i230 / Zx7 / 223 / T100 … JPX 923?

Clemente80

I appreciate all the recent threads comparing the i230, Zx7, 223, T100. But how do the JPX 923 compare?

I’m a 12 HCP and irons are a strong suit.   Looking for forgiveness and maybe a little workability, not looking to increase distance but if I gain a little I’m not going to complain.

I’ve done a few fittings and really like the Zx7 and T100 but I don’t think I’m good enough to play the T100. I wanted to like the i230 but just couldn’t get comfortable lining them up (offset?). I also wanted to like the 223 bc I have a soft spot for Mizuno irons but they didn’t do anything special for me. So just wondering if the JPX 923 are in the same class as the others mentioned above and whether I should wait for the 923 Forged or just test the 923 Hot Metal Pros. Thanks I’m advance.

8.4 here & played the newest T100 all season,. Bought them because I liked the improved look but never loved them like I did the previous T100.. 

Have tried both the ZX7 & 223's a few rounds. The ZX7 were great but I preferred the smaller profile of the T100 & the 223's were nothing to brag about for me either.

I will be Waiting on the New 923 Forged with high hopes they can kick the T100's out.. I loved my old 900 Forged but didn't care for the 919 for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

Piling on .....I'm  OLD and slow but got over my fears about the T100 size because they're exactly what I love looking at .....now truth be told I don't play long courses so I rarely have more than 6i into the green but the 4 and 5i are easier to hit than appearance.....actually there is a gradual increase in size from short to long....progressive I'm guessing is a better word. Get the right shaft and you'll love them. 

Not good enough to the play the T100? I bought Mizzy MP20 MMCs when I was at least a 15 cap.  Play what suits you.  They worked best for me.  Plus, cap doesn't tell an iron striking story, it tells an overall golf score story. Perhaps you struggle with your driver, you aren't good around the greens, or can't putt (in my case, all 3).

If you are hitting greens consistently from 160 with these irons, there is nothing wrong with playing them! My first round with them, I hit a 5-iron from 195 to within 10 feet and had a really good birdie opportunity on a 185-yard par 3 with my 6-iron.  I still shot a 95 due to my sub 20% fairway accuracy, but the irons were working. 

I really recommend the MMC if you can find a good set used. I loaned a pair of 223s and there was zero improvement for me. 

• Like 1

I had a ZX combo set that I traded in for the 923 HMPs. BIG MISTAKE! I got caught in the "I need forgiveness trap". If your not looking for distance stay away from the Hot Metals and wait for the 923 Forged and Tour lines. The PW on the HMPs is 42.5* and the gap it created was absurd. I even got the GW which is a generic 923 not specific to the HMP. You could try the HL version but the offset might drive you nuts. Fortunately they had 90 day playability and I am back in a set of ZX7s. The Hot Metals are sure pretty irons but if you don't need distance I would take them off your list.

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

I give a vote for the newest GBB.  High, straight, and long all day.  In all seriousness though, if you've hit all of them and can't find one that is appreciably better than the others, then you can probably buy any of them and be happy right?  The 923F is going to be larger and more offset than the T100 and be similar in size to the ZX, 223, and i230.  In fact you can probably hit the 921F and T right now and see if you like them, the HM iterations were not that different.  

I am going to suggest to maybe look at something like the PXG 0311T.  They are smaller offset wise than almost anything on your list, will be about the size of the i230 but will give you all the forgiveness of the HMP without the chunky look or strong lofts.  You can call PXG and order the Gen3 and Gen4 over the phone as only the G5 is available on the website.  I just ordered i525 but I am still jonesing for a set of PXG Blacks.  I had the 0211DC and they were fine but there's just something special in those 0311s that it was basically love at first swing when I tried the Gen2s and I've been craving them ever since.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Thanks all, great thoughts here. 

I like the T100, but I don’t feel I should be playing “the number 1 iron on tour”, since nothing about my game is tour-like. But damn they feel great at impact. They take me back to the buttery feel of the MP32.

The Zx7 aren’t as sweet at impact, but still buttery. And then I don’t feel stupid about using the same irons as Speith. It’s all a mental thing for me, the size of the T100 and Zx7 are both fine.

I recently tried a 921 F or T, not sure, but it seemed like a pretty good balance. They seemed similar to the MP18 MMC, which I liked, but which I also moved on from. Maybe the 923 won’t be much different - pretty good irons but nothing that says wow.

Thanks for the info about the HMPs being distance-oriented. Definitely staying away from those.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago so I’ve thought about going to the PXG centers, but I don’t know if I could forgive myself. I don’t have any grudge agonist the formerly high prices, and Parsons is surely a genius, but if I bought his clubs I don’t know if I could get his annoying commercials out of my head.

• Thanks 1

Hot take: workability for irons is vastly over-rated. If you need to bend something due to tree , you are deploying radical techniques anyway to get a bender. A 5y butter fade to a par 3 due to pin position, that's tour level game not for us. And those guys and gals also miss those shots with decent frequency, so what chance do we really have to do it with any accuracy? 

Aim away from trouble, hit the shot as strait as you can at target, see where it goes. It worked great for that Jack fellow in course management, maybe he was onto something. 

OP, play what you like and don't over think it. If you really like the T100s perhaps split the set a bit, go T200 in the 4-6 iron and 7-W T100. IMHO confidence with 4-6 irons is key as we are trying to just get that shot on the green, if its <30' from the pin that's a bonus.

If a bit more chunk helps you mentally go with it. If you can look at that T100 5i and go 'this is yummy', then just game it. I bet if you played say 20 rounds each with a set of T100 and a set of T200s...your cap would not vary by more then a shot or two 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clemente80 said:

I like the T100, but I don’t feel I should be playing “the number 1 iron on tour”, since nothing about my game is tour-like. But damn they feel great at impact. They take me back to the buttery feel of the MP32.

The Zx7 aren’t as sweet at impact, but still buttery. And then I don’t feel stupid about using the same irons as Speith. It’s all a mental thing for me, the size of the T100 and Zx7 are both fine.

I recently tried a 921 F or T, not sure, but it seemed like a pretty good balance. They seemed similar to the MP18 MMC, which I liked, but which I also moved on from. Maybe the 923 won’t be much different - pretty good irons but nothing that says wow.

Thanks for the info about the HMPs being distance-oriented. Definitely staying away from those.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago so I’ve thought about going to the PXG centers, but I don’t know if I could forgive myself. I don’t have any grudge agonist the formerly high prices, and Parsons is surely a genius, but if I bought his clubs I don’t know if I could get his annoying commercials out of my head.

Only you can really decide.  I would say put the thoughts aside that it is the most played iron on tour and play what works best for you.  Everyone has good and bad days, but if you are purposely handicapping yourself because you think you aren't good enough when the results say otherwise doesn't make sense, IMO.  If you hit the 921F and T and liked them, then hold off for the 923.  Being in Chicago, like where I am, the weather is basically shut down for golf now anyways.  They launch in about 5-6 weeks anyways, if you can hang tight, you can try them then.  The new Srixon and Taylormade stuff will also be released by then too.  You'll have a bunch of new toys to drool over and make you even more confused than you already are!

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I reject the idea of "need" or "deserve" when it comes to the style of irons you decide to play, but not on any moral/ethical/emotional basis. I just think it's false logic. Some guys get better results with skinnier looking clubs, narrower soles, less offset, etc. 

Most of my buddies play GI irons that are way more forgiving (on paper) than the ones I carry. I've used ZX7's off and on but mostly Z765's the last few seasons. If you're used to looking down at a P790 or some HMP's my irons probably look small but in historical terms they really aren't. It's just that GI/SGI heads have gotten larger over time. 

I recently started playing Z Forged short irons. With the right shaft I will center those up as often as my Z765's and I get very similar results. I don't "need" or "deserve" to play something that looks like a muscle-back, but the narrower sole and heavy head weights seem to work for me. I practice with impact stickers and can center them up over and over again. 

The first time I waggled a T100 it looked pretty intimidating to me, probably due to the lack of offset. I'd like to revisit them after playing with these Z Forged. Everyone says they're friendlier than they look. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Not as much love for the 223’s as I expected!? Even if I do get another set this coming season my 223’s are not going for sale quite yet. They feel amazing and fairly forgiving. Let’s face it no matter what club you are swinging you still need to put a decent move on it. Some just inspire that good move the others.

As mentioned earlier the 923f and i230 will be getting a run. Excited to see how the 923F look and feel in person. Then put them up against all three

I love all the latest Mizuno Pro and JPX-223 offerings ( I'm a confirmed Mizzy fan-boy ) and would readily game the 223 having had a couple sets of MP-18 MMC previously.   I am fortunate to have anytime access to my instructor's Mizuno fitting cart, so I can mix and match heads and shafts to my hearts content.   I also had ZX7 and ZX5 sets, but not enough spin for me  and bit lower launch than what I need.  Had the latest T200 as well, which were great performers, but moved on from them to chase something else ( and the clicky feel/sound  from their plastic backsides ).  I also suggest to take a sniff at the Wilson D9 Forged.  I put them into play late season and will roll with them for 2023 -> stronger lofts, yet launch high enough with enough spin for me, great feel and great looks IMO.  Though I will be sniffing at the latest T200 whenever they get revised in 2023.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo