2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

3 hours ago, Joelness said:

I found out the key to great golf!!!

Get laid off and spend 60 hours a week practicing (I need to spend some time job hunting and taking care of the house.)

I went from feeling slumpy through June to 70-68-67 this weekend at Fox from Blacks-Blues-Blues.

Perfect scenario: Start the new job mid-August but get the offer soon so it can be 100 hrs/wk :classic_wink:

Hahahaha. Are you still doing IT dev stuff? Or looking to move on to something new? Or you could chase the dream again...

Think About It GIF by Identity

Edited by thaar

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Just picked up my new driver shaft which I got fit for Monday. So much for saving money by buying last years head 😂

Hoping the weather holds so I can get out after work today 🤞

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Edel E-1

Weather fortunately held out last night. Started off with a smooth 4-putt double on 1, but then carded 7 straight pars and finished with a birdie. Not sure what I was thinking with the first hole lol.

My play has been pretty solid recently so hopefully it carries over into my match play on Monday. If I win, I advance to the elite 8 which starts to get prize money. 🤞

I definitely like the new driver shaft though the ball flight is higher than what I'm used to. Not necessarily a bad thing though - I get more carry but less roll out. I don't think it will take long for me to completely trust it.

• Like 3

Edel E-1

@Joelness straight tearing up the Airport in Cheyenne! Great playing!

I know a lot of dudes up there playing in the Wyo Open this week, and you were by far the lowest of anyone I know. A few of the guys I grew up with have gotten pretty rusty!

• Like 3

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

10 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

@Joelness straight tearing up the Airport in Cheyenne! Great playing!

I know a lot of dudes up there playing in the Wyo Open this week, and you were by far the lowest of anyone I know. A few of the guys I grew up with have gotten pretty rusty!

I must be getting old, i know a lot more guys in the senior flight than any of the others. 

• Haha 3

On 7/6/2023 at 1:01 PM, thaar said:

Hahahaha. Are you still doing IT dev stuff? Or looking to move on to something new? Or you could chase the dream again...

Think About It GIF by Identity

Dev stuff. The company I was working for had a bunch of contracts cut and only clearance stuff left so I got the axe since I don't have it. There are enough prospects already out there that I will probably be back to work quicker than I want tbh.

I mean..... This weekend kinda makes me want to chase it for another summer. However, I have one more mortgage than I used to and it's a lot more expensive. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joelness said:

Hey, at least the shaft will last a while. It's also the most important part.

True true. Just wasn't anticipating to drop that much money on a new club this season.

The shaft feels great, but I feel like it launches too high. I have my singles match play this afternoon, so I'm giving it one more go to see how it performs, but I may need to have them adjust it. Apparently adjusting the ferrule can impact the spine alignment quite a bit on a driver shaft.

Edel E-1

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

Too high you say? I'm doubtful it really is 'too high' to be optimal. I'm guessing it's just higher than you are used to making you think it's too high when it's likely where it should be. Launch monitors have told us that high launch no spin are the ideal conditions for a driver. I have played and continue to play with some of the best Am's around and I can tell you right now that all the best drivers I play with launch it pretty high. I would say that you almost can't launch it "too high" as long as spin rates are solid and it's not rising on you through the middle third of the ball flight.

I have spent a lot of practice time since my own swing changes trying to launch my own driver as high as I possibly can to get over trees and such. It's much easier to bring down your ball flight by simply leveling off your shoulders at address than it is to learn how to hit it high.

I'm not saying it's not possible but to me it's most likely just something you're not used to and not actually a problem.

Always appreciate your input. The ball flight is certainly different than what I'm used to, so maybe it's ok. I would like to get back on a launch monitor to confirm everything is what was intended.

One of the things I'll never forget is playing Racoon Creek with you years ago (I think seven dewey as well) when you said you were going for the green but all of us thought you were nuts since it looked like you needed an 8i to get over the tree on the corner lol. And sure enough, you put it on the front edge.

• Like 1

Edel E-1

2 hours ago, thaar said:

Always appreciate your input. The ball flight is certainly different than what I'm used to, so maybe it's ok. I would like to get back on a launch monitor to confirm everything is what was intended.

One of the things I'll never forget is playing Racoon Creek with you years ago (I think seven dewey as well) when you said you were going for the green but all of us thought you were nuts since it looked like you needed an 8i to get over the tree on the corner lol. And sure enough, you put it on the front edge.

Yeah, I think confirming your average launch, ball speed, and spin rates is a good idea. I'm trying to launch my driver in the 14 range most of the time. I actually swing a 10.5 and most drivers you see me hit are teed up so I can try to swing 3-4 degrees up on them.

Oh man, I forgot about that. It was definitely a questionable shot that I wouldn't pull in an individual stroke play but it was fun AF to hit. Number 7, with that stupid tree in the middle of the fairway. I miss their invitational..... I really like that track

• Like 1

Three years @Joelness

The USGA announced on Thursday that Philadelphia Country Club, in Gladwyne, Pa., will serve as the stroke-play co-host course for the 2026 U.S. Amateur Championship. As previously announced, Merion Golf Club, in Ardmore, Pa., will host both stroke play and all match-play rounds when the 126th edition of the championship is played Aug. 10-16, 2026.

16 hours ago, Dancin said:

Three years @Joelness

The USGA announced on Thursday that Philadelphia Country Club, in Gladwyne, Pa., will serve as the stroke-play co-host course for the 2026 U.S. Amateur Championship. As previously announced, Merion Golf Club, in Ardmore, Pa., will host both stroke play and all match-play rounds when the 126th edition of the championship is played Aug. 10-16, 2026.

I'll take any of the years, lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaar said:

Had my match play yesterday afternoon at South Suburban and it was the most exciting match I've played in. Fortunately we were evenly match where I only had to give up one stroke. My opponent drove the ball extremely well and his putter was on fire nearly all day.

I started off playing fairly well aside from a difficult 3-putt on 1 to push the hole. I was even par and up 2 after 6, but then the wheels started to fall off and had an awful 3-hole stretch, and ended up all square at the turn. 

Hole 10 - I stuck my approach to inside of 5ft, but he made a 6-footer to save par and I lipped out my putt for birdie. 11 was ugly for me so I went back down 1, then he made another great putt on 13 to win that one as well, so I was down 2.

I rattled off pars on 14 and 15 which ended up winning both to square the match back up. 

Hole 16, par 3 - I missed the green left, had a decent chip to leave myself 4-5ft, but unfortunately missed it and he had an incredible lag for a tap in par to win the hole. Down 1, two to play.

Hole 17, short par 4 - Hit a solid drive and knew I would be relatively close to the green, but couldn't find my ball. Assume it rolled into the long grass, so I started heading back to the tee to re-hit. As I got to the tee box, the guys flagged me down and found my ball. It was buried in the rough about 20yds from the green. Super tough lie which I chopped out but ended up just over the green (pin was in the back). Had a great up and down to push, so I'm still alive.

Hole 18, par 4 - Hit a good drive just through the fairway in the rough, but had a good lie and a good angle in. Opponent was in the middle of the fairway, but he was out, so he hit first and put it on the green to inside 15ft. Pressure is on. I hit a decent approach, but hung it out a bit right and left myself with a putt just outside of 20ft. I felt confident standing over the ball and had the line, and miraculously sunk the putt for birdie to force him to make his putt which he missed! Off to extra holes!

Hole 19, par 4 (hole 1) - Riding a high, I hit a great drive in the middle of the fairway. He put his in the fairway, but was 25yds behind me so he shot first. He flew the green and was short-sided with the pin in the back and the green sloped back to front. I stuck my approach to 10ft below the hole. He flubbed his chip, then put his 4th shot 30ft+ from the hole and resigned.

I am now in the quarterfinals from a field of 64. Best I've ever done in match play to date. Hope I can keep it going!

Great story telling! Nothing like sinking a clutch putt on 18!

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

8 hours ago, thaar said:

Had my match play yesterday afternoon at South Suburban and it was the most exciting match I've played in. Fortunately we were evenly match where I only had to give up one stroke. My opponent drove the ball extremely well and his putter was on fire nearly all day.

I started off playing fairly well aside from a difficult 3-putt on 1 to push the hole. I was even par and up 2 after 6, but then the wheels started to fall off and had an awful 3-hole stretch, and ended up all square at the turn. 

Hole 10 - I stuck my approach to inside of 5ft, but he made a 6-footer to save par and I lipped out my putt for birdie. 11 was ugly for me so I went back down 1, then he made another great putt on 13 to win that one as well, so I was down 2.

I rattled off pars on 14 and 15 which ended up winning both to square the match back up. 

Hole 16, par 3 - I missed the green left, had a decent chip to leave myself 4-5ft, but unfortunately missed it and he had an incredible lag for a tap in par to win the hole. Down 1, two to play.

Hole 17, short par 4 - Hit a solid drive and knew I would be relatively close to the green, but couldn't find my ball. Assume it rolled into the long grass, so I started heading back to the tee to re-hit. As I got to the tee box, the guys flagged me down and found my ball. It was buried in the rough about 20yds from the green. Super tough lie which I chopped out but ended up just over the green (pin was in the back). Had a great up and down to push, so I'm still alive.

Hole 18, par 4 - Hit a good drive just through the fairway in the rough, but had a good lie and a good angle in. Opponent was in the middle of the fairway, but he was out, so he hit first and put it on the green to inside 15ft. Pressure is on. I hit a decent approach, but hung it out a bit right and left myself with a putt just outside of 20ft. I felt confident standing over the ball and had the line, and miraculously sunk the putt for birdie to force him to make his putt which he missed! Off to extra holes!

Hole 19, par 4 (hole 1) - Riding a high, I hit a great drive in the middle of the fairway. He put his in the fairway, but was 25yds behind me so he shot first. He flew the green and was short-sided with the pin in the back and the green sloped back to front. I stuck my approach to 10ft below the hole. He flubbed his chip, then put his 4th shot 30ft+ from the hole and resigned.

I am now in the quarterfinals from a field of 64. Best I've ever done in match play to date. Hope I can keep it going!

I know that course very well and was living those shots as you told us about your round.  Congratulations!!

-- P.J.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

On 7/11/2023 at 8:54 AM, Joelness said:

I'll take any of the years, lol.

Fellow member's 15 year old son just qualified for this year's US Amateur at Cherry Hills by winning his qualifier with a 73/65.

https://www.picuki.com/media/3144919771925442894

I was out at BN when he was 12 and shot 72 from the regular walk up tees and was barely 5 feet tall (may have even been shorter).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dancin said:

Fellow member's 15 year old son just qualified for this year's US Amateur at Cherry Hills by winning his qualifier with a 73/65.

https://www.picuki.com/media/3144919771925442894

I was out at BN when he was 12 and shot 72 from the regular walk up tees and was barely 5 feet tall (may have even been shorter).

Wow, that is awesome. Great story!

Edel E-1

Been grinding methodically on the swing to try to figure driver out. I think I've made some huge progress. At least on the range. Time to transfer to course. I actually went back to an old Nike Covert driver that I hit really well from probably 2012...? It spins a lot (3,000ish) and climbs, but I kind of like that ball flight. Seems much more controllable. I am probably giving up seriously like 30-40 yards on my longest drives vs. like say a low spin driver like Paradym Triple Diamond or Ping LST, but I don't care. I want to be in the fairway, especially because I have been loving playing at Collindale and City Park Nine. If I was playing the purples day in and day out at Rain Dance, the Nike probaly wouldn't work, but it's perfect for smaller, tighter, older, shorter courses, which I enjoy playing more. I haven't been going out to Rain Dance much (even though it's free). It's just so much easier and more pleasant to take a morning stroll around Collindale and CP9 while stopping to hit some shots. Really not into forced riding courses where you have to all out blast a 330 drive to play it and if you happen to spray it your ball is lost. 

Hope you all are having great golfing summers!

• Like 3

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Been grinding methodically on the swing to try to figure driver out. I think I've made some huge progress. At least on the range. Time to transfer to course. I actually went back to an old Nike Covert driver that I hit really well from probably 2012...? It spins a lot (3,000ish) and climbs, but I kind of like that ball flight. Seems much more controllable. I am probably giving up seriously like 30-40 yards on my longest drives vs. like say a low spin driver like Paradym Triple Diamond or Ping LST, but I don't care. I want to be in the fairway, especially because I have been loving playing at Collindale and City Park Nine. If I was playing the purples day in and day out at Rain Dance, the Nike probaly wouldn't work, but it's perfect for smaller, tighter, older, shorter courses, which I enjoy playing more. I haven't been going out to Rain Dance much (even though it's free). It's just so much easier and more pleasant to take a morning stroll around Collindale and CP9 while stopping to hit some shots. Really not into forced riding courses where you have to all out blast a 330 drive to play it and if you happen to spray it your ball is lost. 

Hope you all are having great golfing summers!

You're doing it right. If you have trouble hitting it straight, you want a little more backspin on your driver and 3k isn't crazy high unless you have 110+ mph swing speed. I had to play the right tees, but I was loving playing with my old cleveland that spins 4k+ when I was waiting for Callaway to send me a replacement for my broken driver. I could hit that anywhere on the face and still find the fairway (but at a loss of 30-50 yards).

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dancin said:

You're doing it right. If you have trouble hitting it straight, you want a little more backspin on your driver and 3k isn't crazy high unless you have 110+ mph swing speed. I had to play the right tees, but I was loving playing with my old cleveland that spins 4k+ when I was waiting for Callaway to send me a replacement for my broken driver. I could hit that anywhere on the face and still find the fairway (but at a loss of 30-50 yards).

Totally. Makes me think of when the TaylorMade SLDR driver came out. I think that thing had the COG way up by the face for the first time on a driver, and no one could hit it, and TaylorMade had those commercials about high launch, low spin to maximize distance, and thus the low spin driver was born (I could be wrong on this "history", it's kind of just a theory), and now if you have over 110mph clubspeed, then you need this low spin driver. I honestly don't think I have drove it straight since the SLDR came out in 2012(?), haha, and I've been trying all these low spin monsters (a.k.a. rotating stable of uncontrollable stallions). I have definitely hit some 335 laser bombs, but it has never felt controllable and I am way more often out of the fairway than in it.

I love watching the Nike Covert ball flight climb in that middle third, as it feels so much more controllable. I know I will probably hit between 275-300 now, instead of 300-330, but 275 is plenty for most courses I'll play, especially if I'm in the fairway. Plus, I like playing golf courses as intended, instead of bombing and gouging little flip wedges. It's fun to have a 4 iron into a par 4 every now and then, with the average club in being like a 6-8 iron, with a few wedges thrown in on shorter par 4s. I'd much rather have 210 in with a 4iron from the middle of the fairway, rather than desperately looking for my ball in the woods or sage brush and then, if you find it, punching out, and then wedging it on. That sucks. Those pro guys might be good enough to hit those low spin, unforgiving drivers 330 yards and straight, but not me, at least not enough consistently to play good golf and have fun doing it.

The funny thing was when I was hitting these various drivers on the TrackMan with the fitter, and I even told him I wanted higher spin numbers to increase accuracy and I wasn't worried about distance (I heard Jon Rahm was not spinning his Triple Diamond enough before the Masters to hit his reliable cut (ball wasn't cutting), so he increased the loft, I think, to increase the spin and he won the Masters because he hit every fairway), the fitter was still looking at spin trying to optimize for distance, like "your spin is too high" and I was like, no, 3,000 is perfect (I was swinging easy at 105, I have 115-120 in me if I try to kill it, but I don't want to do that anymore).

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Totally. Makes me think of when the TaylorMade SLDR driver came out. I think that thing had the COG way up by the face for the first time on a driver, and no one could hit it, and TaylorMade had those commercials about high launch, low spin to maximize distance, and thus the low spin driver was born (I could be wrong on this "history", it's kind of just a theory), and now if you have over 110mph clubspeed, then you need this low spin driver. I honestly don't think I have drove it straight since the SLDR came out in 2012(?), haha, and I've been trying all these low spin monsters (a.k.a. rotating stable of uncontrollable stallions). I have definitely hit some 335 laser bombs, but it has never felt controllable and I am way more often out of the fairway than in it.

I love watching the Nike Covert ball flight climb in that middle third, as it feels so much more controllable. I know I will probably hit between 275-300 now, instead of 300-330, but 275 is plenty for most courses I'll play, especially if I'm in the fairway. Plus, I like playing golf courses as intended, instead of bombing and gouging little flip wedges. It's fun to have a 4 iron into a par 4 every now and then, with the average club in being like a 6-8 iron, with a few wedges thrown in on shorter par 4s. I'd much rather have 210 in with a 4iron from the middle of the fairway, rather than desperately looking for my ball in the woods or sage brush and then, if you find it, punching out, and then wedging it on. That sucks. Those pro guys might be good enough to hit those low spin, unforgiving drivers 330 yards and straight, but not me, at least not enough consistently to play good golf and have fun doing it.

The funny thing was when I was hitting these various drivers on the TrackMan with the fitter, and I even told him I wanted higher spin numbers to increase accuracy and I wasn't worried about distance (I heard Jon Rahm was not spinning his Triple Diamond enough before the Masters to hit his reliable cut (ball wasn't cutting), so he increased the loft, I think, to increase the spin and he won the Masters because he hit every fairway), the fitter was still looking at spin trying to optimize for distance, like "your spin is too high" and I was like, no, 3,000 is perfect (I was swinging easy at 105, I have 115-120 in me if I try to kill it, but I don't want to do that anymore).

My current bag was gone for around 3 weeks. I ended up making a basement bag to play a couple rounds and I used an old SLDR. Hit it slightly (?) shorter but significantly straighter with a more consistent ball flight. It was really fun and definitely something to think about!

Also, I had to use an iron set with lower half blades. Can't believe I actually purchased those at one point in time in my life.

• Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Those SLDRs were horrible with the weight forward. Right idea in general but horrible execution. They've all learned that you need a balance of weight between front and rear as only a small percentage of the pros are accurate enough to make it work with all the weight forward.

The newer drivers (last 2 iterations) are dramatically more forgiving and the difference between the regular and low spin models have shrunk quite a bit to where the low spin model for most manufacturers is really just a minor tweak of a few hundred rpms vs the regular driver.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 9:52 AM, Dancin said:

Those SLDRs were horrible with the weight forward. Right idea in general but horrible execution. They've all learned that you need a balance of weight between front and rear as only a small percentage of the pros are accurate enough to make it work with all the weight forward.

The newer drivers (last 2 iterations) are dramatically more forgiving and the difference between the regular and low spin models have shrunk quite a bit to where the low spin model for most manufacturers is really just a minor tweak of a few hundred rpms vs the regular driver.

For the first time I've actually found drivers that don't spin enough. The 2022 Ping LST was averaging ~1,200 for me and it looked like it had top spin it was diving so hard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

For the first time I've actually found drivers that don't spin enough. The 2022 Ping LST was averaging ~1,200 for me and it looked like it had top spin it was diving so hard. 

Do you switch out balls to see how they perform with the driver, or is it one of the situations where you have the right ball for you with your wedges and irons that spin just the way you want? I know I have found some balls that spin way too much around the green, then others like the AVX, that don't spin enough. Finding the sweet spot has been tough for me, though I think I finally found that the left dash suits me best - I just don't necessarily love the feel of it, particularly chipping and putting. 

Edel E-1

1 hour ago, thaar said:

Do you switch out balls to see how they perform with the driver, or is it one of the situations where you have the right ball for you with your wedges and irons that spin just the way you want? I know I have found some balls that spin way too much around the green, then others like the AVX, that don't spin enough. Finding the sweet spot has been tough for me, though I think I finally found that the left dash suits me best - I just don't necessarily love the feel of it, particularly chipping and putting. 

Not in my case. I play ProV1's mostly for the short game spin. When it comes to firm, fast conditions I want as much spin as I can get around the greens. Most of the other premium balls are close IMO but the consistency and short game spin puts the ProV1 on top for me and it won't change for the full-swing. The full swing launch and spin moved me from the x to the plain one overall, but that's it. Tbh, I really don't notice much of a difference. I suppose I could compare on the GCQ, maybe that will be a good experiment.

It does usually mean spin management in soft conditions (like yesterday hitting a 130 club from 113 so I could "dead-hands it" and take a bunch of spin off.)

Either way, IMO picking the best ball starts on the green in priority and progresses to full swings being the least highest priority.

27 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Not in my case. I play ProV1's mostly for the short game spin. When it comes to firm, fast conditions I want as much spin as I can get around the greens. Most of the other premium balls are close IMO but the consistency and short game spin puts the ProV1 on top for me and it won't change for the full-swing. The full swing launch and spin moved me from the x to the plain one overall, but that's it. Tbh, I really don't notice much of a difference. I suppose I could compare on the GCQ, maybe that will be a good experiment.

It does usually mean spin management in soft conditions (like yesterday hitting a 130 club from 113 so I could "dead-hands it" and take a bunch of spin off.)

Either way, IMO picking the best ball starts on the green in priority and progresses to full swings being the least highest priority.

Alright you have me a bit confused as I always thoughts the Prov1x is supposed to have more spin around the greens than the Prov1. Interesting because now I am looking at the Titleist website and they are both described as having "maximum short game spin." Stupid golf marketing...

1 hour ago, Hardrain said:

Alright you have me a bit confused as I always thoughts the Prov1x is supposed to have more spin around the greens than the Prov1. Interesting because now I am looking at the Titleist website and they are both described as having "maximum short game spin." Stupid golf marketing...

Titleist notes with the current changes that both spin the same now and the difference is ball flight (height) and feel is all. (Ie:softer/firmer) 

I’ve gone back and forth between ProV1 and V1X. I notice I get a few yards extra hitting the X, I think due to the higher launch helping the ball stay in air a bit longer…. But I just love the feel of the regular V1. So I’m probably playing the “suboptimal” fit, but my brain likes it better. 

• Like 1

I finally got to experience the lightning fast greens at Hiwan that you must stay below the hole on (every previous time I played they were running about 9-10). Even though I love that course, I'm still glad I didn't join it. Middle of July and they still have some minor issues I assume from winter on a couple greens and the practice green had a lot of dead spots. Unless you have a house up there in Evergreen it's too much money for both a short season and only 2-3 months of good conditions. The freeze/thaw cycles at the end of every winter wreck havoc on them.