Why can’t I just be happy with my driver?

ECgolf

In all seriousness I’m in the middle of these throws at the moment.   And I’ve held off buying indiscriminately as was the past practice in favor of trying to figure out why.  

what I’ve come up with is that I have never truly loved a driver.  Some honeymoons. A few I might have lived had they not cracked and been unable to duplicate , but no love affairs.  Why is that ?  

Well one reason is sound or feel. It’s really hard to find a modern driver that doesn’t feel hard.  Or that you can tell the difference between sweet spot or not. The “ forgiveness “ aspect dulls this.  That being said. I don’t want one with a sweet spot the size of a BB either ( looking at you sldr ).  I regularly love the look and feel of a ping driver ( heavier head and silverish face ) but. 100 % of the time I’ll spin one like a top.  No matter the shaft.  Which means I’ll hit it about the same Carry as my 4 wood.  Which is a club I love and that I hit soo good I can’t imagine not carrying.  I score better hitting it than driver on all but par 5s.    

So flip back to callaway or TM drivers.   I can get the spin under control with them. But the feel is horrible. They’re lighter weight. They have hard faces and they have very high vertical centers of gravity    I’ll have decent days with one. Then I’ll have the “ play all days from the trees “ days. That same day I can just stop hitting it and play 3 wood off the tee and score just fine.  So I buy the newest mini driver thinking I’ll just play that from the fairway.  Well. They’ve screwed that up by making the head lighter. Don’t like it.  All the while I’m testing I’m keeping the 3-4 ( 16.5 degree head ) wood close by to hit alternating shots. To make sure it’s the club and not the swing.  And I’m just punishing the 3 wood.  Just rapey ballspeed.  I feel sorry for the club.  Yet I can’t feel this way about any driver.  Why ?  I do not know.  It’s a combo of feel. And expectation.  It needs to sit right and feel good. But it also  needs to be close to maxing out on efficiency to be past my 3 wood. And finding that is very hard.  Or impossible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I am testing the Paradyme X and trying to get the right shaft and length for it. So far, the Ping is kicking its butt badly. It is a long, little bugger though, not bad. The problem is consistency so far, but what a low penetrating flight when hit right!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 5/1/2023 at 8:40 PM, ECgolf said:

I play an original Callaway Rogue, 9* tuned down to 8, with a stiff shaft. For my ability level and swing speed, I hit it well. Driver SS about 92, typical carry about 220, and I hit it pretty straight despite hitting all over the face. It is forgiving. I rarely lose balls with it. And shotscope data says I gain strokes with driver compared to my handicap. And yet, I am constantly on a search for a new driver. Last fall, I went to a Callaway demo day and, they could not beat my Rogue with the new Rogue ST. Saturday, I tried the Ping G430. Same thing. Similar, but not better. Tried the Srixon ZX 5, loved the feel, but don’t think it actually performed better. I’ve been doing this same thing for like 3+ years. Trying driver after driver hoping to find something better, but not doing so. Why can’t I just be happy that I have a driver that outperforms my handicap for me? It’s like I am just dying to spend my money on something new and the data keeps getting in the way. 

12 hours ago, platgof said:

Get with the program and buy 2 or three new shafts to try out on it. Make sure to try different lengths as well, with different grips and sizes. 

Ol' Phizzy & Blade touched on it, but of all people, ol' platty hit it.

Firstly, you leave out some important numbers like spin rate and launch. Also, you say 220 is "typical carry". Per flightscope, at 92mph carry is 220 with a launch of 15* @ 2000 rpm.

Personally I don't look at "typical (average ?)" carry. I care about my MAX carry,,,,,,,,,,,and then find a driver that I can hit that number with most often, with acceptable dispersion, AND with small-medium misses getting as close as possible to the max carry.

I believe, in most cases, one hits it all over the face because they likely don't have the right shaft. I believe the shaft has a LOT to do with finding the sweet spot over and over again.

Max ball speed off the face has been reached by ALL the manufacturers for almost 20 years now.

So the only things left for a company to do is improve their driver's dispersion and maintain speed on off center strikes; as Phizzy said earlier.

@phizzy30 said "Have you tried the Paradym?  I've tested almost every '23 driver and it edged out the other drivers plus gave me the best dispersion.  Higher end of average ball speed for me as well.  I find the Paradym to be more forgiving on mishits as well in the ball speed retention and consistent spin department compared to the OG Rogue.  Something to consider since you say you hit it all over the face"

So, given the facts as you stated, first I would try to find ways of demoing different shafts in an attempt to get more consistent center contact.

I did this very successfully myself 4 years ago. Demo'd the Epic Flash Sub Zero, bought one on the bay for $250 and then bought 3 or 4 different shafts. Settled on a Tour AD TP-6. Very consistent center contact.

I should say I LOVE the Epic SZ head and have recently, seeing so many Tour pros playing it, gotten a Ventus Black - jury's still out on that one. :classic_laugh:

I would also give the Paradym a shot. While I know salesmen are there to sell, I have a decent relationship with a few of them at my local store, and of the ones I trust I've heard really good things about the Paradym; very similar to what Phizzy is saying.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt. 👍

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Well I went out today as I have yet to hit my driver with this new shaft I just purchased. I only hit 57% of my fairways as I have the easiest most forgiving driver you can buy, Lol! So why didn't I do better ha ha. Well we have all heard it before it's the Indian not the arrow as I at first struggle to find my temp but once I did I was averaging 250 yds carry as the ball was not getting any roll very damp out as we had rain every day this week. My swing has some rust still as no matter what this driver did, it is staying in the bag as like I said my last 5 holes I bombed it 4 times. I probably should have go to the driving range with it but I was dying to get out. I just love how this shaft feels for it's very smooth with a nice kick that lets you know you nailed it. Now here is my dilemma my 300 Mini is going almost a far as my driver but it has much more accuracy than my driver. Going to use 2 Mini's now just to start finding more fairways. Man this game can be so darn frustrating.

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Like 2

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

12 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Ol' Phizzy & Blade touched on it, but of all people, ol' platty hit it.

Firstly, you leave out some important numbers like spin rate and launch. Also, you say 220 is "typical carry". Per flightscope, at 92mph carry is 220 with a launch of 15* @ 2000 rpm.

Personally I don't look at "typical (average ?)" carry. I care about my MAX carry,,,,,,,,,,,and then find a driver that I can hit that number with most often, with acceptable dispersion, AND with small-medium misses getting as close as possible to the max carry.

I believe, in most cases, one hits it all over the face because they likely don't have the right shaft. I believe the shaft has a LOT to do with finding the sweet spot over and over again.

Max ball speed off the face has been reached by ALL the manufacturers for almost 20 years now.

So the only things left for a company to do is improve their driver's dispersion and maintain speed on off center strikes; as Phizzy said earlier.

@phizzy30 said "Have you tried the Paradym?  I've tested almost every '23 driver and it edged out the other drivers plus gave me the best dispersion.  Higher end of average ball speed for me as well.  I find the Paradym to be more forgiving on mishits as well in the ball speed retention and consistent spin department compared to the OG Rogue.  Something to consider since you say you hit it all over the face"

So, given the facts as you stated, first I would try to find ways of demoing different shafts in an attempt to get more consistent center contact.

I did this very successfully myself 4 years ago. Demo'd the Epic Flash Sub Zero, bought one on the bay for $250 and then bought 3 or 4 different shafts. Settled on a Tour AD TP-6. Very consistent center contact.

I should say I LOVE the Epic SZ head and have recently, seeing so many Tour pros playing it, gotten a Ventus Black - jury's still out on that one. :classic_laugh:

I would also give the Paradym a shot. While I know salesmen are there to sell, I have a decent relationship with a few of them at my local store, and of the ones I trust I've heard really good things about the Paradym; very similar to what Phizzy is saying.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt. 👍

The shaft search is not something I’d even know how to start, but if i could hit the center more consistently that would obviously help (it’s not that I never hit it, but I miss it plenty). Knowing little about shafts, how would one go about experimenting absent paying a fitter to sort it? I wouldn’t know what to try, how to go about it, and how not to spend a fortune. I’d be up for trying new shaft with my club head. 

15 hours ago, MichaelGFox said:

no offense but a 9 handicap wont find the secret to driving by switching sticks. you need to pick the best one for you, get lessons, and intently practice. The constant switching is just mumbo jumbo to make yourself feel good

No offense taken. Not sure what I even might be offended by in your response. That said, there has been no constant switching. I haven’t changed drivers in years, but I would if I could find something better. Lessons aren’t going to happen anytime soon. In large part because my life will not allow more time to practice. I play one 18 per week, squeeze in a nine during the week where I can, and practice less than once a week. No room in my life for more golf right now, but I don’t know that I’m ready to give up the quest. 

On 5/1/2023 at 9:01 PM, Greenie said:

The C721 is performing so well I'm not even trying out the new stuff. 

Not every new driver is better than before. If it is it's probably not worth the upgrade.

I'm so happy with the C721 that the only driver I'm considering is another C721 for backup.  It's a 2021 model that's not being made anymore.  I'm glad I tried a different shaft before giving up on it, a switch from Blue to Black Hzrdus made all the difference. 

• Like 4

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

There’s a lot to be said for “learning” one specific driver. Tendencies take a full season or more of play to really get a handle of, and learning slight but necessary adjustments to combat particular misses is huge in being a good driver on your “off” days. So much is engrained as feel, and part of feel is having a club you have trusted in your hands many times before. Ymmv

• Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

There are a couple ways you can go about trying shafts. I had a taylormade r1s that I had a nice honeymoon period with but when it wore off I felt I was leaving a lot of carry distance on the table. I did some googling and found that the shaft in it was low launch/low spin. I looked at another driver I had and saw that it was a 60 gram regular flex, so I then went to ebay and put in driver shaft and filtered the results. I found a cheap shaft and went to Google and it was a high launch/spin shaft. I got lucky that it was a very good fit for me and gave me really good numbers. 

In order to try some different shafts that will truly maximize your driver you'll have to pay for a fitting.  I won a full bag fitting from club champion on here and we zeroed in on a shaft that helps me maximize my driver. I found a good deal on ebay and they built it for me. Now I know I have a driver that's built to maximize my numbers and I'm really only looking for a backup head at this point. 

• Thanks 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

21 hours ago, ECgolf said:

The shaft search is not something I’d even know how to start, but if i could hit the center more consistently that would obviously help (it’s not that I never hit it, but I miss it plenty). Knowing little about shafts, how would one go about experimenting absent paying a fitter to sort it? I wouldn’t know what to try, how to go about it, and how not to spend a fortune. I’d be up for trying new shaft with my club head. 

From reading back on the posts it seems both money and practice time are issues. Bad combo.

Lets out both lessons and a lot of buying and selling clubs and/or shafts. But does it really let out a fitter ?

Club Champions is pretty pricey (I think) but the PGATSS around me had fitting sessions priced very reasonably in the past (not sure about now) and I'm sure you can use your head and try out a lot of shaft combos.

But golf is a pricey AND time consuming game if you really want to get better - not sure what to tell you about that. Dunno1.gif

Good luck. 👍

Titleist Pro V1X

My fitting strategy is to take liberal advantage of the 90-day return policy from Roger Dunn.  I try 1 or 2 generation-old clubs, on the actual courses I play, over multiple rounds. If it doesn't work out in actual play, no harm, no foul.  Also a lot of experimentation with heads and shafts from ebay. 

• Thanks 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

From reading back on the posts it seems both money and practice time are issues. Bad combo.

Lets out both lessons and a lot of buying and selling clubs and/or shafts. But does it really let out a fitter ?

Club Champions is pretty pricey (I think) but the PGATSS around me had fitting sessions priced very reasonably in the past (not sure about now) and I'm sure you can use your head and try out a lot of shaft combos.

But golf is a pricey AND time consuming game if you really want to get better - not sure what to tell you about that. Dunno1.gif

Good luck. 👍

Time is more of an issue than money. I’m not sure where you got money being the issue, but I don’t think of it that way. If there were a driver clearly outperforming what I have, I’d buy it. On the time front, I don’t want to get into a situation where I’m spending a lot of time and energy buying and selling shafts to try. So, the time aspect of that is the primary concern on top of not knowing enough to feel confident I’m buying the right things. And a fitting, is easily within budget. So, that may ultimately be the way to go. 

Also, to be clear, I am not unhappy with how good (or not) I am at golf at this point. I was a 15 handicap a few years ago. Down to a 9, with it down to an 8 last fall. I don’t expect to, or even need to get much better with the time I have to commit to golf. I’m happy with where I am with my game. But, to me, that is a separate question than whether there is a driver (or shaft even as some have pointed out) that will result in me hitting the ball a bit further or straighter or more consistent distance. That is what I am searching for. Is there a driver that is better for me, exactly as I am. All the folks talking about what it takes to get better at golf are focusing on a different goal than the one this thread is about. Some equipment works better for each person than other equipment. That is what this thread and my longing/angst is about. Not that I am not good enough. 

6 hours ago, ECgolf said:

Time is more of an issue than money. I’m not sure where you got money being the issue, but I don’t think of it that way. If there were a driver clearly outperforming what I have, I’d buy it. On the time front, I don’t want to get into a situation where I’m spending a lot of time and energy buying and selling shafts to try. So, the time aspect of that is the primary concern on top of not knowing enough to feel confident I’m buying the right things. And a fitting, is easily within budget. So, that may ultimately be the way to go. 

Also, to be clear, I am not unhappy with how good (or not) I am at golf at this point. I was a 15 handicap a few years ago. Down to a 9, with it down to an 8 last fall. I don’t expect to, or even need to get much better with the time I have to commit to golf. I’m happy with where I am with my game. But, to me, that is a separate question than whether there is a driver (or shaft even as some have pointed out) that will result in me hitting the ball a bit further or straighter or more consistent distance. That is what I am searching for. Is there a driver that is better for me, exactly as I am. All the folks talking about what it takes to get better at golf are focusing on a different goal than the one this thread is about. Some equipment works better for each person than other equipment. That is what this thread and my longing/angst is about. Not that I am not good enough. 

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

You'd also said lessons weren't going to happen anytime soon.

Point is, missing the driver's sweet spot as often as you say you do indicates a need for the right equipment, time, practice, and/or lessons.

You seem to have little choice or desire to take anything but the equipment path - which still takes time, and practice and/or lessons.

Perhaps you might want to take a look at the "Instruction Academy" forum ? Maybe post a video of your driver swings ?

You may get some very helpful suggestions there, and who knows, you may not need any new equipment.

On 5/5/2023 at 1:24 AM, ECgolf said:

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

You'd also said lessons weren't going to happen anytime soon.

Point is, missing the driver's sweet spot as often as you say you do indicates a need for the right equipment, time, practice, and/or lessons.

You seem to have little choice or desire to take anything but the equipment path - which still takes time, and practice and/or lessons.

Perhaps you might want to take a look at the "Instruction Academy" forum ? Maybe post a video of your driver swings ?

You may get some very helpful suggestions there, and who knows, you may not need any new equipment.

Got it. No worries on misinterpretation. To be clear, lessons won’t happen because of time. Time is the primary limiting factor for me, full stop.  I spend as much time on golf as I can already with my work and family obligations. I prefer not to get fired or divorced. When my kid goes off to college in a few years, it’s pretty likely I’ll take lessons, practice more, play more, all that. But for now, time means equipment is the main thing I’ll tinker with. I practice pretty efficient when I do, and I don’t want to play less to practice more. Golf is a super fun escape for me as it is right now. I got my handicap below 10, which was my goal last year. I am playing the best golf of my life.  I don’t expect to go much lower without more practice or help, which take time. I am happy with where I am with golf other than my trash bunker game. I am not longing to be better or shoot lower scores. I think I do pretty well for the time I can commit.  I should also be clear, I don’t suck with the driver. As I mention in the original post, shotscope data says I gain strokes with it compared to my handicap and I rarely lose balls off the tee. Rightly or wrongly, I just believe in my soul that there is a driver out there that could be better for me than my five year old one. What I really wish is that I could be as happy with my driver as I am with the overall state of my golf game. But, I’m not, so I keep searching, but with the limitation of time. 

All of that said, I really appreciate the insights and advice. It makes me think about a bunch of things re my “relationship” with my driver. In fact, I’m now thinking that paying for a fitting that is focused on shaft (maybe I try a different head or two like the Paradym someone suggested) but I tell them my main objective is to see if they is a shaft that can produce more consistency for me. I was fitted for a three wood last year and I am so comfortable with that thing. I flush it a lot more than my driver. And am confident with it off the tee or off the deck. This thread has got me thinking that maybe that difference is a shaft issue. And maybe, just maybe, if I got the right shaft, I’d be happy with my driver. 

On 5/1/2023 at 7:40 PM, ECgolf said:

I play an original Callaway Rogue, 9* tuned down to 8, with a stiff shaft. For my ability level and swing speed, I hit it well. Driver SS about 92, typical carry about 220, and I hit it pretty straight despite hitting all over the face. It is forgiving. I rarely lose balls with it. And shotscope data says I gain strokes with driver compared to my handicap. And yet, I am constantly on a search for a new driver. Last fall, I went to a Callaway demo day and, they could not beat my Rogue with the new Rogue ST. Saturday, I tried the Ping G430. Same thing. Similar, but not better. Tried the Srixon ZX 5, loved the feel, but don’t think it actually performed better. I’ve been doing this same thing for like 3+ years. Trying driver after driver hoping to find something better, but not doing so. Why can’t I just be happy that I have a driver that outperforms my handicap for me? It’s like I am just dying to spend my money on something new and the data keeps getting in the way. 

A combination of never being satisfied and unrealistic expectations.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

1 hour ago, miles2go said:

I have around the same swing speed. Wish I could get 220 carry. Guess I need a new driver. 

Your statement and one earlier are probably my problem. My expectations are probably unreasonable. I hit it about as far as one could hope with my swing speed. And I don’t lose many balls off the tee. Shot scope tells me I drive better than my handicap as well. This thread has helped me realize that my real issues with my driver are that I don’t hit the center as much as I want, and I want a tighter dispersion. I may look at shafts. But, I really should be happy with my driver. It may just be my expectations that need to adjust, not the equipment. That is much harder though. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ECgolf said:

Your statement and one earlier are probably my problem. My expectations are probably unreasonable. I hit it about as far as one could hope with my swing speed. And I don’t lose many balls off the tee. Shot scope tells me I drive better than my handicap as well. This thread has helped me realize that my real issues with my driver are that I don’t hit the center as much as I want, and I want a tighter dispersion. I may look at shafts. But, I really should be happy with my driver. It may just be my expectations that need to adjust, not the equipment. That is much harder though. 

I’d be better served by spending some time in the gym working on strength and flexibility and practicing a little more. Maybe even a lesson or two. The driver isn’t the problem.  

• Like 1

What people said earlier...I think the shaft plays the largest role. I was flirting with the idea of a new driver this year and now need one due to my shaft breaking (it's an older head and I'm setting a $300 limit) so I've done a lot of experimenting.

I keep coming back to the same shaft, regardless of the brand. Some heads have been slightly better with their head, but not necessarily ground-breaking or worth the extra cash.

• Thanks 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6

47 minutes ago, miles2go said:

I’d be better served by spending some time in the gym working on strength and flexibility and practicing a little more. Maybe even a lesson or two. The driver isn’t the problem.  

Same on strength work. Lowest hanging fruit for me is improving trash bunker game. I have decided to work on bunkers disproportionately in my limited practice the next few months to see if I can improve. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:40 PM, ECgolf said:

Reading this, as if I wrote it myself.  From the testing to the Shot Scope date lol The only difference is I bought a few drivers and 5 G400 MAX's in the process. This season, I found my way back to a G400 MAX that my buddy sold. lol 

I almost bought a G430 MAX but the fitter told me the hard truth that it won't do anything different than my G400 MAX. Unless I just want a shinny new toy and have some extra dollars to spend, by all means go ahead. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 2

Well that would be my suggestion as I play the PING G430 10.5 SFT as I hit it well but always thinking I could hit it better but I'm like you. I usually play 3-4 times a week but for only 9 holes at a time as I don't like spending 4+ hours playing golf and waiting 10 minutes on the Tee waiting. I'm right in between a regular flex and stiff so there is my dilemma too. Not getting younger so I primarily play regular flex. So I know this only makes your choices harder but get a driver that you can stick with that has all the forgiveness that you'll ever need as I would much rather give up a few yards and find the fairways than bomb everything off the tee but never know where you might end up. For me I'm going to try 2 different Mini's out BRNR turned down to 11* and 300 Mini turn up to 14*

Edited by Tiptx1122

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Here’s how it goes: You get set with your driver for the year that’s a generation or generations older than your current driver . Then you go back to that newer driver you’re not sure of. Then at the end of the round you sell it. The next week the guy you sold it to is pounding it past you. So you just go out and try the newest generation at one store just for next year’s wish list. Then you go to another store because your interest has become more of an inflammation of desire over sheer reasoning. You’re next step is to try the driver of choice in a hitting booth with a 9.0 and 10.5 option that are made available by some sales guy who looks like he’d burst into flames if he ever goes outside. Then you decide something that you already decided to do before you got to the store and buy the 9.0 degree that went farther and straighter that surprised the whitest golf sales guy you’ve ever seen and you buy the dam driver with a pat on the back and a business card from the sales guy. You go outside and realized you fell into the same thing that happened in a garden but the sales guy was a serpent. And voila you go back and do the same dam thing again the following year.

Edited by NoTalentLefty
  • Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 5/5/2023 at 12:47 AM, ECgolf said:

No offense taken. Not sure what I even might be offended by in your response. That said, there has been no constant switching. I haven’t changed drivers in years, but I would if I could find something better. Lessons aren’t going to happen anytime soon. In large part because my life will not allow more time to practice. I play one 18 per week, squeeze in a nine during the week where I can, and practice less than once a week. No room in my life for more golf right now, but I don’t know that I’m ready to give up the quest. 

Good luck on your quest. the answers are in the dirt

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:52 PM, Kingcat990 said:

So what happens when you try 11°+ loft? 

First thought when I saw ss and carry….

OP, you will be much better served playing with lofts, weights (have you tried a bigger back weight ? And for sure 100% shafts.   I’m going through a shaft shootout with my rogue TD LS now and the spin and distance and dispersion for sure changes.  If you want to spend money, good shafts will help you do that and you may see actual gains.  

• Thanks 1

My answer to OP, and some other comments on the front page about endless searching for “unicorns”, is this (and this is based off personal experience and interrogating myself, “why am I buying and selling so much equipment?”)

Now, I’ll preface this by saying there’s a healthy amount of trial and error/experimentation that any avid golfer interested in equipment should do. Figuring out what specs you like, what weight and profile of shaft you prefer will benefit you long term when replacing clubs, and allow you to focus on your *game*, which is why we all do this!!!

At a certain point, what I believe we are doing when we buy shiny new (sometimes used*) thing is: sublimating our intention to be better golfers into spendy behavior. The itch you’re really trying to scratch is a swing flaw you’d like to change, or something along those lines. If you like buying new stuff all the time and this doesn’t apply to you, then by all means have fun with that hobby! But this little essay is just meant for the guy like me who’s looking for something that doesn’t exist. For that guy, find some drills to focus on every day, blame your technique for that flight you’re not seeing (not the shaft), go to the gym and improve your core strength and mobility! All of this is much harder work than buying a golf club online, but maybe you’ll find it more fulfilling fwiw. None of us will ever be quite the golfer we dream of being, but it’s better to strive for that in yourself than blaming your endless equipment carousel. Pro’s don’t tinker that much, you don’t need to either.

All that said, this advice doesn’t apply to putters. You need to be buying as many putters as possible, and if you’re lucky, 10 years from now, you’ll find one you can’t miss with. Just ask Sergio Garcia. 

Titleist TSR2 10* - Accra TZ Five 70 M4

TM SIM2 Ti 15*, M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

Ping i230 4, iBlade 5-9, SM9 46* - KBS Tour 120 S

Ping Glide Pro Forged 50*, Epon Tour M Muko 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Evnroll ER5.1

On 5/1/2023 at 5:40 PM, ECgolf said:

Why can’t I just be happy that I have a driver that outperforms my handicap for me? It’s like I am just dying to spend my money on something new and the data keeps getting in the way. 

LOL You're talking like many people on Golfwrx.  Some people are never happy.  Sometimes constant looking leads to something new, most of the time it doesn't.  Maybe what you have to come to grips with is your level of golf is at it's peak.  Technology may not make a difference.

I change drivers about every 2-4yrs.  Recently switched from TS2 9.5 to TSR2 10', nothing much happened.  But when it was married to Ventus Velocore Blue TR series stiff at D2 swing weight made all the difference down range.  I feel good, so the purchase was worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Well this game can be so frustrated as I tried using just 2 Mini's 11.5* and 13.5* as my playing partner said I don't need a driver as long as I hit my 11.5 BRNR but still not satisfied as I don't have the resources to experiment with different shafts so I going to go with a BRNR 13.5 with MCA Kai'Li Blue and going to give the TM Stealth 2+ a try as those heads don't look like a bowling ball on the end of a stick plus I'm going have a TM tip put on my VA Composites Raijin 2.0 55 shaft. 460 drivers just look so huge so TM is my next move as I like a more compact look. I don't care for the head cover or the red face as I'm not paying extra for MYSTEALTH as they do have some nice options. Maybe for next year if I like the Stealth 2+ I will go for a new 2024 MYSTEALTH.