Iron Head Covers—Where’s the Love?

I feel like depending on your bag setup, you could probably get away with just using an iron cover on every other iron right?

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

Just rest your hand on your irons when you’re walking… no bag chatter! They don’t really chatter if you use a trolly either!

think lots of people use them to “protect their investment”… but then they hit them at 100mph into the ground that could have stones or other things in that will damage them, so a little counter intuitive!

• Like 1

I play forged irons, besides the clank, clank, clank noise, I see no reason to get them all banged up, thus iron covers.

Not a single person has ever said anything about them, other than, wow your irons look like new.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

30 minutes ago, 3fiddyz said:

Just rest your hand on your irons when you’re walking… no bag chatter! They don’t really chatter if you use a trolly either!

think lots of people use them to “protect their investment”… but then they hit them at 100mph into the ground that could have stones or other things in that will damage them, so a little counter intuitive!

only place clubs should have wear is the sole and face

Paradym 9.5

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 4:06 AM, DB Golf said:

I carry my bag and use head covers on my irons to stop the chatter. I catch a lot of sh*t for using covers. 

What’s with the stigma around iron head covers?

I ignore the sh*t caught by forum members, never once has anyone on the course ever said anything about my iron covers, and like I'd GaF if they did.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

On 4/24/2023 at 4:00 PM, 3fiddyz said:

Oddly enough, my irons with covers are in MUCH better shape that my buddies' w/o, and we've had them about the same amount of time. They absolutely DO make a difference. Is it mostly cosmetic? Sure, probably. But I like a seeing a good looking club when I take off the cover. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/24/2023 at 3:00 PM, 3fiddyz said:

Guess I shouldn't put a sports car in the garage either since the real damage is gonna come when driving 100 mph. 🤷‍♂️  Dunno how it's counter-intuitive to protect our equipment from damage that could occur from not golf itself, but guess that's the day we live in.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

I ignore the sh*t caught by forum members, never once has anyone on the course ever said anything about my iron covers, and like I'd GaF if they did.

I've used iron covers for 25 years. I had a guy last year at the course that was making fun of my covers. That's it in 25 years. 

I've had more people comment how they like my covers and they have asked where I bought them. 

One year I bought a set and I liked them so much I bought three more sets. I had them in my truck and ended up selling them to people at the course when they came over to me and asked where they could get those covers. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, hwo jyo said:

I love my iron covers.  Using them for years when I got mp37 mid 00's and just last year got the mp221.  I love the way they look so just wanted to avoid all the nicks.  I use neoprene so they are not at all hard to take on/off and I just put it in my pocket.  I always keep tees and balls in my pocket so a thick sleeves feels like nothing.  

It's part vanity and resale, but mostly vanity.  oddly I keep the driver cover off the whole round cause it's pain to put back on.  

I've never heard a single person mention me using them in 20 years, but maybe cause I'm not slow and can shoot bogey on a bad day.  

here's what my irons look like after 15 years or so.

2022-06-20 18.52.37.jpg

Exactly,   and for what iron sets cost these days, keeps irons looking great

• Like 2

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

• 3 weeks later...

6 months out of the year my golf clubs live in the back of my Ford Explorer.  I don’t want to listen to them rattle as I drive.  Now I have only had one person ever comment about them not if there really isn’t a problem or at 6’6” 275 they just choose not to.  I will add when selling  or trading my old clubs and they are worth more without the bag chatter marks.   

IMG_5621.jpeg

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I converted over to iron headcovers this past weekend.  I never had anything against them - many of my friends use them - I just never got around to giving them a go.  Recently I decided that club chatter while we walk or ride is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  The ones I was using were so easy on and off that I really must wonder about the folks who seem to stuggle with them.  Anyway - problem solved. 

However, this morning as I was trudging down the first fairway with a silent bag of sticks - I could not help but notice how freaking loud the ice cubes in my water bottle were ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Phebus said:

To take this thread forward, what are the best iron covers of choice? Intrigued on getting some, but unsure of brand or style. 

You don't want to get something that you have to fiddle with to take off and put back on. Iron covers get a bad rap for slowing down play and I have seen people take way to long trying to stretch those tight neoprene ones back on their irons. At the same time you want something that stays on and doesn't work their way off riding down the fairway.

I have some Face Saver Plus iron covers I like. They are rubber that clip onto the hosel. I also have some Big Teeth covers that I have been using regular for the last 2 years. They close with velcro around the hosel. 

1 hour ago, Phebus said:

To take this thread forward, what are the best iron covers of choice? Intrigued on getting some, but unsure of brand or style. 

I like covers that have hidden magnetic clasps near the hosel. It keeps the cover on, and it I can pick up the cover by tapping on it with the iron itself. Mine are Miura iron covers, but I have seen others with a similar design.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

• 4 weeks later...

My 2cents--the hate for iron covers and those who use them is entertaining.  Why people make such a big deal is beyond me.  I don't use them, but if someone plays forged irons, and tends to turn them over often to get new ones, it makes sense to use covers to maximize resale value. In fact, not using them would be flushing money down the toilet.  No bag chatter results in greater resale value.  Would iron cover haters pay as much for irons with chatter as a matter of principle, and to reward those who don't use them?  Me thinks not.

• Like 1

I used iron covers briefly when I was fairly new to the game. They didn't last long however... within a season I had lost two and very quickly got fed up with fiddling them on and off with each shot. As a novice player at the time, I was already self-conscious about my pace of play and it really felt like they slowed me down and messed up whatever rhythm I had while playing. That said, I've never encountered any sort of school-yard nonsense where covers are concerned. In fact I don't think I have ever encountered or played with anyone with iron covers. 

As to the whole resale value/investment argument, I humbly contribute the following three words: Tools, not jewels.

Cheers guys ...

Edited by Sir-Shanks-A-Lot

WITB (Spring 2024):

Driver:               Mizuno MP600 (9.5*)

3W:                    Titleist 909F2 (15.5*)

Hybrid:              TaylorMade Burner Rescue (19*)

Irons:                 Mizuno MX-200 (4-G)

Wedges:            Vokey Oil Can (54*); Mizuno MP-T (58*)

Putter:               Odyssey White Steel 2-ball SRT

Ball:                   Srixon Q-Star Yellow / Kirkland Signature v3 Yellow

The configuration of my prior bag worked well enough that with a powered handcart there was no chatter. My current bag is only 3 club slots wide, and after trying every configuration of clubs imaginable, there was no way to be chatter free. 

I made two neoprene iron covers for my gap wedge and pitching wedge out of koozies. The wedges go in the long middle slot and hang down between two of the 52,56,60 wedges in the bottom row. 

No more chatter. 

Easy to tell the 2 wedges apart as one cover is canary yellow with an insignia of "Rossie" and the other is purple with red circles.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

On 11/29/2023 at 2:42 PM, KensingtonPark said:

I like covers that have hidden magnetic clasps near the hosel. It keeps the cover on, and it I can pick up the cover by tapping on it with the iron itself. Mine are Miura iron covers, but I have seen others with a similar design.

Club Glove Neoprene. Easy on... easy off. Fits cleanly in my back pocket to hit, and slides right back on. I've used head covers for a long time with my soft forged irons, and don't affect my speed of play at all. I'm usually the one trying to get others to get moving. Started out using them just in my trunk when I kept my clubs there, and forgot to take them off one day. Never looked back. My irons look great... except for the browning in the contact point.

• Like 1