2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Why can’t I just be happy with my driver?

ECgolf

Marketing is effective... it can be easy (and fun) to buy in the fact that new technology can fix your issues instead of lessons or practice drills.

I also enjoy the research when looking for new clubs.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6

On 5/6/2023 at 12:27 PM, ECgolf said:

Got it. No worries on misinterpretation. To be clear, lessons won’t happen because of time. Time is the primary limiting factor for me, full stop.  I spend as much time on golf as I can already with my work and family obligations. I prefer not to get fired or divorced. When my kid goes off to college in a few years, it’s pretty likely I’ll take lessons, practice more, play more, all that. But for now, time means equipment is the main thing I’ll tinker with. I practice pretty efficient when I do, and I don’t want to play less to practice more. Golf is a super fun escape for me as it is right now. I got my handicap below 10, which was my goal last year. I am playing the best golf of my life.  I don’t expect to go much lower without more practice or help, which take time. I am happy with where I am with golf other than my trash bunker game. I am not longing to be better or shoot lower scores. I think I do pretty well for the time I can commit.  I should also be clear, I don’t suck with the driver. As I mention in the original post, shotscope data says I gain strokes with it compared to my handicap and I rarely lose balls off the tee. Rightly or wrongly, I just believe in my soul that there is a driver out there that could be better for me than my five year old one. What I really wish is that I could be as happy with my driver as I am with the overall state of my golf game. But, I’m not, so I keep searching, but with the limitation of time. 

All of that said, I really appreciate the insights and advice. It makes me think about a bunch of things re my “relationship” with my driver. In fact, I’m now thinking that paying for a fitting that is focused on shaft (maybe I try a different head or two like the Paradym someone suggested) but I tell them my main objective is to see if they is a shaft that can produce more consistency for me. I was fitted for a three wood last year and I am so comfortable with that thing. I flush it a lot more than my driver. And am confident with it off the tee or off the deck. This thread has got me thinking that maybe that difference is a shaft issue. And maybe, just maybe, if I got the right shaft, I’d be happy with my driver. 

Picking or getting fitted for the right shaft will make a difference but you say your playing the best golf of your life as all you may find is that honeymoon effect when your switching around as much as some people do to include me as I've been there. I used to do this also with going thru so many putters as there will always be something out there that may help give you that round you had hoped for but come next week you may wonder what the heck just happened and then what. So many turn to these forums to ask for advice but all your getting is mostly different opinions which do make sense but it doesn't mean it will work for us. There's time when I can't miss a fairway then there are times I feel like I suck but if Golf no longer becomes a super fun way to escape time to take a break. You also said you're playing the best golf of your life so as long as you keep setting goals for yourself you will be just fine. You know what it's going to take as that will come with time so don't change any of your priorities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

23 hours ago, mattman said:

My answer to OP, and some other comments on the front page about endless searching for “unicorns”, is this (and this is based off personal experience and interrogating myself, “why am I buying and selling so much equipment?”)

Now, I’ll preface this by saying there’s a healthy amount of trial and error/experimentation that any avid golfer interested in equipment should do. Figuring out what specs you like, what weight and profile of shaft you prefer will benefit you long term when replacing clubs, and allow you to focus on your *game*, which is why we all do this!!!

At a certain point, what I believe we are doing when we buy shiny new (sometimes used*) thing is: sublimating our intention to be better golfers into spendy behavior. The itch you’re really trying to scratch is a swing flaw you’d like to change, or something along those lines. If you like buying new stuff all the time and this doesn’t apply to you, then by all means have fun with that hobby! But this little essay is just meant for the guy like me who’s looking for something that doesn’t exist. For that guy, find some drills to focus on every day, blame your technique for that flight you’re not seeing (not the shaft), go to the gym and improve your core strength and mobility! All of this is much harder work than buying a golf club online, but maybe you’ll find it more fulfilling fwiw. None of us will ever be quite the golfer we dream of being, but it’s better to strive for that in yourself than blaming your endless equipment carousel. Pro’s don’t tinker that much, you don’t need to either.

All that said, this advice doesn’t apply to putters. You need to be buying as many putters as possible, and if you’re lucky, 10 years from now, you’ll find one you can’t miss with. Just ask Sergio Garcia. 

Nice essay. Opposite applies to me, however. For some reason, the type of putter I use doesn’t impact my scores as much as the other 13 clubs. A healthy mix of lessons from a pro you trust (not some YT video) & practice range/practice round trial & error with equipment is satisfying for me.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Take your driver and compare to new ones. I have a Callaway steelhead III 5 wood with steel shaft from 2003.  Everytime I walk into a simulator with a club fitter looking to buy a new 5 wood they laugh at me and can’t believe I still use it.  Needless to say it’s still in the bag because nothing I have hit yet is as king and consistent.  It shocks them everytime I’ve tried to find a new 5 wood.  

On 5/1/2023 at 10:52 PM, Kingcat990 said:

So what happens when you try 11°+ loft? 

My exact thought when I saw his carry number and the swing speed. 

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

On 5/1/2023 at 5:40 PM, ECgolf said:

I play an original Callaway Rogue, 9* tuned down to 8, with a stiff shaft. For my ability level and swing speed, I hit it well. Driver SS about 92, typical carry about 220, and I hit it pretty straight despite hitting all over the face. It is forgiving. I rarely lose balls with it. And shotscope data says I gain strokes with driver compared to my handicap. And yet, I am constantly on a search for a new driver. Last fall, I went to a Callaway demo day and, they could not beat my Rogue with the new Rogue ST. Saturday, I tried the Ping G430. Same thing. Similar, but not better. Tried the Srixon ZX 5, loved the feel, but don’t think it actually performed better. I’ve been doing this same thing for like 3+ years. Trying driver after driver hoping to find something better, but not doing so. Why can’t I just be happy that I have a driver that outperforms my handicap for me? It’s like I am just dying to spend my money on something new and the data keeps getting in the way. 

why worry about the driver when your SS is so slow? I'd worry way more about getting your SS over 100. No driver will make any more than a 5 yard distance with your SS. I'd suggest watching some Dr. Kwon videos on Youtube and do his drills. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

17 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

Nice essay. Opposite applies to me, however. For some reason, the type of putter I use doesn’t impact my scores as much as the other 13 clubs. A healthy mix of lessons from a pro you trust (not some YT video) & practice range/practice round trial & error with equipment is satisfying for me.

Drive for show putt for dough, putters and drivers seem to be swapped out more than anything else 

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

To the younger guys who have a lot of untapped potential, I say go chase all the distance you can, while you can. There’s nothing wrong with that.

To the older guys, “lose your ego” find a way to get your optimal distance and then stick with that club. 

I’m in my late 60’s and I play a 10.5* Ping G425 Max with a Distanza shaft extended 1/2”. I went from 82 mph to 88 and gained over 20 yards last year going to an ultra light weight Senior flex shaft after ditching a 9* regular flex G400 Max (which I loved).
I’m now averaging almost 220 carry at just below sea level. That’s an incredible gain and I’m not going to change a thing anytime soon.

• Like 3

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

4 hours ago, ECgolf said:

Meaning I should carry further at my swing speed? What should I expect in terms of carry distance at my swing speed? I already hit the ball high. 

If you are hitting the ball high, then keep at it.  Shaft profiles can help get the ball in the air.  Typically in your range the higher lofts would be recommended to help your carry distances.  But....if you hit it high already there is no reason to change.  The higher loft would be to help you get some more carry.  Generically, swing speed in the 90's are typically recommended to have higher lofts than 8 degrees.  Have you ever had a fitting?

• Thanks 1

Titleist u510 2 iron

4 hours ago, ECgolf said:

Meaning I should carry further at my swing speed? What should I expect in terms of carry distance at my swing speed? I already hit the ball high. 

You're already there. Flightscope and I "showed" you that 9 days ago on this very thread.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1935897-why-can’t-i-just-be-happy-with-my-driver/page/3/#comment-24780868

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

36 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

You're already there. Flightscope and I "showed" you that 9 days ago on this very thread.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1935897-why-can’t-i-just-be-happy-with-my-driver/page/3/#comment-24780868

That’s what I thought from what you shared before, but the new post from ANimz seemed to imply they thought I should be hitting it further at my swing speed. Maybe I misunderstood their point. 

5 hours ago, gioreeko said:

why worry about the driver when your SS is so slow? I'd worry way more about getting your SS over 100. No driver will make any more than a 5 yard distance with your SS. I'd suggest watching some Dr. Kwon videos on Youtube and do his drills. 

I mean, was it necessary to call my swing speed “so slow?”  LoL.  I’ve always thought it was at least decent for a guy whose next birthday is the big 50. But fair enough l certainly could work to gain speed. I doubt that will solve my underlying issue that caused this post. There is no reason for me to believe if I was swinging over 100 again (which I used to), I’d suddenly be happy with my driver, or the one I got for that speed. 

1 hour ago, ANimz said:

If you are hitting the ball high, then keep at it.  Shaft profiles can help get the ball in the air.  Typically in your range the higher lofts would be recommended to help your carry distances.  But....if you hit it high already there is no reason to change.  The higher loft would be to help you get some more carry.  Generically, swing speed in the 90's are typically recommended to have higher lofts than 8 degrees.  Have you ever had a fitting?

Thanks. I had a fitting years ago when I was younger and faster, but the current iteration of my driver swing has never had a fitting. That said, I’ve done demo days on launch monitors and we’ve tried more loft just to see and it was not better. Too high and landing like an iron. They’ve never thought more loft would be helpful. The 8* is actually a tweak I made to try to get ball flight down a little. It has been moderately successful in getting me a bit more total distance according to shotscope. 

3 hours ago, john myrbch said:

To the younger guys who have a lot of untapped potential, I say go chase all the distance you can, while you can. There’s nothing wrong with that.

To the older guys, “lose your ego” find a way to get your optimal distance and then stick with that club. 

I’m in my late 60’s and I play a 10.5* Ping G425 Max with a Distanza shaft extended 1/2”. I went from 82 mph to 88 and gained over 20 yards last year going to an ultra light weight Senior flex shaft after ditching a 9* regular flex G400 Max (which I loved).
I’m now averaging almost 220 carry at just below sea level. That’s an incredible gain and I’m not going to change a thing anytime soon.

Seems like sage advice all around. 

2 hours ago, ECgolf said:

Thanks. I had a fitting years ago when I was younger and faster, but the current iteration of my driver swing has never had a fitting. That said, I’ve done demo days on launch monitors and we’ve tried more loft just to see and it was not better. Too high and landing like an iron. They’ve never thought more loft would be helpful. The 8* is actually a tweak I made to try to get ball flight down a little. It has been moderately successful in getting me a bit more total distance according to shotscope. 

What shaft do you have?

Titleist u510 2 iron

If you have the b****, I say find a fitter and book an appointment.  Eliminate the questions you seem to have in your head.  

• Thanks 1

Titleist u510 2 iron

3 hours ago, ECgolf said:

I mean, was it necessary to call my swing speed “so slow?”  LoL.  I’ve always thought it was at least decent for a guy whose next birthday is the big 50. But fair enough l certainly could work to gain speed. I doubt that will solve my underlying issue that caused this post. There is no reason for me to believe if I was swinging over 100 again (which I used to), I’d suddenly be happy with my driver, or the one I got for that speed. 

I'm just saying don't think equipment will do more than training your swing will do. Seems a lot of people look for an easy fix as opposed to working harder to increase SS. Don't let age be an excuse, I'm turning 58 this year and just got back from the range, and driver SS was around 118. Not too bad for swinging after working legs today at the gym. Did the Kwon drills with a friend at the range today, and he increase his speed about 6 mph in just one session. Good luck!

Maltby TSW sand wedge

3 hours ago, ECgolf said:

You are my age. Consider this WRX post from a little bit ago about age deciles, performance on explosive strength tests, and swing speed.

I am not trying to shame you.  I am trying to say that just because you are turning 50, there is no reason to expect that your swing speed should greatly decay.  100, by the linked post, is not out of line at all, for those of us approaching the big 50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

I'm just saying don't think equipment will do more than training your swing will do. Seems a lot of people look for an easy fix as opposed to working harder to increase SS. Don't let age be an excuse, I'm turning 58 this year and just got back from the range, and driver SS was around 118. Not too bad for swinging after working legs today at the gym. Did the Kwon drills with a friend at the range today, and he increase his speed about 6 mph in just one session. Good luck!

impressive swing speed. Don’t disagree that increasing swing speed will increase distance, I was just saying that likely won’t solve the issue I was posting about. As others have helped me sort out, it is largely about unrealistic expectations, and secondarily likely about hitting the center of the club more often, which is likely a combination of shaft and practice. Hitting it further, but the same, will improve my game for sure, but likely won’t do much for my feeling happy with my driver if I don’t sort out those other pieces. All of that said, swing speed is perhaps the lowest hanging fruit for me on driver. Will check out the Kwon stuff you mention. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ANimz said:

If you have the b****, I say find a fitter and book an appointment.  Eliminate the questions you seem to have in your head.  

I think this is something I should do. Focus will be on shaft based on what feedback here. If I can hit center of face more consistently, I think I will feel much better about my driver. And, I have a fitter I like who fit me into my irons a  few months ago. 

Also, this thread and another I’ve been on recently have helped me realize there is no real reason to worry about my driver. I gain strokes on my handicap with driver (I assume because I hit it real straight), and other parts of my game suck and could most easily improve. Thus, what I really need to do is change my mindset. My driver is plenty good enough. My sand game is not. My priority should be doing something about that, and be happy that my driver isn’t costing me strokes. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ECgolf said:

impressive swing speed. Don’t disagree that increasing swing speed will increase distance, I was just saying that likely won’t solve the issue I was posting about. As others have helped me sort out, it is largely about unrealistic expectations, and secondarily likely about hitting the center of the club more often, which is likely a combination of shaft and practice. Hitting it further, but the same, will improve my game for sure, but likely won’t do much for my feeling happy with my driver if I don’t sort out those other pieces. All of that said, swing speed is perhaps the lowest hanging fruit for me on driver. Will check out the Kwon stuff you mention. 

If you are having issues hitting the sweet spot often, I would maybe suggest a shorter driver shaft, or trying a mini driver. I have the Taylormade mini 300, and hit that more consistently in the fairway, and it goes around 290-300 for me. 330 and in the rough isn't worth the extra yardage for me on most holes, unless it's a par 5 that's fairly wide.  What length driver are you playng?

• Thanks 1

Maltby TSW sand wedge

36 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

You are my age. Consider this WRX post from a little bit ago about age deciles, performance on explosive strength tests, and swing speed.

I am not trying to shame you.  I am trying to say that just because you are turning 50, there is no reason to expect that your swing speed should greatly decay.  100, by the linked post, is not out of line at all, for those of us approaching the big 50.

Thanks for the article. Surprised to see my swing speed is so far below average for my age. But knowledge is power (no pun intended). Helpful to know. Will put swing speed increase in the cue of improvement options. 

4 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

If you are having issues hitting the sweet spot often, I would maybe suggest a shorter driver shaft, or trying a mini driver. I have the Taylormade mini 300, and hit that more consistently in the fairway, and it goes around 290-300 for me. 330 and in the rough isn't worth the extra yardage for me on most holes, unless it's a par 5 that's fairly wide.  What length driver are you playng?

Fitting route I think is way for me

to go on this. Don’t know how long my current shaft is. I’ve only started to dip into technical details of my equipment over the last few months since I got active on this forum. But, I really am a novice on that basic knowledge. Learning a lot here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ECgolf said:

Fitting route I think is way for me

to go on this. Don’t know how long my current shaft is. I’ve only started to dip into technical details of my equipment over the last few months since I got active on this forum. But, I really am a novice on that basic knowledge. Learning a lot here. 

My friend, forgive as I'm sure I won't remember a fair bit of what's been posted in this thread, but it has been over 2 weeks now.

IMO, fitting is NOT the route you have to go. But you seem bound and determined to get a new driver. So by all means do just that. And after you've found little-to-no-improvement, at least distance-wise, get back to us.

1) Your SS to carry ratio is (92/220). Since those numbers are maxed out according to flightscope, I'm assuming those are center strikes, rather average carry, since you said "Driver SS about 92, typical carry about 220, and I hit it pretty straight despite hitting all over the face".

2) The chart posted here on WRX suggests you are below the 25th percentile in SS for your age (92 vs. 97).

I checked out a Kwon video (don't think the other poster gave us a link) in which Kwon is giving instruction on how to deliver the club more efficiently (read faster). i.e. speed training.

Conclusion ? Barring some physical issue(s) you haven't(?) told us about, it's your swing, NOT your driver.

Early on I suggested you make a video of your driver swing ("face on" and from behind) and post it here on WRX in the instruction section. People will offer comments/suggestions. It's the quickest, easiest and least expensive way to at least start to get a handle on the issue.

All anyone is doing on this thread, including yourself, is GUESSING. :classic_wink:

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

On 5/13/2023 at 4:01 AM, Tiptx1122 said:

Picking or getting fitted for the right shaft will make a difference but you say your playing the best golf of your life as all you may find is that honeymoon effect when your switching around as much as some people do to include me as I've been there. I used to do this also with going thru so many putters as there will always be something out there that may help give you that round you had hoped for but come next week you may wonder what the heck just happened and then what. So many turn to these forums to ask for advice but all your getting is mostly different opinions which do make sense but it doesn't mean it will work for us. There's time when I can't miss a fairway then there are times I feel like I suck but if Golf no longer becomes a super fun way to escape time to take a break. You also said you're playing the best golf of your life so as long as you keep setting goals for yourself you will be just fine. You know what it's going to take as that will come with time so don't change any of your priorities. 

A bad day out on the golf course is always better than a good day at work.  😉  I will agree with the honeymoon effect though.  I'm very happy with my current setup but love to tinker as well.  I picked up a 1K Pro Blue and it arrived yesterday.  I'm trying to see if I can get a little more ball speed while keeping dispersion reasonable.  The never ending cycle.........sigh.

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

My friend, forgive as I'm sure I won't remember a fair bit of what's been posted in this thread, but it has been over 2 weeks now.

IMO, fitting is NOT the route you have to go. But you seem bound and determined to get a new driver. So by all means do just that. And after you've found little-to-no-improvement, at least distance-wise, get back to us.

1) Your SS to carry ratio is (92/220). Since those numbers are maxed out according to flightscope, I'm assuming those are center strikes, rather average carry, since you said "Driver SS about 92, typical carry about 220, and I hit it pretty straight despite hitting all over the face".

2) The chart posted here on WRX suggests you are below the 25th percentile in SS for your age (92 vs. 97).

I checked out a Kwon video (don't think the other poster gave us a link) in which Kwon is giving instruction on how to deliver the club more efficiently (read faster). i.e. speed training.

Conclusion ? Barring some physical issue(s) you haven't(?) told us about, it's your swing, NOT your driver.

Early on I suggested you make a video of your driver swing ("face on" and from behind) and post it here on WRX in the instruction section. People will offer comments/suggestions. It's the quickest, easiest and least expensive way to at least start to get a handle on the issue.

All anyone is doing on this thread, including yourself, is GUESSING. :classic_wink:

Thanks. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond so thoroughly. Really helpful information. And I’d bet you are right that in a fitting I’ll learn for sure that I can’t do better absent swing or strength adjustments or something. I’ve learned a ton through this thread. I literally just learned yesterday that my swing speed is slow for my age. I had no idea. I am newish to data collection on my game. Started shotscope last year and have only been on trackman a handful of times outside of fitting. 

Also, I remember your suggestion to post a shot of my swing to get better feedback. I did not mean to ignore you on that. I should have said that is not something I feel comfortable doing. I’m one of those Luddites who is uncomfortable with images of me on the internet for all to see, so try to avoid as much as possible. Appreciate that suggestion though. 

Lastly, your comments have been some of the most valuable to me in terms of information you have provided. Thank you! And, frankly, with how you and a couple others lay it all out, it does make me feel like something is off and I’m missing or wrong about something (my swing speed from trackman, how “all over the face” I actually am compared to what I think, something else I’m not aware of). Part of the reason I now want to go to a fitter now, is not that I am dead set on getting new equipment. Rather, it’s because this thread has opened me up to how much I don’t know or understand about what is going on with me and my driver (for example, if I swing so slow and hit all over the face, how am I maxing out on expected output and gaining strokes with driver on my handicap? Or am I totally wrong about what is going on?). The point of the fitting for me is knowledge on what going on. I understand that I could maybe get some of that for free via other routes, but at my knowledge and comfort level I think fitter is the way to get there. I have a guy who just fit me for irons that I love in January. And, I’m willing to pay him for a couple hours  to help me understand what is going on. I’ve said my focus would be on shaft based on what I’ve learned from folks here about shaft relation to strike. If that is not an issue, I suspect he will tell me. In my mind, getting the knowledge will help me move forward with a plan based on information. If that information shows I’m maxing out driver for my input as you said, it will put my mind at ease and I’ll know strength training is only issue. If that information shows, I’m wrong in my facts and assumptions this thread is based on, I can move forward based on actual facts. If the information shows a different shaft will help me hit the sweet spot more easily, then that. If the information shows I don’t hit it all over the face like I think, then that would be useful too. 

By the way, I find it interesting that most folks have assumed (or at least focused on) distance when reading I feel unhappy with my driver. That may be because of how I framed things in the original post. Over the last few weeks as I’ve read all the comments and thought through things I’ve realized it is not really about distance. When I hit it out of the center (was thinking about this as I played yesterday) I feel great about it. It’s really that I don’t get that satisfying feeling enough with my driver, even when I am still middle of the fairway and over 220 out (hit one poorly yesterday that rolled out over 220, but felt like crap). I also now recognize, that a new driver is not likely to solve this problem for me. But, information on what is going on likely will help, just as what you and others have shared already has. I already view my driver very differently than when I started this thread, and that is solely based on the knowledge you and others have shared. I am greatly appreciative.

Edited by ECgolf
  • Like 1

There's very little improvement a new driver will accomplish. I have a friend that's always trying to buy distance, and I keep telling him it's his swing. To prove my point I brought a pretty old Cleveland Hibore XL tour driver to the range with us yesterday. I'm playing a Callaway Epic Speed LS right now, and my average carry at the range was around 295-305. Took out the Cleveland, and average carry was the same. That driver is at least 10 years old tech, and no real difference. 

• Like 2

Maltby TSW sand wedge

On 5/4/2023 at 10:49 AM, bladehunter said:

In all seriousness I’m in the middle of these throws at the moment.   And I’ve held off buying indiscriminately as was the past practice in favor of trying to figure out why.  

what I’ve come up with is that I have never truly loved a driver.  Some honeymoons. A few I might have lived had they not cracked and been unable to duplicate , but no love affairs.  Why is that ?  

Well one reason is sound or feel. It’s really hard to find a modern driver that doesn’t feel hard.  Or that you can tell the difference between sweet spot or not. The “ forgiveness “ aspect dulls this.  That being said. I don’t want one with a sweet spot the size of a BB either ( looking at you sldr ).  I regularly love the look and feel of a ping driver ( heavier head and silverish face ) but. 100 % of the time I’ll spin one like a top.  No matter the shaft.  Which means I’ll hit it about the same Carry as my 4 wood.  Which is a club I love and that I hit soo good I can’t imagine not carrying.  I score better hitting it than driver on all but par 5s.    

So flip back to callaway or TM drivers.   I can get the spin under control with them. But the feel is horrible. They’re lighter weight. They have hard faces and they have very high vertical centers of gravity    I’ll have decent days with one. Then I’ll have the “ play all days from the trees “ days. That same day I can just stop hitting it and play 3 wood off the tee and score just fine.  So I buy the newest mini driver thinking I’ll just play that from the fairway.  Well. They’ve screwed that up by making the head lighter. Don’t like it.  All the while I’m testing I’m keeping the 3-4 ( 16.5 degree head ) wood close by to hit alternating shots. To make sure it’s the club and not the swing.  And I’m just punishing the 3 wood.  Just rapey ballspeed.  I feel sorry for the club.  Yet I can’t feel this way about any driver.  Why ?  I do not know.  It’s a combo of feel. And expectation.  It needs to sit right and feel good. But it also  needs to be close to maxing out on efficiency to be past my 3 wood. And finding that is very hard.  Or impossible.  

I can only reference one thing that may be worth you looking into, and I relate completely to the point my driver has made me quit the game 2x now and I am back on another go with throwing money at a couple heads and 5 shafts to go to work in garage sim with.  The last drivers I loved were the R7 and Before that McHenry metals and before that, my all time best driver, the OG king cobra grey metal wood, like that tiger hit as an amateur.  Reality is that I used these clubs when I was younger and more flexible and just pounded drives....Everything else since  has been ups and downs and mostly downs.

Here is the tip.  I have a rogue TD LS and I pulled whatever came in the back for a 12 or 14g weight from the bay.  Then I pulled the 6g from bottom front and replaced with a 2g.  I did this because at a 105 ss the TD LS May be a bit much for me but what I found mostly is greatly improved the feel.  You said it, feel on modern drivers is junk, and my other head is an epic speed I picked up for $100 to just have in testing, but did same, put a big weight in back.  This may add spin for you and be a no go as I recall you are a big hitter, but I am getting over 300 with my slower swing speed when I pure it and about a 273-284 avg head and shaft combo depending.  Like you I have decade old 15* 3 wood I nail straight and can work both ways fairly ok and I could score better with and hit 250-260.......BUT I can’t hit it 315 or mis hit it 260 and More so I absolutely refuse to accept I can’t use a driver so I never just use it all round, only on holes where I should.   Mess with aftermarket weights, it changes the feel some.  Also, the Mitsubishi  kai’li shaft is the lowest spinning shaft I am testing so if you haven’t tried that, for my swing at least it is 1800-2400 consistently and other shafts are 2600-3100 consistently.  So put that in a persimmon head and you should be golden🤪