New ShortGameChef (Parker McLachlin) Online Program

Crimson62185

I’m very intrigued with his knowledge and videos that I’ve seen on social media etc. He just released his new online program today, and it appears very extensive in a good way. But dang…..$470 for annual membership. Looking forward to see who tries it and getting some feedback on this board. 

11 hours ago, Crimson62185 said:

I’m very intrigued with his knowledge and videos that I’ve seen on social media etc. He just released his new online program today, and it appears very extensive in a good way. But dang…..$470 for annual membership. Looking forward to see who tries it and getting some feedback on this board. 

I guess I’ll be that guy…Seems like highway robbery to me. I can’t imagine anything mind blowing that the likes of James Ridyard hasn’t already covered. 

• Like 1

I like Parker McLachlin's approach to the short game a lot and have begun to adopt his methods, much of which he learned from Paul Azinger. The first lesson on his new site was on hitting the plugged bunker shot which I purchased (for $7.00). To the extent he continues to offer these video lessons on a one-off basis, I expect that I'll purchase them from time to time. 

Having said all of that, I agree that $470/year is high, although if I read the terms correctly it includes some personal virtual lesson time, so probably quite a bit cheaper than an in person 1 hour lesson. Still, it will be interesting to see the level of interest at that price. 

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

I took a half-day lesson with him. He's a really good short game coach and I've gotten a lot out of his teachings. He keeps things very simple. Def worth at least a couple of months on the site. Your pitching and bunker game will get better.

• Like 3

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

I signed up for a month just to see what it’s like. Very basic information if you have seen his pitch style. Which I have tired and really like.  If you haven’t had a good chipping and pitching lesson it’s with a month for sure. Videos are very short but easy to follow and understand. Nothing really ground breaking. Be interesting to see what the discord part offers. If he answers questions directly it will be worth it for sure

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

12 hours ago, sethdavidsdad said:

I signed up for a month just to see what it’s like. Very basic information if you have seen his pitch style. Which I have tired and really like.  If you haven’t had a good chipping and pitching lesson it’s with a month for sure. Videos are very short but easy to follow and understand. Nothing really ground breaking. Be interesting to see what the discord part offers. If he answers questions directly it will be worth it for sure

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Your comment about the videos being short and easy to understand, along with his thoughts on how and when to apply speed in these shots, is something that I like about Parker's approach. 

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Hstead said:

I signed up for a month and watch 80% of the videos in one day.  I have been working with a Champions tour player on the same exact stuff.  It basically reinforced what the pro was teaching me, even some of the same drills.  I am going to cancel after the first month because I have seen it all now, but it was worth it for me.  $47 to have him walk through stuff clarified some things for me and my short game has improved tremendously.  

I have been a handle puller, steep, leading edge stabber for too long.  I finally have it now and can use the bounce off the tightest of lies without making a mark.  No more chill peppers across the green for me or chunks that move one foot.  Hallelujah 

If you are not a handle puller what are you know? trying to understand thanks...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

4 hours ago, Wardonation said:

If you are not a handle puller what are you know? trying to understand thanks...

Very little wrist hinge or set on the backswing, zero downc0ck or lag, no forward shaft lean.  Basically removed all of the steep moves I had and shallowed out my angle of attack so I can return the shaft to where it was at address and use the bounce correctly.  The pivot and core drive the motion versus the arms and hands.

Edited by Hstead
  • Like 3

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

For free you can get the gist of his pitching ideas (the putting isn't really anything of note) by checking out The Golfer's Journal YT channel.  He does 3 or 4 short lessons with a couple of guys, ran into those recently - seeing him demonstrate may be a different way to take it in. I thought it was more effective now I've seen the vids.  I did the same - $47 and won't continue it.  It's a different way of getting shallow and using the bounce than Monte's basic idea, for example, or seems that way to me.  It's not for me, but I see a lot of good players using the same/similar technique and it works for them - more than one way to skin that cat.  But don't see any benefit in any long term subscription - pretty easy to get it (not saying easy to be good with it). 

14 hours ago, Hstead said:

Very little wrist hinge or set on the backswing, zero downc0ck or lag, no forward shaft lean.  Basically removed all of the steep moves I had and shallowed out my angle of attack so I can return the shaft to where it was at address and use the bounce correctly.  The pivot and core drive the motion versus the arms and hands.

So at address is your shaft "neutral"? When I try to do this I always feel like I am set up way left of target, do you feel that at all?

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

He has some good stuff, I noticed in the video I watched his left arm doesn't fold in the follow through like others teach. 

Don't know where I got it, maybe from someone here. If I want to pitch the ball a little higher I stall my chest coming down and the club quickly passes my left arm kicking the ball up in the air. 

3 hours ago, Wardonation said:

So at address is your shaft "neutral"? When I try to do this I always feel like I am set up way left of target, do you feel that at all?

Yes the shaft is basically vertical, and on the flop shot I actually lean it away from the target some.  I try to stay square.  Parker goes over all of the speed accumulators and opening the stance or aiming left is a steepening move and adds speed.  Parker is trying to reduce every move that steepens the AoA or adds speed.  I like it a lot.  Makes so much sense.  Parker has a segment with Keith Mitchel and the entire conversation is how Keith improved so much around the greens just by understanding the why's of what adds speed and reduces speed and shallows the AoA.

• Like 2

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

1 hour ago, Hstead said:

Yes the shaft is basically vertical, and on the flop shot I actually lean it away from the target some.  I try to stay square.  Parker goes over all of the speed accumulators and opening the stance or aiming left is a steepening move and adds speed.  Parker is trying to reduce every move that steepens the AoA or adds speed.  I like it a lot.  Makes so much sense.  Parker has a segment with Keith Mitchel and the entire conversation is how Keith improved so much around the greens just by understanding the why's of what adds speed and reduces speed and shallows the AoA.

Good stuff thanks for the share...

• Like 1

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

On 4/8/2023 at 12:11 PM, Hstead said:

I have heard many other short game instructors talk about being able to ADD speed to help with increased spin. Seems like this contradicts that on the surface of your comments. Do I have it wrong?

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM10 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Odyssey Triple T 

On 11/23/2022 at 8:37 PM, Scottbox said:

I took a half-day lesson with him. He's a really good short game coach and I've gotten a lot out of his teachings. He keeps things very simple. Def worth at least a couple of months on the site. Your pitching and bunker game will get better.

Where does he base his instruction out of? Which town/course?

Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Odyssey Triple T 

1 hour ago, Carson33 said:

I have heard many other short game instructors talk about being able to ADD speed to help with increased spin. Seems like this contradicts that on the surface of your comments. Do I have it wrong?

He has a shot to increase spin and the recipe does add some speed. But it's about which parts you use to add the speed. The enlightening part for me was understanding all the the components that add speed and how to take it away.  So with better understanding, you can add or subtract depending on what you need.

The other good aspect of his method of reducing ball speed accumulators (his term) with the shaft, AoA, face angle, setup pieces, and path etc, is that you can then be more aggressive through the ball with the bigger muscles and your pivot versus your arms and hands.  His thoughts are that the big core muscles are slow twitch muscles and are more reliable under the gun than fast twitch arms and hand muscles.

I have changed my opinion on my membership.  I was going to just stay for a month but then I dug into the Discord page and there Parker is very interactive and generous with his thoughts.  I have posted both my pitch shot motion and my bunker shot and he has replied with what I needed to work on.  That is worth the $47 per for me.  I posted my pitch motion and was going to wait since I didn't want to monopolize too much of his time and attention and then he asked people to post their bunker shots this weekend and sure enough he has commented on every person that has posted theirs.  

I would like to see him in person.  I have improved a ton and Parker confirmed my motion is solid and I am doing it correctly. BUT, and a HUGE BUT, under the gun I can revert back to adding bad habits leading to shaft lean and leading edge.  It is a lack of ability at the moment LOL versus bad technique.  I am working on it.  I have a couple of tournaments coming up the next two weekends so it is going to get tested.  Right now I would bet on FAILING a time or two solely based on my mental incompetence and fragile short game ego.

Edited by Hstead
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

Here is his latest GOLF.com article with videos.  This gives you a very good idea of how he teaches and what the videos are like on the member site.

https://golf.com/news/features/parker-mclachlin-golf-magazine/

The "Reliable Flop Shot" is the stupidest easy flop method I have ever used by a mile.  It is simple.

Edited by Hstead
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

22 minutes ago, Hstead said:

Here is his latest GOLF.com article with videos.  This gives you a very good idea of how he teaches and what the videos are like on the member site.

https://golf.com/news/features/parker-mclachlin-golf-magazine/

The "Reliable Flop Shot" is the stupidest easy flop method I have ever used by a mile.  It is simple.

Apart from the LIV ads, lol, pretty cool - very much what can be found more extensively from him on YT.  For me, I like that his bunker ideas on setup and release dovetail with what Monte has been teaching for some time.  The rest on regular pitches, to me, almost the opposite in terms of big muscles/pivot driven and seemingly little idea of wrist set or release.  I get what he is saying about "accumulators" without knowing whether that's something real, just reducing variables, both/either but seems like more of a "hold" on the way through - maybe I'm hearing/seeing that wrong?  The idea of release in the shorter shots for me is something that needs to bleed more into my full swing (early release and holding through impact the decades old pattern that is always being worked on), so I think I'd be scared to try a different method, but looks like no doubt it would work for sure, especially (?) if someone has pivot driven intents or feels?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Apart from the LIV ads, lol, pretty cool - very much what can be found more extensively from him on YT.  For me, I like that his bunker ideas on setup and release dovetail with what Monte has been teaching for some time.  The rest on regular pitches, to me, almost the opposite in terms of big muscles/pivot driven and seemingly little idea of wrist set or release.  I get what he is saying about "accumulators" without knowing whether that's something real, just reducing variables, both/either but seems like more of a "hold" on the way through - maybe I'm hearing/seeing that wrong?  The idea of release in the shorter shots for me is something that needs to bleed more into my full swing (early release and holding through impact the decades old pattern that is always being worked on), so I think I'd be scared to try a different method, but looks like no doubt it would work for sure, especially (?) if someone has pivot driven intents or feels?

He definitely doesn't want any hold off of the release.  He trashes Mickelsons "Hinge and Hold".  It is more about width on both sides and very little wrist hinge.  More Stricker and Jason Day.  With no wrist hinge you have to turn your chest both on the backswing and the downswing.  Drive it with the core, no unhinging of a wrist set.

The ball speed accumulators are for sure real.  These are some, basically anything that is going to deloft the face, increase AoA,  or add speed to the clubbed.

Weight left at setup

Shaft lean at setup

Feet apart at setup

Ball back in stance

Wrist Hinge

Closing the face

Getting the shaft vertical

Outside takeaway

Shaft lean at impact

Those are some of them.

So the opposite of those for the most part remove ball speed.  

Weight even in both feet at setup

Shaft neutral or vertical

Feet together

Ball position middle

No wrist hinge

Open face

Shaft stops at the "top" of the backswing nearly parallel to the ground

slightly inside takeaway

Shaft returns to neutral at impact

Edited by Hstead
  • Like 1

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

16 minutes ago, Hstead said:

He definitely doesn't want any hold off of the release.  He trashes Mickelsons "Hinge and Hold".  It is more about width on both sides and very little wrist hinge.  More Stricker and Jason Day.  With no wrist hinge you have to turn your chest both on the backswing and the downswing.  Drive it with the core, no unhinging of a wrist set.

The ball speed accumulators are for sure real.  These are some, basically anything that is going to deloft the face, increase AoA,  or add speed to the clubbed.

Weight left at setup

Shaft lean at setup

Feet apart at setup

Ball back in stance

Wrist Hinge

Closing the face

Getting the shaft vertical

Outside takeaway

Shaft lean at impact

Those are some of them.

So the opposite of those for the most part remove ball speed.  

Weight even in both feet at setup

Shaft neutral or vertical

Feet together

Ball position middle

No wrist hinge

Open face

Shaft stops at the "top" of the backswing nearly parallel to the ground

slightly inside takeaway

Shaft returns to neutral at impact

Thank you sir!

The Stricker and Day comparisons seem pretty much right on.  Definitely know it isn't hinge and hold, but the "width" he preaches seems like intentional or "more" width vs. what I'd call normal width, say on a wedge swing takeaway (that's how it's coming through to me, right or wrong, and the release is probably just more "subtle", again how it does through to me, and I just need to dive in deeper) - no question he's presenting the bounce so with the technique, the effect of using it seems the same as with more of a "toss" kind of approach.

Off to watch some more! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hstead said:

He has a shot to increase spin and the recipe does add some speed. But it's about which parts you use to add the speed. The enlightening part for me was understanding all the the components that add speed and how to take it away.  So with better understanding, you can add or subtract depending on what you need.

The other good aspect of his method of reducing ball speed accumulators (his term) with the shaft, AoA, face angle, setup pieces, and path etc, is that you can then be more aggressive through the ball with the bigger muscles and your pivot versus your arms and hands.  His thoughts are that the big core muscles are slow twitch muscles and are more reliable under the gun than fast twitch arms and hand muscles.

I have changed my opinion on my membership.  I was going to just stay for a month but then I dug into the Discord page and there Parker is very interactive and generous with his thoughts.  I have posted both my pitch shot motion and my bunker shot and he has replied with what I needed to work on.  That is worth the $47 per for me.  I posted my pitch motion and was going to wait since I didn't want to monopolize too much of his time and attention and then he asked people to post their bunker shots this weekend and sure enough he has commented on every person that has posted theirs.  

I would like to see him in person.  I have improved a ton and Parker confirmed my motion is solid and I am doing it correctly. BUT, and a HUGE BUT, under the gun I can revert back to adding bad habits leading to shaft lean and leading edge.  It is a lack of ability at the moment LOL versus bad technique.  I am working on it.  I have a couple of tournaments coming up the next two weekends so it is going to get tested.  Right now I would bet on FAILING a time or two solely based on my mental incompetence and fragile short game ego.

Great insight, thank you!

Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Odyssey Triple T