2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Macgregor May be Back

12 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

I think the correct term used on Facebook was “hollow bodied cheat sticks”.

Hollow bodies in the 3-5 irons would be nice with solid forgings 6-GW even nicer…and traditional-ish lofts please!!!

That is exactly what someone called them in Forged Club Appreciation. I was sitting here doing some Redneck Engineering musing. It will be interesting to see if they jack the lofts. The basic muscleback design is designed to get the ball in the air. That combined with hollow construction and hot faces hmmmm. Of course they are catering to the masses not us old traditional guys. 

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

26 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

I'm quite excited to see this retro iron design happening.  From a marketing standpoint I think it would be smart to add a bit of "tech" to the long irons at least.  There wouldn't be much point in making the exact same irons again and I think most would agree that modern designs help us all get the ball up better in the 5 through 2.  They'd better make a 1 and 2 iron too or I'll be very disappointed.  😁

Exactly what TM did in the late 80s with the TD blades. Hollow 1-4, blade 5-PW. They must have done something right since they're common enough that you can pick up a set of them on eBay any day of the week!

• Like 2

I'm fairly certain that Ian said they'd be available on the website by the end of this week. Not there yet though.

I have a set of the originals and would definite pick up a set of these. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I still play mostly the Pro-m, occasionally the Pro-c and my oldest set the MacTec 685. I'm too embarrassed to say how many backup sets I have 🙂

If these have a traditional MacGregor shape and sole, I'll have to buy a set asap.

• Like 3

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

The more I look at the pictures of these, the more I want them.

I was on the Macgregor website and looked at the specs for the full hybrid iron set.  For $399 you get a set of 7 clubs with Recoil 660 graphite shafts.  That’s less than $60 a club with a $30 shaft in them.   If they can put out a forged hollow wingback MT with the same shaft at a similar price I am in.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I was on the Macgregor website and looked at the specs for the full hybrid iron set.  For $399 you get a set of 7 clubs with Recoil 660 graphite shafts.  That’s less than $60 a club with a $30 shaft in them.   If they can put out a forged hollow wingback MT with the same shaft at a similar price I am in.

presumably  this is the hybrid irons set you mentioned? Great price. 

https://www.macgregorgolf.com/irons/macgregor-golf-wizard-full-hybrid-iron-set-mens-right-hand/

F40C6B84-15E9-4D50-8C43-25C656B7AB0A.jpeg

11 hours ago, deejaid said:

If I recall correctly, the last set MacGregor offered were the pro-m and pro-c in 2008 and those retailed for about $850.00 in stores.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

On 1/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, OsnolaKinnard said:

Think of it as a “restomod” classic car.  Looks the same,

sounds the same, but runs and drives alot easier!

I will probably buy a aet “just because” they are MacGregor.

Kinda like putting a LS 6 or LS 7 in a 57 Chevrolet---- To be honest I am mixed on that one--- I know I am old and stuck in my ways

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Kinda like putting a LS 6 or LS 7 in a 57 Chevrolet---- To be honest I am mixed on that one--- I know I am old and stuck in my ways

I’m of a mind that if the car is easily kept to stock, do that.  If it’s a rusted shell with major issues?  Make it handle and go fast with modern creature comforts!  I like both versions.

Just like my club purchases.  Modern is the go fast restomods.  Vintage is for fun and educational purposes.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Looks like the new blades are finally up on the website and available for preorder: https://www.macgregorgolf.com/macgregor-mt-86-irons-4-pw-/

At first glance they look good but seem to have a decent amount of offset (to my eye anyway).  Glad to see Mac back!

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Triple 🔹 9*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 15*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird

I think they look great.  I like the shape of the head a lot.  I’m fine with a bit of offset but what really looks good on these is the sole.   They look to have a bit of leading edge relief but otherwise not much bounce.   

A thousand bucks for them with with graphite is tough though when you can get a 4-PW set of PXG Gen 4 irons for only $45 more.   

• Like 2

I like em a lot also. Initially price seemed high but in reality we are talking competing against TM P790, PING 525 or Gen 5 311 PXG wouldn’t you think.?. If you’re talking current year model on any of those gotta be close to $1300 jump in point? I’ve wanted the P790 since it came out till I hit the 525 and oh my are they fantastic but aren’t they close to $1500 with steel shafts? Actually 1 year ago I bought PXG 0211 DC cuz they were $77 per club and I wanted something new. Couldn’t have bought a couple year old used set for what I paid for new. Not forged but hollow bodies, supposedly the thinnest face. Very hot and very forgiving. I did have the 9 bent 1 degree weak and PW and AW bent 2 degrees week to get to 44 and 50 degree’s. 140 yards is a comfortable PW and that’s with 83 mph club head speed. 

This is gonna sound like I’m selling these clubs and really I’m not. I say to anyone that will listen that the newest generation of “jacked up” irons are different in that they spin much better. I’m talking real life performance not simulator performance that everybody seems to base all their decisions on. I had replaced TM Speed Blades with my PXGs and those Speed Blades were long and flew high but they wouldn’t stop even with a performance ball. You had to club for front of greens or short even with those. I’m not saying I back the ball up with the PXG’s but they come down and stop very quickly if not immediately. 

Edited by ezgoer

1 hour ago, ezgoer said:

I like em a lot also. Initially price seemed high but in reality we are talking competing against TM P790, PING 525 or Gen 5 311 PXG wouldn’t you think.?. If you’re talking current year model on any of those gotta be close to $1300 jump in point? I’ve wanted the P790 since it came out till I hit the 525 and oh my are they fantastic but aren’t they close to $1500 with steel shafts? Actually 1 year ago I bought PXG 0211 DC cuz they were $77 per club and I wanted something new. Couldn’t have bought a couple year old used set for what I paid for new. Not forged but hollow bodies, supposedly the thinnest face. Very hot and very forgiving. I did have the 9 bent 1 degree weak and PW and AW bent 2 degrees week to get to 44 and 50 degree’s. 140 yards is a comfortable PW and that’s with 83 mph club head speed. 

This is gonna sound like I’m selling these clubs and really I’m not. I say to anyone that will listen that the newest generation of “jacked up” irons are different in that they spin much better. I’m talking real life performance not simulator performance that everybody seems to base all their decisions on. I had replaced TM Speed Blades with my PXGs and those Speed Blades were long and flew high but they wouldn’t stop even with a performance ball. You had to club for front of greens or short even with those. I’m not saying I back the ball up with the PXG’s but they come down and stop very quickly if not immediately. 

I’d say same construction but not really competing with those brands.   Ping, TaylorMade, Callaway, and PXG are all established club makers while Macgregor is pretty much a direct to consumer brand at this point. All of us here in the classic club section are excited to see a modern Macgregor forged iron but I don’t see the average golfer going for these instead of a discounted model from one of the big boys.  Not to mention, all the big brands can be hit and demo’d.  Unless Macgregor offers a demo 7-iron sent to perspective buyers it’s a leap of faith to spend $1000 without trying.

Back to the design though, don’t these hosels look really short?  Makes me think lie adjustment might be a bit difficult.

2670E117-DD78-49E7-AE26-035F24E34110.jpeg.e13469012d056b0d4f6de2db1c9f3fa1.jpeg

• Like 2

Guess I didn’t consider the direct to consumer part of the equation. Pretty major piece to the puzzle. Now that you mention it the hosel looks shorter. Could it possibly be the slightly oversized head giving it the appearance of being shorter??

Edited by ezgoer

22 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

I’m of a mind that if the car is easily kept to stock, do that.  If it’s a rusted shell with major issues?  Make it handle and go fast with modern creature comforts!  I like both versions.

Just like my club purchases.  Modern is the go fast restomods.  Vintage is for fun and educational purposes.

I am more of the rat rod type anyway but messing with engines and this is part of the fun with me. I would rather tinker with a good old school big block with a carburetor and a distributor. To be really clear as far as I am concerned I should have stated I would have a problem with a modern LS 6 or 7 on a restored 57 Chevy.

On the golf front on vintage I am of the thought of getting them where I can play them. But that is not to say I would take like a Pristine all original set of Hogan Precisions and change grips etc. Those I would more tan likely sell them to a collector to be properly displayed

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I am more of the rat rod type anyway but messing with engines and this is part of the fun with me. I would rather tinker with a good old school big block with a carburetor and a distributor. To be really clear as far as I am concerned I should have stated I would have a problem with a modern LS 6 or 7 on a restored 57 Chevy.

On the golf front on vintage I am of the thought of getting them where I can play them. But that is not to say I would take like a Pristine all original set of Hogan Precisions and change grips etc. Those I would more tan likely sell them to a collector to be properly displayed

Pristine clubs need to be played, not displayed in my book. I will not sell playable clubs to a collector. That is just my way.

• Like 2

Ouch!  I’m not getting a tingle of excitement from these. 

On the other hand thinking about all the sets of real winged back Macgregors that were made in America I could get for $999 does!  

Heck, I might have enough left for one of those fancy looking Colokroms with all the funds!  

• Like 4

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

21 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Looks extremely flat also in that picture or is the toe high?

Looked at the specs on the website and compared them to my G425’s and they have nearly identical lie angles, so not overly flat.  

Interesting the Macgregor website now also shows and OS set of the forged irons.  I’m assuming that means oversized.  Would be nice to see both set of MT-86 side by side to see the size difference.

The more I look at these, the more I like them.

On 1/21/2023 at 5:49 AM, BIG STU said:

Nah…things like modern suspension, disc brakes, much better tires, all the while maintaining the classic appeal of the car.  I don't mind modern engine swaps, but for goodness sake, dont put a chevy in a ford or a dodge or some mix match!! We are not savages!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, deejaid said:

Looked at the specs on the website and compared them to my G425’s and they have nearly identical lie angles, so not overly flat.  

Interesting the Macgregor website now also shows and OS set of the forged irons.  I’m assuming that means oversized.  Would be nice to see both set of MT-86 side by side to see the size difference.

The more I look at these, the more I like them.

It appears that the OS is slightly larger and with a tad bit more offset?

os.JPG

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

3 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

Nah…things like modern suspension, disc brakes, much better tires, all the while maintaining the classic appeal of the car.  I don't mind modern engine swaps, but for goodness sake, dont put a chevy in a ford or a dodge or some mix match!! We are not savages!!!

With you on the savagery, although an LS is the only motor to transplant into anything it feels wrong when you see it. 

5 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

Haha!  Savages...  I have to admit to being a bit of a savage in this regard.  Way back when I was a kid I got ahold of one of those old annual Peterson engine swap books and it had all kinds of savage action in it.  Right about 1970 I think.  It was a collection of old Hot Rod articles from the 60's relating to engine swaps.  Stuff like "Packard with Olds" and "Mustang with Rat".  I loved that old book and read the covers right off of it.  I still see oddball swaps in my dreams.  Lol 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

Haha!  Savages...  I have to admit to being a bit of a savage in this regard.  Way back when I was a kid I got ahold of one of those old annual Peterson engine swap books and it had all kinds of savage action in it.  Right about 1970 I think.  It was a collection of old Hot Rod articles from the 60's relating to engine swaps.  Stuff like "Packard with Olds" and "Mustang with Rat".  I loved that old book and read the covers right off of it.  I still see oddball swaps in my dreams.  Lol 

LOL I was always fond of saying "Ford Has a Better Idea--- Power by Chevy". Oh trust me I did some oddball swaps back in the day mostly BB Chevy into Pontiac and Buick

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

LOL I was always fond of saying "Ford Has a Better Idea--- Power by Chevy". Oh trust me I did some oddball swaps back in the day mostly BB Chevy into Pontiac and Buick

Ha!  It's hard to argue against dropping a BB Chev into most anything.  Kinda looking at a BB Mopar into a Ford Ranger right at the moment, mostly cuz I have access to the 440.  Pretty tight squeeze though...  😁

Edited by Swingingk
  • Like 2

$999 is more than I want to spend at this point with a house full of irons already. I'm just thankful that it's not a solid forged clubhead or I'd have some trouble passing on them. Looking forward to the reviews from those that do pick them up. They do look really nice.

• Like 3

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.