Srixon ZX7 vs. ZX7 MKII Irons

HackerDad78

More spin and more spin consistency from the new ZX7’s I’d say

I hit like 10 balls with the new 7 iron and all spun within a pretty tight window despite varying strike locations

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

On 4/24/2023 at 9:59 AM, manima1 said:

All that said - I still can't get my OG 745's out of the bag, I'll play those until they wear out!

Likewise! My 745s are still in the bag and when they wear out I'm going to get them refurbished. I'm also looking for a backup set.

Sure, there are longer and more forgiving irons out there but for all-round performance and feel, the 745s do everything a golf club should. 

The size and head shaping are also just about perfect. 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:15 PM, toastinato said:

I found the mkii zx7 to look much thicker than the OG. I sold them because of it. I didn't love it but I loved the feel. Anyone feel the same? Also, how is turf interaction? 

I have both and don't think there is that much difference between the 2.  I held them up side by side last night after reading this comment, and if the MKII is thicker, it's barely noticeable to my eye.  

Turf interaction is great.  No complaints at all about them.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

1 minute ago, jah7838 said:

I have both and don't think there is that much difference between the 2.  I held them up side by side last night after reading this comment, and if the MKII is thicker, it's barely noticeable to my eye.  

Turf interaction is great.  No complaints at all about them.  

Thanks for the response. You know what, it very well could've just been me thinking so because I didn't have the OG since last year. I spent most of my winter hitting blades and CBS and then got the mkii and they just were too big for me. Over here in NJ in the summer when the ground gets hard pan the bigger soles start to bounce off the ground. Which is what I noticed a bit with OG and my i210. I'm gaming i230 with a combo blueprints in hopes the BP counter that 

3 minutes ago, toastinato said:

Thanks for the response. You know what, it very well could've just been me thinking so because I didn't have the OG since last year. I spent most of my winter hitting blades and CBS and then got the mkii and they just were too big for me. Over here in NJ in the summer when the ground gets hard pan the bigger soles start to bounce off the ground. Which is what I noticed a bit with OG and my i210. I'm gaming i230 with a combo blueprints in hopes the BP counter that 

They're going to look a lot thicker than a blade, but they're not as thick looking as SGI clubs.  My last few sets of irons have been the Cobra Fly Z+, Hogan PTx Pros, ZX7, and now the MKII ZX7.  The Hogan and Srixon sets have had the thickest toplines, and the Fly Z+ was the thinnest, but the Hogan and Srixon irons were easier to flight down than the Fly Z+ irons.  

I live in North Texas, and we get quite a bit of hard pan lies, even after rains.  I never had issues with the original ZX7 irons or even the Hogan PTx Pros.  The V Sole was fine for me when I committed to a swing on the hard pan lies.  Bad shots come from me overthinking it and not trusting my swing.  My lowest rounds of golf have all been with irons that had the V Sole, and were in the summer.  

• Like 2

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

After playing the 785's for a year, the ZX7 came out. I tried those, sold them, went back to the 785. Fast forward to this year. The ZX's MK2 is released and I buy a set.  Same specs and shaft as 785, Modus 120. For some reason that I can't put my finger on, I feel I'm still preferring the 785 and will probably ditch the MK2. Anyone else doing the same?

Edited by gscott7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gscott7 said:

After playing the 785's for a year, the ZX7 came out. I tried those, sold them, went back to the 785. Faster forward to this year. The ZX's MK2 is released and I buy a set.  Same specs and shaft as 785, Modus 120. For some reason that I can't put my finger on, I feel I'm still preferring the 785 and will probably ditch the MK2. Anyone else doing the same?

I too have the 785s and love them, this would have been season 4 with them.   Bought the ZX7 IIs and put them in play this year, liked the look and have turned into a big Srixon fan.    Same specs, 2° upright and +1/4” with PX LZ 6.5s.  Feel is good but I’m hitting them high and seemingly spinny in the short irons.  It’s very odd, I’m a good club shorter with these than the 785s.  I’m going to give them a bit longer but I’m seriously considering putting the 785s back in the bag.  I can barely get the PW to go 115 and my 9i barely 130.  Strike seems to be good too, ball mark dead center.  Idk it’s got me baffled. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, Bigjim1022 said:

I too have the 785s and love them, this would have been season 4 with them.   Bought the ZX7 IIs and put them in play this year, liked the look and have turned into a big Srixon fan.    Same specs, 2° upright and +1/4” with PX LZ 6.5s.  Feel is good but I’m hitting them high and seemingly spinny in the short irons.  It’s very odd, I’m a good club shorter with these than the 785s.  I’m going to give them a bit longer but I’m seriously considering putting the 785s back in the bag.  I can barely get the PW to go 115 and my 9i barely 130.  Strike seems to be good too, ball mark dead center.  Idk it’s got me baffled. 

Might be the grooves? The new ones have fresher grooves and maybe you have got accustomed to your old set. But anyway, keep the set that work for you

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9*  Fujikura ventus black 6X

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 718 cb 3i Project X LZ 6.0

Mizuno Mizuno Pro 118 5i-PW NIPPON Modus 3 120 TX

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54/58 DG 115

Callaway PM Grind 64* KBS Hi-Rev 115

Sik Pro C 35.5"

Bridgestone Tour B X

I'd like to have some inside scoop on how the pros have their ZX7's adjusted.  Koepka for example - are his a degree or 2 weak?  He doesn't seem like someone who wants a 32° 7 iron, and when watching him, he doesn't send his irons out there obscene distances.  His irons selections are normal for the strong PGA Tour Pro that he is.  I would think in the default config he would move a 7 iron out there 205y+.  But he doesn't on a normal golf swing.

I like to think that I hit down on the ball fairly normally and I do take a divot up thru my 5 iron.  My 7 iron speed lives around 89mph - yet I still have trouble spinning the ZX7's in my testing - and I live at elevation in thin air - we like spin up here.

... If I played these irons I'd like to bend the 7 up to 34° (which would have the effect of imparting some added spin as well as removing some offset (not that they are offensively offset) but they already go very high in their default configuration. 

..just some thoughts.

Edited by underwater

8 hours ago, KodakkuSensei said:

Might be the grooves? The new ones have fresher grooves and maybe you have got accustomed to your old set. But anyway, keep the set that work for you

Could be, who knows.  I put the 785s back in the bag.  They just feel more solid to me for some reason.  Don’t get me wrong the ZX7 MKII fee pretty soft but it’s almost like there isn’t enough mass/weight(?) on the club head when I hit the ball.  Very strange.  Played today and two times hit my 7i just about 165 on the button.  I was struggling to get 150 with the zx’s.  I’m about a club + longer with the 785s.  I know I could adjust to the distances  it add that with the light head feel, I’m good with the 785s.  

I thought about trying them with a different shaft but I’m not sure that will even make a difference and I don’t want to spend the $ if I’m not sure.  

Edited by Bigjim1022

5 hours ago, sloansav62 said:

Anyone compare to Zx7s to ‘21 T100? Curious which has more bounce and bigger sole.

ZX7’s will have more bounce and a larger sole.  Feel is subjective so that is something you will have to decide but the ZX7 will have lower spin compared to the T100 and has stronger lofts. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 3 8.0* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD VF 6TX
Taylormade Stealth + 13.5* w/ Ventus TR Blue 7X

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ Ventus TR Blue 8X OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX
Titleist T150 23' 4 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T150 23' 5 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T100 23' 6-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM10  50* F Grind  w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 54* S Grind w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 58* T Grind w/ DG TI S400
Titleist Phantom X 21' 5.5 

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2023 at 2:11 PM, Bigjim1022 said:

Could be, who knows.  I put the 785s back in the bag.  They just feel more solid to me for some reason.  Don’t get me wrong the ZX7 MKII fee pretty soft but it’s almost like there isn’t enough mass/weight(?) on the club head when I hit the ball.  Very strange.  Played today and two times hit my 7i just about 165 on the button.  I was struggling to get 150 with the zx’s.  I’m about a club + longer with the 785s.  I know I could adjust to the distances  it add that with the light head feel, I’m good with the 785s.  

I thought about trying them with a different shaft but I’m not sure that will even make a difference and I don’t want to spend the $ if I’m not sure.  

I’ve been following this thread because I have 785/z forged combo and am tempted by the mkIIs - have steelfiber 110 x flex in my current clubs and could only hit the 7 iron of the zx7 with either modus 120x or dg x100. Off a mat with gcquad indoors, the zx7 flew 10 yards further, quite a lot less spin and lower ball flight. Reading your post has me wondering about whether this was head or shaft (I’m looking to lower spin and flight). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

I’ve been following this thread because I have 785/z forged combo and am tempted by the mkIIs - have steelfiber 110 x flex in my current clubs and could only hit the 7 iron of the zx7 with either modus 120x or dg x100. Off a mat with gcquad indoors, the zx7 flew 10 yards further, quite a lot less spin and lower ball flight. Reading your post has me wondering about whether this was head or shaft (I’m looking to lower spin and flight). 

I tried two different shafts in the MKiis.  PX LZ 6.5 which was the same shaft I have in my 785s and then regular Project X in 6.0.  Neither set performed as well for me as my 785s.  I don’t think it was a shaft issue though, I’m pretty sure it’s a head issue.  This is where it get subjective.  I don’t think the MKiis feel as solid as the 785s.  The heads feel lighter and when I hit them out if the center, felt to me almost hollow.  Sure they felt good and I think if they were your first experience with a forged club, you’d be happy.  For me, the word I keep coming back to is solid.  The 785s have a good weight and when struck well give a solid feel and string ball flight.  

IDK if that helps or not, I really wanted to like the MKiis but I’m scouring eBay now for a set of 795s as backup for when these wear out, that’s how much I love these irons.  

8 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

I tried two different shafts in the MKiis.  PX LZ 6.5 which was the same shaft I have in my 785s and then regular Project X in 6.0.  Neither set performed as well for me as my 785s.  I don’t think it was a shaft issue though, I’m pretty sure it’s a head issue.  This is where it get subjective.  I don’t think the MKiis feel as solid as the 785s.  The heads feel lighter and when I hit them out if the center, felt to me almost hollow.  Sure they felt good and I think if they were your first experience with a forged club, you’d be happy.  For me, the word I keep coming back to is solid.  The 785s have a good weight and when struck well give a solid feel and string ball flight.  

IDK if that helps or not, I really wanted to like the MKiis but I’m scouring eBay now for a set of 795s as backup for when these wear out, that’s how much I love these irons.  

Are the swing weights and total club weight the same between the two sets? Have you had a chance to hit both on a launch monitor to see if there is a difference in launch angle or spin? I have the ZX7 mkii and didn't find any loss in distance. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, cw1209 said:

Are the swing weights and total club weight the same between the two sets? Have you had a chance to hit both on a launch monitor to see if there is a difference in launch angle or spin? I have the ZX7 mkii and didn't find any loss in distance. 

The set with the PX LZs were built to the same specs, +1/4' and 2* upright.  They definitely don't feel the same swingweight but I didn't bother measuring them on a scale.  I messed around with them on the range trying varying amounts of lead tape to get the feel right but just couldn't.  I think the overall weight and swing feel threw me off with them.  I could have pulled them apart and swing weighted them myself to match but I still would have had the issue that the heads didn't feel to me as solid as the 785s. Also I kinda have an issue with spending $1k on clubs only to have to pull them apart to get the feel right.    So I sold them at a loss and moved on.  I really wanted to like them too. 

Edited by Bigjim1022

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/21/2023 at 4:56 PM, pjc said:

I think they did a good job of making those labels pretty damn understated!  At least they don't say TUNGSTEN all over the place!

do they actually have tungsten in them? I cant tell from the srixon websjte

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

On 5/10/2023 at 7:47 PM, gscott7 said:

After playing the 785's for a year, the ZX7 came out. I tried those, sold them, went back to the 785. Fast forward to this year. The ZX's MK2 is released and I buy a set.  Same specs and shaft as 785, Modus 120. For some reason that I can't put my finger on, I feel I'm still preferring the 785 and will probably ditch the MK2. Anyone else doing the same?

I preferred the look and feel of ZX7 over Z785's.  Thought the iron shaping was just better.  Top line of Zx7 is slightly larger but it's nbd.  Still game them.  I just don't get why Srixon won't bevel or slim the top line on their players iron just a bit.  Thats why I passed on the MKii

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, JD3 said:

The ZX7 MK2 4-7 iron have tungsten in the toe. I believe the MK1 are the same but not certain on that. 

• Like 2

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

49 minutes ago, XHoop24 said:

The ZX7 MK2 4-7 iron have tungsten in the toe. I believe the MK1 are the same but not certain on that. 

Yes to OG ZX7 having tungsten in 4-7

• Like 2

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

3 hours ago, JD3 said:

All of the Z series, 5 and 7, and ZX have had tungsten plugs since their inception.  It's always been out on the toe for them both until the MKII.  The MKII 5 series has tungsten in the 3-7, but the markings for it are dead center at the bottom by the sole (to help launch supposedly).  I believe the 4's also have tungsten in them, but I may be wrong about that.  The 7's remain the same as always, out on the toe, 3-7.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping I230 4 - PW| TT DG 105 S300

Cleveland RTX4 50* & 56*| KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Traded the z785's for a new set of the Original ZX7'S.  Nice update,  Very happy with Srixon irons,  Certainly  worth a consideration if you are in the market .  Will miss the Z785's, they were very good performers 

Edited by puttingmatt

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

9 hours ago, Lftygolfnut said:

Has anyone noticed the soles being much thinner? Comparing their spec sheet it looks like the Mkii 7's are at least 2mm slimmer. 

meh they seemed the same to me

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

1 hour ago, UnderPar18 said:

meh they seemed the same to me

Same here.  I actually put the previous ZX7 irons in the bag yesterday.  I'd been playing the ZX7 MKII for most of the year with the $ Taper in stiff flex.  I was struggling with shorter irons and shaft weight coming from the DG AMT White shafts, and I hit the ball much better.  I actually shot 73, which was my lowest round in a long time. 

The transition between playing one model and the other was very easy for me.  Turf interaction was identical in feel in terms of how it cuts through for me.  The main difference in feel for me was the shaft.  

The MKII are going in the closet for now, but not going anywhere.  When I wear out the previous model, the MKII will go in the bag.  I'll probably revisit the shafts in them at that point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB

• 4 weeks later...

I tested mk2 vs  my og zx7 and thought mk2 felt maybe a touch softer and maybe even on misshits also. The ball seemed to launch and go much higher in the same shaft modus 120s vs the og. If anything maybe a tad more forgiving on misshits? Almost nothing in it between the two. Og better looking to me by a bit.

I love my og but sometimes come up short with them and my miss is low on face so they can feel do able but harsh low... yes thats most players irons i get that. I think mk2 may handle that miss a bit better but over all i dont have complain on og just a matter of clubbing up for me. If i clubed up on a handful of some of the shots i hit they would have been deadly close lol they are accurate imo.

I've owned both. They play exactly the same. That's a good thing, in my opinion

• Like 4

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport