2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Srixon ZX7 vs. ZX7 MKII Irons

HackerDad78

Fellow WRXers - 

Has anyone been playing (and in as deep a rapturous love affair) with their ZX7s that they've re-upped on the new MKII release? 

There are literally not enough good things I can say about my experience with the first gen ZX7s. I've played just about everything under the sun, but had consistently been a Mizuno irons guy over the years.  After trying the ZX7s on a whim at a local shop when they received a set in trade, I was hooked.  From performance and feel, to aesthetics this club has exceeded expectations. 

So that begs the question: Are the MKII irons better and/or worth the upgrade?? 

Who's playing them? Do you love them as much as the originals, assuming you graduated from them? What are the main differences you've experienced? 

Would LOVE to hear your experience! 

After finally getting my irons dialed in I can't imagine leaving them for the mere opportunity of a very incremental improvement. 

The original ZX7 was an incredibly popular product for Srixon so you can bet they were conscious of not messing with the formula too much. Logic dictates that there's only so much you can change about a one-piece forged iron anyway. So assuming they didn't want to make too big a change, and understanding that making a huge change would be physically impractical, it's safe to assume that most players who love the original product should continue to enjoy them and not be tempted by the very slightly revised version. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

After finally getting my irons dialed in I can't imagine leaving them for the mere opportunity of a very incremental improvement. 

The original ZX7 was an incredibly popular product for Srixon so you can bet they were conscious of not messing with the formula too much. Logic dictates that there's only so much you can change about a one-piece forged iron anyway. So assuming they didn't want to make too big a change, and understanding that making a huge change would be physically impractical, it's safe to assume that most players who love the original product should continue to enjoy them and not be tempted by the very slightly revised version. 

Totally fair, and I don't intend to part with mine anytime soon.  I was actually going to build a second set to keep on the east coast when I go visit family, so was toying with the idea of getting the MKIIs to use as my regular gamers, and keeping the gen 1s to use as described. 

I can't imagine there's a ton of difference as you note, but was just curious to see if any WRXers had played the new ones in comparison to the old... 

• Like 1

I just got a set of ZX7 MKII irons in the same 5-P as my current ZX7 because of the deal I got them for.  I didn't need them at all, but I ordered them with the $ Taper 120s, along with the new 23* ZX Utility with the $ Taper as well. The new ZX7s are in the closet because of how much I like my current ZX7 irons with AMT White s300 shafts in them.  

I took the Utility to the range immediately and really liked the way the $ Taper felt.  Ball got up in the air very quickly and it's a really good ball flight.  I liked it so much that I'm considering trying out the full set with the $ Taper.  

I'll have to contemplate that a little while because of how well I'm hitting my irons right now, but visually, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 2 models.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

3 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

I just got a set of ZX7 MKII irons in the same 5-P as my current ZX7 because of the deal I got them for.  I didn't need them at all, but I ordered them with the $ Taper 120s, along with the new 23* ZX Utility with the $ Taper as well. The new ZX7s are in the closet because of how much I like my current ZX7 irons with AMT White s300 shafts in them.  

I took the Utility to the range immediately and really liked the way the $ Taper felt.  Ball got up in the air very quickly and it's a really good ball flight.  I liked it so much that I'm considering trying out the full set with the $ Taper.  

I'll have to contemplate that a little while because of how well I'm hitting my irons right now, but visually, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 2 models.  

Awesome, thanks for the info.  I'm in the same boat in so far as I have a line into a screaming deal on the new ones and thought, "why not," for what it would cost in comparison to what a new or slightly used set of gen 1s would cost. 

I'm playing C-Taper Lite in mine and that combo has been just amazing for me. I do love the $-Tapers too.  I have those in a set of 770s and like them a whole lot as well. 

I just ordered a back up set with the new version, getting them with the ventus axiom shafts. 

I absolutely love my zx7’s but after a couple delays or ‘lost clubs’ while traveling I had to get a backup set. I haven’t hit them yet but srixon’s model is incremental changes so I’m optimistic they will be just fine. Hopefully get them early next month for a review!

• Like 1

I think they did a good job of making those labels pretty damn understated!  At least they don't say TUNGSTEN all over the place!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Titleist BV SM9 54*S, 60*S| TT DG S200
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I have had both.  Just get the proper shaft and the OG will be just fine.  I had the PX 5.5 in the 1st gen ZX7 and now I have the MKii with the Modus 120x.  The modus is just a better shaft for me so the overall feel of the MKii is better for me than the MKi.  Looks wise, I kind of prefer the slightly sharper toe of the MKi, but there isn't enough to notice huge differences honestly.  Sold my MKi in favor of the MKii, but both are highly underrated and should be at the top of every list IMO.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX7 mkii 9.5 HZRDUS rdx red 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Srixon ZX5 mkii 3, ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

I've had both and have the MKII currently.  Only thing I notice is that the MKII spin a little bit more which leads to slightly better consistency.

I think they feel softer as well, but that could also be because I went from PX 6.5s to $-Taper 130.

Do I think they are worth the upgrade if you have the OGs?  Probably not.  Do I love them?  Absolutely.

I've hit both, very similar can't tell much difference.  Supposedly MKII spin a touch more due to tour feedback that the MKI's could get a touch "hot" occasionally and result in some jumpy shots.  Both excellent and if I were in one or the other I wouldn't sweat it - definitely not worth spending real money to move in either direction.

All that said - I still can't get my OG 745's out of the bag, I'll play those until they wear out!

• Like 3

On 4/20/2023 at 4:29 PM, HackerDad78 said:

Awesome, thanks for the info.  I'm in the same boat in so far as I have a line into a screaming deal on the new ones and thought, "why not," for what it would cost in comparison to what a new or slightly used set of gen 1s would cost. 

I'm playing C-Taper Lite in mine and that combo has been just amazing for me. I do love the $-Tapers too.  I have those in a set of 770s and like them a whole lot as well. 

I decided to take my 5 & 7 irons, along with my PW of the MKII to the range this weekend to compare my current irons with the AMT White s300 shafts.  Turf interaction wasn't much different.  The newer model felt better thru the turf, but I think that was due to the feel of the $ Taper compared to the AMT Whites. 

I just liked the ball flight of the $ Taper better in the 5 & 7 irons more.  I decided to throw new grips on the MKII because of that and I'm going to play them for a few rounds.  Lofts and lie angles are now where I need them, so it'll be a good comparison over the next few weeks.  The adjustment will be in the 8-P in the set because those shafts are lighter than what I'm used to.  Lead tape helped me a bit with the feel a bit after 1 range session with them.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

2 hours ago, jah7838 said:

I decided to take my 5 & 7 irons, along with my PW of the MKII to the range this weekend to compare my current irons with the AMT White s300 shafts.  Turf interaction wasn't much different.  The newer model felt better thru the turf, but I think that was due to the feel of the $ Taper compared to the AMT Whites. 

I just liked the ball flight of the $ Taper better in the 5 & 7 irons more.  I decided to throw new grips on the MKII because of that and I'm going to play them for a few rounds.  Lofts and lie angles are now where I need them, so it'll be a good comparison over the next few weeks.  The adjustment will be in the 8-P in the set because those shafts are lighter than what I'm used to.  Lead tape helped me a bit with the feel a bit after 1 range session with them.  

Awesome! I think for the deal I have access to, I'm likely going to scoop them up.  I've never been so pleasantly surprised by a brand I hadn't considered previously! Just goes to show, I need to get out of my brand comfort zones when in the market for new toys! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pjc said:

Don't know if I've ever heard of someone discounting an iron around these parts for feeling too soft!?

I completely understand Dayvei214’s perspective. Heel shots, to any degree, even extreme mis hit almost feel softer than center impact. 

I previously played MP18 SC’s and the impact feeling was a true representation of impact position on the face. 

I’m not sold on these yet but I made a stiffer flex shaft change that I am still working towards figuring out before I can say out certainty if these are better than my old mizunos from a proximity to hole standpoint. 

33 minutes ago, FSUgolfer said:

I completely understand Dayvei214’s perspective. Heel shots, to any degree, even extreme mis hit almost feel softer than center impact. 

I previously played MP18 SC’s and the impact feeling was a true representation of impact position on the face. 

I’m not sold on these yet but I made a stiffer flex shaft change that I am still working towards figuring out before I can say out certainty if these are better than my old mizunos from a proximity to hole standpoint. 

I understand your explanation, as weird as it sounds, but that's not what was said originally, so I thought it was odd.

"Irons felt Good but a little too soft for my liking."

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Titleist BV SM9 54*S, 60*S| TT DG S200
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Currently playing the mki and tested the mkii and I could not tell a difference.  Like mentioned above, the toe is a little more round on the mkii, but that’s nitpicking.  Hardly noticeable after hitting 5 shots.

Never had issues with any jumpers.  I think they might spin a little less indoors off mats, but no problems at all spinning the ball or getting it to stop quickly when actually playing outside.

• Like 2

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

On 4/20/2023 at 12:41 PM, HackerDad78 said:

Fellow WRXers - 

Has anyone been playing (and in as deep a rapturous love affair) with their ZX7s that they've re-upped on the new MKII release? 

There are literally not enough good things I can say about my experience with the first gen ZX7s. I've played just about everything under the sun, but had consistently been a Mizuno irons guy over the years.  After trying the ZX7s on a whim at a local shop when they received a set in trade, I was hooked.  From performance and feel, to aesthetics this club has exceeded expectations. 

So that begs the question: Are the MKII irons better and/or worth the upgrade?? 

Who's playing them? Do you love them as much as the originals, assuming you graduated from them? What are the main differences you've experienced? 

Would LOVE to hear your experience! 

if you love the originals so much then why are you looking around? I know because we cant help ourselves, thank god for golf wrx

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

22 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

if you love the originals so much then why are you looking around? I know because we cant help ourselves, thank god for golf wrx

The main driver was wanting to have a second set, and with access to a discount on new ones I was debating between a used set of gen 1, or a new set of gen 2 for about the same as used sets are going. Going new also meant spec'd exactly as I wanted and not having to potentially re-shaft, bend, re-grip etc. 

I pulled the trigger on MKIIs last week so I'm anxiously awaiting them... 

• Like 1

I had my first 2 rounds with the MKII this past week.  Thursday's round was terrible off the tee because I couldn't get loose, but I hit the irons pretty well and ended up shooting 93 because of my issues off the tee.  I was that bad. 

Yesterday was much better off the tee, and I was hitting my irons really well with the $ Taper.  Shot a 77 while hitting 11/14 fairways and 10/18 greens.  3 birdies on the front and a couple of bogeys lead to a 35.  Back 9 started double-triple, but played the last 7 holes at +1.  Even par on 16 holes and +5 on 2 is annoying, but that's golf.  Lol

The turf interaction between the original ZX7 and the MKII is pretty much the same.  The biggest difference was the switch in shafts from the AMT White to the $ Taper.  The shaft seems to fit me better, and I wasn't expecting it.  You really can't go wrong with either iteration of the heads.  

WITB

4 hours ago, HackerDad78 said:

The main driver was wanting to have a second set, and with access to a discount on new ones I was debating between a used set of gen 1, or a new set of gen 2 for about the same as used sets are going. Going new also meant spec'd exactly as I wanted and not having to potentially re-shaft, bend, re-grip etc. 

I pulled the trigger on MKIIs last week so I'm anxiously awaiting them... 

i loved my 765 irons so much and said i would never sell them, until the next generation came out and so on and so forth, I cant help myself. Honestly I think they are all great and I would be happy with any of them, Srixon irons are just that good in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 5/1/2023 at 11:57 AM, jah7838 said:

I had my first 2 rounds with the MKII this past week.  Thursday's round was terrible off the tee because I couldn't get loose, but I hit the irons pretty well and ended up shooting 93 because of my issues off the tee.  I was that bad. 

Yesterday was much better off the tee, and I was hitting my irons really well with the $ Taper.  Shot a 77 while hitting 11/14 fairways and 10/18 greens.  3 birdies on the front and a couple of bogeys lead to a 35.  Back 9 started double-triple, but played the last 7 holes at +1.  Even par on 16 holes and +5 on 2 is annoying, but that's golf.  Lol

The turf interaction between the original ZX7 and the MKII is pretty much the same.  The biggest difference was the switch in shafts from the AMT White to the $ Taper.  The shaft seems to fit me better, and I wasn't expecting it.  You really can't go wrong with either iteration of the heads.  

That's awesome to hear.  And believe me, I feel those same woes off the tee box! Just got my MKII.  Haven't hit them yet, but looking to put them head to head on a launch monitor if time permits this weekend.  I stuck with the same set up I had in the gen 1, though, since I've loved it so much. 

On 5/1/2023 at 2:29 PM, ob1soccer said:

i loved my 765 irons so much and said i would never sell them, until the next generation came out and so on and so forth, I cant help myself. Honestly I think they are all great and I would be happy with any of them, Srixon irons are just that good in my opinion. 

Yeah, it's actually shameful how long I held out on trying them!! They clearly make great stuff. It will be hard to get me out of ZX series going forward. They feel as good or better than anything out there, look fantastic, and for their profile are pretty damn forgiving on top of it all. They've done an amazing job. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, HackerDad78 said:

That's awesome to hear.  And believe me, I feel those same woes off the tee box! Just got my MKII.  Haven't hit them yet, but looking to put them head to head on a launch monitor if time permits this weekend.  I stuck with the same set up I had in the gen 1, though, since I've loved it so much. 

I honestly only went with the $ Taper because the AMT White wasn't an option for me to order, and the 120 weight is about what I wanted in the longer irons.  I was fine keeping the AMT White as my shafts if they were an option.  I haven't noticed a needed adjustment in distances yet, but I was making what felt like the same swings for distances, and they were going the distances I expected them too.  I think you'll like the new ones.  

WITB

4 hours ago, jah7838 said:

I honestly only went with the $ Taper because the AMT White wasn't an option for me to order, and the 120 weight is about what I wanted in the longer irons.  I was fine keeping the AMT White as my shafts if they were an option.  I haven't noticed a needed adjustment in distances yet, but I was making what felt like the same swings for distances, and they were going the distances I expected them too.  I think you'll like the new ones.  

Awesome, can't wait to give them a spin this weekend!