2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

1 hour ago, Petethreeput said:

No

... It was worth a shot!

(DMM is in 1st place and as a director he is open to suggestions. Probably over played my hand with Johnson/Michelson and shoulda gone with Smith/Niemann). 

• Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Keep us posted. We're invested now. 

Yes , good call DMM. Mr Green's son's golf progress is of interest now in the Lounge.

This group is cool.

Golf experiences from all ages and abilities are shared and enjoyed. 🏌️

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

13 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Round 1 goes to the good guys!

image.png.42ced0c87d71178c3704fbd17b894aa4.png

Nail biter of a series. Every game was a 1 goal game, not including the empty letters. Whew!

On to the Avs!

Congrats. You guys had to work for that one! Climbing out of a 0-2 hole.

• Thanks 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

1 hour ago, NCLancer said:

It must be a countless number of times he's hit himself in the head...

I bet when a groupie would slip the band some free geek out white powder he did bonk his noggin' more than once while playing on stage. 😄

36 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Nail biter of a series. Every game was a 1 goal game, not including the empty letters. Whew!

On to the Avs!

I was hoping for a VGK win so my Avs got home ice, but this should be a good series, I will still take Avalanche in 6!  

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

3 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

On to the Avs!

Sigh. Got a text from my pal in Dallas (who was at Weenie Roast last week and flies out for most of them) about this nonsense. I told him he's banned 😂

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 4-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

10 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I will still take Avalanche in 6!

Hard to argue with that logic given the evidence. Avs went 3-1 against the Stars during the regular season and just scored more than 5 goals per game against a good defensive team and great goalie. And they’re well-rested. Dallas gets 1 day off after a very physical series with Vegas.

Avs and Stars have a fun Stanley Cup history, having faced each other 5 times. Stars are 3-2 in those series, going all the way to the Finals each time. Stars have never gone to the Finals without having to go through the Avs. Avs have never won a Game 7 against the Stars. Dallas’ latest Game 7 hero against the Avs (Kiviranta) now plays for the bad guys. 

Playoff hockey - best thing going in professional sports!

• Like 2

I call it handicap equilibrium.  Some call it getting out your own way.  Some just call it golf.

Yesterday was maybe the best day I have had in a long time.  I had 8 pars and a birdie to start, and the birdie was a chip in, and there were a few very near misses on legitimate birdie looks.  I have been pretty transparent about my desire to pick up some length because in my short knocking world there really is no substiture for being closer to the hole.  I gave the recap of the holes, and the short par 5 at 485 with the water right in front of the green, for the first time in a year or so I cleared the water... get this, with a 6H.  I only had 186 to the pin, needed to fly it 178.  two putt and now I am 2 under.

Next hole has OB down the left, and the right side is protected by trees.  There are a number of trees protecting the OB, but they also consume all the water so the ground is rock hard and if you hit it over there and don't hit a tree, its gone.  Well, I tend to draw the ball and if I didn't hit a high draw that landed on the left side of the fairway and roll OB, I dont know whe did.  Back to even.  Then I get back to -1 a few holes later.

Now back to the first sentence.  I, for the life of me, am completely incapable of removing the total score from the shot at hand.  I know I am absolutely creaming the ball, it just feels so easy, and then on the last 4 holes I go 3 over with 2 three putt bogeys.  First off, I rarely three putt, but instead of hitting the ball I was trying to feather it in there.  That's just stupid.  No, my mental game is stupid.

I am anxious to hear about the tourney in Indy, and I am hoping for the same type of day I just had, without the braincramps.

• Like 4

A very pretty day here in the Ozarks with a high of 78 degrees.  

IMG_0203.jpeg

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

Golfers Break Out Historical Clubs To Celebrate 100-year, 42% OFF

image.png.57cd775d4f5eecf33648ba8ebabafe07.png

I would say I am a little different from you P3P. I have no mental game issues because I don't take it that seriously when I am playing. Yes I give it my best effort each round that I play but I don't get tangled up too much in the details while on the course. I am pretty loose and calm, I just set up and rip it and go on to the next shot. 

Last week I played with golf buddy Steve for the first time in over a year. Today my other golf friend Bill is in the group and I have not played with Bill in over 16 months. Bill is a Floridian who has a summer home here in the AVL. He is now town for the summer and wants to play in my weekly golf group as often as possible. So this afternoon it is going to be Steve, Bill, and Peter with me at Broadmoor at 2 PM. Just 4 jolly old golfers having some fun for a few hours smacking a little white ball around. Now once again the forecast is calling for a decent chance of thunderstorms in the late afternoon. I sure hope I don't end up playing a partially wet round for a second time. It will be fun to have Bill back in the foursome as he is a blast to play with. 

• Like 3

I don't know if it is "serious" but the removal of expectation is what I was referring to.  I don't think I have broken par since 2022.  So that was what I was thinking about.  Thinking about the overall score rather than thinking about scoring the ball on the immediate shot.  I suspect it is pretty common when a person is playing really well for them.  We all have that expectation, and then when you are easily exceeding the expectation the smart guy stops thinking.  P3P thinks about "if I par out I will score X" or whatever it is and then rolls in with bogeys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Petethreeput said:

I don't know if it is "serious" but the removal of expectation is what I was referring to.  I don't think I have broken par since 2022.  So that was what I was thinking about.  Thinking about the overall score rather than thinking about scoring the ball on the immediate shot.  I suspect it is pretty common when a person is playing really well for them.  We all have that expectation, and then when you are easily exceeding the expectation the smart guy stops thinking.  P3P thinks about "if I par out I will score X" or whatever it is and then rolls in with bogeys.

... Here's the thing about all sports but especially golf. Every shot you play is dependent on the previous shot. I kinda look at it like 72 individual shots. Total score is irrelevant or more accurately it takes care of itself when you play one shot at a time. For many, this is a learned process and it boggles my mind to hear anyone say things like "If I just bogie/par the last 3 holes I can shoot below my index". Or even worse "If I birdie one of the last 3 holes and par the other 2, I will shoot my lowest score ever!" 

... Cliche's are cliche's because they are true. Every shot dictates the proper play or a risk/reward scenario. If I am on 18 which is a demanding driving hole at my home course, my thoughts better be simply "make a good swing and put the ball in the fairway". If I accomplish that my next thought is how to play my approach, which may call for a shot short of the green and/or favoring the right side away from the bunker and water on the left. Going after a left pin from 175 because I need a birdie/par is just mentally weak because the proper shot is right side or if swinging well, middle of the green. But if I hit a poor drive on 18 I am most likely going to put the bal in play for a pitch from short of the green. That shot demands my full attention, not just smack something down there. Play an exact distance to an exact spot. I can always chip in for a birdie or get close and save par, whatever thee pitch dictates as the proper play given the pin location. 

... If you approach every single shot as its own singular endeavor, score doesn't enter into your approach. Just playing the right shot. And piling up "the right shots" will produce your best score on your good days and help you grind out a decent score on your bad days. I compare to to playing QB and needing a score on the last drive. You take what the defense gives you and take it one throw at a time. If I read the defense correctly in my pre snap read and it doesn't change, I go through my progressions. If my primary WR is open I throw to him. If not, I go to met 2nd WR and usually not time for a 3rd and the check down should be open. But if the checkdown is covered or a DB/LB is close, better to throw the ball away. Taking it one play at a time and choosing the best option given the circumstance gives us the best chance of scoring and winning the game. Thinking about the need to score or trying to force a throw into a very tight window because we need a score and getting picked off is the same as forcing a shot coming down the stretch that you know is risky instead of playing the correct shot. You can chip in if you miss the green in the right spot, but you can't save par from the water. 

... Probably something you and the Links players already know but forgetting your score and playing one shot at a time is a learned behavior. Just like learning to give your full concentration to the shot at hand. But I get it, and as one of my favorite Sheryl Crow songs laments "No one said it would be easy. But no one said it'd be this hard" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mshills said:

t's been a long time since I played any tournament golf.  Quite a long time actually, more than 10 years, and we all know tournament golf is about as similar to recreational golf as football.  I am excited, but trying not to put any additional pressure on myself.  No need for that.  I have a whole new appreciation for being grateful for the opportunity to still do this.  My cup runneth over.

... Amen brother! Give em' hell! 👍  I love what Tiger said: when he isn't nervous on the first tee he will quit the game because it means he no longer cares. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DLeightonReid said:

A very pretty day here in the Ozarks with a high of 78 degrees.  

Ya ever seen Five Turn Knot out there? 

That's my very beloved pal that runs that gig. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

one of my favorite Sheryl Crow songs laments "No one said it would be easy. But no one said it'd be this hard" 

Funny enough ... it was this tune that made me leave and want nothing more than to come back ...

... a long time ago playing drums  in the same corner I'm still sitting in ... 

image.jpeg.4fb3a3e9e6ac4345c3f0bf2709904ae4.jpeg

Crazy how a crappy little bar in a crappy part of town has been so important. Hell, me and the former Mrs. ae - our "wedding reception" was there. 

Even through the LA years ... still came back ... 

image.jpeg.f20a56965f164c2f29f7f8c283e00338.jpeg

TCK at the DD? Yes! 

When I joined F&D, my pal Ian that does booking at the DD was like ... "Trent from The Cheatin Kind?" I was like "More like Trent from The Luv Taps. I pre-date you dawg!" 😂 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

P3P thinks about "if I par out I will score X" or whatever it is and then rolls in with bogeys.

I have a golf buddy who had never broken 80.  So on #18 tee I mentioned he might be breaking 80 for the first time... just from a sense of how he was playing... I don't keep anyone's score in my head.  Neither does he.  He writes it down on his card, and adds it up after his round.  But he was ticked I even brought it up.  Kinda like not mentioning a guy is pitching a no-hitter.  He promptly took a double bogey and shot 80.

The next week I kept my mouth shut and I was there when he blasted past 80.  Shot a 76.  And the next week he did it again on another course.  Another 76.  Then he went a year without scoring in the 70's again.

• Like 2

When I’m playing, I keep my score, Fairways, Putts, Putts for Par, GIR and Penalties.  During a round I couldn’t tell you anything on that card, I wait until I get home to add everything up.  I try not to focus on score, I’m focused more on putting multiple good shots together.

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a golf buddy who had never broken 80.  So on #18 tee I mentioned he might be breaking 80 for the first time... just from a sense of how he was playing... I don't keep anyone's score in my head.  Neither does he.  He writes it down on his card, and adds it up after his round.  But he was ticked I even brought it up.  Kinda like not mentioning a guy is pitching a no-hitter.  He promptly took a double bogey and shot 80.

The next week I kept my mouth shut and I was there when he blasted past 80.  Shot a 76.  And the next week he did it again on another course.  Another 76.  Then he went a year without scoring in the 70's again.

Your buddy’s game sounds similar to mine, with the exception of breaking 80 in consecutive weeks. Last fall, when I shot my personal best of 73, I thought, ok, I finally have this figured out, at least enough to consistently shoot in the 70s. I haven’t broken 80 since. But I know I have it in me! Part of my issue is imbibing, especially as the alcohol kicks in on the back. Like today. Had a respectable 41 on the front of tough course, and that included a triple after topping a tee shot on a long par 5. Shot a 51 on the back, which is easier than the front, making stupid decisions like trying to carry a creek 200 yards when a layup puts me in position to reach in regulation. Can I hit that shot? Sure, but like 3 out of 10 times. Effing vodka.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I’m focused more on putting multiple good shots together.

That's a good place to put your focus, instead of on score.  I keep track of only 2 things:  Greens in regulation and something most people don't do.  I keep track of the club I hit into greens and get an average.  Pretty much a good way to determine if you're having a good driving day.

Our course plays fairly long, with lots of trees.  So if I average an 8 iron into the greens it's usually a good day.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Part of my issue is imbibing, especially as the alcohol kicks in on the back.

Well sheesh TL, you can't stop doing that.  As legend has it I carry a cannister of Italian Sports Drink.  Pinot grigio to clarify.  I get a sip after every par, 2 sips after every birdie, and I get to chug the cannister if I make eagle.  So I have to keep the good playing to a minimum on the front 9 or I'll suffer the same fate as you.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

When I’m playing, I keep my score, Fairways, Putts, Putts for Par, GIR and Penalties.  During a round I couldn’t tell you anything on that card, I wait until I get home to add everything up.  I try not to focus on score, I’m focused more on putting multiple good shots together.

I want to do this.  And if I am around my cap I can.  It’s just when I start playing much better than my usual.  That’s when I get stupid in the head about it.

Even when I was telling myself not to, I must have been.

• Like 1

I got into a bad habit many years ago.  I don't use a scorecard, especially on my home course.  I just keep track in my head how many over par (or on rare occasion how many under) I am.

Not using a scorecard saves trees.  So they can plant new ones on our already over-treed course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are all different. Alcohol ruins my game so I don't touch the stuff on the course. I want to be in control physically for all 18 holes. If I were to take multiple drinks during a round I bet I'd shoot in the middle to upper 80's every time and that would be no fun for me. My goal is to break 80 every round and if I did get somewhat drunk I know I would have no chance of shooting below 80. I take 2 hits of mild weed once on the front 9 and again on the back 9 because getting a little high enhances my game, provides me with a better sense of calmness, and I remain in control. This has been my approach for decades when playing and it works for me. 

I save the consumption of alcohol for after golf. 😁

• Like 2

When I play Broadmoor there is a good chance that I will see at least two critters while playing. There is a log that protrudes out of a pond by the 15th tee box and on sunny afternoons I often find a turtle or two sunning themselves on the log. Theodore the turtle did not disappoint me today. On the pond next to the 18th green there is often a grey Heron fishing the banks. Hank the Heron was there today as well. 🙂

turtle at Broadmoor.jpg

egrett at Broadmoor.jpg

• Like 1