2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Should Music Be Allowed on the Golf Course?

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

If courses allow it then that's that but like anything else, it's the buttheads that ruin it for everyone else and where music is concerned most we've encountered have been buttheads.

my experience has largely been the opposite. 

mostly personal speakers kept on players’ bags where i didn’t even know for a few holes that they were playing music. 

there are, of course, exceptions. like the jerk last week who had a cart speaker turned way up and couldn’t seem to keep his ball or his cart on his own fairway. 

while extremely irritating, that’s been the minority for me and i don’t let it ruin my day or my round. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

23 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

So... if I have paid for the round I may fart by my partners, yell any time I want to whom I want, create any kind of nuisance for any player who is close enough, is that it?

I suggest you go back home and grow up.

EDIT: I honestly do not get it!! How is it that you yankees are sooooo inconsiderate on other people??? Over here you would get your a** kicked.

The good news for golf is that it is a sport that has, and is evolving.  Credit Tiger, technology, even the pandemic and whatever else.  The "old stoogy white guy" sport is morphing into something else.  Music being played on the golf course is a part of that.  

Before we know it, all of the "shakes fist at cloud" guys will be gone, and people will wonder how anyone ever played golf without music.  BTW, it doesnt surprise me that the UK is 10 years behind when it comes to music, thats been the general trend for 100 years.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, rzitup said:

Before we know it, all of the "shakes fist at cloud" guys will be gone,

Not a chance, it'll just be the current music proponents who will rail at yet another change to what THEY perceive as "right."  There will always be people who oppose any change.  We all become our parents, in time.  :classic_tongue:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It's the wakeup tune on my (almost never used) phone alarm, but I'm sure I have it set so my wife can't hear it on her side of the bed - I'm considerate of the other player!

There's the key idea.....being considerate to others.  

Edited by DLeightonReid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

Cool new thread topic!

It’s pretty simple. On course music done with some politeness and common sense is fine. 

9 out of 10 on-course music players are rude and without common sense. I don’t want to hear your Florida Georgia Line or his Iron Maiden from the next fairway over.

Naturally, everyone on this forum who plays music on the course never bothers anyone else. Ever!

Unfortunately, what happens here is not what happens out there. 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 4/19/2023 at 12:30 PM, rzitup said:

I've played music on the golf course for over 1,000 rounds over the past 10 years.  You will get a WIDE range of views on this, but my philosophy is...I paid to play golf, I enjoy music, I am going to play it.  Volume and type of music are dependent on the group I am playing with.  I have never once had an issue with this approach.  

I’m not big on music on the golf course. I do understand that you paid to play and I’m sure your mindful that some people don’t like it.   I’ve seen younger people with headphones and I think that’s an option also.  

On 4/20/2023 at 9:04 PM, bobfoster said:

Golf has always been my respite - from work, from politics, from weird modern culture. These stolen moments of peace and tranquility. With blue skies and green grass and a leisurely pace. And polite people. That is sadly disappearing. 

My opinion? If you are a Millennial or GenZ and want to blast music into your head? Two words: Ear buds. Don't blast your idiotic music on a boom box so three surrounding holes have to put up with it, pipe it into your own brain. As loud as you want. The technology is there for you to have what you want, and for me to have what I want. So long as you have an ounce of courtesy. 

Its definitely not just a millennial or gen z thing. I've been around 50-60 year olds blasting their rock music up and down the course also. So just people in general. Id hate to just put it on a certain group when its all.

Also to add to music playing on course. Its funny how some will complain about music blasting when its not their kind of music. But when their type of music is blasting no complaints. I experienced that yesterday during a league tournament. So I thought it was funny and thought about this thread.

Edited by I'_rather_be_golfing
  • Like 1

if people started using earbuds on the course, there would be a dozen threads on here complaining about how no one wants to make conversation during a round of golf anymore because they’re all consumed with listening to their music on their earbuds. 

🙄🙄🙄

Edited by ChipStrokes

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

2 hours ago, ChipStrokes said:

if people started using earbuds on the course, there would be a dozen threads on here complaining about how no one wants to make conversation during a round of golf anymore because they’re all consumed with listening to their music on their earbuds. 

🙄🙄🙄

You would be right. 

A little off topic. I walk my dog in my local park. I always listen to music through my earbuds while walking my dog. This women last week caught my attention and motioned to me to remove my earbuds. I removed my earbuds and asked her if I could help her. She said I was being rude and unsociable wearing my earbuds in the park. I said women I am not here to make conversation with people. I am here to enjoy the park,enjoy walking my dog, and to enjoy my music.

• Like 2

Here's the real question, if a golfer is playing music on the course, but you don't hear it, are they playing music?

Just keep it down if you are around others that aren't in your group. It's pretty simple stuff.

• Thanks 1

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

7 hours ago, Greenie said:

You would be right. 

A little off topic. I walk my dog in my local park. I always listen to music through my earbuds while walking my dog. This women last week caught my attention and motioned to me to remove my earbuds. I removed my earbuds and asked her if I could help her. She said I was being rude and unsociable wearing my earbuds in the park. I said women I am not here to make conversation with people. I am here to enjoy the park,enjoy walking my dog, and to enjoy my music.

While there may be some chatter/complaining about any changes, that is a total non-sequitur. There is a complete and utter difference between choosing to not communicate with others vs insisting that others hear your form of entertainment while they play their game. One can be explained through introverted or anti-social behavior. The other is simply selfish and self-centered. I see people wearing earbuds on the course all the time. I’ve done it on occasion when playing solo. I would never even dream to think that everyone around me should listen to my music. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Its definitely not just a millennial or gen z thing. I've been around 50-60 year olds blasting their rock music up and down the course also. So just people in general. Id hate to just put it on a certain group when its all.

It may not ‘just’ be a millennial or gen z thing, but let’s face it, it clearly is predominantly. Not saying it’s right, wrong or indifferent, but it is what it is. Personally, I’ve yet to see anyone over 40 blaring music over speakers at a course that others have to bear with. I’ve seen it dozens of times with people in their 20’s/30’s. It’s just a fact. It may not be exclusive, but it is the norm. 

• Like 1

I prefer no music on the course.  If courses permit it, the music should only be audible (reasonably audible as some sound waves will carry through the air) to those in the respective cart.  Preferably, earbuds, etc would be used so the music is only audible to the person playing the music.  However, at not time should the presence of earbuds, headphones, etc hinder the listening persons awareness of their surroundings.  The volume should allow the person to be completely attentive. They shouldn't have their music so loud they cant's hear other players hollering "fore" or other players trying to get their attention regarding a forgotten club  (forgotten wedge on the previous green), conversations regarding playing through, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

It may not ‘just’ be a millennial or gen z thing, but let’s face it, it clearly is predominantly. Not saying it’s right, wrong or indifferent, but it is what it is. Personally, I’ve yet to see anyone over 40 blaring music over speakers at a course that others have to bear with. I’ve seen it dozens of times with people in their 20’s/30’s. It’s just a fact. It may not be exclusive, but it is the norm. 

Whether it’s less of the older guys or more of younger guys makes zero difference. It’s still people blasting loud music. It’s about people blasting music. I’m in my mid 40’s fyi. 

I prefer no music on the course.  I also don't drink or smoke weed on the course.  Golf is such a wonderful thing on it's own that any outside vice lessens the experience for me.

Whenever I hear loud music from another tee box or fairway I figure it's what I get for blasting AC/DC and Ozzy from my car while smoking weed when I was a teenager.  It all comes around eventually.

I mostly hear music on the course coming from those 60+.  It's usually music I like.  I just don't want to hear it on the course.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

On 4/23/2023 at 11:21 AM, Greenie said:

You would be right. 

She doesn't know sign language for "you're number one"?  Make it educational for those that you can't hear!

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2023 at 11:44 PM, Ahmilla said:

As golf changes and newer generations of golfers are ushered into the sport, I notice more people playing music through a speaker on the golf course. I've seen a lot of heated debate on this topic and I can understand both sides of the argument, but I want to get the general consensus of the group here. Music on the course- Are you a fan?

NO!  I'm OK with earbuds but I don't want to hear your music.  I prefer to listen to nature.

• Like 1