the extra stiffness and reacts to it by swinging harder and flipping at it a bit, resulting in a higher and more left ball flight.  And this holds true for every single change.  

So, for me, I want to "feel" like I'm fading my 2w and I have a shaft in there that is a touch heavier and "smoother" than my driver shaft.  Both of these characteristics result in the club "interpreting" my swing feel and resulting in a fade (more of a push really, lol!).  

BUT, for another golfer, they may want to feel the exact same swing for both of their driving clubs, in which case their shaft choice MIGHT change.  

If I was you, I would start with the ACCRA.  Remember, this club's #1 responsibility is to work the opposite way of your #1 tee shot club, so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Make sure it does it's main purpose first and foremost.  

Please keep updating this post, I can't wait to hear about your scores dropping!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

3 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

If I was you, I would start with the ACCRA.  Remember, this club's #1 responsibility is to work the opposite way of your #1 tee shot club, so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Make sure it does it's main purpose first and foremost.  

I have the same ACCRA at 20g heavier in my 7w and it’s phenomenal. 

I do plan on using this club on the holes that are <400y, and I definitely want to shape it left to right at will, so the ACCRA is the best shaft for that. 

I think TM put a super light shaft on the MINI to market it as a driver replacement .,…….. lighter shaft=more speed, but that’s marketing and not reality and I’m looking to hit a number to be in a location, rather than just send it as far as I can. 

I’ll have to book a Trackman session and compare stock yardages of the mini once I get it dialed to see how it sits in relation to my Driver and 5 wood. 

if I can split the difference, I’d be happy, if I can shape it better than my Driver, or equal to my 5 wood, I’ll be ecstatic’  

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Typo

I replaced my 45" driver with a 43" Callaway 14.5 3deep and am almost as long on good hits. However, I hit this much straighter so my net average is certainly better. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

TSR2+ is very confidence inspiring over the ball.  I ordered one new on whim, loved its size ( not too big ) , and also the good amount of sole camber which would help it off the deck.  It was a great club off the tee ( a few indoors sessions on a GC-Quad ) with superb feel IMO, but I knew even beforehand it would not be good for me off the deck.  I'm only 98 Driver SS and better served by my 19* hybrid as my longest wood.  Glad I got to try one though for a few weeks indoors, before moving it on.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2024  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

On 11/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, Dan Drake said:

Thank you for the page, @gator022!

@Drivingrangehero This is a great question and the type of question that I really hope more golfers will start to ask about different clubs in their bag way more often!  

I love the idea of the SLDR mini, but with a different shaft than the 57g stock shaft.  I had this club for a while and while I did find it a touch "spinny," I think you should be able to mitigate that with the shaft change.  The 260cc head size should put you in a good place as well.  

The thing to remember here is that this is a tee shot specific club.  Sure, it's one that you "could" hit off the turf if the conditions were really good and there were no immediate hazards near the landing area, but it really is just for tee shots.  It should be a smidge (10% or so) shorter in distance than your other driver and be able to easily (or only) shape the opposite direction.  This will leave you with very, very few tee shots that you don't have a good/great option off the tee and that ability & confidence will really help your scores start to drop.  

The SLDR Mini TP has a 77g Fujikura Pro 73 shaft. Good weight and very stable.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sergizmo said:

Ha, I think I have one lying around from a past 3 wood, but it would play at 42 and I will most likely play this at 43 inches. 

I have two Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX shafts. One that plays 44.75 in my TEE EXS 220 Driver and one in my back up driver that is a G400 Max that plays 44.5 and it’s tipped 1/2 inch. I also have a back up shaft which is the ACCRA TOUR Z X465 M5, that plays at 44.75” so I think I’m going to have a shoot out when I can. 

I will hit the ACCRA vs the Aldila and which ever one I can shape better left to right, I will use in the TM SLDR mini. 

Typically it has been the ACCRA, but since my AOA with a driver is +4 or +5 while my 3 Wood is -2 to -3 I’m thinking of using a beat Ping G400 stretch at a local golf shop as the demo, since I have adapters on both shafts for the G400 Max

I figure I can tee the G400 stretch a little higher than I would my 3 wood, but lower than my driver to mimic what it would do in the SLDR…. I just don’t have time to install both shafts in the SLDR for testing with a 5yr ,3yr, and a 3 month old baby while working 60 hours a week 😓 

I know it’s not ideal, but I think I can make an informed decision from the demo testing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sergizmo said:

Thanks @sergizmo . My SLDR Mini Driver TP had a Fujikura Motore Speeder shaft (same weight ie 77grams)...is this the same as “Fujikura Pro” just different naming/branding?

details here: https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/default/v1463473265710/docs/productspecs/2014/SLDR-S-Mini-Driver.pdf

Edited by JungleJimbo

16 hours ago, sergizmo said:

I am glad someone noted this.  I have the SLDR mini 16* in my bag with this shaft and despite hitting almost everything the past 5-6 years, nothing can knock it out of the bag.  Like the OP, I use it only off the tee and I have found nothing better.  I play it with the 77g Fuji shaft in X and it just works.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JFM628 said:

I have the SLDR mini 16* in my bag with this shaft and despite hitting almost everything the past 5-6 years, nothing can knock it out of the bag.  Like the OP, I use it only off the tee and I have found nothing better. 

I assume you still have a driver, but what is the loft of the club you have after the 16* SLDR mini? 

What are your playing lengths of your Clubs at the Top of the Bag? 

Mine goes 

Driver 7.5* at 44.75”

SLDR mini 14* at ? (Probably 43”)

5 wood 18* at 41.5” 

My last two 3W’s were  42” and 42.5”. My dispersion was a little better with the 42.5, but it was 2* weaker and the shaft was 15g heavier 

On 12/2/2022 at 7:30 AM, Drivingrangehero said:

I assume you still have a driver, but what is the loft of the club you have after the 16* SLDR mini? 

What are your playing lengths of your Clubs at the Top of the Bag? 

Mine goes 

Driver 7.5* at 44.75”

SLDR mini 14* at ? (Probably 43”)

5 wood 18* at 41.5” 

My last two 3W’s were  42” and 42.5”. My dispersion was a little better with the 42.5, but it was 2* weaker and the shaft was 15g heavier 

I play a Ping G400 Max at 45"  The 16* mini driver is with the 77g shaft (x) at 42"

The next club is either: 19* Tour Edge hybrid or 20* Ping Crossover 3i at standard lengths.

31 minutes ago, JFM628 said:

I play a Ping G400 Max at 45"  The 16* mini driver is with the 77g shaft (x) at 42"

The next club is either: 19* Tour Edge hybrid or 20* Ping Crossover 3i at standard lengths.

Thanks, 2 things stood out to me, I hit the ball high to begin with, but was shocked how high I hit the SLDR mini and I’m very straight with a baby fat at times with my Driver, but the SLDR mini was on a rope. I don’t think I’ve hit any club as high and straight as this club. 

I was only able to hit it at a range with range balls into a 2 club wind. 

The 57g Fujikura stiff shaft at 43.5” didn’t feel too light or loose, but the height was crazy. I feel like it was ballooning a bit. For reference I hit my Driver about 115-120ft high, but the SLDR must have been about 140ft

I couldn’t really gauge distance that well, but it carried 10-15 yards longer than my 5w.  I couldn’t tell overall distance because I was hitting to a flag that is in an elevated green at 238y away. My SLDR would make it in the green, but the 5w was 10 yards short, so it would bury into the face of the hill before reaching the elevated green.   I don’t think I’d have that much separation in overall distance from my 5 wood, but I think a shaft that fits me would be better. 

I can tell you this, the dispersion is way better for me than my 3 wood. 

I thought the 43.5” would be a bit too long, but it was a very comfortable length in relation to the head size and shaft weight. 

I look forward to reshafting it, I’m going to stay with the 43.5”, but the shaft will be 67g, so 10g heavier than the stock shaft. I figure I could lose a 1/2” if necessary, but the Aldila Xtorsion Copper will go in it, and it’s a high balancepoint shaft. 

Thanks for all the insight guys! 

• Like 1

Have had a Callaway Mini 1.5, 14 degree, in the bag for a few years.  Have two in case one get damaged.  I have gone through a plethora of drivers in the meantime and haven't found anything that if easier to find the fairway with... and is pretty long.  I'm one of the longest drivers in our group.  The old codgers constantly make fun of me for "not being man enough to carry a real man's driver"!!!  And... I take my share of money from those making the snide remarks!!!  I can turn it up to 16 degrees, but just don't seem to be able to use adequately as a 3 wood off the deck.  

• 10 months later...

I found a tour van (B stamp) r510tp 10.5 in like new shape at golfmart san diego for $50. I put a Speeder 77g x flex shaft from a tour edge three wood and drilled a hotmelt hole. The driver was already more upright in the 60-61 degree range. Playing it at 42.25 hotmelted to a d3.5 and this thing is a winner. I currently almost never hit my traditional driver and I am thinking about adding a 46" bomber for 2-3 shots a round.

I am carrying it 275-285 with a mid launch flat ball fight and no longer hit fairway wood from tee on tight holes. IE for less than $100 dollars I have turned a weakness into a strength.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, ARL67 said:

TSR2+ is very confidence inspiring over the ball.  I ordered one new on whim, loved its size ( not too big ) , and also the good amount of sole camber which would help it off the deck.  It was a great club off the tee ( a few indoors sessions on a GC-Quad ) with superb feel IMO, but I knew even beforehand it would not be good for me off the deck.  I'm only 98 Driver SS and better served by my 19* hybrid as my longest wood.  Glad I got to try one though for a few weeks indoors, before moving it on.

I have one for sale. 

I went through the mini driver stage, original Ping Rapture (which I will keep for a long time), TaylorMade 300 Mini, and TSR2+, since I was having driver problems.  A new shaft with an old 910 D2 12* head, and now I have a "mini" driver which I use for all tee shots.

Edited by gvogel
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have the RBZ Tour Spoon 13 degree on a HZRDUS Smoke shaft. My left leg is shorter (I have a lift), the whole play the ball up forward and hit up is a disaster for me.  It may be something I revisit in a few years (trying to hit a big one), but for now I love mini drivers. I also have the 2006 80s TM Tour Spoon reissue I like a lot, also 13 degree. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

On 10/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, OGGolf said:

I found a tour van (B stamp) r510tp 10.5 in like new shape at golfmart san diego for $50. I put a Speeder 77g x flex shaft from a tour edge three wood and drilled a hotmelt hole. The driver was already more upright in the 60-61 degree range. Playing it at 42.25 hotmelted to a d3.5 and this thing is a winner. I currently almost never hit my traditional driver and I am thinking about adding a 46" bomber for 2-3 shots a round.

I am carrying it 275-285 with a mid launch flat ball fight and no longer hit fairway wood from tee on tight holes. IE for less than $100 dollars I have turned a weakness into a strength.

That's a build I've always wanted to do and think I will soon - an R510TP 8.5° or 9.5° at 43" or less and go to town with lead tape.  390cc, big face, legendary solid club, hitting low bullets. 

My current 2nd club, an old OG Ping Rapture 3W, is pretty much perfect in that spot and no reason to change, but I think the R510TP might be fun to mess around with... like a driving iron or stinger club without having to manipulate a stinger while having more horsepower than a DI.

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I have been rolling with two drivers for years now. Found a Hibore XL Super Loft (15*, 460cc) in a used bin for about 40 bucks. 

it has the stock gold shaft which is super flexible but all I hit is high spinny bombs with it.  Ss is about 115 with driver and I can squeak between 250-270 with the Hibore. It is not perfect (been trying to find another to put an 83g Blueboard in) but I can’t bring myself to mess with the current one I have.  

The full size head makes it easy to find a good spot on the face and the extra spin keeps the ball online.  On shorter par 4 or anything that requires a playable tee shot, the club is money. 

now, the ultimate unicorn is the Hibore 2 wood but I haven’t seen one of those on eBay in several years. Great old thread on this site from about 2010 if the archives go back that far. 

• Like 1