2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Should Music Be Allowed on the Golf Course?

1 hour ago, rzitup said:

Until golf courses ban music this entire debate about music is irrelevant.  Music is here to stay and becoming more popular.  Get used to it, or find a different hobby.

Fortunately, most of us can choose to play golf with people who don't insist on being inconsiderate with their music.

• Like 2

I was curious so I searched and found that in this thread alone what has been deemed to be a considerate volume to play music at has been described as-

1. low
  2. very low
  3. fairly low
  4. sufficiently low
  5. as low as possible

It would seem to me that the inherent subjectivity regarding acceptable volume levels coupled with a general lack of understanding how far sound actually carries across the course in various areas negates ever having the hope that someone else's music will not interfere with someone who is trying to enjoy their own music or will not be heard by someone who doesn't want to hear it at all.

IMO, if someone really wants to be considerate, they not only try to keep it low and then turn it off when on the green or at the tee or they opt to wear an on-ear device that limits the music to one's own ears while not blocking out ambient sounds.  But I am pretty sure neither of those will ever happen.

Edited by Dpavs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Golferpaul said:

Fortunately, most of us can choose to play golf with people who don't insist on being inconsiderate with their music.

*Fortunately, most of us can choose to play golf with people who don't insist on being inconsiderate with their music, but still complain because I can hear someone else's music.  

On 7/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, rzitup said:

*Fortunately, most of us can choose to play golf with people who don't insist on being inconsiderate with their music, but still complain because I can hear someone else's music.  

Ok….so the point you’re making is that that groups music is too loud.  Even if it’s your group.

Thanks for that.   

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

17 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Ok….so the point you’re making is that that groups music is too loud.  Even if it’s your group.

Thanks for that.   

No, my music is never "too loud" even if you end up being able to hear it while I drive by, or you pull up to the tee or green.  I make no apologies for the fact that I am allowed to play music from my cart, at a level that I find acceptable and respectful.  I understand that your version of respectful is to NEVER HEAR THE MUSIC.  I'm sorry that you serene peace in your personal oasis will not be as you thought it would be.

5 minutes ago, rzitup said:

respectful

Thing is, your definition is not the only one that matters.

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Thing is, your definition is not the only one that matters.

Yes it is.  There seems to be two sides to this; those that choose to play music on the golf course, because they are allowed to, because they enjoy it.  Those that approach this respectfully, will keep the volume to something they deem respectful.  Unfortunately, even at that level, the other side of this; those that want no music, will complain no matter what.

This is, unfortunately, a grey area with no line to be drawn.  If music is allowed, then to each their own.  You are now entering a golf course that allows music, and you will have to deal with the respectful golfers that play music, and the idiots that blare it.  Golf courses cannot monitor or regulate the volume one plays their music at, its way too subjective.  So, each person gets to define "respectful" and go with it.  

9 minutes ago, rzitup said:

Yes it is.  There seems to be two sides to this; those that choose to play music on the golf course, because they are allowed to, because they enjoy it.  Those that approach this respectfully, will keep the volume to something they deem respectful.  Unfortunately, even at that level, the other side of this; those that want no music, will complain no matter what.

This is, unfortunately, a grey area with no line to be drawn.  If music is allowed, then to each their own.  You are now entering a golf course that allows music, and you will have to deal with the respectful golfers that play music, and the idiots that blare it.  Golf courses cannot monitor or regulate the volume one plays their music at, its way too subjective.  So, each person gets to define "respectful" and go with it.  

My club says this and it works for us: 

"Music at very low volume is permitted on the course. Very low volume means that the music cannot be heard by any other players on the course." 

So, perhaps you might not want to come here. 😉

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

7 minutes ago, sui generis said:

My club says this and it works for us: 

"Music at very low volume is permitted on the course. Very low volume means that the music cannot be heard by any other players on the course." 

If I came to your club I would follow their rules, as I do everywhere I go.  

I don't mind as long as I cannot hear it from a fairway over. I'll play music sometimes, really depends on the course/layout and usually when I'm solo just to enjoy the round.

I honestly have the volume to where I can't even hear it once I'm like 10-15ft from my pushcart so if I'm teeing off or putting I can't hear it myself most of the time. 

If anyone was to come up to me and say something I'd just turn it off, but at the same time I've been to courses with speakers built into the cart for this very purpose. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, rzitup said:

No. If someone who doesn't want to listen to your music can hear it when they're engaged in their golf (i.e. not if they walk over to your cart), then they'd likely say it's not at a respectable volume.

And they wouldn't be wrong about that, because as I said… everyone gets to have their own definition. Your right to play music doesn't mean you can play it at whatever volume you deem "respectable."

1 hour ago, sui generis said:

That's my definition of a "respectable" volume.

Just put some ear buds in, @rzitup. Then you can play it about as loud as you'd like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. If someone who doesn't want to listen to your music can hear it when they're engaged in their golf (i.e. not if they walk over to your cart), then they'd likely say it's not at a respectable volume.

And they wouldn't be wrong about that, because as I said… everyone gets to have their own definition. Your right to play music doesn't mean you can play it at whatever volume you deem "respectable."

That's my definition of a "respectable" volume.

Just put some ear buds in, @rzitup. Then you can play it about as loud as you'd like.

Someone can say whatever they want to me, but if I think I am playing my music, in my cart, during the round of golf I paid for, at a respectable volume, then I am going to continue to do it.  I really don't care if someone vaguely hears my music as they pull of to their tee, which happens to be near my cart, parked next to the green I am playing.  Therefore, the definition of "respectable" is mine to define.

Thanks for the tip on the ear buds, had never thought of that and no one else has ever mentioned it!  I'll stick with the Bushnell speaker I have, made by a golf company, with a magnet to stick on my golf cart, and also happens to yell out distances for me in between playing music.  

Edited by rzitup

57 minutes ago, HGLucky13 said:

I don't mind if music is played around me, it is the last thing I am worried about when I am trying to make a birdie putt, or land a drive on a tight fairway. I got alot going on in that dome of mine, plus I can block out pretty much anything, ask my wife.

But that paragraph is the epitome of selfish and entitled. 

Cool. I’m usually not into appeasing complete strangers outdated takes to make my enjoyment of golf less enjoyable. 

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, greenlight said:

We only have one rule: if you are in charge of the music, you’d better have the ad-free version of whatever streaming service you are using. 

How about when the phone that's used for streaming gets a call?  Bluetooth speakers ring the phone pretty loud.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I was an anti music guy until a friend in my weekly foursome got one as a gift from one of his kids. Now I kind of like it. He keeps it low so you have to be near the cart to hear it and if we are waiting at a tee box it gets turned down to not bother any other golfers. No complaints so far but he does make the effort to not be annoying. Not all do.

Things got a little more complicated after I attended a cool member guest and speakers were given out in the gift bags. Now everyone has one.

I'm getting the feeling that these things are coming like the tide. It may be happening slowly but you can't stop it.

Plus there is so much ambient noise on a golf course anyway. Between planes flying, carts moving around, maintenance equipment, birds chirping, dogs barking, other golfers yelling, laughing, cursing or cheering its kind of already noisy out there. If your course is near a road there's traffic noise as well so my opinion of music on the course is softening a little. 

On 7/31/2023 at 3:18 PM, rzitup said:

Cool. I’m usually not into appeasing complete strangers outdated takes to make my enjoyment of golf less enjoyable. 

That had nothing to do with you appeasing outdated takes and everything to do with you expressing yourself like the protagonist of an Ayn Rand novel rather than a normal human being.

Edited by blades_are_life
  • Like 4

On 8/3/2023 at 1:41 PM, chippa13 said:

The day smoking is banned on the course I'll accept music being banned on the course. 

Chippa, not sure how you would play the smoking/music tradeoff in Australia, where there is a rule for everything.

On many Queensland courses you are allowed to smoke in the rough or on cart paths but not on tees, fairways and greens.

How they police this stupidity is anyone's guess.

On 4/19/2023 at 5:44 AM, Ahmilla said:

As golf changes and newer generations of golfers are ushered into the sport, I notice more people playing music through a speaker on the golf course. I've seen a lot of heated debate on this topic and I can understand both sides of the argument, but I want to get the general consensus of the group here. Music on the course- Are you a fan?

No

• Thanks 1