Iron Head Covers—Where’s the Love?

8 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

Oh I don’t use iron covers but my irons are 4 year old cast pings. However there’s an online stereotype with some gear and I’ve never met them in reality in over twenty years of golf. I’d love to meet someone with a tour bag and matching clubs that shoots over 100 to tick it off my bucket list 🤣

I only seen it once and it was at the local muni of all places! Haha

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, slolane said:

Just wondering if you guys that don't use iron covers and make fun of the guys that do, do you use covers on your woods? If you do use covers on your woods could it be for the same reason some use them on irons? Just asking for a friend.

Woods (be they persimmon, metal or carbon fiber) are fragile and can be destroyed if irons (solid hunks of metal) hit them.  Back in the persimmon days, we would leave the head covers off if the wood got wet.

13 minutes ago, philly2kuk said:

I’d love to meet someone with a tour bag and matching clubs that shoots over 100 to tick it off my bucket list 🤣

They exist for sure.  The best one I ever saw was when I was still working at a GT.  Pulled up to the front of the store, left the car running.  Came in with the new full set he had bought a few weeks earlier and started to complain how bad they were after he was fit for them and everything.  Had a terrible swing and would hit it as far as he did right off the tee, but it was the clubs fault...  An impromptu lesson and 20 mins later and he left...

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

IMHO...

Iron : iron headcover :: sofa : plastic cover

I’m fine with anybody who uses them.  My brother used them on every iron set he owned (all of them forged) and they looked immaculate after decades of use.  He would be crazy not to use them because the appearance of his irons meant a lot to him.

Personally, give me an iron with clean grooves and I'm ready to go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PNWGuy said:

Woods (be they persimmon, metal or carbon fiber) are fragile and can be destroyed if irons (solid hunks of metal) hit them.  Back in the persimmon days, we would leave the head covers off if the wood got wet.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have been playing this game for over 50 years started with hickory shafts. I learned something new today. Covers on wood ok covers on irons not ok.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

I have an organizer bag now but use to use covers- The bag chatter on forged clubs makes clubs look horrible...

Someone asked me once why (sarcastically)  in front of our golf group...heard a few chuckles. So I said when you spend $1500 on a new set of clubs, why wouldn't you spend $10 more for covers to keep them from looking all marred up from bag chatter? If I see used clubs that have bag chatter for sale - I pass right over them and keep looking.

I think it kills any resale value-

14 minutes ago, slolane said:

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have been playing this game for over 50 years started with hickory shafts. I learned something new today. Covers on wood ok covers on irons not ok.

Whatever people want to use is OK!  I personally don’t use iron covers but do cover my woods because I don’t want to destroy my $600 carbon filer driver by smacking an iron off the crown.

• Like 2

I’ve always wanted to play a full set of blades…mainly for ego/street cred reasons, but I’m just not good enough. 

I came up with a decent solution at the end of last season involving iron covers. 

I bought a full set of iron covers for my G410s and a single MP69 that I leave in the bag with no cover. Now people think I’m playing blades, but I’ve got a bag full of SGIs.

I’ve actually taken things up a notch in the past week or so and have been tapping my MP69 with a small stone on the sweet spot to build up a nice wear pattern. GG fellas. 

• Like 1

D - Mizuno ST200G, Tour AD-XC

3W - TSi2, Tour AD-HD

2i - Mizuno MP-H5

4-P - Cleveland 588 MB - KBS Tour

50,54,60 - Vokey SM9 - KBS 610

P - TP Mills Custom Ming

2 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

It’s a misconception they slow you down, just as rangefinders “slow you down”. Everyone I’ve played with that has used iron covers or range finders hasn’t taken any longer than necessary. Some of the slowest players I know don’t use either, they just mess about before and after shots.

I agree with you. I have used iron covers for many years. If you were to play with me you wouldn't know I was using them. I pull my club from my bag take a few steps to my ball and my cover is already in my pocket. After my shot if my club doesn't need wiping off I take a few steps back to my bag and my cover is already on. What adds to my time is wiping my club off with a wet towel after my shot. I wonder how many people wipe their club off if it has dirt or sand on it? The one guy I play with will tell you my iron covers make me slow because I am at my bag wiping my club. That has nothing to do with my cover. He will take his shot and put his dirty club back into his bag. The next time he pulls that club he will set up to his ball, take a few practice swings, then realizes he has dirt on his club. He comes back to the cart and grabs his brush and wipes off his club. He then goes back to his ball and goes through his setup all over again. That drives me crazy.

I use to say how much rangefinders slow down a person. I've played with people you wouldn't know are using them. I've played with people that are extremely slow using them.

As with anything it comes back to how efficient someone is with doing or using something. When you see someone fumbling around with their iron covers or range finder it gives you the impression it's the covers or rangefinder that is the problem when really it is that particular person. Too many people stereotype things. I'm guilty of it myself.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PNWGuy said:

Whatever people want to use is OK!  I personally don’t use iron covers but do cover my woods because I don’t want to destroy my $600 carbon filer driver by smacking an iron off the crown.

Couldn't agree more, that is why most guys use covers on woods. The point I was trying to make is if you cover woods and irons you might have less chance of damage from contact. Not saying one side is right or wrong just trying to understand the animosity towards those that cover irons.

• Like 1

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

9 hours ago, DB Golf said:

I carry my bag and use head covers on my irons to stop the chatter. I catch a lot of sh*t for using covers. 

What’s with the stigma around iron head covers?

You catch a lot of sh**.  Not surprising.  I have two friends that love their head covers.  I typically say nothing until they leave head covers here and there during play, which contributes to slow POP cause they have to chase back holes to find them.  Sorry, no love.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

You catch a lot of sh**.  Not surprising.  I have two friends that love their head covers.  I typically say nothing until they leave head covers here and there during play, which contributes to slow POP cause they have to chase back holes to find them.  Sorry, no love.

I think that has to do with the particular people using them. I have used iron covers for over 20 years. I have never lost one or had to go back for one.. I find putter covers, driver, and wood head covers on the course. Do you use covers for your putter, woods, and driver or no love for them either?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slolane said:

Just wondering if you guys that don't use iron covers and make fun of the guys that do, do you use covers on your woods? If you do use covers on your woods could it be for the same reason some use them on irons? Just asking for a friend.

I have many better things to do than care about someone else's iron covers, or any other part of their gear.

4 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I think that has to do with the particular people using them. I have used iron covers for over 20 years. I have never lost one or had to go back for one.. I find putter covers, driver, and wood head covers on the course. Do you use covers for your putter, woods, and driver or no love for them either?

LOL OK, you're an exception.  At my last two clubs we used to have head covers/ iron covers turned in all the time.  There's a special basket for them. LOL,

Yep, I have D, 3wd and 1 putter cover, each custom-made @$175.  Club Head materials are more susceptible to dings as opposed to my forged irons.  I won't go into the costs of ea of the aforementioned clubs.  On the other hand, my irons, though costly, are replaced every 3+ yrs, because I play a lot of golf, more than most.  Irons are tools, like the tools in the garage for the P-car.  I take care of what I own, but they are still tools to be used in the turf/dirt.  Plus I don't use my driver or 3wd nearly as often as irons.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

35 minutes ago, Naptime said:

A rangefinder can save time if knowing the yardage helps you avoid a hazard and/or other causes of extra strokes.  Not sure any club cover of any kind can actually save time.  😀

I don't think anyone is claiming an iron cover saves time. There are people that think it adds time but as I mentioned above that depends on the person. I agree a range finder can save time. In the wrong hands i feel it adds quite a bit more time than anyone having a problem with iron covers. I see more people slowing down pace of play using rangefinders than I do fumbling with iron covers. I won't stereotype either as contributing to slow play because I understand it is the person using it not the item itself.

Elitist’s here will look down upon you….

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I ride 100% of the time as do 99.9% of the golfers at my club.  I use iron covers because 1.  I like to keep my equipment looking nice (I always get top dollar when I trade in or sell).  2.  I don’t like the noise of clubs banging around behind me.  3.  I don’t slow down play by using them.

In my regular group of six, two of us use them.  The other guys have decent gear but don’t use them.  They also don’t ever clean their clubs, change their grips or clean their shoes and their cars are always dirty.  Notice a pattern?

Edited by GolfGuitarsCars
  • Like 2

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

You will find the love in the fine print of the return policy for the iron covers…. 😂 

I’m a big believer in each to their own and having some fun. Good friend uses them, and I give him grief. He also hits it 20 yards past me and gives it right back!  All good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

Great thing about golfers is that they love for you to be unique as long as you’re unique in the same way as them. Absolutely no reason at all to care who does and who doesn’t use head covers of any kind. But most don’t, so if you do, then you stand out. 

Unique=good

Uniquely unique=bad

Now I rarely get any looks but I just turn the tables and say something about someone’s ugly clubs if they do. 

I like my covers. I’ll keep using my covers. Have since the very first set I purchased close to 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

Vr Pro's after 8 years with iron covers

Z-965 with no iron covers.

135649278_IronCovers.jpg.b4bad25c3b48794ce4578017731d82bf.jpg

• Like 3

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

• 2 weeks later...

I use iron covers when checking my clubs with the airline as added protection. I did use them as well for the times when I rode a cart.  I'm walking even more these days and rarely use them. There sure are a lot of bumpy cart paths on courses I play, and the the people who ride all the time, who also have forged irons, or worse, forged blades, typically have really beat-up clubs. That either matters or doesn't matter to you.  

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX