2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Moving to Carolinas, need country club recs. Young and remote worker

Ironcovers

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd pick the city, or at least a short list of cities, before digging into golf courses. The Carolinas are a big place and there are a ton of golf courses out there. Are you looking to be by the coast? mountains? middle? bigger city? small town? need to be near an airport?

Even in Charlotte or Raleigh (I think the two most expensive places you'll find for golf - other than resort town or beach areas) you can find a nice course to play that's close to your budget if you don't mind living 20 minutes outside of the city and driving 20 minutes from there to golf. 

Largely agree with most of the other posts. 

One thing I'd add is to look at most of South Carolina if golf is #1 driver of this.  It's a little warmer which can make a big difference in the winter months.   Less frost delays, higher quality turf, etc.  Price is less in most of SC.

Only other thing I'd add is the sandbelt that swings through both states.  If you want quality playing conditions this makes a big difference and most of these have that.  Courses built on clay aren't fun.  

16 minutes ago, PeteNC said:

Largely agree with most of the other posts. 

One thing I'd add is to look at most of South Carolina if golf is #1 driver of this.  It's a little warmer which can make a big difference in the winter months.   Less frost delays, higher quality turf, etc.  Price is less in most of SC.

Only other thing I'd add is the sandbelt that swings through both states.  If you want quality playing conditions this makes a big difference and most of these have that.  Courses built on clay aren't fun.  

Agree with what Pete says here. I live in Greenville, SC and while it's South Carolina, dormant Bermuda makes winter golf a lot different and the weather falls right in between Bermuda and Bent grass on greens (Bermuda in the winter isn't fun and Bent in the heat of the summer can be a struggle to keep alive).

That being said, upstate South Carolina would not be a recommendation from a resident who moved from the Chicago area. The good clubs have wait lists around 3-4 years and the clubs who will take you and fit your budget aren't all that special. I joined one as a junior member and while it's nice and there's a solid group of guys, it's far from the club and course I was at in Chicago.  And if you're willing to wait 3-4 years to get into a higher end club and pay 30-40k initiation, public golf in the area is shameful. If golf is a major factor for you, I'd stay away. You'd be better off near Highlands, NC or Charlotte.

There's a ton of golf at all sorts of price points near HHI if you're up for that!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Nowhere in North Carolina is "perfect." But, many places are pretty darn good. Pick your poison . . . too hot and humid in the summer or too cold in the winter. Hurricanes on the coast and places in the mountains are too remote. One measure is altitude. For me, the sweet spot is the range of 2000 - 3000 feet MSL. No, not always perfect, but it's one way to look at it. 

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Pretty much every club in Charlotte has waiting lists. Before we moved here last year I had a gauge on initiation fees, those fees have doubled and tripled in some cases now. Plus there are multi-year waiting lists. I inquired at one club south of Charlotte just by the SC border, 25k down and 900 a month. That was one of the "cheaper" options in the area.

We are actually looking at Raleigh and Greensboro as options as well, after being in Charlotte for almost 9 months now.

15 hours ago, 5 O'Clock Charlie said:

Pretty much every club in Charlotte has waiting lists. Before we moved here last year I had a gauge on initiation fees, those fees have doubled and tripled in some cases now. Plus there are multi-year waiting lists. I inquired at one club south of Charlotte just by the SC border, 25k down and 900 a month. That was one of the "cheaper" options in the area.

We are actually looking at Raleigh and Greensboro as options as well, after being in Charlotte for almost 9 months now.

Raleigh is going to be just as bad as Charlotte because in addition to being a growing city, there are way fewer clubs, even when expanding out to Durham and Chapel Hill.  The only really nice club in the area, Carolina Country Club, had an insane waiting list even before COVID, so I can only imagine how long it is now.

Greensboro CC is nice, relatively inexpensive, and probably not a long wait, but there is not much to do in Greensboro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 5 O'Clock Charlie said:

What was the club?

Just out of curiosity, WTF is "the Carolinas?"

I mean, I've lived in the heart of dixie, and we clearly saw a line of demarcation between North and South Carolina. I'm guessing there's some SC folks that don't take kindly to being mixed up with Raleigh-Durham.

Even beyond that, you've got lowland, piedmont, and high country divisions to consider throughout the region. 

Gotta know your culture and geography.  

• Haha 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

39 minutes ago, jholz said:

Just out of curiosity, WTF is "the Carolinas?"

I mean, I've lived in the heart of dixie, and we clearly saw a line of demarcation between North and South Carolina. I'm guessing there's some SC folks that don't take kindly to being mixed up with Raleigh-Durham.

Even beyond that, you've got lowland, piedmont, and high country divisions to consider throughout the region. 

Gotta know your culture and geography.  

Have to say, the broadness of the question caught my eye, too. Maybe it's just a general SE area he's looking for? I would think most people would say, "Coastal Carolinas" or think in terms of mountains or other topography or be looking for a specific climate. "Carolinas" pretty much has it all aside from large deserts! 

Stick me up in the Smokies and I could be a happy camper! Of course golf options are probably much thinner than on the Grand Strand!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

Have to say, the broadness of the question caught my eye, too. Maybe it's just a general SE area he's looking for? I would think most people would say, "Coastal Carolinas" or think in terms of mountains or other topography or be looking for a specific climate. "Carolinas" pretty much has it all aside from large deserts! 

Stick me up in the Smokies and I could be a happy camper! Of course golf options are probably much thinner than on the Grand Strand!

It is a funny thing. Here in the mid-Atlantic, I do find that a lot of people tend to just ignore SC. When they say "the Carolinas," they are talking about a summer rental in the outer banks.

Can't help but be a bit offended. Such an incredible area of the country. So much history. So much diversity in people, culture, and geography.

I've found so many areas that I absolutely love - from Boone and Johnson City, the Nahunta Pork Center in Pikesville NC, college baseball in Columbia, and all the way down to Charleston and Hilton Head - not to forget the Gullah communities and the amazing intercoastal fishing.

I also have an affinity for SC BBQ - although East Central Alabama whole hog still blows it out of the water. 🙂

or
or

1 minute ago, jholz said:

It is a funny thing. Here in the mid-Atlantic, I do find that a lot of people tend to just ignore SC. When they say "the Carolinas," they are talking about a summer rental in the outer banks.

Can't help but be a bit offended. Such an incredible area of the country. So much history. So much diversity in people, culture, and geography.

I've found so many areas that I absolutely love - from Boone and Johnson City, the Nahunta Pork Center in Pikesville NC, college baseball in Columbia, and all the way down to Charleston and Hilton Head - not to forget the Gullah communities and the amazing intercoastal fishing.

I also have an affinity for SC BBQ - although East Central Alabama whole hog still blows it out of the water. 🙂

I just moved to the Mid-Atlantic region last year (SouthCentral PA) from Indiana. I have noticed that a LOT of people here vacation in the OBX. For a time I traveled along the coast of the Carolinas down through FL as my job was commercial watersports insurance. OBX is awesome, but I agree there is so much more to both states. Charleston has some amazing history. Sort Sumter. Parks, etc. Had family who lived on Lake Norman in NC before it became the home of millionaires and sports stars. Place was beautiful when I was a kid. 

We recently traveled to Myrtle Beach. Haven't been there for a while and went down primarily for the golf. I will say I was surprised at just how much MB proper has deteriorated. The nice hotels of yesterday seem like run of the mill or worse. Homeless everywhere. Walked past a pair of homeless on the boardwalk mainlining out in the open on a bench. The boardwalk itself felt like a dark alley of NYC at night. It was just bizarre. Last time we were down there, I would have considered letting my kids run down by themselves for ice cream. Now I'm not sure that I'd let them down there without armed guards! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

I just moved to the Mid-Atlantic region last year (SouthCentral PA) from Indiana. I have noticed that a LOT of people here vacation in the OBX. For a time I traveled along the coast of the Carolinas down through FL as my job was commercial watersports insurance. OBX is awesome, but I agree there is so much more to both states. Charleston has some amazing history. Sort Sumter. Parks, etc. Had family who lived on Lake Norman in NC before it became the home of millionaires and sports stars. Place was beautiful when I was a kid. 

We recently traveled to Myrtle Beach. Haven't been there for a while and went down primarily for the golf. I will say I was surprised at just how much MB proper has deteriorated. The nice hotels of yesterday seem like run of the mill or worse. Homeless everywhere. Walked past a pair of homeless on the boardwalk mainlining out in the open on a bench. The boardwalk itself felt like a dark alley of NYC at night. It was just bizarre. Last time we were down there, I would have considered letting my kids run down by themselves for ice cream. Now I'm not sure that I'd let them down there without armed guards! 

Yeah, I had a meth-addicted, biker, aunt-in-law who moved to Myrtle Beach to get clean in 2010 or so. Passed away down there, both predictably and unfortunately - but your characterization of the area fits with my experience. Her memorial service was one of the weirdest weekends I've ever spent anywhere.

The best word to describe central Myrtle Beach, at least in my mind, is decidedly "seedy."

But, I certainly don't want to offend @BIG STU...that guy seems to be SC and Myrtle Beach through and through. Gotta respect it.

Edited by jholz
  • Like 1

or
or

49 minutes ago, jholz said:

I was with right up until you threw that line in about alabama bbq.  Now we have to fight.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

I was with right up until you threw that line in about alabama bbq.  Now we have to fight.

Well yes, of course we do. Outside of the folks who live there, I think I must be one of the few defenders of East Central Alabama BBQ - and the culture does spread into West Central Georgia as well.

But, it's a very specific and niche area of BBQ. Not many folks get to experience it.

I mean, unless you've got a specific reason for going, not many people are going to randomly find themselves in Lochapoka, Alabama.

• Like 1

or
or