P790 2023

On 8/8/2023 at 9:28 AM, JStang said:

I think these look really good. I would have them bent a degree weak to add a bit of spin. Does anyone know if the top line has been thinned out at all ? 

yes, the top line on the new ‘23 version is thinner than the ‘21 version. The overall head size is also slightly smaller. The new one looks great at address. 

1 hour ago, PickItUpGolf said:

Are there any more reviews out there with spin numbers available?

Or does anyone else want to share what spin numbers they were getting in testing?

I'm torn between these and ZX5 MKIIs

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

32 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

I thought I read that thread, looks like some more data has been posted since then though.

Thank you!

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

image.jpeg.2f7aa4a50c34cde71f4b1481dea37aab.jpeg

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 8/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, LBB said:

I think TXG did a video once while reviewing a club (maybe it was another YT channel), but basically explained that clubs don't have random "hot spots" that cause fliers.  There's just no such thing from a club design perspective.

Clubs have sweet spots, and obviously different parts of the club face will naturally provide different levels of spin, ball speed, and launch angle.  But when you just isolate face impact point as the only variable, spin, ball speed, and launch angle are very consistent for each individual point of the club face, especially the sweet spot. 

Where spin, ball speed, and launch angle can vary on the sweet spot is when the golfers angle of attack, face to path, or possibly grass between the club face and the ball are also variables that are not controlled.  And large variations in spin, ball speed and launch angle is what causes some shots struck on the sweet spot to go much farther than others.  Draw shots have more ball speed and less spin than straight shots or fade shots.  Knock down shots with a steep angle of attack and a low point well in front of the ball will impart far more spin than a shot teed up with a level angle of attack and low point right at point of contact.

Better golfers are more consistent with their ball striking to control their angle of attack, face to path, and low point, so they see much less variation in their expected spin, ball speed, and launch angle.  As a result, they see less variation in their expected carry distances.  Golfers who are less consistent with their ball striking will naturally see more variations in their distances, but that's not necessarily a problem with the club that needs to be fixed and addressed in an updated model.  All golfers can still experience fliers out of the rough because there is nothing they can do to remove grass between the face and the ball at impact that will reduce spin. 

Players distance and game improvement irons are designed with technology to reduce spin, increase ball speed, and increase launch angle (thinner faces, hollow body, tungsten, etc.) to gain more distance, so those types of irons are by nature susceptible to more variation in spin and ball speed if the user is not consistent with their ball striking.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  If you want to avoid having shots on the sweet spot spin 20% lower than your ideal shot, either strike the ball more consistently with angle of attack, face to path, and low point or move to an iron set that isn't as focused on low spin, ball speed, and launch angle so that the outlier differences in your ball striking might only reduce spin by 10%.

Plenty of club testing out there that shows this pattern.  Where a tester uses something like a t100 and avg spin is 6500, with a standard deviation of 250 rpms, and the "outlier" low spin shot is 5800 (700 rpm difference from avg or 10.7%).  Then they test the T400 type game improvement iron and avg spin is 4800, with a standard deviation of 300 rpms, and the outlier low spin shot is 3900 (900 rpm difference from avg or 18.8%).

I’m pretty much with you. I played SGI irons for a long time and never thought irons created hot spots or flyers. But I’m a high spin player. I’ve got a buddy playing 790’s and I see a flyer about once per 2 rounds. I just think the iron isn’t a great fit for some of his delivery characteristics. 

Ordered mine on 8/18, and was happy to see the box on the porch yesterday 8/28.  Unfortunately, the box felt a little light and the only club in there was the gap wedge lol.  So I called them up and of course there is a backorder on the KBS Tour Lite shafts.  Told me I am now looking at end of September for delivery.  Not too thrilled about it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, FairwayJ_90 said:

Ordered mine on 8/18, and was happy to see the box on the porch yesterday 8/28.  Unfortunately, the box felt a little light and the only club in there was the gap wedge lol.  So I called them up and of course there is a backorder on the KBS Tour Lite shafts.  Told me I am now looking at end of September for delivery.  Not too thrilled about it.

Order a set of irons and get a wedge?! I don’t know if I’d laugh or cry. I thought the days of having to check on availability of a component prior to ordering were behind us. 😳 

Got mine on release day, KBS tour stiff, standard LL&L.

Two rounds in, and I absolutely love them!

• Like 2

My 790’s came in yesterday and I got to play 9 holes with them today. 4-PW on DG S300’s. Coming from Ping i525’s, I liked the feel and sound much better but most of all the turf interaction. They seem extremely forgiving and launch the ball so easily. 

Waiting on a set of T-150’s to arrive any day now… might keep both sets for the rollercoaster ride that is golf. 

• Like 2

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

I play the 21' and my buddy got the 23's in yesterday so we hit the range. 

I got to hit a lot of shots with his. His are off the shelf, stock regular shafts, no adjustments made. I loved the 23' sound and feel, it was a bit different but I cant really describe it.. more of a pop maybe? Im bent 1 degree forward but noticed the ball flight on the 23' were beautiful. I am not sure if it was in my head or not but I liked them a SMALL fraction more than mine, probably honey moon'd them since I took the first swings with them. 

I was very impressed and definitely would game them but at the same time wouldn't upgrade over mine. 

Just had the best range session of my life with them. I’m sure the heavier shafts (I’ve been needing to move up to heavier shafts for a while) are playing a roll in that but sheesh….. 

My T-150’s come this week and was really planning on selling the 790’s off when they arrive. Might need to spend some more time on that decision… 

golf… 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, snowmangolf said:

Just had the best range session of my life with them. I’m sure the heavier shafts (I’ve been needing to move up to heavier shafts for a while) are playing a roll in that but sheesh….. 

My T-150’s come this week and was really planning on selling the 790’s off when they arrive. Might need to spend some more time on that decision… 

golf… 

By the way, the long irons do seem to launch the ball with absolute ease 

54 minutes ago, snowmangolf said:

By the way, the long irons do seem to launch the ball with absolute ease 

Considering T300s are meant to be "game improvement" and the p790s more of a players distance, I was surprised by how well I can hit the 6 and 5 iron (not my strongest clubs at the moment tbh, need work there).

image.jpeg.4e08158bbe516c3ee0194ab384392424.jpeg

When comparing the 2021 vs 2023, it seems to be appreciably worse in almost every aspect... This is further confirming my theory that Taylormade are simply the best at seasonally refreshing the visuals (but not much else) every year.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim Max - Dr, 3W, 3H
Nike Forged Blades - 3-PW

Titleist Vokey SM9 - 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 - P

On 9/13/2023 at 8:16 PM, kwonye said:

image.jpeg.4e08158bbe516c3ee0194ab384392424.jpeg

When comparing the 2021 vs 2023, it seems to be appreciably worse in almost every aspect... This is further confirming my theory that Taylormade are simply the best at seasonally refreshing the visuals (but not much else) every year.

Apparently you didn’t watch the video because Cool Club’s take the opposite stance. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

On 9/15/2023 at 2:13 AM, noodle3872 said:

Apparently you didn’t watch the video because Cool Club’s take the opposite stance. 

Wouldn't suit his narrative obviously lol

I'm at about 5 rounds and a range session with mine now, and I have to say I absolutely love them!

It was very tough to pick between them and the ZX5s (or a combo Srixon set) but I know I made the right choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

Wouldn't suit his narrative obviously lol

I'm at about 5 rounds and a range session with mine now, and I have to say I absolutely love them!

It was very tough to pick between them and the ZX5s (or a combo Srixon set) but I know I made the right choice.

If I could ask

what IS the big change this version - anyone?

if you had to pick 1 or 2 things

debating this vs the Miz 245's

appreciated

32 minutes ago, Morry said:

If I could ask

appreciated

Aside from appearance, the 23 model seems to be slightly more forgiving and is launching higher with less spin yielding more distance without any loss of stopping power. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

4 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

Aside from appearance, the 23 model seems to be slightly more forgiving and is launching higher with less spin yielding more distance without any loss of stopping power. 

thanks

so the engineers figured out a way to take even more spin off with tungsten to alter launch conditions to counterbalance the loss basically?

the "more forgiving" part - is that across face (toe) as well as high on face or how would you describe ?

thanks - much appreciated

19 hours ago, Morry said:

If I could ask

appreciated

I can't compare them to the '21 model, because I never even looked at it.

I'm coming from T300s and wanted a more "middle of the road" iron (I have 2 sets of players irons I really shouldn't be gaming too).

I tested Srixon ZX5 MKIIs, Cobra Forged Tec and Tours, Titleist full new range (minus T100s), and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

Up until the p790s release, I was 100% convinced I was getting the ZX5 MKIIs (or a combo set they'd feature heavily in), they beat everything else I tested them against, then I tested the p790s and was surprised by how much I liked them. They had the added feel I was looking for (T300s have a little, but nothing compared the my Cobra CB/MBs or 923 Tours), and they're super forgiving. I also like that I've made a step up without losing any distance in the long irons (they're only .5 degree weaker lofted than my T300s).

What made me pick the 790s over the ZX5s was a little bit of looks, resale value, and knowing Taylormade's customer service is really good, Srixons have great looks too, different but I like them a lot, but the resale value and not knowing what their support is like kinda swayed me towards the 790s.

Hope that gives you some extra info to work with.

I didn't test against the other Mizunos in the range like the 225s etc, because I know the 245s etc are coming. They're going to be a great option too I'm sure!

I’m sure the new 2023 P790s are great.   I can’t get enough of my 2021 P790 with MMT shafts. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Just demo'd the '23 versions of p790, T200, Paradym and JPX923 Hot Metal Pro. All good irons but went with the P790. T200 - don't like the chrome finish. Paradym - nice irons but not a fan of the naming, chrome finish or the badging. JPX923HMP - easiest to launch out of the group, but mid to long irons were too chunky at address. Went with P790 for some subtle reasons - they use the 96 gram version of the DG105 which my moderate SS likes, their stock lengths are -.25" compared to other manufacturers, love the stock Z grip 360 grips, and love the matte finish on the clubs. Best looking irons on the market IMO. Can't wait to take them out for a spin.   

• Like 2

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

9 hours ago, jjl said:

Went with P790 for some subtle reasons -  their stock lengths are -.25" compared to other manufacturers

Out of interest did you compare them in hand or look at the online specs? Length is a real hornets nest, so for instance TM moved to the ground plane measurement method a few years back at which time it looked like their standard spec had got 0.5" longer but the actual build was pretty much the same. But OEM's all have their own approach, so a 37" 7 iron can look different from OEM to OEM. As someone who plays clubs +0.5" and thinking of upgrading my 2017 P790's, I'd be interested in understanding if I will need to go +0.75" or if the variance is other OEM's measuring differently but the clubs playing the same

I compared them in hand, stock lengths, the P790 are definitely .25" shorter than the other irons stock. I know the published specs say they're the same length. I noticed this also with the first gen P790's I used to have. 

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux