2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Should Music Be Allowed on the Golf Course?

11 hours ago, Robert72 said:

Playing music on the golf course is equivalent to driving 10 MPH under the speed limit.

Only self indulgent, oblivious, nimrods do it.

Everybody hates that guy.

You don't sound like you'd be much fun at ... anything!  Music is here to stay on the golf course, and will become more prevalent as time goes on.  Get dancing old man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rzitup said:

You don't sound like you'd be much fun at ... anything!  Music is here to stay on the golf course, and will become more prevalent as time goes on.  Get dancing old man!

I can remember a time long ago when I played music at obnoxious levels in my car or at a park, campground, backyard, etc.  I truly thought everyone was into it too, I was so cool, lol.  Now I call it the "look at me" syndrome. 

Looking back at it I realize what an idiot I was as a teenager.  I had no right to force people to listen to my music.  It's not like a party they chose to be at, they were just in their cars going about their daily life or at a park or even in their own yard trying to enjoy the outside and my actions ruined it for them.

• Thanks 3

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

3 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

I'm not an old man and I love music, but the irony appears lost on you that you want golf YOUR way, but someone else wanting it a way that is not like your way means THEY need to adapt. 

Would never project this about you since I don't know you, but what I find in general is that people with that attitude are also the ones who get most upset when someone comes along disrupts YOUR enjoyment of the game. It's like the guy who loves to look at other women who gets upset when he sees someone looking at his wife. 

I don't want it my way, I want to be able to do what i am allowed to, that's all.  I have yet to play at a golf course that has a "no music" rule.   Therefore, I am going to listen to music.  And you couldn't be more wrong with your projection of me...it's the opposite.  I am all for everyone enjoying their lives and doing the things they want to do.  If that means some inconvenience to me, so be it...look all you want!

I have a speaker on my cart and I enjoy listening to music.  I keep it at a respectable volume, so that I can hear it when I am in my cart, and hitting shots within my group.  This means there are going to be times when others, from adjacent holes and greens/tees, will likely be able to hear the music.  I am not going to apologize for disturbing the chirping of birds when what I am doing is reasonable, allowed and becoming more accepted and the norm every day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bekgolf said:

I can remember a time long ago when I played music at obnoxious levels in my car or at a park, campground, backyard, etc.  I truly thought everyone was into it too, I was so cool, lol.  Now I call it the "look at me" syndrome. 

Looking back at it I realize what an idiot I was as a teenager.  I had no right to force people to listen to my music.  It's not like a party they chose to be at, they were just in their cars going about their daily life or at a park or even in their own yard trying to enjoy the outside and my actions ruined it for them.

Comparing a teenager blasting music in his car, to a golfer playing music in his golf cart, are to me, apples and oranges.

I get that the non-music crowd think everyone is blasting music all over the course, but thats not (in my experience) the case.  I have been consistent with my views on this...I play music at a respectable level, and because we are crossing paths, others might hear.  Not stopping, not apologizing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot apply quiet to someone who wants to listen to music.  The guy who wants to listen to music can absolutely apply his music to me, and that is rude.  No different than a cigar smoker applying his smoke to someone who doesn't like it.  That's rude too.

The horse is out of the barn on the music issue and there is no going back, so I guess I have to be OK with the occasional "catchy" Florida Georgia Line tune when I'd rather hear the sound of club hitting ball and turf, frogs croaking, and the like.

And yes, I am fully aware that every single considerate music-player is on this forum.  Unfortunately what happens on here is not what happens out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

20 minutes ago, sui generis said:

That's just selfish. 🙄

not necessarily. it’s just the reality of being out in public. 

you’re all acting like any music that can be heard is being blared from 12” speakers. 

even if i keep my speaker low, if the course pinches and we end up close to each other on a green and a tee box, it’s likely you’ll hear some music. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

16 hours ago, rzitup said:

I have a speaker on my cart and I enjoy listening to music.  I keep it at a respectable volume, so that I can hear it when I am in my cart, and hitting shots within my group.  This means there are going to be times when others, from adjacent holes and greens/tees, will likely be able to hear the music.  I am not going to apologize for disturbing the chirping of birds when what I am doing is reasonable, allowed and becoming more accepted and the norm every day.

You wouldn't be invited to any of my golf trips unless you used earbuds.  But that's OK as I am sure there are many golfers don't respect other people's space.

I'm thinking about singing "Amazing Grace" or "God Bless America" at the top of my lungs the next time I get paired with somebody with loud music.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, rzitup said:

Comparing a teenager blasting music in his car, to a golfer playing music in his golf cart, are to me, apples and oranges.

I get that the non-music crowd think everyone is blasting music all over the course, but thats not (in my experience) the case.  I have been consistent with my views on this...I play music at a respectable level, and because we are crossing paths, others might hear.  Not stopping, not apologizing.  

I have never met anyone in the "non-music crowd".  Who are those people?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

I have never met anyone in the "non-music crowd".  Who are those people?

It translates to “ the polite -silent majority “.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 5/9/2023 at 5:49 PM, ChipStrokes said:

not necessarily. it’s just the reality of being out in public. 

you’re all acting like any music that can be heard is being blared from 12” speakers. 

even if i keep my speaker low, if the course pinches and we end up close to each other on a green and a tee box, it’s likely you’ll hear some music. 

Or you could turn it way down or off when that happens out of courtesy to the other players... just saying there are options beyond .. oh well they may hear my music... too bad for them.

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

Or you could turn it way down or off when that happens out of courtesy to the other players... just saying there are options beyond .. oh well they may hear my music... to bad for them.

i keep my music as low as possible with me still hearing it while i push my cart.  and i agree with the overarching sentiment that music shouldn’t be blasted from speakers.

but we can go round and round all day with this. 

maybe i’m putting out, or teeing off, or tying my shoe, or i didn’t see the other people driving up…

im just saying that there exists an intersection where music is audible to someone else and the guy playing it isn’t a selfish jerk. 

• Like 1

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

22 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

i keep my music as low as possible with me still hearing it while i push my cart.  and i agree with the overarching sentiment that music shouldn’t be blasted from speakers.

maybe i’m putting out, or teeing off, or tying my shoe, or i didn’t see the other people driving up…

im just saying that there exists an intersection where music is audible to someone else and the guy playing it isn’t a selfish jerk. 

Sure.... unintentional stuff is bound to happen regardless. So... kudos to you for trying to look out for others while still enjoying some music for yourself.

31 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

I honestly don't know anyone who has been upset about that. The issue is those who clearly demonstrate they DON'T consider those around them, and there are many in my experience. 

This is what I don't get, though. I have AirPods. When I'm walking solo, I sometimes use them. Sometimes I'm listening to something that relates to my job; sometimes I'm listening to a message or worship music or a podcast. But they don't impact me. I can use the 'transparency' mode and keep the volume down low enough that I can hear someone shouting a warning or talking to me. They stay in just fine when I swing. 

So why NOT just use earbuds or AirPods or the like? There's simply no need for others to have to listen these days. What's more, when most people are playing their speakers fairly loudly, the whole notion of "it's not safe to wear something in your ears" is debunked anyway, because no one is going to hear someone yell 'fore' 200 yards away when there is a speaker blasting right in front of them or beside them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, IndyArcher said:

So why NOT just use earbuds or AirPods or the like?

i don’t like anything in or on my ears. 

never have, not even in the gym

the only exception is when i’m on a long flight and want to watch a movie. and then i go with a big pair of noise cancelling headphones, which are obviously not the best choice for playing golf. 

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

6 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

I can use the 'transparency' mode and keep the volume down low enough that I can hear someone shouting a warning or talking to me.

this is cool though. i didn’t know airpods had a setting like this. 

Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

10 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

i don’t like anything in or on my ears. 

But isn't that the whole point? You don't prefer things in your ears. Well, some players don't like things in their ears, either--specifically your music (not yours per se, but any). Now I totally believe that you are conscientious of those around you. MANY are absolutely NOT. I really don't care for AirPods/earbuds either, to be honest, but I also know that it's not a "right" for me to subject others to what I like to listen to. I completely understand that for many golf is one of the last bastions of relaxing activity where they can enjoy a sport without a lot of noise. So when I do have other options--even though it's not my personal preference--why would I think it's my place to ruin that experience for them? It's not; and I don't. So I go with plan B when I'm solo and use my AirPods and just play with no music/podcast/recording. 

Just me. Maybe I'm a dying breed. I'm not really a dinosaur, though. Guess I was just brought up to 'consider one another as more important than yourselves...' A concept of antiquity, I suppose. Of course I like classic stuff, too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rzitup said:

I don't want it my way, I want to be able to do what i am allowed to, that's all.  I have yet to play at a golf course that has a "no music" rule.   Therefore, I am going to listen to music.  And you couldn't be more wrong with your projection of me...it's the opposite.  I am all for everyone enjoying their lives and doing the things they want to do.  If that means some inconvenience to me, so be it...look all you want!

... Interesting take since you seem to think YOUR  respectable level means others on an adjacent fairway that prefers to hear the sounds of nature with no music at all don't get to experience the course THEIR way. 

... When I played once our twice a week I preferred no music when playing. But semi retired now and playing 5 days week, I enjoy music with my remote cart but played at a level only I can hear. when walking beside it, and it can't be heard while on the tee box or on the green. One of the main problems with music, aside from respecting those that want none at all, is I don't wanna hear Heavy Metal, Rap or Country and others may not want to hear my 70's Classic Rock. So keeping music at a level only you can hear is the considerate thing to do so everyone can enjoy the course the way they want. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

I may have missed this part, but did the rules refresh make the listening to music legal, or was it made more blurry?

It’s not legal in any play where the rules are enforced.      It absolutely is a swing tempo aide .  And most either know this or subconsciously know this because “ I play better when listening to music “ is what they say.  I too play better when music is on.  But it’s cheating.  And that part won’t leave my mind. 

• Like 4

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 minutes ago, damnisuck said:

I've played music for the past few seasons. I always ask first and give my playing partners the chance pick the genre. The consensus is usually, just no rap.

I guess the problem with asking is a bit like the old smoking debate, do you mind if I smoke? Well yes, but now I look like the dick for not being accommodating. 

I'm old enough now to say no, and old enough to realise regardless of my music taste someone won't like it. 

I mean if you have to have it, go for it. With headphones. But I won't mark your card and I guess there's no need to chat either. In fact, just go on ahead. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1