Versa Jailbird

agood3putt

I got the MH and the WH.  I havent tried the WH yet because I love the MH, but I had to add a lot of lead tape.  A few of us in AZ are lucky enough to know and play with Ricky Ramano, and this "retail" LE addition is far lighter than his.  I added two layers of lead tape and it is rolling great now.  I didnt personally compare it to Ramano's but two layers of lead tape gets it very close to the version this putter was designed after.  

Jailbird lead tape job.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ebbowron said:

I got the MH and the WH.  I havent tried the WH yet because I love the MH, but I had to add a lot of lead tape.  A few of us in AZ are lucky enough to know and play with Ricky Ramano, and this "retail" LE addition is far lighter than his.  I added two layers of lead tape and it is rolling great now.  I didnt personally compare it to Ramano's but two layers of lead tape gets it very close to the version this putter was designed after.  

Jailbird lead tape job.jpg

Interesting. After building a version with a 400g head, I've always thought how light a 380g head would feel. But why would odyssey make a version that doesn't match the Fowler and Clark version? (which are supposedly copies of the Ramano putter)

3 hours ago, dmecca2 said:

Interesting. After building a version with a 400g head, I've always thought how light a 380g head would feel. But why would odyssey make a version that doesn't match the Fowler and Clark version? (which are supposedly copies of the Ramano putter)

Might have to do with weight distribution?  Looks like they mostly used the old jailbird head molds and inserted the new weights in the front of the putter.  Maybe putting even more weight in the front of the head messes up the feel?

also pros play on much much much faster greens than most the the retail customers will ever step foot on.  I couldn’t imagine swinging a 400+ gram head in on an uphill 30 footer on a furry, muni or public green.  Would feel like croquet.

all of this is pure speculation.

Those that have spent some time with both, which do you like better? I have used my MH for almost a month and have the WH still in plastic… Not wanting to take it out and use it so I wouldn’t be able to get a full refund. Definitely don’t need two jailbirds

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

20 minutes ago, onthebogeytrain said:

Those that have spent some time with both, which do you like better? I have used my MH for almost a month and have the WH still in plastic… Not wanting to take it out and use it so I wouldn’t be able to get a full refund. Definitely don’t need two jailbirds

obviously subjective but I couldn't not get anything going with the MH. Just felt mushy to me.

loving the WH, putts feel crisp, cut it down to 35" and it is perfect for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onthebogeytrain said:

I love both inserts and I’m trying to figure out what my next move will be.  I originally thought the WH would be the one for me hands down since my tank has a WH insert. But the more I roll the MH the more I am loving it.  Will have a lot of testing being done this off-season.  

I drunkenly removed the plastic on mine on the practice green after making two putts in a row with it. So I wasn't able to return it, had to take a tiny loss on it. Some sober at home practice in the following days made me realize there was a lot of vibration in the head. Maybe it was just me and how I was striking the putts. I had the WH version. 

Edited by coreyhr

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

Toulon First Run Memphis

5 hours ago, johnnybogey said:

obviously subjective but I couldn't not get anything going with the MH. Just felt mushy to me.

loving the WH, putts feel crisp, cut it down to 35" and it is perfect for me.

My experience as well. Sold my MH version and sticking with the WH for a bit. After a couple rounds of getting used to the weight, my putting stats have gone up and I'm digging it so far. 

Now thinking of extending it and trying it out as an armlock....a forever tinkerer. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 9:16 PM, Cactus Jack said:

Several White Hot models available at my local PGASS…and everyone has a twist in the grip to some degree.

My White Hot came from Callaway last week and has a slightly twisted grip. Very annoying. When I grip it based on grip alignment vs face - the face sits open.

How durable was the original MH face? I remember some QC issues but not sure if it was this one or one of the other MH faces.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

On 10/11/2023 at 3:21 PM, Pnwpingi210 said:

Might have to do with weight distribution?  Looks like they mostly used the old jailbird head molds and inserted the new weights in the front of the putter.  Maybe putting even more weight in the front of the head messes up the feel?

also pros play on much much much faster greens than most the the retail customers will ever step foot on.  I couldn’t imagine swinging a 400+ gram head in on an uphill 30 footer on a furry, muni or public green.  Would feel like croquet.

all of this is pure speculation.

The real version is 600+ grams. Like you can see the lead tape build up. And honestly when I did it (added the tape), it didn’t feel THAT different, but it all of the sudden got the ball to the hole. I think it is just because with a mid-counter balance, the amount of weight seems less noticeable?

I got my WH but had knee surgery today so haven’t had a chance to roll it. I love the MH on 8.5-9.5 greens but considering just keeping both and having the WH (w same weight set up) for faster greens 

My preordered 39" just came in last week. Still have it in the plastic as I figure out what I'm going to do with it... But it seems really well balanced and seems like it would be a pretty natural transition from my 2-Ball.

I know some of you are trying to figure out still where to place your hands on the grip. And maybe this question is entirely dependent on whether your hands are placed lower, in the middle, or higher on the grip, but... How are you moving this putter for the best results? Anyone employ a forward press to start the stroke? Are you finding you're mostly rocking the shoulders, or are you mostly hands? Given the long grip and the counter-balance aspect behind it, do you find that your hands act like a pivot point there on the grip (where the top of the grip moves forward as the club head goes back), or are you moving the whole grip back and through?

Interested in hearing if your previous stroke works just the same with this putter, or you've needed to make changes to your stroke.

9 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

My preordered 39" just came in last week. Still have it in the plastic as I figure out what I'm going to do with it... But it seems really well balanced and seems like it would be a pretty natural transition from my 2-Ball.

I know some of you are trying to figure out still where to place your hands on the grip. And maybe this question is entirely dependent on whether your hands are placed lower, in the middle, or higher on the grip, but... How are you moving this putter for the best results? Anyone employ a forward press to start the stroke? Are you finding you're mostly rocking the shoulders, or are you mostly hands? Given the long grip and the counter-balance aspect behind it, do you find that your hands act like a pivot point there on the grip (where the top of the grip moves forward as the club head goes back), or are you moving the whole grip back and through?

Interested in hearing if your previous stroke works just the same with this putter, or you've needed to make changes to your stroke.

I haven't taken the plastic off the WH, but on the MH I forward press anytime there's distance. It definitely adds loft if I don't and will hop like crazy (crosshand at least. Haven't noticed it regular putting). That happens to me sometimes anyway if I don't press but I've notice it more with the MH. Mid and short putts it rolls very pure for me though.

• Thanks 1

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

On 10/12/2023 at 10:46 PM, ebbowron said:

The real version is 600+ grams. Like you can see the lead tape build up. And honestly when I did it (added the tape), it didn’t feel THAT different, but it all of the sudden got the ball to the hole. I think it is just because with a mid-counter balance, the amount of weight seems less noticeable?

I got my WH but had knee surgery today so haven’t had a chance to roll it. I love the MH on 8.5-9.5 greens but considering just keeping both and having the WH (w same weight set up) for faster greens 

I’ve seen the specs at 400 grams. There is no chance its 600 grams

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

On 10/13/2023 at 10:55 AM, KMeloney said:

I got lucky and found a MH at a local shop recently. I'm 2.5 rounds in and am loving it.  I'm coming from a Stroke Lab Ten (original) and haven't made any changes to my stroke, other than I let the putter "swing" more.  I do a slight fwd press and find it still works with the Versa.  I keep thinking, maybe I've been putting wrong all these years, not letting the putter swing more lol. There's probably a little less hands, and sometimes I do feel like the hands are more of a pivot point, but I don't do anything consciously with the stroke.  It's quite fun to putt now... distance control has been great and short ones even better.  I also messed around holding the putter grip higher, but found that holding the putter around 35-36" (I'm tall) works just fine for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Triple 🔹 9*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 15*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird

41 minutes ago, iputts_28 said:

I got lucky and found a MH at a local shop recently. I'm 2.5 rounds in and am loving it.  I'm coming from a Stroke Lab Ten (original) and haven't made any changes to my stroke, other than I let the putter "swing" more.  I do a slight fwd press and find it still works with the Versa.  I keep thinking, maybe I've been putting wrong all these years, not letting the putter swing more lol. There's probably a little less hands, and sometimes I do feel like the hands are more of a pivot point, but I don't do anything consciously with the stroke.  It's quite fun to putt now... distance control has been great and short ones even better.  I also messed around holding the putter grip higher, but found that holding the putter around 35-36" (I'm tall) works just fine for me.

Pretty much the exact same feeling for me when I switched to this style putter about 10 years ago.  It’s definitely great move for some people like myself.  I am also loving my MH version too and think it could find a permanent place in my bag.  It’s sucks that my season is almost over with bad weather setting in. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Pretty much the exact same feeling for me when I switched to this style putter about 10 years ago.  It’s definitely great move for some people like myself.  I am also loving my MH version too and think it could find a permanent place in my bag.  It’s sucks that my season is almost over with bad weather setting in. 

I'm in the same boat with the weather... it's going to be a long 6 month wait to see how the Versa holds up under pressure in a tournament. 

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max 3wood 15*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Jailbird

2 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Did you get the WH version too?  

I didn't... I thought about picking up the WH to compare, but the MH felt great in the shop and after my first round I knew I was set with the MH (it doesn't feel all that different to me than the MH star insert on the Ten I'm coming from).  So far I've played 18 on fast greens, 18 on punched greens, and two 9 hole rounds on slowish greens (post punch but healed).  Great putting days across the board.  I really hope this isn't just a honeymoon thing!

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max 3wood 15*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Jailbird

11 minutes ago, iputts_28 said:

I didn't... I thought about picking up the WH to compare, but the MH felt great in the shop and after my first round I knew I was set with the MH (it doesn't feel all that different to me than the MH star insert on the Ten I'm coming from).  So far I've played 18 on fast greens, 18 on punched greens, and two 9 hole rounds on slowish greens (post punch but healed).  Great putting days across the board.  I really hope this isn't just a honeymoon thing!

Yeah, the MH is a great insert.  To me, I feel like I can slow my stroke down with the MH because the ball comes off quicker (at least that’s how it feels to me).  Its been hard for me to adjust to the MH since I’ve been playing a 38 inch WH Tank for so long.  I still find myself blowing putts past the hole since the ball jumps off the face more.  I may just end up playing the MH on slower greens and the WH on faster greens next season😃

• Like 2

Anyone using this as an armlock?

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

Is anyone who ordered the MH version still waiting on their putter to arrive? I ordered one through my pro shop who went through a callaway rep, and anytime I ask where it is or if it's on the way they tell me that I'm last on the list. Now that everyone is receiving their WH versions, I would think that odyssey would be done sending out the MH version.