2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Should Music Be Allowed on the Golf Course?

2 hours ago, rzitup said:

I have no idea what this means, but hope they have good music in one of those books!

A fictional character known for his selfishness dressed up as sophomoric  philosophy. 

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Speaking of smoking, there's only a couple smokers in my usual (large) group and they typically don't smoke while they're playing golf. But there's one guy I don't know who is sometimes sitting outside the clubhouse when we finish our round, chain smoking and knocking back a vodka tonic or three. 

Are there some kind of cigarettes that stink more than others? I swear when he's out there, you can start smelling the smoke when you're walking off the 18th green a good 60 yards away. And even after he leaves, that whole area smells like an ashtray for 10 or 20 minutes. 

It's some crazy bad stuff, whatever it is he smokes. And no, he's not smoking pot, that wouldn't smell half as bad.

13 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Speaking of smoking, there's only a couple smokers in my usual (large) group and they typically don't smoke while they're playing golf. But there's one guy I don't know who is sometimes sitting outside the clubhouse when we finish our round, chain smoking and knocking back a vodka tonic or three. 

Are there some kind of cigarettes that stink more than others? I swear when he's out there, you can start smelling the smoke when you're walking off the 18th green a good 60 yards away. And even after he leaves, that whole area smells like an ashtray for 10 or 20 minutes. 

It's some crazy bad stuff, whatever it is he smokes. And no, he's not smoking pot, that wouldn't smell half as bad.

Yes. Winston's and Lucky Strikes(not sure those even exist now) smell the worst. 

I smoked Marlboro Lights and occasionally Reds when I was in my 20s and my wife tolerated it. The few times I'd bum a Winston from someone she'd threaten I had to quit or find another wife if I was gonna smoke those.  

I'd for sure agree to banning cigarettes and dip/chew/snuff if the courses would ban music. 

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

He should switch to cigars.  They smell wonderful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rzitup said:

I have no idea what this means, but hope they have good music in one of those books!

It's the extreme repetition of personal pronouns in service of a painfully self-focused thought process. You could have written what you said with emphasis the perspective of other people into account, justifying yourself by explaining that you were not inconveniencing other golfers due because they were never forced to hear your music except incidentally, but rather you chose to hammer in the point that it was your personal right to play music.

Edited by blades_are_life
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, blades_are_life said:

You can't seriously be trying to pretend you have never read an Ayn Rand book.

I myself haven't and I've never heard anyone I know refer to or talk about Ayn Rand or her books. The only way I know what you're talking about is from occasionally running across mentions of it online. 

Nine out of ten mentions I've ever seen of Ayn Rand have been joking or derisory. 

22 minutes ago, sui generis said:

You were never a sophomore? 😉

16 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Well yes, but a sophomore geek. My sophomore reading ran more to electronic component data sheets and the writings of JRR Tolkein and Isaac Asimov. 

Oh it was assigned reading for me in senior year AP English. Thankfully I wasn't in Texas so the teacher validated our classes' general revulsion rather than acting like it was a piece of valuable literature.

I'm starting to reverse course on this.   I have zero issues with you doing you as long as it doesn't impact me or those around me., with music IMO this means keep your music at a level where it can be heard around your cart and once you're a few steps out it can't be heard at all.  Lately it seems like guys have been holding rock concerts in their groups for the entire course, or in our last round the guys who had some gangster rap blasting...which was only distracting to me because I find the thought of 4 white guys on a golf course living that thug life to be hysterical and I couldn't stop laughing.   Don't think they appreciate me telling them they look like a bunch of idiots, but the nice part about being a sizable guy with other guys who are big, most won't come back to try anything.

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

It's the extreme repetition of personal pronouns in service of a painfully self-focused thought process. You could have written what you said with emphasis the perspective of other people into account, justifying yourself by explaining that you were not inconveniencing other golfers due because they were never forced to hear your music except incidentally, but rather you chose to hammer in the point that it was your personal right to play music.

Great, so we agree it is my personal right to play music!  Well done lads.  

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, rzitup said:

Great, so we agree it is my personal right to play music!  Well done lads.  

Yeah I mean no one questioned your personal right to play music, from what I can tell any issue only really arose because you did an absolutely terrible job of assuring the audience here that you were actually taking other people into account. You kept saying "reasonable volume" which could of course be interpreted this way but if you sound like an Ayn Rand protagonist that lowers the confidence one has that your definition of reasonable aligns with an actual definition of reasonable.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 2:18 AM, blades_are_life said:

Why….the little people don’t matter to some.😏

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 8/8/2023 at 7:44 AM, blades_are_life said:

Oh it was assigned reading for me in senior year AP English. Thankfully I wasn't in Texas so the teacher validated our classes' general revulsion rather than acting like it was a piece of valuable literature.

I'm not one to report to mods, but how is this not political talk?  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

honestly I'm like 90% sure he's trolling

You don’t know guys that do what he does?

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

8 hours ago, Shilgy said:

You don’t know guys that do what he does?

No I do (not personally I mean, I've observed) but the way he is going about it suggests trying to get a rise. Like he actually hasn't even confirmed he plays the music too loud, he's only insinuated it with the combination of vague language and his tone.

16 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

No I do (not personally I mean, I've observed) but the way he is going about it suggests trying to get a rise. Like he actually hasn't even confirmed he plays the music too loud, he's only insinuated it with the combination of vague language and his tone.

I don't play music too loud.  I play it at a respectable volume, for my cart/group depending on the conditions.  I have been consistent with this throughout.  

The issue is, there is a large contingent of curmudgeons on here that, everything the topic of music comes up, shake their fists at the clouds and scream "NO MUSIC".

Where the line between those two gets blurry, is that I have acknowledged that when I pull up to the green, or the tee box, even at what I deem to be respectable volumes, there is a chance others could hear the music.  And the curmudgeons hate that. I also have said that, if paired with someone else that didn't want music on, I wouldn't turn it off.  I would turn it down, and try to keep it away from him, but I am not going to make my round less enjoyable because of someone else.

It can't be one way or the other.  If music is allowed, I am going to play it and enjoy it.  

• Confused 1

I don't play music too loud.  I play it at a respectable volume, for my cart/group depending on the conditions.  I have been consistent with this throughout.  

The issue is, there is a large contingent of curmudgeons on here that, everything the topic of music comes up, shake their fists at the clouds and scream "NO MUSIC".

Where the line between those two gets blurry, is that I have acknowledged that when I pull up to the green, or the tee box, even at what I deem to be respectable volumes, there is a chance others could hear the music.  And the curmudgeons hate that. I also have said that, if paired with someone else that didn't want music on, I wouldn't turn it off.  I would turn it down, and try to keep it away from him, but I am not going to make my round less enjoyable because of someone else.

It can't be one way or the other.  If music is allowed, I am going to play it and enjoy it.  

And therein lies the problem. If I am on the tee box or the green and you pull up, I shouldn't be able to hear your music; that is not what a vast majority would consider a respectable volume.  

I like to smoke cigars, but I always ask those in my group if they mind; If anyone minds, I don't smoke a cigar that round. How hard is that? 

Believe me, if you play it where I can't hear it I don't mind at all!

But as you say, no need to make YOUR round less enjoyable just because there are a hundred or so other people on the golf course who don't share your need for constant noise. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 12:53 PM, rzitup said:

Yes it is.  There seems to be two sides to this; those that choose to play music on the golf course, because they are allowed to, because they enjoy it.  Those that approach this respectfully, will keep the volume to something they deem respectful.  Unfortunately, even at that level, the other side of this; those that want no music, will complain no matter what.

This is, unfortunately, a grey area with no line to be drawn.  If music is allowed, then to each their own.  You are now entering a golf course that allows music, and you will have to deal with the respectful golfers that play music, and the idiots that blare it.  Golf courses cannot monitor or regulate the volume one plays their music at, its way too subjective.  So, each person gets to define "respectful" and go with it.  

So you are OK if I sing Amazing Grace while you are teeing off?  Got it.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, rzitup said:

Yeah I mean you should turn it off at the green and teeboxes if your playing partners don't want to hear it, not having music playing takes precedence over having music playing and its pretty easy to hit the pause button on your phone screen. The only acceptable incidental noise is short duration passing by.

I don't play music too loud.  I play it at a respectable volume, for my cart/group depending on the conditions.

If you can hear it away from your cart, it's both too loud and not respectable.

I also have said that, if paired with someone else that didn't want music on, I wouldn't turn it off.  I would turn it down, and try to keep it away from him, but I am not going to make my round less enjoyable because of someone else.

No, you're just forcing someone else to have a less enjoyable round. Cool. /s

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

7 hours ago, jacot23 said:

And therein lies the problem. If I am on the tee box or the green and you pull up, I shouldn't be able to hear your music; that is not what a vast majority would consider a respectable volume.  

I like to smoke cigars, but I always ask those in my group if they mind; If anyone minds, I don't smoke a cigar that round. How hard is that? 

And do you extinguish the cigar when you pull up to the tee or find yourself passing near another hole/group? 

8 hours ago, chippa13 said:

And do you extinguish the cigar when you pull up to the tee or find yourself passing near 

No, but I don't actively smoke it when passing and I don't pull up very close to another group on a tee box anyway; don't think a cigar will put out enough smoke by itself to reach a group 20 yards away. Maybe I'm wrong and I should just quit altogether. 

Edited by jacot23