2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New Rapsodo Product/Launch?

darom86

10 hours ago, golfman009 said:

Question for those with simulator experience...

Looking for a sub $1000 monitor for use for a virtual range and golf simulator in my backyard. Very simple set up with a net and iPad. Don't mind paying the subscription... if this thing ends up working as they say with the special Callaway Balls...seems like a no brainer that this is the one to get? Nothing else in that price range is comparable at the moment it seems? 

How does putting work on these when playing a virtual course? 

Personally can't see much practical difference between this and the R10. The camera "might" be an amazingly brilliant extra, but the demo they had at the PGA show was just a slowmo of impact, no evidence of the machine vision capabilities re picking up special markings on the ball.

You'll have to wait for the reviews to come in, although unless the usual crew of reviewers break their normal pattern, you aren't going to get a meaningful statistical analysis that proves accuracy. Really needs someone more scientifically minded, like AMG, to step in and do some conclusive measurements on all LMs.

13 hours ago, golfman009 said:

Looking for a sub $1000 monitor for use for a virtual range and golf simulator in my backyard. Very simple set up with a net and iPad. Don't mind paying the subscription... if this thing ends up working as they say with the special Callaway Balls...seems like a no brainer that this is the one to get? Nothing else in that price range is comparable at the moment it seems? 

As you say it all depends once the real reviews come in. With the RCT ball R10 is MLM’s equal on spin indoors. If MLM’s spin axis claims are true then it would surpass even Mevo + for that metric indoors.  You would have to step up to BLP or GC3 to get that level of spin axis accuracy indoors. IF the marketing is true. The downside is you loose spin axis (and spin) entirely outside without the special Callaway balls. 

The sim courses also seem at least one maybe two steps up from home tee hero. 

5 hours ago, white_ball_hacker said:

I would guess it's the Mevo+/skytrak etc. If the spin numbers and spin axis are as accurate as claimed this is leagues above the R10 and probably more accurate than both the Skytrak & Mevo+.

I owned a Mevo+ for about the 1st year of it's life and it was incredibly disappointing. I appreciate they've since introduced fusion tracking which may help but some of the issues I reported to support and spent months waiting for a fix for still appear to be a problem. There are also certain problems that are just a limitation of a radar with limited ball flight that this seems to address with the marked balls.

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of it I can tolerate the $199 (£169?) subscription given the cost of range balls here in the UK. I would probably hit enough to cover the cost in the first month.

I've owned one since 2021 and it compares favourably against my GC2 indoors, except driver at 170mph. 

That said, it's extremely dependent on the environment and setup so the experience is going to vary wildly from user to user. I really only use the Mevo+ inside now for group play with lefties or when my 2yo and 3yo play with me.

7 hours ago, hammersia said:

Personally can't see much practical difference between this and the R10. The camera "might" be an amazingly brilliant extra, but the demo they had at the PGA show was just a slowmo of impact, no evidence of the machine vision capabilities re picking up special markings on the ball.

You'll have to wait for the reviews to come in, although unless the usual crew of reviewers break their normal pattern, you aren't going to get a meaningful statistical analysis that proves accuracy. Really needs someone more scientifically minded, like AMG, to step in and do some conclusive measurements on all LMs.

I would think M-G-S would do a pretty good test of it up aganst either Trackman or GCQuad.  Both indoors and outdoors. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

2 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I would think M-G-S would do a pretty good test of it up aganst either Trackman or GCQuad.  Both indoors and outdoors. 

Their LM reviews have been quite weak IMHO - they've had an obsession with Rapsodo and have only compared certain metrics for accuracy in years past - from the August 2022 review they only measured:

Ball and clubhead speed

Launch angle 

Backspin (which was out of date immediately as R10 was made compatible with RCT a month later)

Carry (which is extrapolated by their benchmark GCQuad anyway so a moot point)

i.e. not direction or shot shape

AND as of last August for indoor use they still recommend Skytrak......

Hopefully they can do better in future. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, golfman009 said:

I no am like you…. Looking for a back yard set up with fiber-built Matt and net and iPad. 

I need something to reliably test clubs…. Don’t care about the face to path stuff.. etc…. Want reliable distance and spin data..and a way to effectively practice. 

based on early testing…. This thing is on point with GC4… 

this thing also has the tools to measure spin on the range…. May be a software update coming. 

Edited by T_Golf_23
  • Like 1

I am puzzled there haven't been any extensive reviews of this product. Normally a manufacturer seeds some units to reviewers in order to create demand for the product. I'm not seeing that here. To me, that means the unit still needs work to produce acceptable specs. The only "review" I've seen thus far is the Golficity youtube vid. I saw enough discrepancies on that to make me wonder. Golficity said they would be releasing an in-depth review and I haven't seen that either. Weird.

• Like 1

This golf mag has a relatively high opinion of the MLM2.  

Some interesting nuggets in this article.  AGain, the Rapsodo folks make some bold claims when it comes to measuring spin "“Accurate spin axis readings are imperative for indoor measurements and we believe the accuracy provided by the MLM2PRO isn’t currently available on any other device in its price range,” Curtis said."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/Rapsodo-new-launch-monitor-golf-simulator-technology

On the Rapsodo twitter feed, they say they are sold out of pre orders of the MLM2.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, prusd said:

This golf mag has a relatively high opinion of the MLM2.  

Some interesting nuggets in this article.  AGain, the Rapsodo folks make some bold claims when it comes to measuring spin "“Accurate spin axis readings are imperative for indoor measurements and we believe the accuracy provided by the MLM2PRO isn’t currently available on any other device in its price range,” Curtis said."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/Rapsodo-new-launch-monitor-golf-simulator-technology

On the Rapsodo twitter feed, they say they are sold out of pre orders of the MLM2.

“We’re proud to be the Official Launch Monitor of the Hot List,” said Shawn Curtis, Director of Golf at Rapsodo.

I’m hopeful that technology has advanced to the point of high accuracy at affordable prices, but I often wonder if some of these “reviews” are just paid advertising. “Official Launch Monitor of the Hot List” sounds like something paid for, not something achieved. The “article” read like an ad. 

But I’m still hopeful!

Very interested in MLM 2 Pro, but locking spin behind a paywall is lame. Makes me think they don't have enough confidence in their simulation and other virtual product features. That people won't want to pay $199 for that. So they throw spin, which people absolutely want, behind the paywall.

FWIW, I did contact Rapsodo about what this actually means. Specifically wondering whether it's still reading spin, but just doesn't allow you to see the spin data. Since spin has such a big impact on all the other metrics (shot shape, distance, etc.). Whether or not it's reading it is a big deal. Fortunately they confirmed it is still reading spin and axis for those who don't have a subscription. So all the other data you'd see with any given shot will be identical whether you have the sub or not.

Still decided to hold off. Somewhat out of principle with them hiding spin for subs only. Also due to other intriguing options coming out, like the Swing Caddie SC4.

Not to mention SwingLogic is supposed to be dropping an upgraded nano sensor for their Hybrid X3 unit (which I currently own). It'll be plug and play for current owners. And if it resolves the issue with missed reads, it'll be an outstanding unit for the price. 

On 2/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, DLiver said:

I am puzzled there haven't been any extensive reviews of this product. Normally a manufacturer seeds some units to reviewers in order to create demand for the product. I'm not seeing that here. To me, that means the unit still needs work to produce acceptable specs. The only "review" I've seen thus far is the Golficity youtube vid. I saw enough discrepancies on that to make me wonder. Golficity said they would be releasing an in-depth review and I haven't seen that either. Weird.

Agreed. Been 3 weeks since Golficity did their initial "review". Very surprised it's been pretty much radio silence from all the popular SIM/LM channels on YT. 

I did see they sold out of the pre-order. But that frankly means nothing without knowing how many reservations were up for grabs. Part of me thinks it was a pretty low number so that they'd have no problem hitting it. And then using the whole "it sold out in a days" as a marketing tool for future sales. 

I originally planned on buying this and the R10 and putting them side by side (not litterally) but rying them both for a couple weeks then deciding which one to keep.  I've had the R10 for almost two weeks now and it has been flawless.   Due to weather have only had one outdoor session with it, but it seemed spot on on all accounts.

Using semin indoors, under a big hospitality tent style palce, with the Spronia Net and RCT balls it has been perfect.  Maybe one missed shot and the spin seems spot on for all speeds of players that have hit.   Same with the clubface and path numbers. 

So at this point I'm thinkng no need for the MLM, the built in camera is the one big advantage, asI"m currently using my Ipad for the display on a stand in front of me.  then sending to TV Montior for viewing.  HAving to set up my Iphone behind is just one extra step I haven't done yet. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I got selected to be a beta tester. Super excited to give it a thorough workout, especially the outdoor and android parts. Won't be able to post impressions and notes here as I test it but at least I can share how thrilled I am to get one in hand to test out!

• Like 3

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

9 hours ago, Auditor_Kevin said:

I got selected to be a beta tester. Super excited to give it a thorough workout, especially the outdoor and android parts. Won't be able to post impressions and notes here as I test it but at least I can share how thrilled I am to get one in hand to test out!

Can you please share when you get the unit in hand? That gives the rest of us massively impatient people and understanding of when we can expect to see more videos and info.

I'm very jealous BTW!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 7:27 PM, golfun said:

What is the real competitor this is going against? Apparently after a few years you’re going to be over $1000 with subscription so it can’t be R-10. 

Yeah. In 5 years it's the same price as the Mevo+ is going for currently. But at least with the mevo you can probably sell it for a grand at that point. MLM 2, you'll be lucky to get $500. 

8 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Yeah. In 5 years it's the same price as the Mevo+ is going for currently. But at least with the mevo you can probably sell it for a grand at that point. MLM 2, you'll be lucky to get $500. 

Home tee hero Sim is $99.99 a year for Garmin subscription. For $199,00  a year The MLM2 PRO looks to have a better looking sim at least what I have seen of it.

3 minutes ago, jola said:

Home tee hero Sim is $99.99 a year for Garmin subscription. For $199,00  a year The MLM2 PRO looks to have a better looking sim at least what I have seen of it.

R10 does include 5 free courses on E6 AFAIK. I suppose if you really are into sim golf, that may not be enough. But if you only want the thing to get reps in, work on your swing, and maybe play a round here and there. The R10 out of the box offering is more than enough.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ksher84 said:

preordered MLM2.  It's odd that there are not a lot of product videos for it with a release being at the end of this month.  The few videos I have seen are from creators I am not familiar with.

planning to set it up in my garage and hit into a net.

Yeah. With it supposedly hitting users in the coming weeks, you'd think there would be more out there. 

I did see a new unboxing the other day from a channel I never heard of. In the comments he said it's pretty good. But doesn't expect it'll compete with higher end LMs. Not that surprising. 

I didn't pre-order. Been the beta tester before. And the whole spin thing is a turn off. Frankly think the SC4 could be the sleeper this year that is the real bang for your buck. 

16 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Yeah. With it supposedly hitting users in the coming weeks, you'd think there would be more out there. 

I did see a new unboxing the other day from a channel I never heard of. In the comments he said it's pretty good. But doesn't expect it'll compete with higher end LMs. Not that surprising. 

I didn't pre-order. Been the beta tester before. And the whole spin thing is a turn off. Frankly think the SC4 could be the sleeper this year that is the real bang for your buck. 

I have been lucky enough to be selected to be a beta tester for the mlm2pro.  I have had it maybe 3 weeks so far and it's pretty awesome.  I live in upstate NY so we have been hit with snow and cold since receiving it so I have only been able to hit inside to a net or in a golf dome but I really enjoy it.  It is very accurate with my wedges and picks them all up, unlike the mlm1 and r10

• Like 1

Is it just me or does the black and white "Impact Vision" camera look useless? Watching: 

The video shows many times Impact Vision of the slow motion club impact.

*The problem is the video is from BEHIND the clubhead completely blocking impact. Top down slowmo cameras show impact and precisely what is going on(club face angle, impact). What would one even draw from this angle that is helpful? It's also not enough frames per second so it skips greatly even over the moment of impact kinda defeating the purpose?

Not saying it isn't cool but from what I can see it's not a "feature" worth buying over another device. Thoughts?

Edited by golfun

59 minutes ago, golfun said:

Is it just me or does the black and white "Impact Vision" camera look useless? Watching: 

The video shows many times Impact Vision of the slow motion club impact.

*The problem is the video is from BEHIND the clubhead completely blocking impact. Top down slowmo cameras show impact and precisely what is going on(club face angle, impact). What would one even draw from this angle that is helpful? It's also not enough frames per second so it skips greatly even over the moment of impact kinda defeating the purpose?

Not saying it isn't cool but from what I can see it's not a "feature" worth buying over another device. Thoughts?

I think the impact vision is not for everyone's viewing pleasure but is needed to accurately measure spin and spin-axis using the RPT balls.  I have found it helpful if I think I am hitting it more off the toe, then I watch impact vision to confirm it.

• Like 1