Max Homa swing

physasst

27 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Yeah, my bad carry-over from tennis is the Western forehand forearm and wrist rollover that causes low hooks. I often have to use the thought of hitting an inside-out forehand slice/drop shot.

Inside out forehand slice.....I'll have to try that. I used to love that shot, spin it sideways out of reach...

M

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

16 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

IMO, the best analogous movement for a tennis player is a left handed cross court backhand for a right handed golfer.

No arguments from me there.  The forehand slice idea was from when I had in-person lessons with DC.

He got my “macro” movements (for lack of a better term) where he wanted them but I was still shutting the face down…I guess a million forehands trying to spin the fuzz off the ball will ingrain that motion. He came up with “just give me a forehand sidespin-slice shot” which was a wrist movement pattern I could easily understand and straightened things out. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:36 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

If you’re a right handed golfer, try to hit a one handed left handed backhand with a passive left arm, just let the racket fall with gravity and have a body release.  You view of those ideas will change quickly.

DAMMIT, this helps......never thought about it that way. I was always thinking about it from a perspective of a right forehand, which may explain my shoulders opening. 

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

The definition of passive hands/arms is varies in golf.  In just about any athletic motion that involves throwing a ball, or swinging an implement, etc the kinematic sequence is exactly the same.

Weight Shift>Hips Open>Shoulders Rotate>Arms release/swing/throw.

I think any athlete with a background in throwing sports or swinging sports are going to release/swing/throw so naturally that they don't feel it.  So TO ME... that's passive arms.  

Now if you told a non-athlete to have passive arms in the golf swing, yes, they may take it as face value and not get the arms involved at all.  

Not trying to start another argument just trying to explain why there might be a disconnect and why passive arms is even a phrase in golf.  It all boils down to what someone needs to hear.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2023 at 5:43 PM, physasst said:

Was listening to some of the talking golf heads today and they were talking about Max owning his swing, and how he couldn’t swing the way his coaches wanted him to at first and had to change. I didn’t put this in Tour Talk, because it’s not really about his win, but rather I’m wondering from the golf swing experts here, what? If anything, can the average am player take away from Max’s swing?

M

Use the swing you brought to the party until such time as (in Max's case) you have a greater goal that demands change.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Not trying to start another argument just trying to explain why there might be a disconnect and why passive arms is even a phrase in golf.  It all boils down to what someone needs to hear.

Nobody needs to actually hear this. But it exists because there are those with poor preconceived notions of what constitutes a good golf swing and those who misunderstand how incorrect or late arm action comes about. The counter to incorrect is not passive and the counter to late is also not passive. 

In reality the arms play a huge role in the golf swing and how they work is for the most part non-intuitive. If it simply came down to athleticism to figure it out there would be far more better golfers than there are. In reality the golf swing requires both the arms and the body and downplaying the importance of the arms really helps nobody (likely including yourself)

There is a reason a lot former professional athletes who turn out to be great golfers tend to be from certain skill positions where their arms played a huge role in their success. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Nobody needs to actually hear this. But it exists because there are those with poor preconceived notions of what constitutes a good golf swing and those who misunderstand how incorrect or late arm action comes about. The counter to incorrect is not passive and the counter to late is also not passive. 

In reality the arms play a huge role in the golf swing and how they work is for the most part non-intuitive. If it simply came down to athleticism to figure it out there would be far more better golfers than there are. In reality the golf swing requires both the arms and the body and downplaying the importance of the arms really helps nobody (likely including yourself)

There is a reason a lot former professional athletes who turn out to be great golfers tend to be from certain skill positions where their arms played a huge role in their success. 

Yes the arms/hands of course play a huge role. Many roles… especially in setup, backswing, etc. But you will never convince me that when it comes to the downswing of a golf swing that the arms work outside of the kinematic sequence of all throwing/swinging sports. I never said they should be downplayed I just said it depends on the golfer. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Yes the arms of course play a huge role. Many roles. But you will never convince me that the golf swing works outside of the kinematic sequence of all throwing/swinging sports. I never said they should be downplayed I just said it depends on the golfer. 

A huge role indeed but beyond that Moe Norman said, and with good reason,  we hit with our knees, not our hands.   

• Like 1

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

13 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Yes the arms of course play a huge role. Many roles. But you will never convince me that the golf swing works outside of the kinematic sequence of all throwing/swinging sports. I never said they should be downplayed I just said it depends on the golfer. 

And not a single thing I said was counter to that. Just because the lower body initiates the downswing, doesnt mean the arms will sort themselves out or that a lot of golfers wouldn't get better by moving their arms better

5 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

A huge role indeed but beyond that Moe Norman said, and with good reason,  we hit with our knees, not our hands.   

Tiger Woods, arguably a much more successful golfer, says it's all in his hands. Now today, at age 46, with 5 back surgeries, a fused back, a highly compromised right leg, can still pump out 180mph ball speeds. Or is that just because of the modern ball and drivers? 

Adaptive golfers can put up some decent scores with 1 or 2 prosthetic legs, you literally can't play this game without your arms and hands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

And not a single thing I said was counter to that. Just because the lower body initiates the downswing, doesnt mean the arms will sort themselves out or that a lot of golfers wouldn't get better by moving their arms better

Tiger Woods, arguably a much more successful golfer, says it's all in his hands. Now today, at age 46, with 5 back surgeries, a fused back, a highly compromised right leg, can still pump out 180mph ball speeds. Or is that just because of the modern ball and drivers? 

Adaptive golfers can put up some decent scores with 1 or 2 prosthetic legs, you literally can't play this game without your arms and hands. 

Seriously.  There are very good golfer with no arms.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

5 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Golfer. One of them? 

Ok golfers    Geesh.

just one of them

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-223cUDXqj/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/shortarmgolfer/?hl=en

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified