2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Carolinas Destinations - Pinehurst or Myrtle Beach?

jafino

My family and I (wife and two high school-aged boys) are considering a July road trip to Charleston, SC to visit from friends.  Along the way, we plan to stop somewhere for a few days for a family golf trip.  We've narrowed our options to Myrtle Beach, Kiawah and Pinehurst (resort and/or surrounding area), but I'm a bit stumped as to what would best fit our needs and I'm hoping to crowdsource some advice.  We would all play.  I'm average mid-handicap, my older son plays to around a 5, my younger son is learning but can get around the course and won't hold anyone up and my wife doesn't mind picking up her ball from time to time.

All of these locations offer great courses, but I can't quite figure out how to weigh the intangibles that would make for the best overall experience.  Ultimately, we're looking to stay 2-3 nights and we'll probably play no more than two rounds. My goal is that the courses we pick create fun and distinct golf experience for the kids, but I'm also hopeful that the setting, accommodations and amenities also are memorable. 

I've always wanted to see Pinehurst, and we could stay at the resort but I think #2 is off the table in light of a considerable upcharge for a family of four (I think there may be a charge for #4 as well).  Based only on pictures, I think we would all enjoy the ambience and amenities of the Pinehurst resort, but I have seen mixed reviews of the food - and that's important too.

I'm also considering some combination of Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Southern Pines, but while the courses look amazing, they might lack the resort appeal of Pinehurst.  As for Myrtle Beach, I've played some of the Pawley's Island courses before, and could easily go back there to do a Caledonia/True Blue type package and have a great time.  Between Myrtle Beach and this the other Pinehurst courses, I might opt for MB given the lack of a primary resort at either location and MB's proximity to Charleston (our ultimate destination).  

I've briefly looked at Kiawah but I can't figure out how they price the golf packages.

Any and all opinions welcome! 

Just in general of rankings things for me for a family.

Kiawah

Myrtle Beach

Pinehurst

My wife and I love Kiawah the resort is super nice (very family friendly) and the courses are fun.  It probably on par with Pinehurst as far as price but July in Pinehurst can be kind of miserable with the heat and I'd rather have a beach to hang out on after the round.  

#2 and #4 have upcharges for kids even in package prices.  If you aren't playing 2,4, or 8 I would look elsewhere in Pinehurst. Mid pine, Pine Needles, Southern Pines, and Tobacco road are the best non resort courses.  Not sure I'd recommend tobacco road though for your group.  It's fun but very challenging the first time you play it due to blind shots and just the stranz style golf.

Myrtle is the cheapest option but also not nearly as nice as the other 2. You can find better deals though because there's so many courses down there.  It all just depends on where you stay.

• Like 2

From purely a "family destination" Myrtle Beach makes the most sense to me. No shortage of course options that can fit into any budget you choose. Plus, there is a lot more to do when it comes to non-golf activities. I'd put Kiawah and Pinehurst in a tie for second/last.

Kiawah is relatively close to Charleston so more non-golf options, but I'm not sure your wife and son would enjoy The Ocean Course given your description of their ability, and I doubt you'd want to pay $1,000+ for them to pick up on half the holes or more. 

Pinehurst is great, but I'd never choose it for a family vacation unless everyone in the family was a serious golfer. If you go, you'd have to eliminate a lot of the courses people go there to play (#2 - too expensive and difficult, #4 - too expensive, TR - too difficult). Still plenty of good options without those, but similar to Kiawah what's the point of going if you aren't going to play the main attractions?

FYI - May/June is a popular aerification time for a lot of courses in the southeast so you may want to factor that into your plans.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Pinehurst is great, but I'd never choose it for a family vacation unless everyone in the family was a serious golfer. If you go, you'd have to eliminate a lot of the courses people go there to play (#2 - too expensive and difficult, #4 - too expensive, TR - too difficult). Still plenty of good options without those, but similar to Kiawah what's the point of going if you aren't going to play the main attractions?

This kinda hit the nail on the head for me.  Nos. 2 and 4 are off the table at PH, as is the Ocean Course (likely) at Kiawah.  That said, we all favor the big resort amenities, so I'm torn....  

40 minutes ago, jafino said:

This kinda hit the nail on the head for me.  Nos. 2 and 4 are off the table at PH, as is the Ocean Course (likely) at Kiawah.  That said, we all favor the big resort amenities, so I'm torn....  

If amenities are what you're looking for its tough to beat kiawah.  Multiple pools, good food, and courses that are accessible.  Myrtle also has a lot of activities but we just don't go very much anymore because we prefer actual resorts.  Also Myrtle in July can be super busy. I'd rather pay more for a bit of a quieter vibe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jafino said:

Good on-site restaurants/bar, nice pool, casual hang-out spots, things to do on property.  Something more than a standard hotel.

Gotcha.

Not sure how much you've really looked into it, but Kiawah has 4 different housing/accommodation options and Pinehurst has 6. Yes, both have stuff "on property" like a gym, spa, pool, bars, restaurants, and etc., but depending on your accommodations some or all of those things could require you to walk or even drive to get to them.

For example, the Pinehurst Condos (part of the resort) are ≈ 2 miles from the main hotel/resort that has the pool/spa and etc. And in Kiawah, some of the resort villas are ≈ 2-3 miles from the Sanctuary (main resort HQ) and even further from The Ocean Course

Just wanted to make sure you weren't looking for some type of Caribbean style all inclusive resort vibe. I think sometimes having the word "resort" included in these golf destinations can come across wrong. They are more like resorts for golfers and not necessarily resorts with golf if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jafino said:

All of these locations offer great courses

I would contend Kiawah offers one great course and the rest are very expensive, well maintained completely forgettable courses. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

3 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Just wanted to make sure you weren't looking for some type of Caribbean style all inclusive resort vibe. I think sometimes having the word "resort" included in these golf destinations can come across wrong. They are more like resorts for golfers and not necessarily resorts with golf if that makes any sense.

Yes, that makes sense.  I can't really get a sense Kiawah's scale, but it does look huge on the online map.  I think we'd be staying in the Sanctuary there or the main Carolina Hotel at Pinehurst.

3 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I would contend Kiawah offers one great course and the rest are very expensive, well maintained completely forgettable courses. 

I have heard that.  I wonder if the prevailing view of Pinehurst is similar (other than 2 and 4...).  I get that I'll miss out on the world class courses at either place, so without playing those courses I wonder if they are otherwise "worth it" (which I realize is entirely subjective).

If not, my impression is that Pine Needles/Mid Pines are on par with or better than the other courses at either resort, but may not offer much other than golf.  

1 minute ago, jafino said:

If not, my impression is that Pine Needles/Mid Pines are on par with or better than the other courses at either resort, but may not offer much other than golf. 

I have only played #4, #5, #8 and #9 but I would say Pine Needles/Mid Pines were better than 5, 8 and 9 (I know getting on #4 has changed so I will leave it out). Also, I loved Tobacco Road and would play that anytime I was in the area.

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

What I'm getting at (and I think what we're all saying?) is that neither Pinehurst nor Kiawah sound like the best option if golf isn't the main focus of the trip. For the most part, those are both golf resorts (golf being the key word) that offer other ancillary services/amenities. That doesn't mean you have to play 36 a day to enjoy it, but the main reason people travel to those places is for the golf. Also, FWIW if you aren't playing TOC then Kiawah just becomes a very expensive beach vacation...

Personally, I'm not planning a family trip to a golf resort (Bandon, Streamsong, Kiawah, Pinehurst, Sand Valley, or any others) if the main purpose of the trip isn't golf. 

All that being said you know your family better than we do so just pick where you think they'll be the happiest and go there.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Personally, I'm not planning a family trip to a golf resort (Bandon, Streamsong, Kiawah, Pinehurst, Sand Valley, or any others) if the main purpose of the trip isn't golf. 

This is a very rational and reasonable view, and I agree.  I wouldn't make a standalone trip to either Pinehurst or Kiawah as a family vacation, but both are reasonably on the way to Charleston, where we'll spend the rest of our time.  Looking for a memorable golf experience along the way.  My impression, and I could be way off-base here, is that a trip to Pine Needles, Mid Pines etc. would necessarily be just about the golf whereas Pinehurst offers other things -- seems like more of an experience than a standard hotel even if the non-resort courses would be better than the ones we'd play at Pinehurst. 

Nothing against the basic hotel experience - have done it many times and always will.

I've looked into Myrtle Beach (which would be more bang for the buck) but I may not be able to find a place for less than a week-long stay, which is our goal.  Looks like we'll be there the first week of July.  I'll keep poking around though.

Edited by jafino
clarity

12 minutes ago, jafino said:

This is a very rational and reasonable view, and I agree.  I wouldn't make a standalone trip to either Pinehurst or Kiawah as a family vacation, but both are reasonably on the way to Charleston, where we'll spend the rest of our time.  Looking for a memorable golf experience along the way.  My impression, and I could be way off-base here, is that a trip to Pine Needles, Mid Pines etc. would necessarily be just about the golf whereas Pinehurst offers other things -- seems like more of an experience than a standard hotel even if the non-resort courses would be better than the ones we'd play at Pinehurst. 

Nothing against the basic hotel experience - have done it many times and always will.

I've looked into Myrtle Beach (which would be more bang for the buck) but I may not be able to find a place for less than a week-long stay, which is our goal.  Looks like we'll be there the first week of July.  I'll keep poking around though.

That's the exact problem with Myrtle in July. Most vrbo or airbnb's want a weeks commitment because its more of a vacation destination. I would avoid any hotels on the main strand. Stay in North Myrtle or head down to Pawleys island.  I personally would stay in pawleys and just drive into myrtle for whatever you want to do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abh159 said:

What I'm getting at (and I think what we're all saying?) is that neither Pinehurst nor Kiawah sound like the best option if golf isn't the main focus of the trip. For the most part, those are both golf resorts (golf being the key word) that offer other ancillary services/amenities. That doesn't mean you have to play 36 a day to enjoy it, but the main reason people travel to those places is for the golf. Also, FWIW if you aren't playing TOC then Kiawah just becomes a very expensive beach vacation...

All that being said you know your family better than we do so just pick where you think they'll be the happiest and go there.

I disagree somewhat on Kiawah. The Sanctuary is a beach hotel with all the amenities you’d expect from such. It is quite lovely, nice pool (and a separate smaller adult only pool) with an expansive beachfront. Lots of activities particularly in summer. 

It is not purely a “golf resort” it is a beach resort with golf. Much like Sea Island.

tons of people vacation to Kiawah and never set foot on a golf course. 

The main downside of the Sanctuary is it is $$$$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

I disagree somewhat on Kiawah. The Sanctuary is a beach hotel with all the amenities you’d expect from such. It is quite lovely, nice pool (and a separate smaller adult only pool) with an expansive beachfront. Lots of activities particularly in summer. 

It is not purely a “golf resort” it is a beach resort with golf. Much like Sea Island.

tons of people vacation to Kiawah and never set foot on a golf course. 

The main downside of the Sanctuary is it is $$$$

I agree completely. We’re heading down in April I’m gonna play one round of golf and we’re gonna spend the rest of the time on the beach or in the pool. We do it once a year and it’s a great time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jafino said:

Good on-site restaurants/bar, nice pool, casual hang-out spots, things to do on property.  Something more than a standard hotel.

Check out Caledonia Golf Vacations and Litchfield By The Sea. LBTS condos and The Condos at TB are available per night. Just 1hr north of Charleston. 
LBTS will have more amenities. 

Pinehurst Resort is also a great option. The Carolina Hotel has a great pool and bar and playing The Cradle /Thistle Dhu with the family is always fun.

• Like 1

I would start by checking availability at Pinehurst as it will most likely be pretty slim. They have been unbelievably busy since Covid. 

You are correct that Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines are very good golf courses. I’m not sure how feasible getting a group of 4 on any of those will be without staying on property. I haven’t stayed myself but no one raves about their hotels. Especially with a family.

Pinehurst has a cool little village and some good dinning options around but I don’t think it or the resort are great for a family vacation unless it’s focused around golf. They do have a pools at the Holly and Carolina and Lake Pinehurst seems popular. (It May be for members only).

I think Myrtle is the best option. To me, none of the amenities at Pinehurst would beat out a nice hotel pool with the ocean steps away and hundreds of restaurants in the surrounding area. I also think your family may find some of those courses more memorable. I love the Sandhills style but if I wasn’t a hardcore golfer the views and resort style courses in Myrtle would probably be more appealing. As mentioned previously, outside or 2 and 4 many of the courses leave a lot to be desired. Personally I love #3 though and it would be great for your family as described. 

• Like 1

Pinehurst and Tobacco Road would be my suggestion. You can even find some great courses in that vicinity not named Pinehurst. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a bit of warning, I just priced trips for august comparing Pinehurst and Kiawah.  Kiawah was more than double, and Pinehurst was including no 2 and 4. 
I think Pinehurst would be awesome for your family. Play 4 and 8, which are generally challenging for you and the older son but playable for the wife and younger son, and then cradle and thistle du would be great entertainment and easy fun for all 4. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

11 hours ago, okie21 said:

Just as a bit of warning, I just priced trips for august comparing Pinehurst and Kiawah.  Kiawah was more than double, and Pinehurst was including no 2 and 4. 
I think Pinehurst would be awesome for your family. Play 4 and 8, which are generally challenging for you and the older son but playable for the wife and younger son, and then cradle and thistle du would be great entertainment and easy fun for all 4. 

If you do the sanctuary its probably double but that's also a 5 star hotel.  Do the house rentals or villa rentals and its way more affordable. The problem with Kiawah in August is its a vacation destination as well as golf so thats peak season. Also Pinehurst in August (besides November-February) is the cheapest time at pinehurst.

Thanks for the advice @Drwoods2017.

Kiawah was for a cottage and Pinehurst is for a villa so it seemed lodging was similar. I think you are right - it comes down to being slow season at PH and peak season at Kiawah. 

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2023 at 7:08 PM, jafino said:

My family and I (wife and two high school-aged boys) are considering a July road trip to Charleston, SC to visit from friends.  Along the way, we plan to stop somewhere for a few days for a family golf trip.  We've narrowed our options to Myrtle Beach, Kiawah and Pinehurst (resort and/or surrounding area), but I'm a bit stumped as to what would best fit our needs and I'm hoping to crowdsource some advice.  We would all play.  I'm average mid-handicap, my older son plays to around a 5, my younger son is learning but can get around the course and won't hold anyone up and my wife doesn't mind picking up her ball from time to time.

All of these locations offer great courses, but I can't quite figure out how to weigh the intangibles that would make for the best overall experience.  Ultimately, we're looking to stay 2-3 nights and we'll probably play no more than two rounds. My goal is that the courses we pick create fun and distinct golf experience for the kids, but I'm also hopeful that the setting, accommodations and amenities also are memorable. 

I've always wanted to see Pinehurst, and we could stay at the resort but I think #2 is off the table in light of a considerable upcharge for a family of four (I think there may be a charge for #4 as well).  Based only on pictures, I think we would all enjoy the ambience and amenities of the Pinehurst resort, but I have seen mixed reviews of the food - and that's important too.

I'm also considering some combination of Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Southern Pines, but while the courses look amazing, they might lack the resort appeal of Pinehurst.  As for Myrtle Beach, I've played some of the Pawley's Island courses before, and could easily go back there to do a Caledonia/True Blue type package and have a great time.  Between Myrtle Beach and this the other Pinehurst courses, I might opt for MB given the lack of a primary resort at either location and MB's proximity to Charleston (our ultimate destination).  

I've briefly looked at Kiawah but I can't figure out how they price the golf packages.

Any and all opinions welcome! 

The heat in July can be miserable so be ready for that.  I'd probably recommend figuring something out in Myrle Beach as there could be a breeze, more to do for family, and least expensive.  You just need to coordinate so the greens aren't punched when you play.