2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Peachtree Golf Club - ATL - Possible to get on unaccompanied with call from director of golf at home club?

chollz

From what I read about Peachtree Golf Club, its VERY exclusive and private but I have to ask for those of you that have played (or maybe there are some members on this forum?)....

Is it possible to get on as an unaccompanied guest during the week?

I will be in ATL for a business trip and wanted to play some golf while I am there. Was going to contact my Director of Golf at my home club and have him call and see if he could get me on but was unsure if this is even possible...

For some context, I belong to a nice club on the west coast (high end member-owned but nothing like Cypress, LACC, etc.) so I thought it would be worth a shot. I know some clubs will allow unaccompanied guests (I have a friend who was able to play unaccompanied at Cypress) and was wondering if Peachtree does the same thing. I'm a 0 index so its not like I'm a 27 handi coming to hack up the course and play in 5.5 hours. Not sure if that makes a difference...

Thanks for any help on my question!

PING G430 Max 10k - Ventus TR Blue 6S

PING G430 Max 3W - Ventus TR Blue 7S

PING G430 19* Hybrid - Ventus TR Blue 8S

PING Blueprint S 4-PW - Project X IO 6.5

PING Glide S159 TOUR ONLY Raw - 50, 54, 60

PING Harwood Armlock Putter (JumboMax 17 Grip)

Just now, ND2005 said:

Not happening unless you know someone. Or the call is coming from a similarly elite club. 

Not even then. If you’re Tom Brady, Jon Rahm, or a U.S. Senator, you may be able to get the club to send an email to members to see if anyone is willing to host you, but no chance you’re getting an unaccompanied round.  

4 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

Not happening unless you know someone. Or the call is coming from a similarly elite club. 

Got it, thanks!

Out of curiosity, have you played there? If so, what was it like? Does it live up to the hype?

3 minutes ago, chollz said:

Got it, thanks!

Out of curiosity, have you played there? If so, what was it like? Does it live up to the hype?

I play there a couple times a year. It’s no doubt a great golf course. But it’s not as memorable to me as courses like Cypress or the Ocean Course (of course, it’s not on a beach). Definitely a must play if you get the chance, but I’m not sure I enjoy it so much more than my own club (another high end club in Atlanta). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chollz said:

Got it, thanks!

It's been over 20 years and don't remember much as I was a kid, but the conditions were probably the best I've ever seen. I was able to play b/c one of my good friends growing up was a caddie. 

4 minutes ago, Octopus Golfer said:

I play there a couple times a year. It’s no doubt a great golf course. But it’s not as memorable to me as courses like Cypress or the Ocean Course (of course, it’s not on a beach). Definitely a must play if you get the chance, but I’m not sure I enjoy it so much more than my own club (another high end club in Atlanta). 

Thanks for your input. What do you think is the best course in Atlanta regardless of whether it is public or private?

Just now, chollz said:

Thanks for your input. What do you think is the best course in Atlanta regardless of whether it is public or private?

Our public courses are terrible. Peachtree is probably number 1. But Cherokee North, Ansley Settingdown, and Atlanta Country Club are all strong contenders in my book. And if you’ve never played East Lake, it’s a really cool experience as well. Atlanta Athletic Club is neat too because of the history, having hosted a few majors and the U.S. Am. And you can get on AAC unaccompanied with a call from a solid club. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Octopus Golfer said:

Our public courses are terrible. Peachtree is probably number 1. But Cherokee North, Ansley Settingdown, and Atlanta Country Club are all strong contenders in my book. And if you’ve never played East Lake, it’s a really cool experience as well. Atlanta Athletic Club is neat too because of the history, having hosted a few majors and the U.S. Am. And you can get on AAC unaccompanied with a call from a solid club. 

Cool, thanks!

I have a bunch of friends who caddie at Peachtree and I have looped there myself at times. If me and my buddies could barely get on to play there as caddies, I wish you the best. I will say it is by far the coolest golf course I have ever played or been on. The options listed above are great alternatives but I would add Capital City Crabapple or Hawk's Ridge if you don't mind a bit of a drive, I have also caddied at Crabapple and I think that and Settingdown are my two favorites in the Atlanta area.

Stealth 2 Plus 8* - OG HZRDUS Black 6.5 65g

Stealth 2 Plus 14* - HZRDUS Smoke Blue 6.5 75g

Apex UW 19* - Kai'li White 90TX

ZX7 MkII 4i, Z-Forged MkII 5-9i - X100 TI

RTX 6 Raw 46º 52º 56º 60º S400 TI

Spider X | Z-Star Diamond

1 hour ago, JDollplaysgolf said:

I have a bunch of friends who caddie at Peachtree and I have looped there myself at times. If me and my buddies could barely get on to play there as caddies, I wish you the best. I will say it is by far the coolest golf course I have ever played or been on. The options listed above are great alternatives but I would add Capital City Crabapple or Hawk's Ridge if you don't mind a bit of a drive, I have also caddied at Crabapple and I think that and Settingdown are my two favorites in the Atlanta area.

Awesome, thanks for the input.

Despite the warnings, I'm still going to try and ask my director of golf to see if he can help me.

Worst that can happen is they say NO!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chollz said:

Despite the warnings, I'm still going to try and ask my director of golf to see if he can help me.

My guess is that your director won't even make the call.  They will say no, and he won't want to get embarrassed.  Although maybe he knows him or something...  I have played there once in a charity event.  

Great place.  We got to play our own ball so did not have to do a scramble format.  Old school clubhouse, old school caddies.   In the traditional sense, Peachtree is for sure the #1 golf club in Atlanta.  Old course, Bobby Jones, old blue blood money, lots of history.  That being said, I would not put the course itself in the top 5 in Atlanta.  Interesting layout with rolling terrain.  However there were no holes where I thought, "Man I can't wait to play that one again".  

Will I go there every chance I get?  100% yes

Is it worthy of its accolades?  Yes

Is it my favorite?  No

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

My guess is that your director won't even make the call.  They will say no, and he won't want to get embarrassed.  Although maybe he knows him or something... 

I was going to say something similar. Unless you are 100% sure that he could get you on, I probably wouldn't put your DoG in the position of making that akward call.

It might make him a little hesitant to make that call again for you in the future. 

Personally, I don't ask my DoG to do that unless I know he can pull the strings. Plus, when he does I always make sure to get him a small thank you gift (bottle of wine, whisky, etc.).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

My guess is that your director won't even make the call.  They will say no, and he won't want to get embarrassed.  Although maybe he knows him or something...  I have played there once in a charity event.  

Great place.  We got to play our own ball so did not have to do a scramble format.  Old school clubhouse, old school caddies.   In the traditional sense, Peachtree is for sure the #1 golf club in Atlanta.  Old course, Bobby Jones, old blue blood money, lots of history.  That being said, I would not put the course itself in the top 5 in Atlanta.  Interesting layout with rolling terrain.  However there were no holes where I thought, "Man I can't wait to play that one again".  

Will I go there every chance I get?  100% yes

Is it worthy of its accolades?  Yes

Is it my favorite?  No

I think you captured my thoughts on Peachtree precisely. It’s an awesome course, but no truly remarkable holes. 

15 hours ago, chollz said:

I’m actually playing Peachtree this week. I’ll try to remember to ask if there’s any chance of playing with a call from the pro. Based on conversations I’ve had with my friends who are members, I am pretty certain I know the answer. I know for a fact they reject requests from A-list celebrities and instead ask their members if someone is willing to host. 

2 hours ago, Abh159 said:

I was going to say something similar. Unless you are 100% sure that he could get you on, I probably wouldn't put your DoG in the position of making that akward call.

It might make him a little hesitant to make that call again for you in the future. 

Personally, I don't ask my DoG to do that unless I know he can pull the strings. Plus, when he does I always make sure to get him a small thank you gift (bottle of wine, whisky, etc.).

Agreed. Don't get in your own club's bad graces by putting them in that position. 

• 1 month later...

I have been lucky to play it twice.  Once in a two man best ball for a kids football fundraising event and another time playing my own ball with a member.

Conditions - Best in Atlanta

Layout - a few cool holes (one par 3 and one par 5 stand out in my mind) nothing spectacular.

Hardest course in Atlanta to get on, without a doubt, also far and away the most prestigious.  Golf Digest a few years back said it was harder to get on than August National, which I think can be the case unless you live in Atlanta.  I have met quite a few that have played it, but not Augusta, I do live in Atlanta however.

Courses I like better - No particular order

East Lake - Not by much

AAC - Highlands

Cherokee - South since the re-design

Settindown

PDC

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Yes, I have played Peachtree and no, a cold phone call will not open the door.  If you can network to a member you will be ok, and yes it is worth the effort.  It is not the strongest or most memorable track ever, but it is unique.  You will be transported to another time...and you will be in a bubble where nothing else exists.  It is a place where friends can enjoy each other and the game.  I drop anything else to play there.  The locker room and the portrait above the steep stairs are favorites.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 5:09 PM, Schley said:

Im surprised with those saying Peachtree is nothing spectacular?  I played it earlier this year and thought it was a top 50 course in the USA.  Greens are great, forgiving off the tee.  Loved the course.  

I agree.  I’d really be splitting hairs to try to compare it to other great courses I’ve gotten to play, but I can’t say that I’ve played one that is clearly better.  I’ve played it three times, and liked it better every time; just a great design on a great piece of land.

As to getting on the course, ONLY with a member, and the members are VERY careful about bringing guests.  There is no way a cold call from a DOG gets you on Peachtree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found this thread, and want to make sure to know I am not "bashing" Peachtree.  I find the comments interesting.

I had heard of Peachtree before but never thought much about it.  

* They will not talk to you unless your at a similar club of sorts, and not even then

* Your pro will not want to call, be embarrassed to call

* Caddied there but was impossible to play also 

* Similar course in stature

* Brady, Rahm can all and get play with a member otherwise not

Why?  What makes it so elitist?

I get the history with Bobby J, and it looks like a pretty course but honestly from looking at it from the  outside it looks like exactly like a RTJ course.  It looks like many courses you might see in Pinehurst, Alabama (thinking Shoal Creek), etc.

I thought it would be a top 50 world course based on responses.  II ranks just inside the top 50 in the US and not in the top 100 in the world.    

Is it because it is in ATL and the population base? 

I see a number of people saying it was not memorable.  Looking at the pictures it looks like a lot of other golf clubs in the area/region so I could see why those comments where made.  Again, just looking from the outside I feel I would have the same feeling.  

Don't get me wrong, many of us on here seem to belong to a golf club, some "viewed" better or worse but that one thing for sure and beauty of golf we all have different types of courses we like.  I belong to a club that is super laid back, the course is highly regarded, but the club is super super low key and believes in the "no d*ck" policy.   It surprises people how low key it is honestly. 

I assume it is just the membership wants to keeps some form of "rarefied air" status ???

Some places just don't want to run into problems and potential "uncomfortableness" that comes with guest play.

You can have a very buttoned-up club with a dog track for a course so I don't think the course or course ranking itself is really the driving force behind keeping the doors shut.  LACC by all accounts is pretty closed-up but before the renovation of their course I don't think it was very highly ranked, especially in comparison to other courses (public courses at that) in California.

10 hours ago, CDM said:

Found this thread, and want to make sure to know I am not "bashing" Peachtree.  I find the comments interesting.

I had heard of Peachtree before but never thought much about it.  

* They will not talk to you unless your at a similar club of sorts, and not even then

* Your pro will not want to call, be embarrassed to call

* Caddied there but was impossible to play also 

* Similar course in stature

* Brady, Rahm can all and get play with a member otherwise not

Why?  What makes it so elitist?

I get the history with Bobby J, and it looks like a pretty course but honestly from looking at it from the  outside it looks like exactly like a RTJ course.  It looks like many courses you might see in Pinehurst, Alabama (thinking Shoal Creek), etc.

I thought it would be a top 50 world course based on responses.  II ranks just inside the top 50 in the US and not in the top 100 in the world.    

Is it because it is in ATL and the population base? 

I see a number of people saying it was not memorable.  Looking at the pictures it looks like a lot of other golf clubs in the area/region so I could see why those comments where made.  Again, just looking from the outside I feel I would have the same feeling.  

Don't get me wrong, many of us on here seem to belong to a golf club, some "viewed" better or worse but that one thing for sure and beauty of golf we all have different types of courses we like.  I belong to a club that is super laid back, the course is highly regarded, but the club is super super low key and believes in the "no d*ck" policy.   It surprises people how low key it is honestly. 

I assume it is just the membership wants to keeps some form of "rarefied air" status ???

Old South Old Money. That's really all there is to it. 

• Like 1

Peachtree is not just another RTJ course, and you can’t get any sense of the place from outside.  IMO, the main reason it isn’t rated higher is quite simple; raters can’t just go there.  I think many would be surprised at how many really good private courses aren’t open to raters, and don’t really care whether or not they make a magazine list.

I’ve played a lot of places, and my share of Top 100 course, both modern and classic.  Great golf courses are so unique that rating one above another becomes very, very subjective; the difference between #1 and #25 and #50 is negligible. That said, I’d be hard pressed to rate anything I’ve ever played above Peachtree; it’s that good.

Is Peachtree “Old South, Old Money”?  As a club, yes it is, without a doubt.  But as a golf course? Peachtree is far, FAR better than that, make no mistake about it.

On 10/15/2023 at 9:13 AM, bluedot said:

Peachtree is not just another RTJ course, and you can’t get any sense of the place from outside.  IMO, the main reason it isn’t rated higher is quite simple; raters can’t just go there.  I think many would be surprised at how many really good private courses aren’t open to raters, and don’t really care whether or not they make a magazine list.

I’ve played a lot of places, and my share of Top 100 course, both modern and classic.  Great golf courses are so unique that rating one above another becomes very, very subjective; the difference between #1 and #25 and #50 is negligible. That said, I’d be hard pressed to rate anything I’ve ever played above Peachtree; it’s that good.

Is Peachtree “Old South, Old Money”?  As a club, yes it is, without a doubt.  But as a golf course? Peachtree is far, FAR better than that, make no mistake about it.

I’m just curious as to what you think makes it so much better than other great courses. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve played it many times and think it is a phenomenal golf course. But I also think Atlanta Country Club, Settingdown, Cherokee North, etc. are also phenomenal. What makes Peachtree far and away better than those courses?