Using Ship Sticks First Time/pricing

FIrst time user looking into ship sticks. Going to be shipping from New Jersey to Hilton head for next week. Looking for advice on how to do. I watched the video their website and read some prior posts here, couple questions:

1. Looks like a box isnt required, just print 2 copies of the tracking form (one in bag, one on bag). I'm assuming thats correct?

2. Is it that much cheaper/safer to use ship sticks? Prices seem somewhat equal. Is the process of ship sticks easier, do they come pick it up at your house or do you need to drop it off?

Thanks in advance.   

17 minutes ago, Ironman_32 said:

FIrst time user looking into ship sticks. Going to be shipping from New Jersey to Hilton head for next week. Looking for advice on how to do. I watched the video their website and read some prior posts here, couple questions:

1. Looks like a box isnt required, just print 2 copies of the tracking form (one in bag, one on bag). I'm assuming thats correct?

2. Is it that much cheaper/safer to use ship sticks? Prices seem somewhat equal. Is the process of ship sticks easier, do they come pick it up at your house or do you need to drop it off?

Thanks in advance.   

It is definitely not cheaper than just flying with your clubs...even if you have to pay checked bag fees, Ship Sticks will end up costing more. 

• Like 1

Shipsticks just uses fedex or UPS to ship your clubs.  If you have a corporate or personal account just do it yourself.  It will be cheaper.  I did that for years when I had a corp fedex account and I could switch billing to my personal credit card.

I have a club glove and would put one label on the hard plastic bumper by the wheels and would laminate another label around the straps or handles. 

I have only used it twice.   Once when I was going to Erin Hills and was leaving a beach vacation early.  And once when I got hammered on transfusions at Oakmont and they put my clubs in the cart barn, but my flight out of Pittsburgh was at 7:00 AM.  Oakmont staff sent them back in a box.  I never wanted to see that credit card bill. 

Normally I just check my clubs on the plane.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ironman_32 said:

Thanks in advance.   

1:  Yes - put one in the bag; You can pick up a plastic holder from UPS or FedEx and the paperwork fits right in it and then use a ziptie on the bag so it can't be opened.

2:  As mentioned - they use the relevant service that you an I use; I imagine they get a volume discount.  But I have noticed it is more less around the same these days as doing it direct.  Plus, if you look around you can find a discount for SS.  You can arrange for it to be picked up or just drop it off at the store...I just usually take my clubs and do #1 at the store and get a receipt there.

For dropping off (shipping address), it is always best to call the course and see if they have a specific c/o or extra location to add to the address. i.e. "caddie shack"

As mentioned - for direct flights, SS becomes merely a convenience of not lugging in a few spots.  

Also on flights you can use the app/s to verify your clubs are on the plane and off the plane.  That provides that sense of relief we all require when making golf trips.

45 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Also on flights you can use the app/s to verify your clubs are on the plane and off the plane.  That provides that sense of relief we all require when making golf trips.

I stare at my phone and I usually try to get a window seat for shorter flights so i can lock eyes with the baggage handler.

Honestly I am usually more worried about dropping them off in the "we-need-extra-screening-room" at the Atlanta airport.  Who knows what those folks are going to do.

• Haha 2

Ship Sticks sounds attractive, but you pay more for their delivery model, and it's limited.  If I recall, you can't use your clubs up to the time of travel because they pick them up before you travel, and your clubs get home after you unless you ship them home early; least that's what they told me. 

I just got back from an extended golf trip, and paid $50 per bag, x two for each flight.  That wasn't nearly as costly as using Ship Sticks for two bag to multiple locations, and some locations they don't service.  We could play golf the day before or the day we were leaving for home.  Putting our clubs in nice ClubGlove bags and taking them with us, IS, IMO, more comforting.  I like seeing our bags being loaded on our plane.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

2 hours ago, DomJones said:

As people have said above it’s better to just have a good travel bag which you pack properly and put an AirTag inside. 

It's not better, it's not worse...it's an option.    I use them just about 50% of the time and am thoroughly satisfied and pleased with my choice.

• Like 1

When I was in college I worked at a regional distributor for ceramic tile products. We operated our own delivery truck but also sent heavy items by freight, UPS, USPS and other services. 

The one we used that few people ever consider was Greyhound. If we had a relatively small delivery that had to reach its destination quickly we'd ship it on a Greyhound bus and the customer would pick it up at the bus station. 

I'm not sure this is still offered...after all, this was all before 9/11. But I'd be curious to know whether Greyhound would carry a golf bag for a retail customer who was flying. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

32 minutes ago, me05501 said:

When I was in college I worked at a regional distributor for ceramic tile products. We operated our own delivery truck but also sent heavy items by freight, UPS, USPS and other services. 

The one we used that few people ever consider was Greyhound. If we had a relatively small delivery that had to reach its destination quickly we'd ship it on a Greyhound bus and the customer would pick it up at the bus station. 

I'm not sure this is still offered...after all, this was all before 9/11. But I'd be curious to know whether Greyhound would carry a golf bag for a retail customer who was flying. 

Greyhound closed "Package Express" last year. Ages ago, I remember going to the bus station with my grandma to pickup a package from some of her friends. Jeez, this brings me back. 

https://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Edited by TreeHugger73
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

It's not better, it's not worse...it's an option.    I use them just about 50% of the time and am thoroughly satisfied and pleased with my choice.

Better or worse all depends on your golf itinerary and who's paying the tab.  It's more costly with travel limits.  They don't service ALL airports, either.  And the people I know that used Ship sticks had their company's picking up the tab, and were not playing much golf.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

3 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Better or worse all depends on your golf itinerary and who's paying the tab.  It's more costly with travel limits.  They don't service ALL airports, either.  And the people I know that used Ship sticks had their company's picking up the tab, and were not playing much golf.

Not sure what you mean "service all airports"?   The clubs are shipped to your destination.  

I pay the tab all the time...and just like any other 'convenience' there is an associated cost.  

So better/worse is not dependent on who's paying the tab, nor the itinerary, imo.   

@DomJones

Curious, never used Air Tag.  Is it trustworthy?

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

20 hours ago, DomJones said:

I trust them. 

I was led to believe you have to be within a designated distance from the Air Tag, for it to connect with your phone app?

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

I was led to believe you have to be within a designated distance from the Air Tag, for it to connect with your phone app?

No. 

Your phone app can track the Air Tag anywhere in the world. The way Air Tags work is by sending a secure bluetooth signal that any apple device can detect. So if your bag is say, in the Heathrow Airport, as long as there is someone nearby that has an apple device, your tag will ping off of it and then the app can tell you where the device is located. 

When you personally get close enough to the airtag, the app can give you more precise information with an arrow pointing toward the location of the device and a proximity estimate (e.g. "five feet to your right")

• Thanks 1

Ship sticks is a convenience thing. I have yet to see where it’s the most cost efficient.

It’s great to not have to lug clubs through the airport. If you’re taking clubs on a family vacation it can be worth it’s weight in gold. It’s tough wrangling clubs, suitcases, car seat(s), strollers and kids lol. 

I was with a group during Covid and we all decided to use ship sticks because it allowed us to rent a full size car instead of needing to get a minivan or large SUV. So I guess my first post was wrong. It is possible that it’s cost affective. 

I've used LugLess to ship our clubs. It was very convenient and cost about the same as a checked bag on the airline. A couple of things from my experience:

1. We shipped our clubs because we were traveling with my elderly M-I-L and we had luggage, a wheelchair, and a walker. Lugging clubs just wasn't feasible.

2. First time, we shipped to a resort that confirmed ahead of time they could store the clubs for a few days. LugLess said would be delivered on a Friday (our check-in was Saturday) but the clubs got there on Wednesday. Second time, shipped to my brother's office and picked them up from him.

3. For shipping home, we prepared the clubs and shipped them after our last round of the trip. Clubs arrived 1 day after us but if they were delivered before us my neighbor would have put them in my garage.

4. My wife and I play with half sets when traveling so we only have 1 golf bag to deal with; no risk of 1 set not being delivered. 

On 1/8/2023 at 1:08 PM, StudentGolfer4 said:

It’s great to not have to lug clubs through the airport.

I second this. Now that we won't be traveling with my M-I-L, we'll probably take our clubs as checked luggage (might even take a full set each if my wife wants).

Edited by Espy42
Clarification

Shipsticks will almost never be cheaper but with their discounts you can usually get pretty good deals to be had. If you sign up for their email lists, they run sales it seems like every month or so. 

When I went out to Bandon I paid for them to be overnighted on the way out and ground on the way back - total cost was just under $200 from the East Coast with the discount. It saved me from dealing with them on two flights and a 3 hour car ride. Much better. 

Bandon even delivered them from their delivery location to the Inn so they met me there.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash