P790 2023

thread bump - 2 rounds in, loving the P790. Definite improvement over the first gen P790 I previously gamed. Love the short irons, consistent distances, confidence inspiring, great sticks. The finish is a little delicate but I don't care. as an aging 54 yr old really appreciate these keeping my distances where they should be. No flyers. 

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

5 hours ago, jjl said:

thread bump - 2 rounds in, loving the P790. Definite improvement over the first gen P790 I previously gamed. Love the short irons, consistent distances, confidence inspiring, great sticks. The finish is a little delicate but I don't care. as an aging 54 yr old really appreciate these keeping my distances where they should be. No flyers. 

Thanks for the update! In what way is the finish delicate?

The irons have a matte finish on them all around which shows little nicks, but I just looked at them again and they're holding up fine, it's a non issue. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Vessel Lite Lux

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, rzitup said:

Has anyone heard anything about a black finish P790 for the 2023 model?

Probably be mid-late season next year I'm guessing

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

So I really like how TM individually internally designed each iron different so can anyone tell just how much of a difference they feel from one iron to another and how much better they are from the 21' line. At first I really wasn't too excited about them as the 23' looks were almost identical but the more I read into what they have done.  I'm impressed with what they say, that the beauty lies within. I don't care if they have the mushy feel of PXG or feel like a Mizuno as I have had both irons and yes they are nice so I would just like to know are people who for the 1st time got the new 23 TM P-790 irons and how do you like the feel and performance compared to what you were playing. Yes as you can see I'm leaning more towards them

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

The P790 line is a winner. Any update will be small until some real new tech comes along the way which it seems we have maxed out for some time now. I love my 21 and I’m sure the 23 are great as well. Just not enough to upgrade.   I had 921 forged and these are better for me.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

18 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

So I really like how TM individually internally designed each iron different so can anyone tell just how much of a difference they feel from one iron to another and how much better they are from the 21' line. At first I really wasn't too excited about them as the 23' looks were almost identical but the more I read into what they have done.  I'm impressed with what they say, that the beauty lies within. I don't care if they have the mushy feel of PXG or feel like a Mizuno as I have had both irons and yes they are nice so I would just like to know are people who for the 1st time got the new 23 TM P-790 irons and how do you like the feel and performance compared to what you were playing. Yes as you can see I'm leaning more towards them

I was playing T300s, and the feel compared to them is night and day, the T300 is cast though.

I tested: All the new Titleist irons, the Srixon ZX5s, Cobra Tours, Cobra Forged Tec, Callaway Apex (older model), and the p790s beat all of them for both feel and performance. All except the Srixon ZX5s anyway, which was tough to chose between them two...

Now, someone above mentioned the finish, and that's my only "complaint" but tbh, I'm not really that bothered about it at all, it's really just general wear and tear.

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Minarets said:

The P790 line is a winner. Any update will be small until some real new tech comes along the way which it seems we have maxed out for some time now. I love my 21 and I’m sure the 23 are great as well. Just not enough to upgrade.   I had 921 forged and these are better for me.  

What would you say the big difference is between the 921 forged compared to the 790s? I'm a current 921F user and legitmately curious. 

5 hours ago, Marty86 said:

What would you say the big difference is between the 921 forged compared to the 790s? I'm a current 921F user and legitmately curious. 

They are considerably more forgiving.  I do think the 921F felt better when struck well, however, the 790s do not feel bad.  In fact, I love the way they feel. They feel more powerful off the face to me. 921 more buttery but the 790 feel like the ball rockets off the face.    I have no issue with fliers but my misses are way better with the 790.  

I am hitting more greens (I am a 4.1 GHIN) and irons are my weakness. I truly love them.   

Oops

Edited by PickItUpGolf
Wrong thread

On 11/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, PickItUpGolf said:

I was playing T300s, and the feel compared to them is night and day, the T300 is cast though.

I tested: All the new Titleist irons, the Srixon ZX5s, Cobra Tours, Cobra Forged Tec, Callaway Apex (older model), and the p790s beat all of them for both feel and performance. All except the Srixon ZX5s anyway, which was tough to chose between them two...

Now, someone above mentioned the finish, and that's my only "complaint" but tbh, I'm not really that bothered about it at all, it's really just general wear and tear.

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg

Funny, I had the T300's and still have the ZX5 (first gen), and the P790's are in the bag. And I'm the guy who mentioned the wear on the P790. The T300's were too chunky/wide soled for me in the long irons, they actually whistled when swung liked the old Nike Slingshots. ZX5 are a great iron but the P790's are outperforming them at the moment. Of course we're near the end of the season so the real test will be next year.. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Vessel Lite Lux

49 minutes ago, jjl said:

Funny, I had the T300's and still have the ZX5 (first gen), and the P790's are in the bag. And I'm the guy who mentioned the wear on the P790. The T300's were too chunky/wide soled for me in the long irons, they actually whistled when swung liked the old Nike Slingshots. ZX5 are a great iron but the P790's are outperforming them at the moment. Of course we're near the end of the season so the real test will be next year.. 

Very interesting!

The ZX5 MKIIs were honestly beating everything I tested them against, right up until I tested the p790s.

I was that confident I was going to go Srixon, that I even bought a Srixon hat lol. (I still play the ball, so not so bad).

Nearly end of the season? It's over here unfortunately, I'm now indoors. But! I did get at least 20 rounds in with them, and I really love them. People I play with were even commenting on how well I hit them, tells me I made the right choice I think.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, Marty86 said:

A better comparison would be the P790 and 923 forged....Askgolfnut compared them on YT, and they are neck and neck pretty much except different feels.  I know this a P790 thread, but the 923 forged beat out the ZX5 easily for me.  I like the 790's, but not crazy about the spin or feel.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping I230 4 - PW| TT DG 105 S300

Cleveland RTX4 50* & 56*| KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

1 hour ago, pjc said:

A better comparison would be the P790 and 923 forged....Askgolfnut compared them on YT, and they are neck and neck pretty much except different feels.  I know this a P790 thread, but the 923 forged beat out the ZX5 easily for me.  I like the 790's, but not crazy about the spin or feel.

Yea I get it you are a low spin player why you would not prefer the 790s., Conversely, I am a very high spin player. Therefore, they work very well for me.  

7 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Yea I get it you are a low spin player why you would not prefer the 790s., Conversely, I am a very high spin player. Therefore, they work very well for me.  

Me too.

That's the other reason the ZX5s weren't my choice actually, slightly too spinny.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Marty86 said:

Yea I'm a high spin player myself which is why I think I'd benefit from the 790s.

Have you seen/experienced any issues with gapping? I have watched a few comparisons against the new T200 on Youtube, and there seems to be a large yardage gap between PW and 7i? 

4 hours ago, David87 said:

Have you seen/experienced any issues with gapping? I have watched a few comparisons against the new T200 on Youtube, and there seems to be a large yardage gap between PW and 7i? 

I've not seen it. Everything seems to gap pretty well for me.

Will have to do a gapping session before the start of the year to see for sure though, got a few lessons to go before my swing is hopefully dialled in.

• 1 month later...

Any long term updates in the ‘23 790’s? Looking to get back into a set of either the ‘21 or ‘23. I just hit the ‘21’s at Golf Galaxy and they worked and felt great. Loved the DG 105 shaft. 

They definitely felt like the ball did rocket off the face compared to my PXG Gen5 0311P’s. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 11/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, PickItUpGolf said:

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg

The srixons damage a hell of a lot faster than those I assume. 

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

9 hours ago, ANimz said:

The srixons damage a hell of a lot faster than those I assume. 

I'm not sure, but I did see a few people mention the back badges on their ZX irons were damaging easily, think that was in a Facebook group.

Tools not jewels and all that, but it's nice when the finishes on things hold up well.

Although I don't mind the wear on these at all. 

3 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

I'm not sure, but I did see a few people mention the back badges on their ZX irons were damaging easily, think that was in a Facebook group.

Tools not jewels and all that, but it's nice when the finishes on things hold up well.

Although I don't mind the wear on these at all. 

Not sure if there were improvements to the '23 model.  I have the '22 ZX5's, and they got nicked up pretty quick.  Club face is fine and all so it doesn't bother me. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Love my 2021 P7 90s. They don’t look brand new but they don’t look bad either. No desire to upgrade my irons at this time.  But did you upgrade my wedges and my hybrid and my Threewood

On 1/5/2024 at 4:43 PM, OspreyCI said:

Any long term updates in the ‘23 790’s? Looking to get back into a set of either the ‘21 or ‘23. I just hit the ‘21’s at Golf Galaxy and they worked and felt great. Loved the DG 105 shaft. 

They definitely felt like the ball did rocket off the face compared to my PXG Gen5 0311P’s. 

Yes!  The 2023's are so much better.  Eliminated the flyer issue that all previous version suffer from, made them look better at address, and improved sound/feel. Everyone that I have had a set built for loves them.  One of my friends even bought mine after trying them and I wasn't selling lol.  They are great clubs, especially if you buy from someone who can get the swigweights correct.  You need to order through someone with a component account that can build properly because TM is all over the place with quality control.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

43 minutes ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

Yes!  The 2023's are so much better.  Eliminated the flyer issue that all previous version suffer from, made them look better at address, and improved sound/feel. Everyone that I have had a set built for loves them.  One of my friends even bought mine after trying them and I wasn't selling lol.  They are great clubs, especially if you buy from someone who can get the swigweights correct.  You need to order through someone with a component account that can build properly because TM is all over the place with quality control.

They fix the flyer issue in 2021, maybe even 2019, I cannot remember. But I know the 2021s do not have that issue. I have not experienced it.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

Appreciate the feedback. Heading to FL for some golf and when I get back I will be looking for a set of these. My beloved BLE Gen5 P’s will be finding a new home. I have owned the 2019’s and very short stint with 2021’s (hated the shaft). I will like having less offset and bounce compared to the PXG’s. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 minute ago, OspreyCI said:

Appreciate the feedback. Heading to FL for some golf and when I get back I will be looking for a set of these. My beloved BLE Gen5 P’s will be finding a new home. I have owned the 2019’s and very short stint with 2021’s (hated the shaft). I will like having less offset and bounce compared to the PXG’s. 

If you go to Orlando, check out Jesse James Golf.  They are who does all the custom builds and repair work for the best players in the area.  They also have a component account with TM and can do what I was describing earlier with the swing weights.  It is only possible if you get heads that have NEVER had a shaft installed. Makes a world of difference!!!

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

Personally, and I know I might ruffle some feathers, I like and think the 2021 are better. The finish is slightly darker and less resilient in the ‘23, and I know this bc I own both.  I have played them both since they were released, and the ‘21’s finish looks almost as good as the ‘23s, and they’re 2 years older.  It’s weird.  I also think the ‘21s look better at address.  They are not the same.  The ‘23s face height is slightly narrower as it transitions into the hosel, making the head look a little smaller.  That’s really not what I’m going for by playing the 790s.  I wish I had taken pics before I sold the ‘23s.  

• Thanks 1