2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Should Music Be Allowed on the Golf Course?

2 minutes ago, kiwigolf72 said:

surely if you are the person who is adding something different to a situation (music), then you must realize that other people might not want to listen to it? I don't understand how you somehow get offended when they ask you to turn it off.

And that’s the thing. If someone in my group was bothered by it I’d turn it off. I’m also good at turning the volume down if we’re around others. If you can hear my music quietly playing for the one minute our paths cross, sorry not sorry? Do you get angry if you’re out on a peaceful Sunday drive and you can hear someone else’s car stereo? 

I realize this is about as polarizing as jeans on the golf course and somewhere judge Smails is clutching his pearls. I guess I’m in the camp where I’m not easily bothered by what others are doing? 

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Just now, radiman said:

And that’s the thing. If someone in my group was bothered by it I’d turn it off. I’m also good at turning the volume down if we’re around others. If you can hear my music quietly playing for the one minute our paths cross, sorry not sorry? Do you get angry if you’re out on a peaceful Sunday drive and you can hear someone else’s car stereo? 

I realize this is about as polarizing as jeans on the golf course and somewhere judge Smails is clutching his pearls. I guess I’m in the camp where I’m not easily bothered by what others are doing? 

personally if we are not playing together your music on another fairway or when we cross paths doesn't worry me at all, if we are in the same group and I have to listen to it all day then it probably will.

36 minutes ago, kiwigolf72 said:

personally if we are not playing together your music on another fairway or when we cross paths doesn't worry me at all, if we are in the same group and I have to listen to it all day then it probably will.

I think that's about as fair as we can get.

Most of us have regular groups/ partners etc. If your group listens to music it's fine IMO. Like said above crossing paths whatever. Now if your a single joining a group and start playing against the other 3 peoples wishes you're in the wrong IMO. 

FYI I am a music on course guy. 

2 minutes ago, Warrior42111 said:

I think that's about as fair as we can get.

Most of us have regular groups/ partners etc. If your group listens to music it's fine IMO. Like said above crossing paths whatever. Now if your a single joining a group and start playing against the other 3 peoples wishes you're in the wrong IMO. 

FYI I am a music on course guy. 

if I'm a single I wouldn't join a group that has music playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kiwigolf72 said:

And I would be mindful of that. If you said you’d rather not have it on I wouldn’t have it on and it would still be an enjoyable round. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

6 hours ago, kiwigolf72 said:

surely if you are the person who is adding something different to a situation (music), then you must realize that other people might not want to listen to it? I don't understand how you somehow get offended when they ask you to turn it off.

Surely if someone asks you to do something that is not only allowed, but fairly common, you dont just listen to that person and do it, do you?

On 9/28/2023 at 10:34 AM, Greenie said:

First I'd want to say I am against music on the course. If people would keep it low then this debate wouldn't be going on but we all know that keeping the volume low isn't the case out on the course for many people playing their music. 

I have the Bushnell Wingman I use for getting yardages while playing so I do have the ability to play music. Yesterday my foursome were the first group out. We play fairly fast and by the time we finished the front nine we were two holes ahead of the group behind us. The back nine goes through the woods and is secluded. One of the guys asked me on the back nine why I had a speaker if I didn't play music on it. So I said does everyone want to listen to some music. No one replied so I asked each person individually if they had a problem with me putting some music on and everyone said go for it. I turned it on. One of the guys in the other cart said could you turn it down a bit. So I did. We pull up to the tee box on the next hole and you could hear the music while we were on the tee box. The other guy from the other cart said could you turn it down a bit more I can hear it while I am on the tee box. So I did. We tee off and ride down the cart path. I get out of the cart and walk  to my ball in the fairway. When I get back to the cart I think there is something wrong with my speaker. I can faintly hear something coming out of the speaker but I can't make it out. I am fooling with my phone when the guy I am riding with gets back to the cart and he asks me what is wrong. I said the speaker isn't working right. He replies oh I turned it down a bit it was still a little loud. At this point I turned it off. 

I guess when someone says they don't have a problem with you playing music they mean as long as they don't have to hear it too. Including the person you are sharing the cart with.

Asking if they want to hear your music puts them in an awkward position.  I think you should assume that other people don't want to hear your music.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rd1959 said:

I've never understood why so many people have to have music playing every minute of the day. I like music just as much as the next guy, but not every single minute. I don't buy into the argument that music helps you concentrate better either.

I've never understood how people dont understand and appreciate, that everyone is different.  Some people actually never listen to music at all, some people want to have it on 24 hours a day.  It's amazing that so many people are unique, and dont think like you, isnt it?

4 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Asking if they want to hear your music puts them in an awkward position.  I think you should assume that other people don't want to hear your music.

Actually I do assume that other people don't want to hear my music.  The only reason I asked and turned it on was because the conversation was brought up why I had a speaker but didn't play music through it. After I explained why I bought the Bushnell Wingman which didn't have anything to do with playing music on the golf course one of the guys showed interest in having me play some music through it. He suggested it so I felt the right thing to do was to ask each person in the group. Maybe it put them in an awkward position but these are guys I have been playing with a long time and we never seem to have a problem expressing ourselves. I did find this situation a bit funny how it played out.

8 hours ago, st1800e said:

This entire thread reminds me of the long ago days when someone would ask:

“Do you mind if I smoke?”   

So if I understand this then what you are saying is that people who play music despite knowing it may well bother others should just play their music down wind? 🙃

• Haha 3

On 9/29/2023 at 4:29 PM, rd1959 said:

I've never understood why so many people have to have music playing every minute of the day. I like music just as much as the next guy, but not every single minute. I don't buy into the argument that music helps you concentrate better either.

If that is the argument someone has for music, does that not make the music against Rule 4.3a (4) (ie. eliminate distractions)

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2023 at 5:58 PM, rzitup said:

Surely if someone asks you to do something that is not only allowed, but fairly common, you dont just listen to that person and do it, do you?

1. It is not fairly common. 

2.It is only allowed in a limited set of circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2bGood said:

If that is the argument someone has for music, does that not make the music against Rule 4.3a (4) (ie. eliminate distractions)

Well yeah…but they’ll talk all the time about how it helps them get better rhythm on the course but when called out on it will lie and say they just play for enjoyment. 🤯

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

so yesterday, pulled up behind a slow group on the next tee.  Music blaring, we go to putt and the music stops and an AD comes on, not a playlist they're playing but a RADIO station withs ads, news, traffic reports and a DJ or whatever the person is who babbles between songs...

Music is one thing, but news, traffic reports and other chatter?  

Edited by st1800e
  • Confused 1

On 10/1/2023 at 7:56 AM, 2bGood said:

1. It is not fairly common. 

2.It is only allowed in a limited set of circumstances. 

1. Where I play most of my golf, it is (probably more than fairly) common.

2. This year I will play about 150 rounds of casual golf (for money), and about 30 rounds of competitive tournament golf (member/member, member/guest, SCGA team play, etc.). It is allowed in ALL of those.  So in my world, it is allowed in ALL circumstances.  I have yet to travel to any place or play any place that is was prohibited.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rzitup said:

2. This year I will play about 150 rounds of casual golf (for money), and about 30 rounds of competitive tournament golf (member/member, member/guest, SCGA team play, etc.). It is allowed in ALL of those.  So in my world, it is allowed in ALL circumstances.  I have yet to travel to any place or play any place that is was prohibited.

1. That is still rarity in the golf world, even if you happen to live in place it is common.

2. If music is allowed in every circumstance, in every event you play, then none of those events must be under the rules of golf as the rules clearly limit the circumstances music can be played in.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 11:09 AM, sui generis said:

Your trolling is getting old. 🙄

I was thinking about replying to his comment but what he said sounded so hippieish I knew whatever I said would just go in one ear and out the other. I dealt with too many people that had the same mindset back in the 60s. It wasn't enjoyable then and it's not enjoyable now.

2 hours ago, rzitup said:

You choose your words carefully. That's a good thing. But you also (intentionally ?) leave out points/facts that may negate your own arguments/observations.

So let me ask you then,,,,,,,

Has anybody asked you to turn it down (or off); most especially in the "competitive tournament" rounds ? If so, what did you do ? If not, perhaps they're simply unaware of their own rights under the ROG (which sadly is VERY common) ?

But "your world", isn't everybody else's world, and has nothing to do with it.

Playing music is allowed by the ROG in everybody's world - with certain restrictions.

What the ROG do NOT allow you to do is distract other players.

And if you do not comply there are repercussions for your (non-)actions. 

You're very likely getting away with it simply because other players competing against you don't know any better.

Let your conscience, whatever there is of it, be your guide - even though we already know it doesn't matter to you.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

You choose your words carefully. That's a good thing. But you also (intentionally ?) leave out points/facts that may negate your own arguments/observations.

Has anybody asked you to turn it down (or off); most especially in the "competitive tournament" rounds ? If so, what did you do ? If not, perhaps they're simply unaware of their own rights under the ROG (which sadly is VERY common) ?

Playing music is allowed by the ROG in everybody's world - with certain restrictions.

You're very likely getting away with it simply because other players competing against you don't know any better.

Let your conscience, whatever there is of it, be your guide - even though we already know it doesn't matter to you.

You had me going for a bit there….until you mentioned him having a conscience

edited to add to your post.  It is the determination of those being distracted…not the music player…that determines whether or not the music is playing at a respectable level. .  🙉

Edited by Shilgy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Round and round it goes.  I apologize in advance if my music bothers you on the golf course, lets leave it at that. 

And yes, my conscience obviously matters to me, its your view of my conscience that does not.  

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, 2bGood said:

1. That is still rarity in the golf world, even if you happen to live in place it is common.

2. If music is allowed in every circumstance, in every event you play, then none of those events must be under the rules of golf as the rules clearly limit the circumstances music can be played in.

I'd be careful saying "none of those events" when the rules only "limit" the circumstances but do not strictly forbid it.

It always comes back to this -

USGA Rules FAQs 2019
Making a Stroke
Playing Music During Stroke

Q. May I play music?

A. Yes. However, you may not do so if the purpose is to eliminate distractions or help you with your swing. You should also show consideration to others (see Rule 4.3a(4) and Rule 1.2).

Quite frankly I think it's pathetic that the USGA has chosen to tap dance around the issue. Take 1.2 for example, I mean seriously, how can you not know that you are going to bother someone by playing music through a speaker? Even under 4.3a(4) I find it hard to believe that anyone who is listening to music while playing can honestly say that they are not benefiting on some level with tempo or that it is eliminating distractions (other ambient sounds for example). It's just absurd IMO. <end of rant..lol>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

I'd be careful saying "none of those events" when the rules only "limit" the circumstances but do not strictly forbid it.

The reply my post was too claimed that music was "allowed in ALL circumstances" for the events they played.

This is not possible as the rules clearly articulate circumstances where music is not allowed.